Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So Eminem just dropped another album called ”Music to be murdered by”
Will listen on my way to work. He has Crooked I, Royce and Joell on one song so thats probably a dope one.
The final 30 seconds of Godzilla was a madness.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Did not get that far. First two songs gave me goosebumbs though.

Oh, and Royce verse on "you gon learn" :eek:

The first three tracks set the bar so high, it's bound to come down a bit. Inevitably, in true Em fashion, he's already garnered negative headlines for some of the lyrics in Unaccommodating.

Let me know when you get to Godzilla :)

20solskjaer

The whole albums great, its like peak late 90s/early 2000s eminem, the productions probably the best hes ever had, some of the beats are insane, royce kills both features, you gon learn is probably in my top 5 em tracks already

standouts so far for me

you gon learn
Godzilla
Darkness
Marsh
I will

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not long ago there were loads of people talking about him being washed up etc. There was only so long you would keep him down, even then he was releasing amazing features & tracks over the last few years that were slept on. Nice to have Game and Em get some recognition once again. Still better than most of the rappers dominating the scene these days.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s 2020, lads. Leave Eminem where he needs to be left.

BootsyCollins

Not long ago there were loads of people talking about him being washed up etc. There was only so long you would keep him down, even then he was releasing amazing features & tracks over the last few years that were slept on. Nice to have Game and Em get some recognition once again. Still better than most of the rappers dominating the scene these days.
This is the truth on both em and Game

DoomSlayer

I'm just going to quote my comment from the other thread, because right now I have nothing more to add, might do so after 2-3 more spins of the whole album.
Wordplay, lyrical abilities and rhyme schemes are on point as usual. On a first listen, I love 6 or 7 tracks, the rest are good or meh, with 2-3 that I don't like at all, particularly the Young M.A. one.

Em is one of the greatest and as a "white boy" myself, from a sort of obscure European country, he is what initially got me into hip hop. I feel like one of his worst aspects since Relapse are beat picking and choruses, and I think I could survive the beats I don't like if it wasn't for the horrible choruses at times, because Eminem can ride any beat anyway. Shit, sometimes I think some of those tracks will sound better acapella.

Favourite tracks so far (on a one listen only) - Premonition, You Gon' Learn, Those Kinda Nights (the singing hook by Ed Sheeran almost threw me off the whole track, but it's too catchy to not love it), Godzilla, Darkness, Yah Yah, Lock It Up, I Will. Personally, Premonition, Lock It Up and I Will sound the most natural to me, special mention to Darkness because of the deep meaning behind the whole track and also to Yah Yah, because he got legends like Black Thought and Q-Tip on an album.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Lil Wayne dropped his new album today, listening to it now and it's so bad.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will check that soon. The new Jadakiss was disappointing. Not sure how I feel about the Royce one as of yet.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Will check that soon. The new Jadakiss was disappointing. Not sure how I feel about the Royce one as of yet.
I've been hearing conflicting reviews on Jadakiss' latest release. Haven't heard it yet.

Meek Mill - Intro

What a track
You mean, the intro?

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Don't know if anyone caught the DJ battle on IG Live between Preemo and Rza. All on Youtube for those interested. So much fun.

Roosney

Quite disappointed in Conway's LULU. Alc's beats are too mellow for his rapping style. Even the Cormega feature feels lifeless.

adexkola

Supports
Don't know if anyone caught the DJ battle on IG Live between Preemo and Rza. All on Youtube for those interested. So much fun.
Both legends.

Lost my mind when Verbal Intercourse was followed by Nas is Like.

Who is this Jay electronica? internet har been writing about him like he's some kind of old hiphop god, but never heard of him
:lol: same.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Anyone been keeping up with Tory Lanez IG show?

Anyways, I've really enjoyed The Weeknd's album - really grown on me since the 2nd/3rd listen, On Gambino's album, I don't know what to think of it - or if I'm just incapable of getting it. Will have to listen to it again.

TheReligion

Abusive

So simple yet so wild
That is amazing. Led me on to this..

How Havoc found these slightly obscure samples and made them into full tracks is something special. The fact no one even knows the originals now makes you wonder how he even came to make them.

adexkola

Supports
Crazy imagination and for a 19 year old kid.
Q tip was a big influence tweaking the album but those samples wild.
Piggybacking on this post, as I listened to this today for the first time in a while... Random facts about this album

1. There's only one rapper in 1995 who this segment could have applied to:

And, oh yeah, to all them rap-ass n*gg*s
With your half-assed rhymes
Talking about how much you get high, how much weed you smoke
And that crazy space shit that don't even make no sense

Don't ever speak to me when you see me, know what I'm saying, word
Huge Redman fan and obviously he didn't have half-assed rhymes but yeah... Redman confronted Prodigy in Queensbridge over this verse just to clear the air. They patched things up pretty quickly.

2. Q-Tip definitely was a big influence on this album. But if you listen to Beats Rhymes and Life (ATCQ's 4th album) it takes a darker tone (both production and lyrics wise) compared to their first 3 efforts. I think The Infamous had as much an impact on Q-Tip as he had on it. It's probable that The Infamous would have sounded much darker without Q-Tip's melodic talent. Hell on Earth on Steroids, imagine that.

3. Big Noyd got a record deal off the strength of the acapella he delivered on Give Up The Goods

4. Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn is all gentrified now with cafe latte stores and shit. Prodigy made it sound like he and his team were storming into Normandy, on Trife Life. Apparently in 95 it was that bad.

Amazing amazing album.

Roosney

Piggybacking on this post, as I listened to this today for the first time in a while... Random facts about this album

1. There's only one rapper in 1995 who this segment could have applied to:

Huge Redman fan and obviously he didn't have half-assed rhymes but yeah... Redman confronted Prodigy in Queensbridge over this verse just to clear the air. They patched things up pretty quickly.

2. Q-Tip definitely was a big influence on this album. But if you listen to Beats Rhymes and Life (ATCQ's 4th album) it takes a darker tone (both production and lyrics wise) compared to their first 3 efforts. I think The Infamous had as much an impact on Q-Tip as he had on it. It's probable that The Infamous would have sounded much darker without Q-Tip's melodic talent. Hell on Earth on Steroids, imagine that.

3. Big Noyd got a record deal off the strength of the acapella he delivered on Give Up The Goods

4. Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn is all gentrified now with cafe latte stores and shit. Prodigy made it sound like he and his team were storming into Normandy, on Trife Life. Apparently in 95 it was that bad.

Amazing amazing album.
It was Keith Murray he had beef with, not Reggie?

adexkola

Supports
It was Keith Murray he had beef with, not Reggie?
I think he had beef with both (seeing they were both members of Def Squad)... But "all that space shit that don't even make no sense"... Keith didn't have 3 series of Sooperman Luva* on his albums

*Awesome songs, especially the second

Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
That is amazing. Led me on to this..

How Havoc found these slightly obscure samples and made them into full tracks is something special. The fact no one even knows the originals now makes you wonder how he even came to make them.
That's quality! I love finding the samples to classic tunes.
My favourite sample is from a famous-ish tune by Bob James called Take me to the mardi gras. The track contains multiple famous samples but the best one occurs at 2:00 into the song and lasts for 2 seconds... DJ Prem is a boss.