College Football 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
TBOW up to shady business again I see by tapping up a player. You’re not supposed to be able to have those conversations until the player is in the portal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
TBOW up to shady business again I see by tapping up a player. You’re not supposed to be able to have those conversations until the player is in the portal.
Exactly. Although, I'm not confident whether this will be followed up on by anyone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why doesn't he tell us the intent of NIL then?

If someone's NIL market value is $3M they get that amount.
Its little more than legalized bribery masquerading as a noble cause of compensating amateur athletes, where the schools with the wealthiest benefactors can buy the best players, often to the detriment of things like competition and hard work. Soon, it will be little more than a swinging dick contest among Billionaire boosters, which means the teams these people support are the ones that will win the nattys.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Its little more than legalized bribery masquerading as a noble cause of compensating amateur athletes, where the schools with the wealthiest benefactors can buy the best players, often to the detriment of things like competition and hard work. Soon, it will be little more than a swinging dick contest among Billionaire boosters, which means the teams these people support are the ones that will win the nattys.
How is that different from the pre-NIL landscape? Can't remember the last time a non-big team won the national championship

I absolutely agree it's legalized bribery, which has been accepted recently only because for years student athletes were denied compensation for their efforts by the NCAA and participant schools.

I'd welcome efforts to level the playing ground in this new era by introducing measures like NIL earning caps (would you go to Bama and earn $15k or go to Tennessee and earn $150k?).

But I'm not sure how this drastically changes the landscape. Boosters have been paying off parents' mortgages for decades now. Talent has historically gravitated towards the big schools. Only thing that changes is that now, players are getting to enjoy some of the wealth they generate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How is that different from the pre-NIL landscape? Can't remember the last time a non-big team won the national championship

I absolutely agree it's legalized bribery, which has been accepted recently only because for years student athletes were denied compensation for their efforts by the NCAA and participant schools.

I'd welcome efforts to level the playing ground in this new era by introducing measures like NIL earning caps (would you go to Bama and earn $15k or go to Tennessee and earn $150k?).

But I'm not sure how this drastically changes the landscape. Boosters have been paying off parents' mortgages for decades now. Talent has historically gravitated towards the big schools. Only thing that changes is that now, players are getting to enjoy some of the wealth they generate.
Pre-NIL this sort of thing was still happening, albeit sporadically and on the down low (via the bag man).

I'm not against these kids getting paid, but there do need to be some parameters to ensure its not at the expense of competition. Otherwise college football will quickly devolve into little more than competing billionaires buying the best players for their respective alma maters.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
NIL is horrible. Creates a caste system within college football. All players should be paid something, not just five stars.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I was agog when Jackson State stole the number one ranked defensive player from us in February due in large part to the NIL that was available to him. I also criticize FSU for not blowing what Barstool Sports was offering out of the water.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

It just makes it easier for such people to donate and opens avenues for new people to jump in in a legal manner. It’s sorta kinda like removing an invisible salary cap.

It’s how A&M just bought one of the best recruiting classes ever with their Big Oil/Ag money. Teams that were already playing fast and loose with the rules regarding boosters (read: SEC) were well prepared to capitalize on this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Today’s NIL special : A complimentary Lamborghini for attending UT.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is already a fecking farce.

Well, it seems as if he made it by getting the Lambo. Bravo to him.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Supposedly Riley was tampering again, this time with Xavier Worthy (a Lamborghini of a WR).

I never saw an article state who it actually was, it was just inferred that it was USC I guess.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is already a fecking farce.

Well, it seems as if he made it by getting the Lambo. Bravo to him.
You just know how this may end...in a crash involving injuries or worse, at which point the dealership and NIL will come under serious scrutiny.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
At least we finally got some Booty (John David Booty his uncle was a famous QB recruit back in the day).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This celebration will take on a whole new meaning if/when he gets to the NFL and he gets sacked.

adexkola

Supports
Ok on one hand, Saban complaining about NIL influencing recruits to go to Texas (a state he's plundered for years for talent) is hilarious.

On the other hand, I'm sure Texas booster money runs deep. Begs the question of how their teams have been underperforming for years...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Saban now taking shots at Deion and Jackson St about paying Hunter $1m in NIL to ditch FSU.

adexkola

Supports
More NIL stuff, now from Columbus...

Link

When speaking to 100 members of the Columbus business community on Thursday morning, [Ryan] Day said that he believes it will take $13 million from the local business community to keep the Buckeyes roster intact...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Insane isn't it?

I'm starting to agree with @Raoul on this...
Fortunately, we at Miami now have a mega billionaire now bank rolling us. But think of the big football colleges who don’t. They will fade over time because they can’t afford to buy HS kids houses, sports cars, and speed boats. It’s a giant mess that needs to be tightly regulated before it ruins the game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Fortunately, we at Miami now have a mega billionaire now bank rolling us. But think of the big football colleges who don’t. They will fade over time because they can’t afford to buy HS kids houses, sports cars, and speed boats. It’s a giant mess that needs to be tightly regulated before it ruins the game.
We’re aiming for $40-50k ‘salary‘ as minimum wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.