Community Shield 2020 - Arsenal vs Liverpool - Saturday(29th August)

Terminator

I just found out that the game is tomorrow. First game of the new season then!

Predictions?

Paul_Scholes18

I just found out that the game is tomorrow. First game of the new season then!

Predictions?
Should be a good game. Good test to see where Arsenal are. Still predicting Liverpool to win it.
It is the smallest title of them all, but still a title even in Covid times.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why’s it being played so early, they’ve only had two weeks prep?
Because of the Nations League next weekend and then the PL kicks off the weekend after. There's no other sensible time to have it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think Liverpool will win it, they started preseason a bit earlier and should have more starters than us. Both teams won't probably put in a massive shift though. 1-0 or 2-1 Liverpool.

Nations league should be scrapped. Does anyone really care
I find it very strange that it’s going ahead. There’s no need for it, we should be minimising travel, and we should be looking to remove games so that players have more rest.

This should have been first on the list to have been cancelled.

I’m not sure there’s any need to the Charity Shield either.

United58

Because of the Nations League next weekend and then the PL kicks off the weekend after. There's no other sensible time to have it.
This season's going to be a shitshow, will be really interesting to see how it goes from a fitness perspective. Would love if they slashed the games down to 70% of a normal season but sadly wouldn't happen over the money involved

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I find it very strange that it’s going ahead. There’s no need for it, we should be minimising travel, and we should be looking to remove games so that players have more rest.

This should have been first on the list to have been cancelled.

I’m not sure there’s any need to the Charity Shield either.
££££££££

Nations League

The group's winners will receive the exact same sum. When it comes to the biggest prizes on offer, the overall winners of the Nations League will pocket €6 million while the runners-up will get €4.5 million. Third place will receive €3.5 million while fourth will win €2.5 million.

Maureen-yo

Ah good point, should have scrapped it this year as it’s probably going to be third team playing for both isn’t it?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The feck, didn’t even know this was happening.

The usual excitement for a new football season to start isn’t there yet at all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Let’s be honest, those are pretty insignificant sums of money given the circumstances.
You’re assuming the people at the top aren’t greedy as feck and want as much as they possibly can during this time which they definitely do. Anything that will let them line their pockets is good for them. They don’t care about the players.

Sigma

Nations league should be scrapped. Does anyone really care
I never understand these comments. If people had said then is 1930 (World Cup) or 1955 (Champions League) then we wouldn't have had so many amazing football memories. Prestige takes time. It's better than all the meaningless friendlies.

red4ever 79

I never understand these comments. If people had said then is 1930 (World Cup) or 1955 (Champions League) then we wouldn't have had so many amazing football memories. Prestige takes time. It's better than all the meaningless friendlies.
Without googling who won nations league last year and who were the semi finalists.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Got a feeling Arsenal will win this. Might put money on it.
The Standard's predicted line-ups:

Arsenal (3-4-3): Leno; Saliba, Holding, Tierney; Cedric, Elneny, Xhaka, Maitland-Niles; Saka, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Liverpool XI (4-3-3): Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Salah, Firmino, Mane

Looks like it should be very one-sided for Liverpool. But I'm with you, Arsenal at 4/1 (Betfair) is tempting. Be interesting to see which way the odds move this afternoon.

red4ever 79

Arsenal (3-4-3): Leno; Saliba, Holding, Tierney; Cedric, Elneny, Xhaka, Maitland-Niles; Saka, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Liverpool XI (4-3-3): Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Salah, Firmino, Mane

Looks like it should be very one-sided for Liverpool. But I'm with you, Arsenal at 4/1 (Betfair) is tempting. Be interesting to see which way the odds move this afternoon.
Thought Niles was leaving? The only Arsenal player I would take at Utd is Saka. Auby you could maybe argue a case for but the rest of them, jesus awful.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nobody will ever see the Nations League as prestigious. It's just used as a way to spice up friendlies and give people better seeding in the Euros. It's nowhere near the prestige of the WC and CL.

Revaulx

Without googling who won nations league last year and who were the semi finalists.
Portugal. Can’t remember who they beat, but England certainly got to the semis.

I think it’s definitely more worthwhile than loads of pointless friendlies, and the money involved is pretty insignificant. Still, given this season’s fixtures pileup, it seemed an obvious thing to cancel just this once.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Oh god that Arsenal line up is horrible. Absolute carry job for Auba. Think I’ll keep my money in my pocket haha

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Oh god that Arsenal line up is horrible. Absolute carry job for Auba. Think I’ll keep my money in my pocket haha
They're crap!

For some gamblers though it's not about deciding who you think will win, it's about whether you think the likelihood of someone winning is better or worse than, in this case, 4/1.

And sneaky feelings should definitely not come into it. (logs into betfair just for mooch round)

I think it’s definitely more worthwhile than loads of pointless friendlies, and the money involved is pretty insignificant. Still, given this season’s fixtures pileup, it seemed an obvious thing to cancel just this once.
It’s more worthwhile than friendlies, was a positive introduction And far better than the meaningless friendlies we have seen over the past 20 years. However, given the circumstances, it’s surely bottom of the list of priorities.

red4ever 79

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their view. I just find International football boring at the best of times, barring the major tournaments, plus with all the disruption across the footballing schedule recently, and I think it was not necessary to slot this in.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Will all come down to whether Pool was able to regain their motivation again. I'm sure Klopp stressed the importance of starting off with a win here.

Sigma

Portugal Beat Netherlands in the final. England were in the Semis, I forgot who else. (I didn't google it today, although I did google it this week :))

Sigma

Nobody will ever see the Nations League as prestigious. It's just used as a way to spice up friendlies and give people better seeding in the Euros. It's nowhere near the prestige of the WC and CL.
That can't be judged now, it can only be judged with time. People say the same thing anything new comes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why’s it being played so early, they’ve only had two weeks prep?
Does seem early doesn't it?!
It's always 1 week before the season starts by tradition.

Maybe it's the Carabao cup games starting next weekend that's done it. Odd still.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anything is better than friendlies, that is true.

But your point to start with doesn't quite ring true, as there weren't bigger and better options available for the World cup and Europe.

This nations cup thing won't ever beat those.