Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Come on...
Where is that conspiracy theory thread? :lol::lol:

@adexkola ’Nothing Lasts Forever’ best track on that album for me. I definitely didn’t appreciate it all that much when first out (I was a bit young) but years later I did. Everyone always says ‘I wish Nas was bigger than he is!’ But I don’t get that, he’s in almost everyones top 5 Ffs :lol:. Commercial success isn’t everything.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How highly do you guys on here actually rate Nas? I won’t lie, ‘If I ruled the world’ is my choice for #1. Masterpiece of a track. If I had to play a track to someone who dislikes hip hop I would play that track to change their warped mindset. Plus it has Lauryn Hill.
Top 3 of all time despite having a inconsistent discography. I kinda stopped listening to new Nas music after Streets Disciple. Though Life is Good was a great listen, I rarely ventured back to it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
How highly do you guys on here actually rate Nas? I won’t lie, ‘If I ruled the world’ is my choice for #1. Masterpiece of a track. If I had to play a track to someone who dislikes hip hop I would play that track to change their warped mindset. Plus it has Lauryn Hill.
My favourite rapper, by some distance too. Illmatic was the reason I fell in love with hip hop.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Isaiah Rashad says his new album is called The House Is Burning.

Can't wait! Cilvia Demo and Suns Tirade are two of my favourite albums.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not sure it counts as 'commercial' but i'm thoroughly enjoying the Freddie Gibbs & Madlib album, and Jim Jones album is excellent too :drool:

The DJ Mustard has been on rotation also, some good tracks on that.

There's been a decent amount of good music with replay value so far this year. Compared to last year where we were bombarded with half-assed albums every week

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoying Revenge Of The Dreamers.

Uncredited Kendrick adlibs and also just making me want Mirrorland asap. JID is great too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
XXXTentacion was the third most streamed artist on Spotify this year with Emo Hip Hop the fastest growing genre. I wonder if it has peaked or if next year will be the year of Emo Hip Hop. Latin Hip Hop/Pop seems to be growing in prominence too with the rise Cardi B, Bad Bunny etc.
I felt that it was necessary to point out that this post is the only mention of Bad Bunny on this forum.

Sara125

Anyone listen to these fairly new rappers like G Herbo, Lil Baby, Gunna etc.? What do you guys think of them? I can’t really get into them like a lot of people my age do cos they all sound the same to me but I fw roddy ricch and I like the song ‘close friends’ by lil baby

adexkola

Supports
Anyone listen to these fairly new rappers like G Herbo, Lil Baby, Gunna etc.? What do you guys think of them? I can’t really get into them like a lot of people my age do cos they all sound the same to me but I fw roddy ricch and I like the song ‘close friends’ by lil baby
They cool for the turn up

R'hllor

I see NF dropped his album yesterday or so, might check it out later tonight.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Chance album is getting destroyed. I’m not surprised tbh.

DoomSlayer

Phenomenal album/EP.
Damn, I can't believe someone actually listens to Benny here. :keano: That real hip hop is what I'm all about.

Which one was your favourite track out of this project? I thoroughly loved every single one, but the two joints with Black Thought and Pusha T were just insane.

adexkola

Supports
Damn, I can't believe someone actually listens to Benny here. :keano: That real hip hop is what I'm all about.

Which one was your favourite track out of this project? I thoroughly loved every single one, but the two joints with Black Thought and Pusha T were just insane.
The one with Jadakiss and 38 Spesh.

"Still potent had to do a two step on it", bust out laughing when I heard it

DoomSlayer

The one with Jadakiss and 38 Spesh.

"Still potent had to do a two step on it", bust out laughing when I heard it
Never got into Jadakiss much but he is a certified legend for sure.

In a recent interview from Benny, he said they are doing something big and will be releasing it under Shady records so I can't wait for that, it would be crazy and would elevate the Grizelda crew to a different level.

