Conor Gallagher | Everton make 40m + 5m bid?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Another reason why we shouldn’t be hesitant selling Maguire, Lindelof, and McTominay. We don’t want to move on from deadwoods and stuck with deadwoods even though there is an opportunity arises to sell them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Of course you would! He's good/better than Gordon but neither are 40m players right now.
I thought we’d be lucky to get a £30m for him again, which we had rejected last summer but £45m is quite a mad fee for a player I don’t think is quite at the level we need.

I’m not sure it’s the right move for him. It’ll be good to have a reason to continue rooting for Everton though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone loved him last year.
He had a great season and was Palace’s POTY. He’s a good player. It’s quite an overpay for Everton but they’ll be getting a good player if this deal happens.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought we’d be lucky to get a £30m for him again, which we had rejected last summer but £45m is quite a mad fee for a player I don’t think is quite at the level we need.

I’m not sure it’s the right move for him. It’ll be good to have a reason to continue rooting for Everton though.
I think if Dyche gets it right and we stay up it could be a pretty good move for all parties. Onana - Garner and Gallagher as a future midfield is pretty solid I think.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think if Dyche gets it right and we stay up it could be a pretty good move for all parties. Onana - Garner and Gallagher as a future midfield is pretty solid I think.
Yeah could work out well for everyone. It does sound like the lad prefers Newcastle though, and there were rumours of them sniffing around him earlier this month.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah could work out well for everyone. It does sound like the lad prefers Newcastle though, and there were rumours of them sniffing around him earlier this month.

Definitely fits the Howe profile. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes there due to Shelvey leaving and United not letting McT go.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Everton hasn't learnt anything. 45m for Gallager is a waste of a tight budget now. They have bigger priorities now.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Everton are the ideal club for us to sell him to from our perspective. Us selling him to Newcastle who will be a top 4 rival in the years ahead is ill-advised. With a coach like Howe and consistent playing time week after week I think Gallagher becomes a very good player.

GlasgowCeltic

stupid if Newcastle get involved, Maddison’s contract ends next year

whereas for Everton, buying big club garbage is what they do best

Abraxas

Decent player. Always seemed to graft for Palace and has a bit of quality on top. Everton need both of those things to get out of this mess. I think swapping Gordon for Gallagher on similar terms can only be a good thing if it goes through.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You'd have to be mad choosing Everton over Newcastle right now tbh.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Fernandez bid makes me think Chelsea is going to try and force him out. Even if it isn't to us I can see him leaving.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Fernandez bid makes me think Chelsea is going to try and force him out. Even if it isn't to us I can see him leaving.
I don't think they would do anything to force him out. If the lad is against going to Everton and no other bid comes in for him, then I guess he stays. Wouldn't surprise me if Newcastle came with a similar offer on deadline day though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
If you let him focus on high pressing and making late runs into the box he could be decent. The problem is he can't pass the ball to save his life and he's actually pretty bad at controlling passes as well. Needs to be in a team that will let him embrace the chaos he brings to a match - he's not suited for a top team right now at all.
Agreed. He's a lower-to-mid table player who needs the right set-up to shine. Looked well off the standard required for Chelsea this year.

Fascinating just how high the fees are that these sorts of English players command.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think they would do anything to force him out. If the lad is against going to Everton and no other bid comes in for him, then I guess he stays. Wouldn't surprise me if Newcastle came with a similar offer on deadline day though.
By force him out what I mean is make it clear to him his options at the club are going to be limited and that if he doesn't go it's likely he will be on the bench more often than not. I would be really surprised if he's happy staying to 'fight' with those odds.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
By force him out what I mean is make it clear to him his options at the club are going to be limited and that if he doesn't go it's likely he will be on the bench more often than not. I would be really surprised if he's happy staying to 'fight' with those odds.
I think he can hang around until the summer and still get decent playing time. I don't think there's any need to give him ultimatums like that. He built a good reputation for himself at Palace and before that, and to be honest, has been decent-ish this season. I'm sure Everton, Palace etc will be back in for him in the summer if he doesn't go anywhere this window.

