Film Coming to America 2

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Same, considering the shitshow I was expecting it was a humorous enough movie with some amusing nods to the original
It's the kind of movie you can throw on in the background while you're actively doing something else imo, generally background noise but a few moments that grab your attention.
I'm a big fan of that genre of movie, whatever it's defined as.

The first one was way better, but that was to be expected.

Zen

It was a "15" in the UK, which seems about right.

I watched when it came out on video the UK, which would've been about 1990 so I was 12.

I remember getting the "Delirious" stand up on video for Christmas one year as a kid. My parents gave zero fecks about ratings!
I remember watching stuff like The Fugitive, Cliffhanger, Street Fighter and other not PG stuff in the cinemas.... who cared back then!

Except well, it was a cinema owned by a serial killer :lol:

Hoof the ball

The one criticism that's being levelled at it is that Akeem (Murphy) isn't the central character driving it, and therefore suffers for it. Also, his character is more like his strictly traditional father rather than the progressive thinking 'sheep herder' that he was in the original. :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Did akeem get date raped then? Genuine question, I'm about 15mins in.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
It was a "15" in the UK, which seems about right.

I watched when it came out on video the UK, which would've been about 1990 so I was 12.

I remember getting the "Delirious" stand up on video for Christmas one year as a kid. My parents gave zero fecks about ratings!
I think I might have been 10 the day my friend and I found a VHS copy of Braveheart and started watching it. We got to the scene with all the hanged people in the house before we promptly decided we weren't old enough for this yet.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I was pleasantly surprised by this. Worst thing was Lavelle Junson's acting.

Hamnat

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Worst thing was Lavelle Junson's acting.
So agree. His acting was awful. He was unfunny a waste of space. And given how pivotal his role was it dragged the movie down.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, it wasn't that bad. If you don't try and compare it to the original it's pretty decent. It's just a shame that it's going to be compared to one of the best comedies ever made.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Watching the first one and it’s great. Will watch Coming to America 2 straight after.

Paxi

Yeah, it wasn't that bad. If you don't try and compare it to the original it's pretty decent. It's just a shame that it's going to be compared to one of the best comedies ever made.
Personally thought Trading Places edges it. One thing for sure, Eddie Murphy was absolutely amazing back in the day.

GBBQ

It was fine, been watching so many gritty box sets that it was a nice change of pace but it kind of just fizzled out by the end. Definitely could have been a whole lot worse.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It was.......okay, but only for nostalgia purposes. As a stand alone film it would go unnoticed, because it wasn't particularly funny, but if you fancy seeing the old cast back together then it's just about worth a couple of hours of your life.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It was.......okay, but only for nostalgia purposes. As a stand alone film it would go unnoticed, because it wasn't particularly funny, but if you fancy seeing the old cast back together then it's just about worth a couple of hours of your life.
Definitely worth one, and probably only one, watch. Obviously it was never going to be as good as the original. But I loved the nostalgia. And laughed at some points.

Too many people expecting too much, that's their fault not the film's.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Personally thought Trading Places edges it. One thing for sure, Eddie Murphy was absolutely amazing back in the day.
I'm the same as well. Yeah, I like to forget 90s/00s Murphy and just remember 80s Murphy. Special mention goes to Shrek because why not?

Paxi

I'm the same as well. Yeah, I like to forget 90s/00s Murphy and just remember 80s Murphy. Special mention goes to Shrek because why not?
The donkey in shrek is good.
Murphy is infectious when at his best.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Put your hands together for Sexual chocolate...they play so fine, don't you agree? I agree.

Rudie

Mentary
I actually enjoyed it, I didn't have high hopes after the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised!

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I can’t believe they worked a ‘benson’ reference in there. I wonder how many got that joke.

InfiniteBoredom

I watched the original a few days ago, didn’t find that funny at all so will give this one a pass.

Always more of a fan of his stand ups than films.

evil_geko

Yeah, this video is over the top like everything he does, but I pretty much agree with everything. I even went back and finished the movie after quitting firs time around, my expectations were low but boy is it a terrible sequel, worse than I expected.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Haha he had women washing his penis so funny hahaha.

It’s the sort of comedy fitting for edgy 12 year olds.
You said he like his stand-up yet they are probably more offensive by modern sensibilities.

I like his Mr. T bit but that would be more fitting of your comedy for edgy 12 years old description.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’ve never even seen the first one but I like Eddie Murphy, especially his stand up. I thought Dolemite was great, so might give the first one a go tomorrow.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I watched the original a few days ago, didn’t find that funny at all so will give this one a pass.

Always more of a fan of his stand ups than films.
:lol:
Haha he had women washing his penis so funny hahaha.

It’s the sort of comedy fitting for edgy 12 year olds.
When did the film come out? Like 88 or some shit? Be a terrible film now probably but was hilarious back in the day, so it is nostalgia carrying the 2nd film tbf.

Might watch the first one tonight in bed :drool:

InfiniteBoredom

You said he like his stand-up yet they are probably more offensive by modern sensibilities.

I like his Mr. T bit but that would be more fitting of your comedy for edgy 12 years old description.
I don’t have to find all of his stand up materials funny to like it. Some of it was really wrong/offensive but absolutely hilarious at the same time, the gay police siren in Delirious comes to mind.

Bits in the film like penis washing or had the fiancée barking to demonstrate how subservient they are to him just seem juvenile.

Sylar

I watched the first a few weeks ago and it still holds up.

This one was a lot of fun and some funny moments too. I find the barber shop guys funny as a throwback to offensive humour that you get from friends but somebody outside would try and see it as a good way to make you lose your job or something

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah number one was fantastic and still is. Still watch it regular.
Of course nostalgia plays a part in it, but if it didn't exist and came out this year, it wouldn't work, just like most of Arnies films, but they're still great to watch.

80s comedy is so much better than the crap brought out the last 20 or so years. Forced comedy like fecking a pie etc is what we mostly have today.
80s was free flowing story telling with subtle, but perfectly timed comedy.

Anyway, as for this one, I always knew it would be a disaster and for the most part it was.
I didn't mind some of it, and it was worth a watch but for me.

1. The story was rushed, The original had a focused story and built around this. This just jumped from place to place
2. The plot itself wasn't worth from the off just wasn't good
3. I did not like the acting of the main character Lavelle

Gotta say though, I cannot believe all the cast from the barbers are still alive, that was a pleasant surprise