Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Thought the new Gang Starr was pretty good. Couple of real standouts on there. Doesn't match up to their 90s stuff but it was never gonna. Bad Name was such a great surprise, glad we got that at all.

Last edited:

Roosney

Haven't listened to the new Gang Starr yet. Been bumping the Black Moon album and WestsideGunn's HWH7.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I saw Ghostface Killah in Bristol tonight. I was wary, as the new album is weak IMO. He was great though. He kicked off with a pretty lengthy medley of classic verses, which was awesome. Then he asked for a volunteer to do Method Man's verse from Protect Ya Neck. This young lass got up and totally smashed it.

Supports didn't do it for me. UK hip hop just doesn't grab me at all. There's something quite insincere about hearing a skinny white lad from Cornwall yell "make some noise up in dis piece. Dis next track's sick fam".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I saw Ghostface Killah in Bristol tonight. I was wary, as the new album is weak IMO. He was great though. He kicked off with a pretty lengthy medley of classic verses, which was awesome. Then he asked for a volunteer to do Method Man's verse from Protect Ya Neck. This young lass got up and totally smashed it.

Supports didn't do it for me. UK hip hop just doesn't grab me at all. There's something quite insincere about hearing a skinny white lad from Cornwall yell "make some noise up in dis piece. Dis next track's sick fam".
I struggle with a lot of UK hip hop and rap too. Takes a lot for me to get into it.

RedTiger

Half mast
I struggle with a lot of UK hip hop and rap too. Takes a lot for me to get into it.
Which artists do you find palatable in the UK scene? Personally I always used to keep up with the scene since Cookie Crew and Supreme, I fell off for noughties and most of the last decade but I've recently began to look into it again. The ones who I've found to be nice is Potter Payper and Four Owls.

hubbuh

Which artists do you find palatable in the UK scene? Personally I always used to keep up with the scene since Cookie Crew and Supreme, I fell off for noughties and most of the last decade but I've recently began to look into it again. The ones who I've found to be nice is Potter Payper and Four Owls.
Cult of the Damned?? Bill Shakes and Black Josh are very good. Shakes just released a new album.

Old

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That's a shame but not all UK hip hop is like that.
Oh I'm sure it's not. My experience of UK hip hop is quite limited to the more mainstream grime, and the local acts that usually end up supporting bigger acts, I'm yet to be grabbed by what I've heard but admittedly it's not very much.

I like the idea of grime, but I'm rarely impressed by the execution. I've heard the odd solid track but never a great album from the genre.

The support acts last night had more of a boom-bap production going on which I was into, the beats sounded really good, but the rapping was insincere to me. Dorky middle class white kids rapping about "mad stacks" and "packing heat" was super cringey.

I'm gonna check out those 3 tracks above, but feel free to throw more recommendations my way.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not many tbh. I like slowthai but then the rest of my UK taste is mostly grime.

Dan_F

New Game album is amazing imo.
Then again im a huge Game stan.

Anybody else gave it a listen yet?
I’ve got it on in the background while working, so not fully listening to it. Seems very chilled out, which was unexpected.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hope you like it.

Best songs for me is
Hug The Block
Roadside
The Light
Listened to it a couple of times and I love it (though I'm a big Game fan), love the west coast sound too. Though I would say there are some filler tracks that could have been cut but I'm not complaining too much because of extra content.

Hug the block and born 2 rap are my fav tracks at the moment.

BootsyCollins

Listened to it a couple of times and I love it (though I'm a big Game fan), love the west coast sound too. Though I would say there are some filler tracks that could have been cut but I'm not complaining too much because of extra content.

Hug the block and born 2 rap are my fav tracks at the moment.
Agreed.

He has one of the most amazing(and underrated) catalogs in hip hop.
Not a single weak album.

BootsyCollins

Indeed. I feel rapper fabulous is another underated commercial rapper too
Yup, he gets alot of hate for his love rap ballads, but i like those songs like ”into you” and ”trade it all”.
”Breathe” is one of my favorite rap songs, period.

He came out with a new album also, did you listen?
Quite alot auto-tune, but he still has bars.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Anybody feel like listing their top 10’s of the decade?

Top albums
Top rappers
Top songs etc

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nice to see Game finally getting some love on here. I listened to the album in my car on and off but need to listen again, it's a nice album though. He's always been one of my favourite rappers and I've seen him live a few times now, not sure if his retirement is legit this time but it won't be the same without him.

My only slight gripe with the album is that I wish it brought one hard hitting banger to close the show. Still, his catalogue is full of them so I can't complain.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s alright, yeah. The singles are strong and the features work well - especially HER - props for getting her on the album, really.

I don’t know why rappers have this obsession with bloated albums though. I can only imagine it’s a streaming thing. Brevity works well. Daytona is a perfect example in recent years.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nice to see Game finally getting some love on here. I listened to the album in my car on and off but need to listen again, it's a nice album though. He's always been one of my favourite rappers and I've seen him live a few times now, not sure if his retirement is legit this time but it won't be the same without him.

My only slight gripe with the album is that I wish it brought one hard hitting banger to close the show. Still, his catalogue is full of them so I can't complain.
You should have met @paz. Massive Game fanatic.

Dan_F

It’s grown on me. I think I was expecting it to be a bit more aggressive, so it seemed a bit disappointing at first.

He’s touring the UK in Feb, but I’m not sure how that album will be live. Seen him twice in the last few years and it was more fun when he was doing his classics. But it was a smaller venue and generally a bit more rowdy. He got about 30 people on stage doing El Chapo! I’ll probably go, even though it’s a Sunday night:lol:

Roosney

Anybody feel like listing their top 10’s of the decade?

Top albums
Top rappers
Top songs etc
Top 3 songs:
- Sunkist by Hus Kingpin
- Chef dreds by GXFR
- Creep with me by Black Moon

Top 3 albums:
- Hell's Roof by Eto
- Aruku by Eddie Kaine
- EIF by Conway

Damn this is a hard job. Probably the list would be totally different tomorrow.

Edit: oops EIF 1 and 2 were late 2018

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Never really been until the UK scene but have to say I’m loving Stormzy’s new album.
Surprised you'd even listen tbh. Didn't have you down as a Stormzy fan.

It is a good album, better than GSAP by far for me.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Surprised you'd even listen tbh. Didn't have you down as a Stormzy fan.

It is a good album, better than GSAP by far for me.
Heard a few tracks on the radio that I had enjoyed and then saw an interview with him - I can’t think where now - and found his passion for his work quite impressive and thought he generally came across really well.

So I decided I’d add his album to my streaming library and give it a listen; yea it’s really good.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Heard a few tracks on the radio that I had enjoyed and then saw an interview with him - I can’t think where now - and found his passion for his work quite impressive and thought he generally came across really well.

So I decided I’d add his album to my streaming library and give it a listen; yea it’s really good.
Good man.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Top Albums of the Decade (in no particular order, will add to this list as time goes on)

Surf
TPAB
GKMC
If You're Reading This It's too Late
Monster
56 Nights
Hmmm...

To Pimp A Butterfly
Malibu
Undun
Because The Internet
Invasion of Privacy