Conor Gallagher | Everton make 40m + 5m bid?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
How and where exactly does he play for you? A free central midfield role to do as he pleases,
On paper he’s an 8 I suppose but he regularly pops up in the 6 and 10 positions. He leads our press so it’s more disciplined than a typical free role would be. He isn’t short of quality but by far his greatest asset is his engine so it really accentuates that. If you play him as a 6, 8 or 10 then he isn’t the same player, he played a bit deeper in our last 3 games due to injuries and was pretty ineffective in all of them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It may only be Mount and James if Christensen doesn’t sign his contract. I can’t see the others coming back unless there are certain guarantees which Chelsea can’t give.

Chabolah, if anything, proves what is happening. He is 22 and hasn’t even started 10 league games for Chelsea. 6 months down the line, there could well be a new boss in who doesn’t fancy him.

The players know that now. It’s far easier to establish yourself where you are guaranteed consistency and games and that could mean Chelsea losing their most promising youth players year after year in the future.
Christensen has played nearly 150 games for Chelsea. If he decides to leave it's not because he "didn't make it" (and he will sign an extension, trust me).

With CHO, James, Mount, Christensen, Chalobah and RLC all playing and starting multiple games under Tuchel, a big reason academy players might consider leaving is because there are other academy graduates in the way (like Lamptey and Livramento left because of Reece James) and that's perfectly natural.

We'll see if the likes of Gallagher, Gilmour, Broja or Colwill get a real chance under Tuchel. I doubt they all will but I would be astonished if none of them do. They can't all play.

duffer

Scout
It’s based on evidence. Where is Abraham? Where is Tomori? Where is Gilmour? Lamptey wanted out completely and won’t be back. More will follow when they see how he is getting on and the interest he is getting.
Do you think Abraham is good enough to start for the European Champions? Who would you drop for Tomori? Would you drop James for Lamptey?

Players not being good enough and sold is not evidence that players want to leave. Out of that lot, only Lamptey left against the clubs wishes and that's because another academy product was in his way (Reece James).

Gilmour is out on loan., he'll be back.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What Chelsea have to be careful about is that soon, it’s going to be seen as being better for your career to leave.

Rather than competing for minutes in a massive squad, take a step down, play every single week and wait for a team to come in and give you a massive contract and you are set.

Chelsea will end up losing a lot of talents long term who believe in themselves and want to play football.

Their fans won’t want to believe that, but the process has already started. The lights shining brightest this season from their youth setup are starting for other teams.
Chelsea are producing first team players at a quicker rate than the first team can realistically accommodate. If that means some talents slip through the crack, then realistically all Chelsea can do is wish them well and try to get as much money in return for them. We're talking about Gallagher and Gilmour now. This time next season, we could well be talking about Colwill and Maatsen. In the end, Chelsea already have 6 academy players in the first team, with 3 players usually playing in any given game. To fit more academy players in is a tough ask.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
For those wondering where he’ll play in our current system, I’m hoping Tuchel switches to a 4-3-3. And he sets us up next season with two high energy 8s up the field in Mount and Kante/Gallagher with Kocacic/Jorginho/Gilmour playing the 6.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Do you think Abraham is good enough to start for the European Champions? Who would you drop for Tomori? Would you drop James for Lamptey?

Players not being good enough and sold is not evidence that players want to leave. Out of that lot, only Lamptey left against the clubs wishes and that's because another academy product was in his way (Reece James).

Gilmour is out on loan., he'll be back.
Abraham is a good CF and wouldn’t have been any worse to keep around as an option than what you have. Werner was a waste of money and Abraham could easily be starting some games.

Tomori would and should be right there competing for me. He should be in the England team on his form from last season.

I think Lamptey has a higher ceiling than James to be honest. It might be laughable now but I think he is really exciting to watch and if he can keep fit, he will be the best of the three (James, Livra, Lamptey) for me.

I just think it will become and issue, and as such, you will end up losing a lot of great prospects who see an alternative path to the top.

Right now, you have two CB that won’t sign contracts (yet) and no back up for James at all. Players still felt they were better off elsewhere because of how hard it is to properly break through at Chelsea.

