Comparing Ole’s and Klopp’s first 18 months

AshRK

Why would Klopp have been sacked? He got Liverpool to 2 finals and then in his first full season he got top 4.
He would have been sacked at a more demanding club. He had no European football and yet he only managed to scrap through 4th place just one point ahead of Arsenal. Their football int he second half of the season was inconsistent. People here are acting as if it was some great achievement. Liverpool was a perfect club for him, low expectation and less pressure. Do you think Chelsea would have been over the moon with that, ROman would probably would have sacked him. Same with Madrid or Bayern. Full marks to Liverpool for being patient and allowing Klopp to do his work without much scrutiny.

AshRK

Why do so many people make the assumption that it would have taken the same time for him at a bigger/richer club than Liverpool? Surely it's safer to assume that having a better squad to begin with and more funds would have shortened the process?
And he got the to that EL final in his first season, it's not like he was serving up a pile of shit before doing a 180.
He probably would have fared much better but it was never going to be a quick success. There is a reason why Klopp loves managing the underdogs because the pressure is less and you can create the magic. And yes he was not serving a pile of shit but he was also not serving something amazing. Their football was very inconsistent and finished in 4th place just 1 point ahead of Arsenal. It wasn't some great achievement like some here make out it to be.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He probably would have fared much better but it was never going to be a quick success. There is a reason why Klopp loves managing the underdogs because the pressure is less and you can create the magic. And yes he was not serving a pile of shit but he was also not serving something amazing. Their football was very inconsistent and finished in 4th place just 1 point ahead of Arsenal. It wasn't some great achievement like some here make out it to be.
I think this "loves to manage the underdogs" is a bit overstated. After Mainz he supposedly came close to signing for Bayern, who decided to pursue Klinsmann in the end or Hamburg, still a fairly big club at the time, who supposedly would've signed him if it wasn't for parts of the management objecting to his jeans and smoking.

Finishing 4th with Liverpool wasn't his greatest achievement, but we can all agree that it was at least meeting expectations?

AshRK

I think this "loves to manage the underdogs" is a bit overstated. After Mainz he supposedly came close to signing for Bayern, who decided to pursue Klinsmann in the end or Hamburg, still a fairly big club at the time, who supposedly would've signed him if it wasn't for parts of the management objecting to his jeans and smoking.

Finishing 4th with Liverpool wasn't his greatest achievement, but we can all agree that it was at least meeting expectations?
Thats why i said Liverpool were a perfect choice for him. He definitely did a decent job but that's about it. In fact it was from February/March 2018 when I started to see something special in his Liverpool side. Before that it was good but were leaking too many silly goals. I would even go on to say they were very fortunate to reach the finals of that year's CL. Their opponents were Porto, City and Roma. Roma also came close to knock them out but Liverpool got lucky that ROma were not clinical. What Liverpool have been doing since last season has been special and Klopp deserves all the praise for it but I am not going to change history and say they were always special from the day Klopp took over because they were not.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Tbh I think Klopp is a bit of a romantic. I think he enjoys the challenge. I remember hearing say something along those lines, but it's a long time ago. I think woodward selling Old Trafford as Disneyland really rubbed him the wrong way.

Hellboy

Klopp won the Bundesliga against a very strong Munich squad and got to a CL final. His team was playing exciting football. What's Ole's style of play ?

Comparing Ole and Klopp is as try hard as it gets.

AshRK

Tbh I think Klopp is a bit of a romantic. I think he enjoys the challenge. I remember hearing say something along those lines, but it's a long time ago. I think woodward selling Old Trafford as Disneyland really rubbed him the wrong way.
I remember after he took over Liverpool he said it multiple time how he would hate spending crazy money on player and will leave football the day it all become about money and also something in the lines of how he likes to implement his ideas which might be difficult at more demanding clubs who are looking for short term success.

