Conflagration in the Amazon Rainforest

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Aren't forest fires quite regular and actually part of nature?

I remember seeing somewhere that fire often kills off the dead trees and makes the ground fertile again for them to regrow. The circle of life etc.

Perhaps the scale is more the issue.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Perhaps the scale is more the issue.
I'd say an 80% increase from 2018 is a pretty big problem, yeah.

In Brazil there will be the additional issue of naturally occurring fires but also man-made fires designed to clear cut areas of forest for cattle pasture. Thing is, it's awfully hard to control a fire.

Cina

not a great tablet but it's good value for the price, especially the 10 HD

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd say an 80% increase from 2018 is a pretty big problem, yeah.

In Brazil there will be the additional issue of naturally occurring fires but also man-made fires designed to clear cut areas of forest for cattle pasture. Thing is, it's awfully hard to control a fire.
Yeah if it's Arsene (not wenger) then that's a bigger problem.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Only a matter of time until we go extinct with all the feck-wits we elect to govern us all around the world.

Yes NGO's started it, and all his supporters believe it blindly. We're fecked.

ChaddyP

In other words Oxygen depletion in the world is 20% down. Or are you meaning that it normally consumes what it produces?

Let me be a bit clearer, what I said may have been a bit confusing now that i re read it. The amazon and its inhabitants use up the air it produces. The wildlife the trees the entire ecosystem actually uses up all the oxygen that it produces. It produces a lot but basically its used right back up by the wildlife and other factors

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I was hoping Jeff had done the decent thing and disposed of himself. I hold with those who favor fire.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Let me be a bit clearer, what I said may have been a bit confusing now that i re read it. The amazon and its inhabitants use up the air it produces. The wildlife the trees the entire ecosystem actually uses up all the oxygen that it produces. It produces a lot but basically its used right back up by the wildlife and other factors
It also produces a lot of CO2, which it also absorbs until it reaches a certain point of deforestation when it is no longer a net positive for CO2 storage in affected areas and becomes a net negative.

Fridge chutney

I believe governments and big industry are complicit in this.

It's a tragedy of astronomical proportions.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Bolsonaro is possibly the most dangerous world leader at the moment, deforestation has shot up under his rule, in June it was up 88% year on year in July up 278%. Those figures were reported by Brazil's national space research institute, the INPE, the head of the INPE has since been fired for reporting these stats.

He doesn't care, this was his message to Merkel this week, when Germany announced it would with hold funds for Amazon projects because of the huge spike in deforestation.

"I would like to give a message to the beloved Angela Merkel, take your dough and reforest Germany, OK? It's much more needed there than here."
Some of these fires are natural and do happen every year, but this year there is a huge drought in Brazil, also more are being started by farmers, who think it is now fine to do it as the President is behind them. We are not yet at the peak of the fire season, that's in September - this is only going to get alot worse.

The biggest issue is not how much Oxygen it produces or uses up, it's carbon. Photosynthesis takes CO2 out of the air and releases Oxygen while storing carbon in the plant/tree which is used for growth. Burning that means all that Carbon is released back into the atmosphere. On top of that the cleared land is generally used for cattle farming, another massive source of CO2.

This fire terrifies me.

Last edited:

Member 60376

It's a tragedy that is undoing a decades worth of good work.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bolsonaro is a dangerous madman.

Last edited:

Is there any data out there that shows how much net acreage is being lost due to the fires compared to previous years? The fires happen every year, and these are only the worst in the last few years. Not exactly the end of the world on their own.

So far it's the usual trial by social media with almost no impartial discussion.

K13

Bolsonaro is possibly the most dangerous world leader at the moment, deforestation has shot up under his rule, in June it was up 88% year on year in July up 278%. Those figures were reported by Brazil's national space research institute, the INPE, the head of the INPE has since been fired for reporting these stats.

He doesn't care, this was his message to Merkel this week, when Germany announced it would with hold funds for Amazon projects because of the huge spike in deforestation..
I agree. Bolsonaro says he needs to feed his people and to provide them with a livelihood. Which is commendable if it were not for the damage it is doing.

It is almost a doomsday scenario. Economics has taken over this planet and we are forgetting we are just merely it's guardian.

We generate so much waste everywhere - from electronic items, delivery and packaging on goods and plastic - still so much plastic. We have mined oil and coal without really knowing the impact. Irony is it takes so many years to sign off new medicines but we can get in and take things from the planet without knowing the repercussions. We know the importance of trees but we can not stop them being felled worldwide.

The question is how do we stop it because taking away things that people enjoy/have got use to is not going to get any government re-elected.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I do think the wealthier nations should be subsidizing Brazil to keep the Amazon intact. Ultimately it impacts the world, not just Brazil.

I mean it's a bit rich when Ireland's Taoiseach comes out comdemning the fires yet we're one of the worst carbon emitters in the word per capita and are currently doing sweet feck all about it.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I've always said that the Amazonas should be a UN territory, not just Brazil's.

Brazil is clearly not ready, politically and socially, to handle the Amazonian jungle. Their current leader is a mix of Trump and Mussolini, but with a huge inferiority complex. A bomb waiting to explode.

Anyway, this is why I don't wanna have kids, folks: things are going to shit, fast. I pity the people being born in 2010-19. Christ, what a dump are we leaving behind for them. They will hate us, and rightfully so.

stepic

I do think the wealthier nations should be subsidizing Brazil to keep the Amazon intact. Ultimately it impacts the world, not just Brazil.

I mean it's a bit rich when Ireland's Taoiseach comes out comdemning the fires yet we're one of the worst carbon emitters in the word per capita and are currently doing sweet feck all about it.
i was thinking the same thing. the West wagging their fingers at the same time as doing the most damage themselves to the environment comes across as more than disingenuous. that being said, we're getting to the point where as you say we need a more collective world wide approach to solving this.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Yes. Whatever the cost, it would most likely be far cost effective than any technological method.
I see this as a real test of the world governments to actually do something positive and demonstrate the collective intent to start to tackle this issue at a global level.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

i was thinking the same thing. the West wagging their fingers at the same time as doing the most damage themselves to the environment comes across as more than disingenuous. that being said, we're getting to the point where as you say we need a more collective world wide approach to solving this.
There were agreements in place to do exactly that. But this Brazilian Donald tried to keep taking the money whilst throwing those plans in the fire, hence some of the outrage.