All your work can be undone in a day with a simple bad few months and a change of coach.

That’s the nature of how Chelsea play the game. They will always win things, but you lose a little of the heart and soul of the club in doing so.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are producing first team players at a quicker rate than the first team can realistically accommodate. If that means some talents slip through the crack, then realistically all Chelsea can do is wish them well and try to get as much money in return for them. We're talking about Gallagher and Gilmour now. This time next season, we could well be talking about Colwill and Maatsen. In the end, Chelsea already have 6 academy players in the first team, with 3 players usually playing in any given game. To fit more academy players in is a tough ask.
Also Broja seems to be doing decently well for Southampton. Unsure if he’ll be happy sitting on the bench next season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s based on evidence. Where is Abraham? Where is Tomori? Where is Gilmour? Lamptey wanted out completely and won’t be back. More will follow when they see how he is getting on and the interest he is getting.

The risk is magnified at Chelsea because of the short term approach and the pressure on managers to succeed immediately. You don’t have time for the youth player to have patchy form and bad games. You need to win.

Its only been a few games, but you can bet all the money you have that Chelsea will have a new centre half in January if they have a bad December.

There is no time and the players know that. Chabolah will soon be thinking how the press might be talking him up in a Brighton or Southampton shirt.
Yeah, we've heard this nonsense ever since the upcoming first window after the ban, two years on we have six playing significant minutes.

Is the "Chelsea will discard all their youth next time they have a chance" the new next year is Liverpool's year?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
That’s another way of looking at it yeah. I just read the forums here every day and we still have people upset about Angel Gomes!

I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like if we had Lamptey, Livra and Gallagher playing like they are for other clubs, while we had Saul and no back up at RWB in our own squad.

TheReligion

Abusive
Looks a good player doesn't he?

A fair few Chelsea fans here didn't particularly rate him though and were sure he wouldn't make it at the club.. guess these things can change.

I tend to agree with @Ekeke though in the sense that players are more than happy to move on now if it means first team football elsewhere.

If Gallagher continues this form he won't be going back to Chelsea as a rotation player, especially with a shot at the WC on the horizon. That means another loan elsewhere however he will have plenty of offers from bigger clubs than Palace, likely on permanent terms.

Chelsea will need to start committing themselves to Gallagher and Gilmour very soon as they won't just stick around like van Ginkle and Piazon.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Like with Livramento I reckon selling them on with reasonably low buyback clauses is the way forward for Chelsea in these situations.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
For those wondering where he’ll play in our current system, I’m hoping Tuchel switches to a 4-3-3. And he sets us up next season with two high energy 8s up the field in Mount and Kante/Gallagher with Kocacic/Jorginho/Gilmour playing the 6.
Tuchel will be binned in the Summer when you finish 3rd

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks a good player doesn't he?

A fair few Chelsea fans here didn't particularly rate him though and were sure he wouldn't make it at the club.. guess these things can change.

I tend to agree with @Ekeke though in the sense that players are more than happy to move on now if it means first team football elsewhere.

If Gallagher continues this form he won't be going back to Chelsea as a rotation player, especially with a shot at the WC on the horizon. That means another loan elsewhere however he will have plenty of offers from bigger clubs than Palace, likely on permanent terms.

Chelsea will need to start committing themselves to Gallagher and Gilmour very soon as they won't just stick around like van Ginkle and Piazon.
Up until this season I had him down as one of the versatile academy players that would beef up a squad. Many West Brom fans on the forum I checked were unconvinced he'd make it here even as that.

In hindsight it would appear Allardyce's tactics stifled him.

duffer

Scout
All your work can be undone in a day with a simple bad few months and a change of coach.
People said that when Lampard was sacked and Tuchel came in. Mount, Christensen, James, CHO and RLC are all playing regularly. He didn't rate Tammy but he's brought through another academy player in Chalobah.

Chelsea are in the best position they've ever been when it come to bringing through kids. Not all will make it and some might fall through the cracks but its borderline insanity to think we're not doing really well when it comes to integrating academy players.