Ofcourse Klopp enjoys challenges and taking Liverpool to where they are not shows that but I think he prefers to go to those clubs where his work will be valued and are patient with him and not put unnecessary pressure on him. I don't recall any pressure on him after his first 18 months although he did not do anything remarkable. But he had that leeway because he was managing Liverpool and not Chelsea or dare I say United or City. I give full credit to Liverpool board for backing him and staying patient with him,

fallengt

He would have been sacked at a more demanding club. He had no European football and yet he only managed to scrap through 4th place just one point ahead of Arsenal. Their football int he second half of the season was inconsistent. People here are acting as if it was some great achievement. Liverpool was a perfect club for him, low expectation and less pressure. Do you think Chelsea would have been over the moon with that, ROman would probably would have sacked him. Same with Madrid or Bayern. Full marks to Liverpool for being patient and allowing Klopp to do his work without much scrutiny.
Liverpool's average position during 2010-2015 was 7th. Why would they sack someone finish 4th in his first full season?
It's like saying Leicester City should sack whatever manager from now on if they don't challenge for league title because they once won it 4 years ago. Yes Liverpool is a big club in England with ambition but let not pretend they were in a stable position before last season.

Patience is overrated, our average position post Fergie is 5 and this should be the benchmark for any manager if they want success here, 4th is acceptable, anything below is a question mark. If Klopp averaged 7 in 2-3 seasons there and had nothing to show for, I'm sure they'd sack him without thinking it twice too.

Last edited:

meamth

So in order for Ole to be regarded level as Klopp's first season, he needs to guide the team to Mickey Mouse cup final.

Do-able this season. Let's see.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thats why i said Liverpool were a perfect choice for him. He definitely did a decent job but that's about it. In fact it was from February/March 2018 when I started to see something special in his Liverpool side. Before that it was good but were leaking too many silly goals. I would even go on to say they were very fortunate to reach the finals of that year's CL. Their opponents were Porto, City and Roma. Roma also came close to knock them out but Liverpool got lucky that ROma were not clinical. What Liverpool have been doing since last season has been special and Klopp deserves all the praise for it but I am not going to change history and say they were always special from the day Klopp took over because they were not.
I don't think anyone would say that Liverpool were a special (as in world class top team) before 2018, but when you consider what kind of squad he took over, that his philosophy was visible on the pitch quite early and how (relatively) little the club spent then even having just a good team with a bit of a leaky defence is a good managerial performance.

And I don't see how it compares to Solskjaer at all, who inherited a better squad, had more money to spend and at the same point got worse results playing worse football without showing such a distinct playing philosophy that gives you hope for the future.

AshRK

Liverpool's average position during 2010-2015 was 7th. Why would they sack someone finish 4th in his first full season?
It's like saying Leicester City should sack whatever manager from now on if they don't challenge for league title because they once won it 4 years ago. Yes Liverpool is a big club in England with ambition but let not pretend they were in a stable position before last season.

Patience is overrated, our average position post Fergie is 5 and this should be the benchmark for any manager if they want success here, 4th is acceptable, anything below is a question mark. If Klopp averaged 7 in 2-3 seasons there and had nothing to show for, I'm sure they'd sack him without thinking it twice too.
Which is why I said Liverpool were a prefect club for him.

AshRK

I don't think anyone would say that Liverpool were a special (as in world class top team) before 2018, but when you consider what kind of squad he took over, that his philosophy was visible on the pitch quite early and how (relatively) little the club spent then even having just a good team with a bit of a leaky defence is a good managerial performance.

And I don't see how it compares to Solskjaer at all, who inherited a better squad, had more money to spend and at the same point got worse results playing worse football without showing such a distinct playing philosophy that gives you hope for the future.
Re your first paragraph, I have seen many people in different platforms overrate his first 18 months. People were making arguments how Klopp had a better season in 2016-17 than Jose even though we won two trophies and also got to play in CL next season. Klopp fans have deemed winning trophies as overrated and many in cafs bought that theory, so I am not going to pretend to agree and say no one said they were not special. People over hyped their first 18 months and some still do but their argument looks stronger because Klopp has won a CL now , which by the way should have no relevance to what happened int hose 18 months as Liverpool of then was nothing like they are now.

As for comparing Ole with Klopp, thats a daft comparison which should not be made. Having said that the job that Ole has taken over is not that easy like some here make it look like. Maybe he took over a better squad but he also has more pressure from the fans than what Klopp had. So I will say Ole's job is much harder than what Klopp's was in 2015 when he took over Liverpool's job.

