Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might be mistaken but for DMX, two albums were in one year. His productivity and consistency was brilliant at that time

Red_Aaron

Tupac for me. Me against the world and the Makaveli album are his finest works. With the iconic All Eyez On Me sandwiching in between.
Agree on MAtW and Makaveli being his best work. All eyez is certainly iconic but for me it's a poor album, probably the album of pacs I revisit the least. R U Still Down is a much better album though really it's a random collection of unreleased songs

3 on the bounce is actually pretty tough, of those listed I'd probably have kendrick closest.

Ghost nearly managed it with Ironman then supreme clientele but Bulletproof Wallets was a disappointment - had it got the clearances for the dropped songs it would have been much stronger joint.

If you allow the wu as a collective they're pretty unstoppable
Enter the 36
Tical
Return to the 36
Liquid swords
Only Built
Ironman
Bobby Digital
Forever
(think that's roughly in order)
The Rza was on some streak

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Agree on MAtW and Makaveli being his best work. All eyez is certainly iconic but for me it's a poor album, probably the album of pacs I revisit the least. R U Still Down is a much better album though really it's a random collection of unreleased songs
Interesting you say aeom is poor, I understand people saying it isn't that good because of all the filler tracks made for the clubs but some of Pacs best songs are on that album. And in terms of production imo it's one of the best rap albums of all time . If the playlist was something like this:

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
Skandolouz
2 of Amerkaz Most Wanted
How do U Want It
Heartz of Men
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
California Love
I ain't Mad At Cha
Holla at Me
Wonder Why They Call You
Ratha Be Ya
Run Tha Streetz

It would probably be Pacs best album.

Don't really like the posthumous albums as most are pretty much remixes that have beats that sound nothing like Pac's music. Frankly some of the songs have been butchered, thankfully lot of the og versions have been released which gives you a better idea of how the songs were intended to be presented . But agree R U Still Down and UTEOT are two of the better ones.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just seen the clips of the latest Donda show, and I just have zero interest in Kanye now. Between what's looking like a fake break up with Kim, and poor music since LOP, I feel over Kanye, and I was a huge fan in the past.

JoaquinJoaquin

Interesting you say aeom is poor, I understand people saying it isn't that good because of all the filler tracks made for the clubs but some of Pacs best songs are on that album. And in terms of production imo it's one of the best rap albums of all time . If the playlist was something like this:

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
Skandolouz
2 of Amerkaz Most Wanted
How do U Want It
Heartz of Men
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
California Love
I ain't Mad At Cha
Holla at Me
Wonder Why They Call You
Ratha Be Ya
Run Tha Streetz

It would probably be Pacs best album.

Don't really like the posthumous albums as most are pretty much remixes that have beats that sound nothing like Pac's music. Frankly some of the songs have been butchered, thankfully lot of the og versions have been released which gives you a better idea of how the songs were intended to be presented . But agree R U Still Down and UTEOT are two of the better ones.
I don't even count them as true 2pac albums tbh. Chances are he would of hated most of the tracks on these albums.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s so nice to hear a Kendrick verse again.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just seen the clips of the latest Donda show, and I just have zero interest in Kanye now. Between what's looking like a fake break up with Kim, and poor music since LOP, I feel over Kanye, and I was a huge fan in the past.
You mean Ye?

20solskjaer

Everyone bored with Donda?

Did anyone else check out any of last fridays other releases? Was a stacked day for me, Donda wouldn’t even make my top 5 from last weekend :lol:

GRIP dropped an album of the year contender (for me) with ‘I Died For This!?’

also had new Joey Cool, Belly, Flee Lord/Roc Marciano, B-real/Scott Storch and Curren$y

really enjoyed the Belly album and im a big Joey Cool and Flee Lord fan so they were great too

doubt theres many listeners for them in here but figured i would post before Drake drops tomorrow

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Everyone bored with Donda?

Did anyone else check out any of last fridays other releases? Was a stacked day for me, Donda wouldn’t even make my top 5 from last weekend :lol:

GRIP dropped an album of the year contender (for me) with ‘I Died For This!?’

also had new Joey Cool, Belly, Flee Lord/Roc Marciano, B-real/Scott Storch and Curren$y

really enjoyed the Belly album and im a big Joey Cool and Flee Lord fan so they were great too

doubt theres many listeners for them in here but figured i would post before Drake drops tomorrow
Great album. Still not on the level of album of the year( we're all alone in this together) for me though.

Pickle85

Lil Simz's new album is brilliant. Never knew she collaborated with the dude from Sault (who are themselves brilliant) but it's immediately apparent. She's great lyrically, really thoughtful, intricate patterns and laid back AF. The album likely won't get the mainstream props it deserves outside of worthy review coverage because she's a British woman that doesn't always rap about the conventional genre tropes but I reckon she's one of the best about at the mo. To have Drake and Kanye both drop an album within a week of you and to have a claim on outdoing them both (pretty clearly to me but horses for courses) is quite something.

IhabX7

Lil Simz's new album is brilliant. Never knew she collaborated with the dude from Sault (who are themselves brilliant) but it's immediately apparent. She's great lyrically, really thoughtful, intricate patterns and laid back AF. The album likely won't get the mainstream props it deserves outside of worthy review coverage because she's a British woman that doesn't always rap about the conventional genre tropes but I reckon she's one of the best about at the mo. To have Drake and Kanye both drop an album within a week of you and to have a claim on outdoing them both (pretty clearly to me but horses for courses) is quite something.
Great album, she's on a roll. Drake's album is not good for me, it's too generic and formulaic and caters to a large fanbase. Kanye's album has it's moments but it is ultimately mediocre.

Pickle85

Great album, she's on a roll. Drake's album is not good for me, it's too generic and formulaic and caters to a large fanbase. Kanye's album has it's moments but it is ultimately mediocre.
Agreed with all here. New Common album is pretty good. Nothing revolutionary but a good listen.

Lil Simz is so good, I’ve just added her album to my library so I‘ll get round to listening to it soon. I have a backlog of albums to listen to:rolleyes::wenger:

Sault are amazing not many people know of them for some reason, Wildfires is my song!!

Pickle85

Lil Simz is so good, I’ve just added her album to my library so I‘ll get round to listening to it soon. I have a backlog of albums to listen to:rolleyes::wenger:

Sault are amazing not many people know of them for some reason, Wildfires is my song!!
So true! Not many people can release two albums in one year that both have a claim on top five of the year.

Sara125

I know people like to joke about how irrelevant he is but I LOVE me some August Alsina and his latest IG post is very concerning :(

For context, he posted a cryptic message about a ‘last victory lap around the sun’, blogs are saying he’s implying a retirement from music but it could possibly be worse as he’s been battling an incurable autoimmune liver disease for the last few years

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Quite enjoying MONTERO.

Lost In The Citadel and Tales Of Dominica both standouts for me, aside from the singles obviously.

Godfather

Do we have any updates on when Utopia from Travis Scott will drop? Cant wait in all honesty