Gaming Competitive Gaming/E-sports

InfiniteBoredom

Wings fecked up big time there, especially Faith Bian. I watched it live and couldn't for the life of me understand why they didn't BD once Brew hit 25. That 20 extra armour+ alacrity can easily bypass BD protection. EG had no way to high ground Wings with a their line up at that point, instead they let Monkey get stacked and got destroyed.

Phil Jones Face

Thought this episode was really good. The only down side is Valve's continued narrative in the series with the selective editing (Mushi/VP = bad guys/toxic ragers, EG/OG the good guys/chill)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Weird creepy little nerds. Mind one of them has a hot gf somehow.

Definitely not a sport. It's ridiculous.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Is there a pro gamer that's seeing the Mexican weather girl with the quite spectacular arse? Lucky bastard.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yes yes yes yes! How could you possibly keep up the hours of gaming you'd need when you have that ass on tap? Geez.
I'd last longer playing a Call of Duty map (pretty sure he's a CoD player), so there'd be enough time :D

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'd last longer playing a Call of Duty map (pretty sure he's a CoD player), so there'd be enough time :D
And to think there's parents out there who told kids to get off their computer games and do something constructive...*** ass.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

The FGC is next level at times.

DanBorja

Is there a pro gamer that's seeing the Mexican weather girl with the quite spectacular arse? Lucky bastard.
Yeah, not sure if still a pro gamer... Luckily I get to see her on my local news station :drool:.

OT: Used to be pretty big on competitive Halo around '07-'09 (feck how fast time goes), specially on Halo 3, I was pretty damn good at it and managed to play regularly and befriend many MLG pros from back then. Midship FFAs were a blast! Good times. :)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Currently watching some league of legends thing live. It's weird, it's kind of interesting, but also very cringey the way it's all presented. The teams having managers also seems hilarious to me :lol:

Not a clue what is going on, loads of words I don't understand.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Currently watching some league of legends thing live. It's weird, it's kind of interesting, but also very cringey the way it's all presented. The teams having managers also seems hilarious to me :lol:

Not sure if League of Legends has one, but every time there's a Dota 2 event, there's a Newbie Stream where experienced casters/ex pros break down the game, the reasons behind each move, every unusual item purchased, etc.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Dota 2 & SC2 are my jam :D Love Rocket League, but can't be bothered watching anything other than highlight reels of the tournaments.

Dota 2 is up another 10m or so since this pic was made... Crazy.

Just a nudge/update on this.

Last year, the final prizepool for The International 2016 $20,770,460.

With a month left to go until The International 2017, the prizepool has already beaten last years total, currently sitting at $20,773,957. This is before the third treasure has even been released! :lol:

We could very much be looking at a $25-30m video game tournament. Competitive gaming is going from strength to strength :D

Here's a prize-tracker tool if you want to see comparisons between previous tournaments: http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/international2017

InfiniteBoredom

Daily player base has decreased notably since TI5 though. Hope the new Major system will inject fresh blood into the scene.

Most of the prizepool increase can be chalked up to battle pass being out 1.5 month earlier than usual.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Daily player base has decreased notably since TI5 though. Hope the new Major system will inject fresh blood into the scene.

Most of the prizepool increase can be chalked up to battle pass being out 1.5 month earlier than usual.
According to http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/international2017 it took 89 days for TI6 to reach it's final value. TI7 has edged iut out in just 69 days.

InfiniteBoredom

According to http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/international2017 it took 89 days for TI6 to reach it's final value. TI7 has edged iut out in just 69 days.
That's why I said most. Every TI has outraised the former but if you subtract the near 40 days added this time around then the growth is nowhere as impressive.

Valve needs to allow sponsors and third parties at their events to further professionalize the scene. Atm every team just focus on TI/Majors and treat third party tourneys as glorified bootcamps. This cannot last.

Ady87

Wish CoD had such action going on. Hoping a return to BOTG on the next release gets it back to it's strengths.

Still, secured VIP tickets for Championship Finals in Orlando in August. Going for two weeks and it kicks off with the 3 day CoD tournament before we hit the parks, Miami etc. :D

Phil Jones Face

Considering a lot of these gamers are under contract and competing for millions of $$$, having managers isn't really that strange. Gaming has come a long way over the last decade, it's not just for casuals/hobbyists anymore. And while I cringe at the suggestion it's a sport, these guys are playing for serious cash (see: DOTA), so it's no surprise they're getting serious backing.

AXVnee7

For any fighting game enthusiasts, EVO (widely considered the most prestigious tourney) starts today.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
That's why I said most. Every TI has outraised the former but if you subtract the near 40 days added this time around then the growth is nowhere as impressive.

Valve needs to allow sponsors and third parties at their events to further professionalize the scene. Atm every team just focus on TI/Majors and treat third party tourneys as glorified bootcamps. This cannot last.
Any idea how this compares to tennis? To me that also seems like the minor tournaments just serve as warm up/practice for the big four, but honestly, I don't know much about tennis :lol:. My serious Dota 2 friends think the same as you, though. Something does have to give.

For any fighting game enthusiasts, EVO (widely considered the most prestigious tourney) starts today.
EVO & Xgames in one weekend... We're truly spoiled :drool:

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

Why? These are professional players, why shouldn't they have staff to help them? I don't know much about League, but pretty much all pro Dota teams has both a manager and a coach - some hire analysts too. I'm assuming League is the same, especially because more teams are part of an organisation.