Ekeke

Edit: the point of this thread is to highlight why it’s absurd to compare these two and have a discussion that would put the comparison to bed. I keep seeing one liners in other discussions that invoke Klopp as a means of justifying giving Ole time. So I thought it would be useful to have it elaborated on to get it through their heads.

Points and place in table at the start of their tenure:

Liverpool: 12/10th
United: 26/6th

Points and place in table at the end of first half season:

Liverpool: 60/8th
United: 66/6th

Points and place in table at the end of first full season:

Liverpool: 76/4th
United: TBD (currently 31/5th)

Notable first half season accomplishments:

Liverpool: Europa League Final (loss to Sevilla)
United: Champions League QF (loss to Barcelona)

Some commonly made points:

Ole In: Klopp would have been sacked according to the same standards the Ole Out brigade has on Ole.
Ole Out: You could see clear improvements with Klopp’s tactics despite the results.

So I’ll leave the rest to the floor. Is what Ole is doing now tactics, personnel, and results-wise comparable to what Klopp did? I’d like to hear thecopinions of Liverpool fans too, especially anyone who had serious doubts about Klopp after some poor results.
I think the most important part here is missed out. Klopp was someone who took Dortmund to the top of the table against LVG's Bayern. When someone has proven themselves a quality manager you're obviously going to give them a bit more time if they are settling in with their first season even if it isnt an instant transformation.

If a manager has no record of achievement then all you can judge them on is here and now, and theres nothing to look back on. Neither record here and now is great, but knowing what was known about Klopp before coming to England then Liverpool would have been crazy to get rid.

Ole on the other hand was sacked at his last premier league club after getting relegated. So very different situation

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Such as? At Bayern/Juve he'd probably have won the league anyway and at Barca/Real as long as he ended in the top 2 with a respectable CL run he'd have gotten a 2nd full season too probably.

AshRK

Such as? At Bayern/Juve he'd probably have won the league anyway and at Barca/Real as long as he ended in the top 2 with a respectable CL run he'd have gotten a 2nd full season too probably.
He would have been sacked at Bayern/Barca/Madrid/Juve/Chelsea/City had he won nothing in the first 18 months and just had to show a 4th place trophy. Not that he would have just achieved that with those clubs but just saying.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He would have been sacked at Bayern/Barca/Madrid/Juve/Chelsea/City had he won nothing in the first 18 months and just had to show a 4th place trophy. Not that he would have just achieved that with those clubs but just saying.
Depends on the state of the squad and team, they are not idiots.

sugar_kane

It's daft (and unfair) to compare Ole to someone who had already won two Bundesligas and reached a Champions League final prior to arriving at Liverpool but what I will say is that about 18 months ago (just after Real beat them in the UCL final) I wasn't really that certain that Klopp would be a success at Liverpool.

It seemed like he'd turned into a bit of a serial loser and maybe would reach the end of the road with Liverpool not too far after that point. It seems crazy to say it now given that the heights they've now reached but it really didn't seem anywhere near inevitable at the time.

In 2018/19 everything suddenly clicked with the Allison signing, Van Dijk properly settling, TAA/Robertson suddenly becoming the best full backs in the country and Mane turning world class. Fabinho after a shaky start also seemed to be one of the final pieces in the puzzle.

Anyway, my point is that while it does seem absurd to compare Ole with Klopp this is heavily coloured by the current scenario at Liverpool. It wasn't always such plain sailing.

AshRK

Depends on the state of the squad and team, they are not idiots.
Chelsea sacked Conte and Sarri both of them who achieved more than what Klopp achieved in his first 18 months with Liverpool. Madrid have sacked managers pretty soon after couple of bad results. i really doubt Perez would be happy with a manager who finished 8th and 4th and wins nothing in his first 18 months. Bayern sacked Ancelotti even though he won them the league the previous season. Juve will most likely sack Sarri even if he wins the Serie A so for sure they will not tolerate a manager who win nothing and just hugs and smiles. Barca are a weird one. On one hand they are a much ruthless club than Liverpool or even United but then they have not sacked Valverde yet but then again he has been winning them La Liga so maybe that's the reason.

Note: I am not saying Klopp would have achieved the same with these clubs but just giving you instances that not every club shows this much patience. And Liverpool were never going to sack him considering he was achieving the bare minimum there so it was a perfect job for him.