I'm curious - what are the thoughts from the more hardcore hip fans here on Eminem? Deserving to be called a legend or a "culture vulture" as someone like Lord Jamar would say? :D

lsd

The Oracle

In a recent interview from Benny, he said they are doing something big and will be releasing it under Shady records so I can't wait for that, it would be crazy and would elevate the Grizelda crew to a different level.

I'm curious - what are the thoughts from the more hardcore hip fans here on Eminem? Deserving to be called a legend or a "culture vulture" as someone like Lord Jamar would say? :D

Cant listen to anything he did after the Eminem Show album . Up to that he did enough to be a legend.

As for Lord Jamar I used to love Brand Nubian and always thought he was this intelligent deep thinker but watching him now on the Vlad show he comes across as incredibly ignorant .

Not as bad as Kam who I rated as well for the same reasons and now cant listen to the ignorant rubbish he says

adexkola

Supports

I honestly hope that the Griselda crew stays away from Shady Records as far as producing goes, and only utilizes them for distribution. The worst thing that can happen to them is forcing them into a standard single with some RnB singer. They need to focus on their niche.

Eminem is a legend. He's given a lot to the culture so him being labeled a culture vulture is just rich, coming from "the Pras of Brand Nubian".

Roosney

Still gutted they signed to Shady Records. Happy for them getting a major deal but I just can't stand Eminem and they are so out of place on the label. The latest Conway song "The Bang" is totally ruined by an Eminem feature.

Roosney

Crowns for Kings. To be fair I haven't listened to the EP for some time now, Tana Talk 3 was way better.

DoomSlayer

Cant listen to anything he did after the Eminem Show album . Up to that he did enough to be a legend.

As for Lord Jamar I used to love Brand Nubian and always thought he was this intelligent deep thinker but watching him now on the Vlad show he comes across as incredibly ignorant .

Not as bad as Kam who I rated as well for the same reasons and now cant listen to the ignorant rubbish he says
Fair enough. I wonder a lot about Lord Jamar, on certain topics he seems like a very enlightened person and then on others he is totally ignorant, whilst pretending to actually know it all.
I honestly hope that the Griselda crew stays away from Shady Records as far as producing goes, and only utilizes them for distribution. The worst thing that can happen to them is forcing them into a standard single with some RnB singer. They need to focus on their niche.

Eminem is a legend. He's given a lot to the culture so him being labeled a culture vulture is just rich, coming from "the Pras of Brand Nubian".
I don't think Shady records will have anything to do with the production, since even if Grizelda are signed to them, they still put out a ton of stuff independently, plus they are definitely the type of dudes to not let someone else dictate what their music should be, so I don't believe they would have signed to a label otherwise.

The most disappointing thing about Lord Jamar's hate on Em is that the latter used to shout out Brand Nubian at his concerts, rock their T-shirts and even pay homage in some of his older music. It's totally cool to not like his music, but by now it's obvious that Lord Jamar is just hating. I'm not the biggest Jay-Z fan, but I would never dispute anyone's opinion that he can be considered the GOAT or one of the GOATs. It's totally subjective anyway, I personally can't say there is one GOAT, might be able to give a top 10 just to be fair to all the incredible artists that have been a part of hip hop.

Last edited:

Lay

Eminem is great even if he longed peaked a decade or so ago. As for Lord Jamar it seems his full time job now is to be an Eminem hater.

R'hllor

Already? His debut was decent I thought, if not depressing
His debut, what album you mean? but yea his stuff isnt for everybody, he said so himself, even i cant relate to some/most things, can imagine there are plenty of people out there who can, no wonder his core fan base is tight. Guess its refreshing a bit, compared with some drivel going around, rapping about shooting people for example, when you never held a gun, not even a water pistol.

Lay

His debut, what album you mean? but yea his stuff isnt for everybody, he said so himself, even i cant relate to some/most things, can imagine there are plenty of people out there who can, no wonder his core fan base is tight. Guess its refreshing a bit, compared with some drivel going around, rapping about shooting people for example, when you never held a gun, not even a water pistol.
Not sure if it was his debut, but the perception album was decent/good.