Then again, seeing your post history in this thread explains it to me.
I used to dream of playing games for money when I was a kid.

Now I'm a grown up I understand it's ridiculously time consuming and very tedious in the end, it makes gaming unenjoyable. That, plus I'm shit at games.
Weird creepy little nerds. Mind one of them has a hot gf somehow.

Definitely not a sport. It's ridiculous.
Not sure if League of Legends has one, but every time there's a Dota 2 event, there's a Newbie Stream where experienced casters/ex pros break down the game, the reasons behind each move, every unusual item purchased, etc.
Not really, there hasn't been a proper newbie steam since TI5. TI6 didn't have any, neither has any of the majors.

I think even newbies can learn a lot from the main stream though at TI. No ads mean they have a lot of time to talk about the games. The nature of the game (slow periods where players are just farming) also allows casters to explain and expand on what they just said. Have http://dota2.gamepedia.com open in the background, or, even better, on another screen, to look up heroes and skills and you should quite quickly pick up on the basics of what's going on.

Witchking

Really crazy (amazing) that this for some might have become a serious career path. Would be fun to watch this live.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Currently watching CS:GO tournament and actually really makes me want to play the game :drool: Pretty entertaining too, but these kids have some mad reaction times, obviously they know the maps inside out and all the strategies.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Currently watching CS:GO tournament and actually really makes me want to play the game :drool: Pretty entertaining too, but these kids have some mad reaction times, obviously they know the maps inside out and all the strategies.
Don't be put off by the reaction times. The biggest thing in CS:GO & other high damage/no regen PC shooters is crosshair placement. It's about knowing all the chokes, the likely entry points, etc.

Of course good reactions are going to help a lot in those clutch situations, but you shouldn't let it deter you from playing the game.

InfiniteBoredom

Any idea how this compares to tennis? To me that also seems like the minor tournaments just serve as warm up/practice for the big four, but honestly, I don't know much about tennis :lol:. My serious Dota 2 friends think the same as you, though. Something does have to give.
Tennis has a very well defined system (ATP 250, ATP 500, ATP 1000/Masters - 10 of them) with the 4 Grand Slams as the Holy Grail. Players gain points and hence better seeding in bigger tournaments through partaking in these year round smaller tournament. Valve made the Slams but they basically say feck you to the rest. You are almost guaranteed an invite to the next Major if you finish top 4, and non-Valve tournament just serve as glorified bootcamps, whereas in tennis if you only do well at Slam but shite at all other events, you get hampered significantly in seedings going into the next Slam. On top of that, prize money in tennis is much more spread out. A guy winning 3 Masters will make more than winning one Slam, and has more chance of reaching no.1 to boot.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Tennis has a very well defined system (ATP 250, ATP 500, ATP 1000/Masters - 10 of them) with the 4 Grand Slams as the Holy Grail. Players gain points and hence better seeding in bigger tournaments through partaking in these year round smaller tournament. Valve made the Slams but they basically say feck you to the rest. You are almost guaranteed an invite to the next Major if you finish top 4, and non-Valve tournament just serve as glorified bootcamps, whereas in tennis if you only do well at Slam but shite at all other events, you get hampered significantly in seedings going into the next Slam. On top of that, prize money in tennis is much more spread out. A guy winning 3 Masters will make more than winning one Slam, and has more chance of reaching no.1 to boot.
Sounds a lot more reasonable.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
The 1st place prize for TI7 is now over $10m - total prize pool getting close to $23m. http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/international2017
It was also announced a while back that this TI will have a newcomer stream, so even if you don't know anything about Dota it might be worth tuning in. Day9 (who some people may know from StarCraft or one of the many other things he's done) will be hosting the main event.

It also looks like Red Bull may have acquired OG (who won four out of five majors so far). They've been a sponsor pretty much since the team formed, but OG now changed their team logo to include the Red Bull logo, while also changing the colours (which also means that "dream green" is dead I assume).

Stactix

I think Esports will just continue to grow, the amount of time some of these players put into gaming is crazy, 8 hours a day of practice.

League games can be similar to football in terms of the type of game, Borefests, end to end crazyness, domination, tactical masterclasses, shock results etc.
1 mistake or bad call can change the game in an instant.
One of my favourite league games was SK Gaming vs Fnatic, xPeke with his back door! It also happened to be one of the first games I watched live and at that time was still very new to the game.

Phil Jones Face

I don't think EG will go too far. They look a lot weaker without PPD leading/drafting. Cr1t technically the better player but they're lacking something since the switch.

I don't follow the chinese scene enough to know enough about their teams. Was surprised by LFY's run though. Loved Wings last year, if they're anything like that.

Hoping for an OG win. Love the bromance.

InfiniteBoredom

OG is really not playing well at the moment, Fly is playing well but his drafting is hampering the teams, this is not a patch to go passive on both of your support, especially when you have a playmaker the calibre of Jerax in the team. They don't even seem to be saving strat either, since they went back to 4 protect 1 Ana Alch on crunch games.

I think Liquid will take it. When they are on song it's really hard to outplay them and you can't outdraft Kuro with GH's hero pool.