Zaboot

Ole has not reached 18 months yet. Get to the end of the season and be in the top 4. Then we can talk about it.

fastwalker

Obviously this is a nonsensical comparison. The simple and undeniable fact is that Klopp was already one of the most sought after managers in football after he left Dortmund. To my recollection Ole had no such status even after winning titles at Molde. The other point to note is that Klopp's success at Liverpool is not just down to Klopp; it is about the complete transformation and restructuring of a football club from top to bottom by the owners. It is about an excellent Director of Football in Michael Edwards and some excellent recruitment and a sensible salary structure. I do not expect United to get Liverpool's results because we are not willing to adopt their model. As Klopp is alleged to have said: United is run like Disneyland.

Good point. It's funny how people act as if Klopp was always doing a great job from the day one. Klopp needed time to build something special and he got that time. Otherwise his first 18 months wasn't a major success by any means. At a much bigger club he probably would have been sacked.
Kin ell, another one!

No @AshRK, no manager was getting sacked for their first half season when you took over mid season with his team in like 12th.

So onto Klopp’s first full season, by 30th december Klopp was 2nd on 44 points.

Was he really getting sacked Ash, really?

How many times does this point need banging home? Klopp’s first full season was superb, and the first half of it was title winning form.

AshRK

Kin ell, another one!

No @AshRK, no manager was getting sacked for their first half season when you took over mid season with his team in like 12th.

So onto Klopp’s first full season, by 30th december Klopp was 2nd on 44 points.

Was he really getting sacked Ash, really?

How many times does this point need banging home? Klopp’s first full season was superb, and the first half of it was title winning form.
You are just living in a denial land if you think clubs like Bayern or Madrid or even Chelsea would be happy with a manager winning absolutely nothing and scraping to 4th. Season runs for 38 games and not for 20 games. Liverpool's form became crap in January/ February to a point they were 5th in February. They managed to finish 4th just one point ahead of Arsenal, the much trolled arsenal under Wenger and that too with no European Football.

Ancelotti, Sarri, Conte all were sacked or replaced by clubs like Madrid, CHelsea and Bayern for achieving much bigger than what Klopp achieved with Liverpool in 2016-17 season. It may have been a "superb season" for a Liverpool side but it for sure would not have been a "superb season" if he was managing that for a Madrid or Chelsea or even United.

Just so that I make myself clear finishing 4th with Liverpool was good but finishing 4th with other major club with demanding board and fans is not good. Heck people were not happy with Jose after his first season even though we won 2 trophies and were just behind 7 points behind a "superb" Liverpool side even though we played much more games than that Liverpool side.

So in order for Ole to be regarded level as Klopp's first season, he needs to guide the team to Mickey Mouse cup final.

Do-able this season. Let's see.
Hey, if Ole had us in 2nd now and ended this season with a EL and 4th place finish, I think we’d all be over the moon.
Hell, sack off the great first half of the season and just seal 4th & a final and we’d be loving it.
Finger’s crossed.

You are just living in a denial land if you think clubs like Bayern or Madrid or even Chelsea would be happy with a manager winning absolutely nothing and scraping to 4th.

Hmmm... if Bayern or Chelsea hadn't won the league for 27 years, then in 2015 finished the season 6th, then started the next season shockingly, forcing them to fire their manager and bring a new one. I'd say yeah, they'd be happy if the new guy had them in second for a large part of his first full season and ended it with a EL final and a CL place.

Hell, United as we are right now would be over the fecking moon with that, I'd argue even Chelsea now will be over the moon if Lampard manages it. In fact, United nor Chelsea don't even need to be in 2nd looking like they could mount a challenge at the turn of the year, nor do they need a final appearance, simply scraping to 4th will be more than adequate for Lampard and Solksjaer to keep their jobs.

I reckon Ole might keep his job by finishing 5th.

So what denial land are you living in?

AshRK

Hmmm... if Bayern or Chelsea hadn't won the league for 27 years, then in 2015 finished the season 6th, then started the next season shockingly, forcing them to fire their manager and bring a new one. I'd say yeah, they'd be happy if the new guy had them in second for a large part of his first full season and ended it with a EL final and a CL place.