The Purley King

Tend to agree with that, with Enzo coming in and all the other signings they have made, he'll probably realise he's better off elsewhere if he actually wants to play.
With a relegation clause saying he must be sold if they get relegated and someone bids £x I don't think its necessarily a bad move. Could be he'll hold out for Newcastle in the summer though?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I could see Palace coming in with a loan and obligation to buy if certain levels are achieved.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he can hang around until the summer and still get decent playing time. I don't think there's any need to give him ultimatums like that. He built a good reputation for himself at Palace and before that, and to be honest, has been decent-ish this season. I'm sure Everton, Palace etc will be back in for him in the summer if he doesn't go anywhere this window.
We will see. I think you’re on a fine line in terms of FFP at the moment and though you have a few sellable assets, Gallagher is one that provides you with pure FFP profit. Right now it’s a case of Chelsea not really needing/wanting? him and a club like Everton pretty desperate to have him or a club like Newcastle being fairly interested. I think that 40m is a bit inflated due to us being desperate but in the summer there isn’t really that scenario and it will more likely be a case of you trying to flog him leading to a probable lower price. I think this is the best opportunity for Chelsea to get a bigger fee for him.

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
Rubbing your hands together to get rid of your academy prospects.

Anything for the shiny new toy eh!

Club has no soul.
No, think you should reread my post. I said that clubs will be try to sign certain players; I didn’t say I wanted them to go.

Also, do United keep all their academy players? Do you think United have no soul because they don’t keep all academy products?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We will see. I think you’re on a fine line in terms of FFP at the moment and though you have a few sellable assets, Gallagher is one that provides you with pure FFP profit. Right now it’s a case of Chelsea not really needing/wanting? him and a club like Everton pretty desperate to have him or a club like Newcastle being fairly interested. I think that 40m is a bit inflated due to us being desperate but in the summer there isn’t really that scenario and it will more likely be a case of you trying to flog him leading to a probable lower price. I think this is the best opportunity for Chelsea to get a bigger fee for him.
Oh yeah for sure I don't disagree with literally any of that but I was entertaining the scenario that he flat out refuses to join Everton if we accept the bid. As a fan of the club but also a big fan of Gallagher, I would rather sell him for a lower fee (say 30m?) to a club he's happy with than give him ultimatums about playing time if he stays to force him to a club he doesn't want to join. With Dyche though, I definitely think he'll have you organised and well drilled so Gallagher going there might not be such a bad thing but I get it, he doesn't want to give up the potential CL football he can get with Chelsea (and Newcastle).

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
No, think you should reread my post. I said that clubs will be try to sign certain players; I didn’t say I wanted them to go.

Also, do United keep all their academy players? Do you think United have no soul because they don’t keep all academy products?
what ? :houllier:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea and Pool getting obscene money for their deadwood ffs.
He isn’t deadwood. He can get better with more game time. If that does happen it would be a good deal for both clubs. It’s not like he is a McT who has shown zero aptitude and little to no progress in the time he has been in the first team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
club is a joke if Colwill is sold
That, I agree with. Even Chalobah. No need to sell good HG players that actually fit into the team really well. I understand it with Gallagher because as good a player as he is, and as much as I like him, he's got a glaring weakness that stands out like a sore thumb in our team. Colwill is a gem, and Chelsea went out of their way to insist on a loan (I think we ended up paying more for Cucurella to avoid having to sell him to Brighton), so I would be shocked if if there's any talk of him going anywhere. Rumour has it he's about to sign a new 6 year deal.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Transfer deadline day loan to Palace. You read it here first. Here we go!

mu4c_20le

He isn’t deadwood. He can get better with more game time. If that does happen it would be a good deal for both clubs. It’s not like he is a McT who has shown zero aptitude and little to no progress in the time he has been in the first team.
Come on, mcT actually performed for a big club in big games. Gallagher had one good season for palace but mostly looked like a joke in your first team.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Transfer deadline day loan to Palace. You read it here first. Here we go!
I think this could happen, though a straight loan doesn’t do us much good. If there’s a buy obligation in the summer then I think we’d do it.

Giggsyking

They are the worst club in the world, not only England. Paying 40m for a 15m pound player is pure stupidity.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
What progress has Gallagher shown???