College Football 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Foley

I might be a little biased (I'm trying not to be) but I think choosing teams for the playoffs based on whether they won their conference title is really not the way to find the 4 best teams ( if that's what the CFP committee is really trying to do).

To me it's a bit like saying the 4 teams that qualify for the Champions League each year should be the Premiership winner, the winner of the Championship, and then the winners of League 1 and League 2, which is a bit silly.
This is a terrible analogy :lol:

the whole “committee picking teams” seems so bizarre to me as someone who did not grow up with US college sports. Feels very arbitrary and unfulfilling.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This is a terrible analogy :lol:

the whole “committee picking teams” seems so bizarre to me as someone who did not grow up with US college sports. Feels very arbitrary and unfulfilling.
Why is it a terrible analogy. A team from one of the smaller conferences has about as much chance of beating a Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama as a Duvision 2 team in England has of beating a Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc... The team from the smaller conference is D1 as are Georgia, Ohio State etc.. and the team from Division 2 in England is a member of the football league as are City, Liverpool etc...

The different leagues in England are just like the different conferences in D1 college football.

Charlie Foley

Why is it a terrible analogy. A team from one of the smaller conferences has about as much chance of beating a Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama as a Duvision 2 team in England has of beating a Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc... The team from the smaller conference is D1 as are Georgia, Ohio State etc.. and the team from Division 2 in England is a member of the football league as are City, Liverpool etc...

The different leagues in England are just like the different conferences in D1 college football.
Because there is a D2, and a D3, which are surely better comparisons to the lower leagues in England.

the stronger/weaker D1 conferences are more like stronger/weaker top flight winners across Europe like Man City vs say Porto or Ajax…or Celtic/Rangers…qualifying for the champions league

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Because there is a D2, and a D3, which are surely better comparisons to the lower leagues in England.

the stronger/weaker D1 conferences are more like stronger/weaker top flight winners across Europe like Man City vs say Porto or Ajax…or Celtic/Rangers…qualifying for the champions league
Not at all, a D3 team in college football would have no chance against a D1 school whereas a team from the bottom tier of the football league (league 2) in England could easily upset a Premier League team - maybe not one of the really top teams, but definitely a team from the bottom half of the Premier League. It happens in the FA Cup all the time.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
A powerhouse D-3 side like Mount Union would be steamrolled in the opening 15 minutes by a top tier D1-A program. Even the bottom rung of D1-A programs would manhandle a side like Mount Union by the third quarter end, if not by halftime. The gulf in ability, talent, coaching, systems, and so forth is too far a gap.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
A powerhouse D-3 side like Mount Union would be steamrolled in the opening 15 minutes by a top tier D1-A program. Even the bottom rung of D1-A programs would manhandle a side like Mount Union by the third quarter end, if not by halftime. The gulf in ability, talent, coaching, systems, and so forth is too far a gap.
Yes I agree. A top D-3 team is not beating a D-1A team.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Michigan vs Ohio State not on BT or ESPN Iplayer? :(

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We are all Blue and Maize and we know it :devil:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I just need one of you to lose, don't care who, to open up a spot for SC. Thanks!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is some bullshit.

All the talk after last year, about the countdown to this day, from Day and the players... All for naught.

I really hope this doesn't get rewarded with a slot in the playoff. Serious questions have to be asked of Day now. No question.

Congratulations (ugh) to the guys up north. Hope Georgia crush ye in the playoff.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It so happens the first game I ever watched was Ohio State vs them in 2006, with us #1 and them #2, at Ohio Stadium. We beat them to punch out ticket to the BCS game (which never happened, I think there was a hurricane or something, plus amnesia).

Was hoping for a similar repeat with both teams entering this game undefeated.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I would like to thank OSU and Clemson for both making USC's route to the playoffs easier today*.

*yes, I know, we are so going to lose tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.