Hell, United as we are right now would be over the fecking moon with that, I'd argue even Chelsea now will be over the moon if Lampard manages it. In fact, United nor Chelsea don't even need to be in 2nd looking like they could mount a challenge at the turn of the year, nor do they need a final appearance, simply scraping to 4th will be more than adequate for Lampard and Solksjaer to keep their jobs.

I reckon Ole might keep his job by finishing 5th.

So what denial land are you living in?
But bayern and Chelsea have won the league and that is why they are more demanding than the Liverpool Board and supporters. Achieving what he achieved with Liverpool then was good and that is why there was no pressure on him to be sacked. There is no way that would have been appreciated by fans at Bayern or Juve or Madrid or Barca or Chelsea. Situation is different with each club. I am not saying he would have achieved the same if he was managing these clubs as they were in a better position but had he achieved the same it would not have been acceptable. I never said what he achieved with Liverpool was not good, it was not superb, but it was good, pretty good for his first full season.

Is it that difficult to understand or your love for Klopp is blinding you that and you just want to argue with others for the sake of it.

As for Ole, well if he finishes 4th with us this season he will also have done a good job. But I doubt many will come here shouting and saying he has done a superb job. Trust me many would still want him gone. You know why Pressure of managing Manchester United is much more than managing Liverpool.

But bayern and Chelsea have won the league and that is why they are more demanding than the Liverpool Board and supporters. Achieving what he achieved with Liverpool then was good and that is why there was no pressure on him to be sacked. There is no way that would have been appreciated by fans at Bayern or Juve or Madrid or Barca or Chelsea. Situation is different with each club.
You admit it yourself. At Bayern or Madrid he'd never be taking over a side that just finished 6th and was lingering in 12th with a dog shit squad.

So your point is pointless Ash*. At Liverpool, Klopp was doing a tremendous job during his first full season.

*the point of the thread is how long it takes to "show something as a manager in a new struggling club" and Klopp showed it instantly in his first full season. Now no-one is expecting Ole to do a job that Juve, Bayern or Madrid would accept are they? As I say, we'd all be over the fecking moon even if he just achieves top 4.

Last edited:

AshRK

You admit it yourself. At Bayern or Madrid he'd never be taking over a side that just finished 6th and was lingering in 12th with a dog shit squad.

So your point is pointless Ash. At Liverpool, Klopp was doing a tremendous job during his first full season.
Good= Yes
Tremendous for Klopp fan boys= Yes
For normal sane people who always don't like hugs and kisses = Not Tremendous.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Klopp is one of a kind. In a league of his own. Please dont compare them.

If Klopp becomes the benchmark we will fire a lot of coaches going foward.
Yet there was definitely a time Liverpool fans were getting a bit itchy feet with him. They weren't loving it the whole time.

Good= Yes
Tremendous for Klopp fan boys= Yes
For normal sane people who always don't like hugs and kisses = Not Tremendous.
Taking a team from 12th when he took over to 2nd at New Year with 44 points in his first full season = tremendous

Taking the same team to a 4th place finish and EL final = very fecking good.

The tremendous point was comparing Klopp and Ole now (the whole point of this debate), and now it's 30th December man.

If Ole had us 2nd now and looking like mounting a title challenge only to tail off and end up in 4th with a EL final, I'd be shouting from the rooftops that he'd done a tremendous job in his first full year.

Only fair I think the same about Klopp.

AshRK

Taking a team from 12th when he took over to 2nd at New Year with 44 points in his first full season = tremendous

Taking the same team to a 4th place finish and EL final = very fecking good.

The tremendous point was comparing Klopp and Ole now (the whole point of this debate), and now it's 30th December man.
As for comparing Ole with Klopp, thats a daft comparison which should not be made. Having said that the job that Ole has taken over is not that easy like some here make it look like. Maybe he took over a better squad but he also has more pressure from the fans than what Klopp had. So I will say Ole's job is much harder than what Klopp's was in 2015 when he took over Liverpool's job.
Lesson for all, never start arguing with someone without understanding the context of the original post. You just picked one of my posts because you were hurt that I said something about Klopp without understanding the context. The whole comparison between Klopp and Ole is stupid and I don't think any sane knowledgeable guy should be making one.