I'm always sad when any academy player leaves but I can honestly say there's not a single player who left recently that would go into our first xi, and they weren't interested in being reserves.

TheReligion

Abusive
Up until this season I had him down as one of the versatile academy players that would beef up a squad. Many West Brom fans on the forum I checked were unconvinced he'd make it here even as that.

In hindsight it would appear Allardyce's tactics stifled him.
Some players can develop later too or just suit a particular style. It's quite interesting really. We've had a few late starters and then some really early ones like Greenwood.

Gallagher will have definitely benefited from playing different systems.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
And we'll get a new one and win something big. Then they'll be sacked and the same thing will happen again.

It's the cycle of life.
Just once I'd like a Chelsea manager to be given time and resources. If anyone deserves it, it's Tuchel.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ofcourse things could always do a Conte style sudden spiral and his position will become untenable but he won't get sacked solely for finishing 3rd, especially if the points tally would often have been enough.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
What Chelsea have to be careful about is that soon, it’s going to be seen as being better for your career to leave.

Rather than competing for minutes in a massive squad, take a step down, play every single week and wait for a team to come in and give you a massive contract and you are set.

Chelsea will end up losing a lot of talents long term who believe in themselves and want to play football.

Their fans won’t want to believe that, but the process has already started. The lights shining brightest this season from their youth setup are starting for other teams.
Isn’t this the exact setup Barcelona had that people have been trying to replicate for decades? If you produce 4 excellent players for a position, and can only keep 1 or 2 … then that just seems like an excellent academy to me.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea's youth academy is mental. Seems like Chelsea are putting their youth coaches and scouts on the caffeine cycles instead of the first XI.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea's youth academy is mental. Seems like Chelsea are putting their youth coaches and scouts on the caffeine cycles instead of the first XI.
They've been building up to this point for a very long time now. Roman put serious resources into it early and had invested £100m into the academy as of 5 years ago. This was the product of serious long term planning and investment.

SAFMUTD

They've been building up to this point for a very long time now. Roman put serious resources into it early and had invested £100m into the academy as of 5 years ago. This was the product of serious long term planning and investment.
Well it has certainly work for you, those 100M is peanuts if it gives you players like James Reece, Christensen, Chalobah, Mount, Hudson Odoi, Gilmour, Gallagher, Broja, etc

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What type of midfielder is Conor G? Which ex player does he play like?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Someone told me on twitter about ten years ago that they knew someone working for the PL/FA (can't remember which) who on a visit to Cobham were blown away by the quality of our kids and that he believed they will eventually have us dominating the league (ofcourse the last bit is still to come to fruition and two competitors like Pep and Klopp likely weren't factored into the thinking at the time). I remember around that time our U15s beat the next best academy (City) 9-0, for context that's the equivalent of City doing that to Liverpool this season.

I was a bit skeptical to believe it at the time because twitter and that, but as time went on and the more dominant we got at youth level the more it became clear he was right about the quality of our players (especially once we got to the James, Mount, CHO etc youth cup sides).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What type of midfielder is Conor G? Which ex player does he play like?
Genuinely I think he's more like young Gerrard - right now he's playing as a sort of 8/10 hybrid, but he's also a pressing machine and he will run all game. For me this evokes young Gerrard - who would at times run about a bit like a headless chicken but ultimately would pop up in useful positions. Think Gallagher might benefit from learning how to better use his energy efficiently to be honest.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Yeah much more like Gerrard in his early 20s than Lampard stylistically.

Seems a different character to Stevie off the pitch but doesn’t lack self belief that’s for sure.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Chelsea have a batshit crazy academy.
Apart from the goalkeeper, i think they can create a team out of current academy who can compete for top6

GK
Tomori-Christensen-Geuhi
Lamptey-RLC-Mount-James
Gallagher-Abraham-CHO

Pretty sure I might be missing someone here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Apart from the goalkeeper, i think they can create a team out of current academy who can compete for top6

GK
Tomori-Christensen-Geuhi
Lamptey-RLC-Mount-James
Gallagher-Abraham-CHO

Forgot arguably one of the best in the league in Declan Rice.

