Confirmation of CB

keithsingleton

If that performance wasn't enough to convince you doubters a CB becomes a priority before any striker or right wing player then I simply don't know what is. Yes I'd love a striker and a play maker on the right wing but they have to be luxury buys compared to getting a top centre back that does have pace on his side.

With no back up for Maguire we were once again caught out in the middle. As for set pieces, now most of that is Ole's fault but with Bailly & Lindelof looking at each other for help it was embarrassing. I knew we would miss Maguire but didn't think we'd be that bad without him.

Sell Fred ( he's shite ) & Martial and put those funds towards the 3 players we need ( at least ) otherwise we won't be in a fight with Shitty city next season. Sadly it's that simple.

Ps. Ole need help working on his set pieces. It's getting seriously bad. Lost count how many goals we've lost to them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
1. RW (Sancho)
2. Torn between CB and CM - probably CM (DM?)

I feel with defense you can get away with it if you press well as a team and are organised. We are not that's not Ole and coaching staff to sort until we find the right CB

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is the caf obsessed with these ‘one or the other’ scenarios?

We need a CB, DM, RW and CF. They all have to be priority if we are serious about challenging for the big trophies.

Godfather

As Roy Keane said yesterday we need three or four players. Not one. A CB alone won't be enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We need a CB, DM, RW and CF. They all have to be priority if we are serious about challenging for the big trophies.
I agree. And much depends on the quality of player you can obtain

Scholes or Raphinha
Kessie or Sancho

You can't just blindly say I will pick CM becuase I want CM.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Agree with those, unless we think Garner can be the deeper CM, I’d love us to sign another midfielder with Modric like skills.

JohnnyKills

If that performance wasn't enough to convince you doubters a CB becomes a priority before any striker or right wing player then I simply don't know what is. Yes I'd love a striker and a play maker on the right wing but they have to be luxury buys compared to getting a top centre back that does have pace on his side.

With no back up for Maguire we were once again caught out in the middle. As for set pieces, now most of that is Ole's fault but with Bailly & Lindelof looking at each other for help it was embarrassing. I knew we would miss Maguire but didn't think we'd be that bad without him.

Sell Fred ( he's shite ) & Martial and put those funds towards the 3 players we need ( at least ) otherwise we won't be in a fight with Shitty city next season. Sadly it's that simple.

Ps. Ole need help working on his set pieces. It's getting seriously bad. Lost count how many goals we've lost to them.
I think this is one of those games where everyone jumped to the same conclusion haha

jamesjimmybyrondean

I see it this way. We need a DM CB and RW sorted this window. We can't postpone this. The problem is we may not have the budget to spend on the required upgrades in these positions. We'd end up signing at best 2 upgrades and one cheap punt. DM and CB has to be those upgrades because Greenwood at RW is better than Lindelof at CB and Fred/Mctominay at DM

Mcking

Our best CB and captain was missing. We were pretty much full strength across the other positions, yet we were very poor in those positions too.

Personally don't think we need a CB more than we need a RB or CM. If it was Fred or AWB and not Maguire that was missing, I'm sure we'd have looked worse in those positions.

Red_toad

As Roy Keane said yesterday we need three or four players. Not one. A CB alone won't be enough.
It’s easy for him to state who he perceives the club as needing. But we still need to sell to buy, we can’t replace players who are on contracts at the club.

I think after getting shot of Smalling & Rojo we have room for another central defender. Shame Jones wasn’t released and not given his last contract, as he’s been broken all season so far.

Ole will need to get shot of Matic, Mata, Jesse, possibly James. I can’t see anyone offering good money and contract for Martial, so him and Cavini will be our strikers next season.

I’d say 3 quality players and we’re in a much stronger position, but the logistics of that would be mind blowing. Easy to say but in practice going be difficult

keithsingleton

No obsession just facts. As in any list of transfers you/we should have a order pendant on money available. That's why CB No 1 in case not enough money for the others.

keithsingleton

Personally don't think we need a CB more than we need a RB or CM. If it was Fred or AWB and not Maguire that was missing, I'm sure we'd have looked worse in those positions.
Really?? Your knowledge of football must be somewhat limited if you don't think CB No1 priority.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see it this way. We need a DM CB and RW sorted this window. We can't postpone this. The problem is we may not have the budget to spend on the required upgrades in these positions. We'd end up signing at best 2 upgrades and one cheap punt. DM and CB has to be those upgrades because Greenwood at RW is better than Lindelof at CB and Fred/Mctominay at DM
This is my thoughts too

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No obsession just facts. As in any list of transfers you/we should have a order pendant on money available. That's why CB No 1 in case not enough money for the others.
You? I’m sure Samid is well connected but even he isn’t that influential on the club’s transfers

Inigo Montoya

Really?? Your knowledge of football must be somewhat limited if you don't think CB No1 priority.
It’s as limited as yours if you think it’s just one player needed. The spine of the team
Needs strengthening not just a CB

keithsingleton

It’s as limited as yours if you think it’s just one player needed. The spine of the team
Needs strengthening not just a CB
A reminder of my opening post.....

