Concussions in Football

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Are not taken anywhere near seriously enough.

Bailly should not have been on the pitch for that second impact and we see it far too often when players look wobbly after a clash and are allowed to continue playing.

I don’t know what it’s going to take for this issue to be given the appropriate amount of focus, hopefully not a severe injury, but the protocol needs overhauling.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Bailly should not have been on the pitch for that second impact and we see it far too often when players look wobbly after a clash and are allowed to continue playing.

I don’t know what it’s going to take for this issue to be given the appropriate amount of focus, hopefully not a severe injury, but the protocol needs overhauling.
Indeed. They've never got to grips with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

There’s a protocol?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I said in Bailly's thread, I really really hope he wasn't concussed from the first one and then got hit again. That could potentially cause serious life-long issues for him.

It's one thing I notice in football that concussion doesn't seem to be taken as seriously as it is in other sports. It does seem to have improved a fair bit the last few years, but even so it seems like players often are allowed to try to 'run it off', and even if they are taken off they seem to be back in the side the very next game. Concussion is literally a brain injury that can have devastating long-term impact on a person if they aren't looked after properly, and by definition of being a brain injury they aren't in full control of themselves to know that something is wrong so might try to continue to play.

The medics did check him after the first one so hopefully they were confident he was good and it wasn't a 'give him a chance to see how he goes' situation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Karius in the CL final the other year was a good example. A lot of people laughed about that and said it was just an excuse, and there were also a lot of people saying that if he was concussed then he should have come off so it was his own fault for playing on. It's just showing a massive misunderstanding of what concussion actually is and people don't take it seriously enough.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
A concussion protocol is coming. "the extensive trial of concussion substitutes, with different alternatives – from temporary substitutes to a permanent extra substitute favoured by the Premier League and Fifa. A protocol regarding the trial is to be developed and would likely then be followed by a first test during the Olympics. "

https://www.theifab.com/news/the-if...tution-trials-to-address-concussion-incidents

Reactions: harms

AFC NimbleThumb

We need a study into how Harry Maguire’s been able to play on with one since the beginning of Project Restart.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Any head injury where it could be serious, I think they should allow a temporary sub while the player is properly assessed. Takes pressure off the medics to reach a decision quickly and should make a manager less likely to press for the player to return to the field. We’ve seen before where the player appears fine but a couple of minutes later is clearly suffering and has to go off.

NinjaFletch

Shows how far we still have to come if that was considered well handled:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's baffling considering what we know about the long term damages of just heading the football. The fact that players can be cracked in the skull by another and continue on in the way that they still do is pretty poor.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shows how far we still have to come if that was considered well handled:

Simon Stone is right. There was a time when players were lauded for carrying on. That time was yesterday when Harry Maguire was taped up and then compared to Terry Butcher.

I've often wondered if the medics involved in the treatment of players mid-game should actually be 3rd party medical staff employed by the league/FA et al, rather than by the clubs. Surely club medics are going to be swayed somewhat by the best interests of the club, the player and the game at hand. Hypothetically, someone like Mourinho in particular who expects players to play through pain and injuries might perhaps instruct his medics to only take someone off the pitch if the player absolutely cannot continue. There's a number of injuries players can play on through and often do, but for their own wellbeing they really shouldn't. To me, it probably shouldn't be clubs making that decision.

NinjaFletch

Simon Stone is right. There was a time when players were lauded for carrying on. That time was yesterday when Harry Maguire was taped up and then compared to Terry Butcher.

I've often wondered if the medics involved in the treatment of players mid-game should actually be 3rd party medical staff employed by the league/FA et al, rather than by the clubs. Surely club medics are going to be swayed somewhat by the best interests of the club, the player and the game at hand. Hypothetically, someone like Mourinho in particular who expects players to play through pain and injuries might perhaps instruct his medics to only take someone off the pitch if the player absolutely cannot continue. There's a number of injuries players can play on through and often do, but for their own wellbeing they really shouldn't. To me, it probably shouldn't be clubs making that decision.
In all honesty, I thought that had already become the rules. At the very least there's been some talk of it.

slored1

Maguire also looked like he was drunk. Very worrying attitude for sure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't for the life of me understand how medical professionals - who have witnessed a man take two heavy blows to the head in quick succession, thought it would be a good idea to let this man try and and stand up and walk off the pitch.

RashyForPM

Couldn’t agree more OP. He should have been off after the first bang. When one is groggy already, a head bang and blood pouring out, along with more dizziness and grogginess accompanying that, could genuinely be fatal.

NinjaFletch

Maguire also looked like he was drunk. Very worrying attitude for sure.
Yep, would not be at all surprised to find out that he fails a concussion test today. Those who follow cricket will remember Steve Smith failing one the morning after being hit by Archer last year.

AFC NimbleThumb

Agree.

Head injuries should be assessed by a league mandated 3rd party.

If there’s an issue with their rulings it can be challenged at a later date but if a player is deemed unfit to play they shouldn’t be required to do so.

Pogba handball vs West Ham

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
With all the concussion talk... I'm surprised at the vitriol towards Pogba.

A ball at that speed in the face can do serious damage... I'm not saying it's not a pen, cos by the rules it is... But yeah, just a thought.

Stacks

With all the concussion talk... I'm surprised at the vitriol towards Pogba.

A ball at that speed in the face can do serious damage... I'm not saying it's not a pen, cos by the rules it is... But yeah, just a thought.
The ball can travel upwards or 70-90 MPH and weighs some pounds so it's dangerous to take to the face

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is it really going to do that much damage,
taking one to the face in a blue moon. Its almost as if we’ve got nothing at stake here.
Not saying clash of head etc isn’t dangerous or isn’t nasty but not being able to take a shot to a face? Give me a break.

KeanoMagicHat

It’s both a penalty and unlucky/harsh on Pogba. Ball hit that hard at your face is split second decision stuff. Calling him rubbish or a coward for it is unfair.

RedDevilRoshi

Seriously, what are the concussion protocols in football? Wrap a bandage around the head?

How David Luiz is able to continue after what looked like a terrible clash of heads which has left Raul Jimenez completely out cold and on his way to hospital is just absolute bonkers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Should be forced to be an automatic sub now. They need to create a law that means this is the case as there’s no way in heck that Luiz should have continued.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was pale and dazed looking for the whole of that first half. You could tell he wasn’t right, so no wonder he couldn’t continue after half time. Probably didn’t know what day of the week it was. Whoever did a HIA on him was borderline negligent. Disgraceful.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was shocked he was still playing. Awful decision

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Glad they didn’t let him come back on as he clearly looked spaced out. The players are tough and will rarely ever say they want to stop, but for his own good I’m glad ancelotti didn’t even give him a chance to “run it off”

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Glad they didn’t let him come back on as he clearly looked spaced out. The players are tough and will rarely ever say they want to stop, but for his own good I’m glad ancelotti didn’t even give him a chance to “run it off”
Agreed but a shame the slightest graze on the pitch and most of them become Olympic level divers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed but a shame the slightest graze on the pitch and most of them become Olympic level divers.
That’s just how the refereeing has changed the game. Soft free kicks are rewarded so the players are always going to want that advantage.

we’ve seen multiple times if you try to play on and be tough you don’t get decisions.

if refereeing was better and brought the game back and gave fouls even if a player tried to carry on diving/going down wouldn’t be needed.