Hopefully Rangnick's signs of using of youngsters fast forward our player elevation.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Forgot arguably one of the best in the league in Declan Rice.

Hopefully Rangnick's signs of using of youngsters fast forward our player elevation.
Yeah that's horrendous from me. Tbf he hasn't played any matches for them so I forgot.

Ekeke

GK
Tomori-Christensen-Geuhi
Lamptey-RLC-Mount-James
Gallagher-Abraham-CHO

Livramento to compete with Lamptey as well

duffer

Scout

GK
Tomori-Christensen-Geuhi
Lamptey-RLC-Mount-James
Gallagher-Abraham-CHO

You could put Declan Rice (7 years in the academy) and Jamal Musiala (8 years in the academy) if you wanted.

Classical Mechanic

Their current academy XI would be

----------------B Collins---------------
James--Chalobah-Christensen
Lamptey-Rice-Gallagher-CHO
-----------Mount-------Musiala-----
-----------------Abraham---------------

Subs

Solanke
Livramento
Borja
Tomori
RLC
Geuhi
Aina
Blackman

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Their current academy XI would be

----------------B Collins---------------
James--Chalobah-Christensen
Lamptey-Rice-Gallagher-CHO
-----------Mount-------Musiala-----
-----------------Abraham---------------

Subs

Solanke
Livramento
Borja
Tomori
RLC
Geuhi
Aina
Blackman
solid top 4 finishing line up, just lack a top class striker.

crazynaiman

Supports
Chelsea
Genuinely I think he's more like young Gerrard - right now he's playing as a sort of 8/10 hybrid, but he's also a pressing machine and he will run all game. For me this evokes young Gerrard - who would at times run about a bit like a headless chicken but ultimately would pop up in useful positions. Think Gallagher might benefit from learning how to better use his energy efficiently to be honest.
So, does it mean that Mount (Lampard) and Gallagher (Gerrard) are incompatible on the field?))

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
People said that when Lampard was sacked and Tuchel came in. Mount, Christensen, James, CHO and RLC are all playing regularly. He didn't rate Tammy but he's brought through another academy player in Chalobah.

Chelsea are in the best position they've ever been when it come to bringing through kids. Not all will make it and some might fall through the cracks but its borderline insanity to think we're not doing really well when it comes to integrating academy players.

I'm always sad when any academy player leaves but I can honestly say there's not a single player who left recently that would go into our first xi, and they weren't interested in being reserves.
Anyone criticising Chelsea's academy at the moment is blinded by partisanship! In the past there has been plenty of very fair criticism levelled at Chelsea for buying up lots of young players without any clear route from the academy to the first team, but that has changed completely under the last two managers.

No team can keep Reece James, Lamptey and Livramento and actually a really successful academy not only brings through first team players but also turns a profit selling those that can't get into the first team on. Chelsea has to be right up there at the moment in terms of successfully bringing through the youngsters and regularly turning out proper footballers. I can't think of another team that can match you for this in the last three seasons, I'm happy with how we're doing in that aspect at Brighton, but it's not a patch on Chelsea right now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah much more like Gerrard in his early 20s than Lampard stylistically.
Disagree. He *looks* more like Gerrard because he plays with that same manic energy, but both in terms of skillset and playing style he's closer to Lampard

Righteous Steps

Anyone criticising Chelsea's academy at the moment is blinded by partisanship! In the past there has been plenty of very fair criticism levelled at Chelsea for buying up lots of young players without any clear route from the academy to the first team, but that has changed completely under the last two managers.

No team can keep Reece James, Lamptey and Livramento and actually a really successful academy not only brings through first team players but also turns a profit selling those that can't get into the first team on. Chelsea has to be right up there at the moment in terms of successfully bringing through the youngsters and regularly turning out proper footballers. I can't think of another team that can match you for this in the last three seasons, I'm happy with how we're doing in that aspect at Brighton, but it's not a patch on Chelsea right now.
Chelsea have the best academy in the world, no debate, only Ajax(?) comes close possibly.