Inigo Montoya

A reminder of my opening post.....
And it was pretty juvenile really. Shitty City? Really? How old are you exactly?

We’re a long way behind them because they have: structure, investment and owners who are driven. We’re the very definition of a shitty club

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I understand what you mean by this post but if you analyse that game there were issues all over defence and midfield... and probably a loss of edge in attitude too. One game is never enough evidence for a strategic decision.

That doesn't mean the point is wrong, however. Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones all look short of the standard we need if you analyze their performances over the whole time at United. I do think we should be in the market. Lindelof is close in many ways but his lack of strength on the ball remains a major issue for us.

Crustanoid

Quote me where I stated ONE player needed? Don't you understand the queens English properly! Read my post again.
I agree with you. CB is the priority now. Has to be. And then we need RW and DM at the very least. The Glazers have to pull their fingers out and get these early. And even then, we still need to improve the squad with quality back ups if we seriously want to challenge City. Nothing less will do.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Another analysis of that game could easily show the importance of having a natural right winger given how poor we were with Rashford there, how exposed we were with Pogba not pinning TAA back, and how much better we were when we switched Rashford to the left.

keithsingleton

And it was pretty juvenile really. Shitty City? Really? How old are you exactly?

We’re a long way behind them because they have: structure, investment and owners who are driven. We’re the very definition of a shitty club
What's this got to do with the opening post. ? You quoted me incorrectly and I'm putting your right. Why change the subject ?

El Zoido

Because the club has proved incapable of acquiring multiple desired targets in one summer, and frequently has spent several months working on a deal only to have it collapse. So as fans we have a mindset of “if we can only get one done..”

It’s fecking grim tbh but I cannot for the life of me see this club landing all of these targets in the same summer. Probably two, maybe three. Frankly we should have agreements for a couple of players in place already, ready for when the window opens.

bsCallout

It shown me we need a CDM more than a CB.

Siorac

We got spanked by a team that had Williams and Phillips at CB.

A CB would be nice to have but it's our ball retention, overall control, ability to withstand pressing what really needs to improve. So I'd still like an RW who is not a direct forward but a 'passer' and of course central midfielders before a CB.

JmRssll555

I think a high-quality DM is arguably the most important signing this summer because that would allow us to play Pogba beside that new player, then use Rashford and Greenwood in their best positions. I think that high-quality DM would also help to shield whichever CB is paired with Maguire.

However, given that we've hardly been linked with any DM players, I don't think the club are prioritising it at all.

Eric_the_Red99

We obviously need strengthening across a number of positions, but I agree that a top CB, along with a top DM, should be the priorities.

We simply concede far too many cheap goals in important games to be a serious contender for any major trophy. Our attacking players have good days and bad days, sure, but I think if we only strengthen there, rather than in deeper positions, next season will be pretty much the same as this season. But if we really firm up the defence, while leaving the attack as it is, there’s a possibility we can make progress.

Ideally we’ll strengthen in both areas, obviously, but I think defence is clearly the priority.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Yeah this. We need 3 of those this summer, so likely two of them are probably going to have to be someone that costs less and steps up.

Bwuk

I think a CM is more of a priority than a CB tbh.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It doesn’t matter who we play in defence we always look susceptible to set prices. This is a coaching issue. Until that is fixed a new shiny CB is not going to fix shit.

bsCallout

It doesn’t matter who we play in defence we always look susceptible to set prices. This is a coaching issue. Until that is fixed a new shiny CB is not going to fix shit.
What about all the other goals that aren't from set pieces?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Definitely we need another CB to partner Harry, unless we can mold Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe into one CB. But the CB alone is not the solution, no matter how good the defenders are, if there's no good CDM in front of them they will always suffer. A lot of fixes are needed this summer as the current crop of players combines the world-class and the bang average.

NFM

Getting top class left footed CB and CM will use the budget of £100m. The only way a 3rd player can be afforded is if PSG could be persuaded to take one or other of our inconsistent French players, presumably more likely to be Pogba. That money spent on another top class CM would be a good deal.