As for him having a tremendous season, let us just agree to disagree.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
You are just living in a denial land if you think clubs like Bayern or Madrid or even Chelsea would be happy with a manager winning absolutely nothing and scraping to 4th. Season runs for 38 games and not for 20 games.
You are probably right that Klopp would have been sacked or at least would have been under huge pressure at Bayern, if he had the same results with the Bayern squad in 2016/2017.

However, what does make you think that Klopp would have preformed so poorly with one of the best squads in Europe at that time?

Considering the strength of Liverpool's squad in 2016/17 he did a good to very good job.

AshRK

You are probably right that Klopp would have been sacked or at least would have been under huge pressure at Bayern, if he had the same results with the Bayern squad in 2016/2017.

However, what does make you think that Klopp would have preformed so poorly with one of the best squads in Europe at that time?

Considering the strength of Liverpool's squad in 2016/17 he did a good to very good job.
Yes the work he did for that Liverpool side was pretty good as I said it multiple times in this thread. And it was just a scenario which was to show Liverpool was a perfect club for him to manage. Less pressure and more time to implement his ideas.

But bayern and Chelsea have won the league and that is why they are more demanding than the Liverpool Board and supporters. Achieving what he achieved with Liverpool then was good and that is why there was no pressure on him to be sacked. There is no way that would have been appreciated by fans at Bayern or Juve or Madrid or Barca or Chelsea. Situation is different with each club. I am not saying he would have achieved the same if he was managing these clubs as they were in a better position but had he achieved the same it would not have been acceptable. I never said what he achieved with Liverpool was not good, it was not superb, but it was good, pretty good for his first full season.

Lesson for all, never start arguing with someone without understanding the context of the original post. You just picked one of my posts because you were hurt that I said something about Klopp without understanding the context. The whole comparison between Klopp and Ole is stupid and I don't think any sane knowledgeable guy should be making one.
I understood the context fine:

"It's funny how people act as if Klopp was always doing a great job from the day one. Klopp needed time to build something special and he got that time. Otherwise his first 18 months wasn't a major success by any means. At a much bigger club he probably would have been sacked."

I disgreed that he would've been sacked and thought his first full season was tremendous considering what he took over. As for the Ole comparison, we're defo on the same page there, it's stupid.

meamth

During his first full season did he have any challenges like a thin squad, getting rid of deadwoods and losing important players for a quarter of the season?

Because given those circumstances, Ole had done a good job so far.

Ole out brigade tend to ignore those, blaming himself for that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
During his first full season did he have any challenges like a thin squad, getting rid of deadwoods and losing important players for a quarter of the season?

Because given those circumstances, Ole had done a good job so far.

Ole out brigade tend to ignore those, blaming himself for that.
Funny when someone taunts others for being part of a 'brigade' when their position on the same is as obviously in the opposite direction.

There's plenty of people who don't believe Ole is good enough and have considered all the factors involved. Pretending the opposing view is blinkered may make you feel better but serves no other purpose and certainly doesn't add to your argument one bit.

SteveW

I know a number of Liverpool supporters who after nearly 3 years still though Klopp was doing a bad job. They just couldn't see what was being built because the results weren't quite there yet.

It's kind of maddening when people can't look past results in the early stages. Ole has made 3 signings. Did they expect his to fix everything with 3 new players?

The team is improving. If that continues the future will be bright.

red thru&thru

Ole will never reach the heights of a top manager, happy for this post to be recorded and for me to be proven wrong.

Ole is very one dimensional and can't seem to adapt to change. Look at Fat Frank against Arsenal the other day. He knew something wasn't working and made a change after half an hour. Could Ole do something like that? No. We've been losing in games to weaker opposition but he will still persist with his two holding midfielders till about the 75th minute. The guy is too predictable.

matt10000

Ole will never reach the heights of a top manager, happy for this post to be recorded and for me to be proven wrong.

Ole is very one dimensional and can't seem to adapt to change. Look at Fat Frank against Arsenal the other day. He knew something wasn't working and made a change after half an hour. Could Ole do something like that? No. We've been losing in games to weaker opposition but he will still persist with his two holding midfielders till about the 75th minute. The guy is too predictable.
Let us all hope you are proven wrong but even if Ole goes in two years, for the first time in a long time a new manager will inherit a younger and better squad than the last few managers.