Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yeah I'm not really expecting anything from it but will obviously check it out. Not sure why there's been such a long clamour for him to release an album anyway. He's never really done that as a solo artist.
Yeah that's true. I think myself and others just miss OutKast :lol: Is Big Boi still active? You still hear people mention Andre but I've not heard of anything from Big Boi in years. I don't really follow much these days though, so may have missed any music he has released.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On a separate note, I did just read that Run The Jewels 5 is in the works.
I feel like I've grown out of RTJ. Really didn't feel RTJ4 and I find myself going back to their music less and less.

Abizzz

There might be a better thread but it still fits here:
Dutch documentary from 1986 (90% is in English).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I love that he accepts it and doesn't just do it because his fans will lap it up anyway. No rapper ever had more than 3 truly great albums in them in my honest opinion.
Eh? This is false first and foremost

Second, the idea that older rappers have nothing to rap about is plain wrong. Nas, Little Brother are good examples.

Yeah that's true. I think myself and others just miss OutKast :lol: Is Big Boi still active? You still hear people mention Andre but I've not heard of anything from Big Boi in years. I don't really follow much these days though, so may have missed any music he has released.
He is very active. He's released at least 4 albums post OutKast. Very good stuff.

Abizzz

Eh? This is false first and foremost

Second, the idea that older rappers have nothing to rap about is plain wrong. Nas, Little Brother are good examples.
Most importantly my statement is right. Nas has many good albums but only Illmatic is great.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Most importantly my statement is right. Nas has many good albums but only Illmatic is great.
Yeah I had a little think and couldn't think of anyone with more than three. I love Kendrick but I think only GKMC and TPAB are truly 'great'.

adexkola

Supports
Well you're wrong.

Illmatic is transcendent.

IWW, Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes are great

Yeah I had a little think and couldn't think of anyone with more than three. I love Kendrick but I think only GKMC and TPAB are truly 'great'.
Section 80 and DAMN also qualify IMO

Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, Black Album, American Gangster

Kanye: College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, MBDTF

Common: Resurrection, Like Water for Chocolate, Be, Finding Forever

Exceeding 3 great albums is tough but a few artists have managed it

Abizzz

Well you're wrong.

Illmatic is transcendent.

IWW, Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes are great
OK lets just agree that Illmatic is superior to the other 3? To me greatness is the highest level. If you have a higher level to describe Illmatic lesser ones can be desribed as great, granted.

As an example I would have a lot harder time trying to argue that Ready to Die and Life after Death aren't on the same level. Both great in my book, great being the best achievable.

adexkola

Supports
OK lets just agree that Illmatic is superior the other 3? To me greatness is the highest level. If you have a higher level to describe Illmatic lesser ones can become great too, granted.
Oh well if we're going by that standard of greatness being Illmatic then most artists don't have a great album, and Nas like you said only has 1 :D

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Andre is too hung up on his age
I agree to an extent, but if he's happy to call it a day on rap then nobody can begrudge him that. I think with age though you can still write meaningful music. Em still going strong, and Nas is releasing potential album of the year material. I suppose some of these guys are just like us though and want to call it a day and enjoy life, especially with the wealth they have.

Pickle85

Oh well if we're going by that standard of greatness being Illmatic then most artists don't have a great album, and Nas like you said only has 1 :D
Agreed. For me Illmatic is the best rap album ever made, so if an album has to match that to qualify as great then no others have.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Kanye West (my GOAT) is dropping a new album with Ty Dolla $ign tonight. The leaks sound very promising.
Just listened. It's not bad, better than I expected. Need a few more playthroughs to properly take it in but so far Stars, Back To Me, Vultures and Carnival are the standouts.

Pickle85

Just listened. It's not bad, better than I expected. Need a few more playthroughs to properly take it in but so far Stars, Back To Me, Vultures and Carnival are the standouts.
Really? I switched it off after the first four tracks as it sounded dreadful...does it improve? That tune with the 'I'm just here to get paid' hook summed up what his career has become for me. The beats felt laboured and uneasy and while he's never been the best lyricist his rhymes were pretty horrible. This is all based on c. 1/4 of the album though, so I could well be talking shite :lol:

BootsyCollins

Oh, and speaking of Outkast related material. Killer Mike better win rap album of the year.
Get in!

Kanye and Ty is great imo. So many good songs and the production is amazing as always.
I dont know if it should be in this thread, but Ushers album is weak as hell. Was so looking forward to it, and then its this. Sad times.

american dream best album so far this year and have a feeling you are going to be hard pressed to top it.

youngrell

Enjoyed the first listen to the new Rhymefest album last Friday. Need to give it a few more spins this week.

Shame how underwhelming his career panned out.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Really? I switched it off after the first four tracks as it sounded dreadful...does it improve? That tune with the 'I'm just here to get paid' hook summed up what his career has become for me. The beats felt laboured and uneasy and while he's never been the best lyricist his rhymes were pretty horrible. This is all based on c. 1/4 of the album though, so I could well be talking shite :lol:
It's nothing special by any stretch of the imagination, I just enjoyed the beats and sampling on the ones mentioned. STARS and VULTURES especially. The lyrics are utterly forgettable throughout the album.

Pickle85

It's nothing special by any stretch of the imagination, I just enjoyed the beats and sampling on the ones mentioned. STARS and VULTURES especially. The lyrics are utterly forgettable throughout the album.
Shall give them a listen, ta!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
90s-style tease for the new J. Cole album:

Not a whole lot of actual music on show but the slithers we get sound goooood.

Pickle85

New Ghetts album out today. He's an excellent lyricist imo but I'm not a huge fan of the beasts. Leans a little heavily on the 'dark throbbing bass and snare' thing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
90s-style tease for the new J. Cole album:

Not a whole lot of actual music on show but the slithers we get sound goooood.
Didn’t really rate The Off-Season so hopefully this is a return to form.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
K-dot was bored apparently. Hopefully both Cole and Drake come at him and each other and we can have some fun. Pusha lurking in the back ground …

TsuWave

a lot of Eminem's music aged like avocados but my shuffle playlist landed on this and I remembered (ah) how good Sticky's verse was: