Conor McGregor thread.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What did he say the tweet is deleted, but from his tweets this morning you can tell he is outa his head, at 11 o’clock in the morning such a waster.
He took some girls profile picture and captioned it “wonk nose” then proceeded to call her a “******” in the next tweet.

He’s a an embarrassment and what’s worse his weird army of guys are abusing the girl as well now. Most rabid bunch of cnuts on Twitter and that’s hard to achieve.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Oh and he’s definitely on the matching powder. No one sober tweets like that at 12 on Sunday afternoon.

Deery

Dreary
He took some girls profile picture and captioned it “wonk nose” then proceeded to call her a “******” in the next tweet.

He’s a an embarrassment and what’s worse his weird army of guys are abusing the girl as well now. Most rabid bunch of cnuts on Twitter and that’s hard to achieve.
That’s terrible to do that on the poor girl, McGregor is such a stain on Ireland it’s unreal.

Name Changed

weso26
The quicker he gets popped for drugs the better. I can't understand how he has gotten away with it so far.

Luke1995

Conor is a weird case.

He has managed to ''win life'' in the sense that he can literally buy anything he wants

But at the same time, it doesn't appear that it has made him a truly happy person.

On a bussiness level I think he deserves our respect and appreciation, dude has made football/boxing money in MMA through incredibly smart personal branding

But then again, I don't find his use of social media particularly entertaining or inspiring given the enourmous platform he has. He could do much better than just lashing out at people.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Conor is a weird case.

He has managed to ''win life'' in the sense that he can literally buy anything he wants

But at the same time, it doesn't appear that it has made him a truly happy person.

On a bussiness level I think he deserves our respect and appreciation, dude has made football/boxing money in MMA through incredibly smart personal branding

But then again, I don't find his use of social media particularly entertaining or inspiring given the enourmous platform he has. He could do much better than just lashing out at people.
Far too thought out & diplomatic post on Conor.

He’s just a cnut.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor is a weird case.

This may be because the best things in life are free, and wealth and happiness aren't synonymous. Countless wealthy people have had their lives fall apart because they continued to pursue happiness through money.

Luke1995

This may be because the best things in life are free, and wealth and happiness aren't synonymous. Countless wealthy people have had their lives fall apart because they continued to pursue happiness through money.
It worked for Mayweather. I think he truly loves money. But that may be an exception...

Yeah I agree... someone like Mcgregor shouldn't be so bitter and angry. Next year will tell us alot about where his life is going.

He will either return and do something big with his career, or the wheels will completely fall off

Withnail

For a while I thought he was something more.

I guess having too much money really changed him.
I completely disagree that money has changed him. This is who he is.

If you look back on old footage where he's putting on a different accent to ensure the audience understand him and speaking humbly. He was playing nice when he was on the way up. Once he started making money and gaining influence in the UFC, the mask started to slip.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Probably a bit philosophical for this thread but I think we all have basically fixed ratios of happiness vs unhappiness, that are set by our genetics/upbringing. If our circumstances improve it only changes the nature of what makes us happy or unhappy. The ratio remains the same.

Dominos

Has apparently packed on 35lbs of muscle mass in six months.
Based on what? That would be impossible for him even on gear.

He's probably usually 175+lbs walking around anyway, and now he says he's 190. That's not 35 pounds of extra muscle. He's looking way fatter than usual, far less chiselled. It's not unusual for UFC lightweights to weigh this much off-season, Poirier and Khabib have both weighed similar.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Based on what? That would be impossible for him even on gear.

He's probably usually 175+lbs walking around anyway, and now he says he's 190. That's not 35 pounds of extra muscle. He's looking way fatter than usual, far less chiselled. It's not unusual for UFC lightweights to weigh this much off-season, Poirier and Khabib have both weighed similar.
All the articles going around are using his 155 fight weight last time out to current reported 190.

I am not arguing either way, just relaying what I have read.

Luke1995

I completely disagree that money has changed him. This is who he is.

If you look back on old footage where he's putting on a different accent to ensure the audience understand him and speaking humbly. He was playing nice when he was on the way up. Once he started making money and gaining influence in the UFC, the mask started to slip.
Some of the crazy things he did after the Mayweather bout he definitely didn't do before, like breaking a bus, getting arrested, having a ''fight'' with Machine Gun Kelly...

How does that angry pattern of behaviour just appear on someone ? If what I saw before was just a mask, it was a really good one...

Charlie Foley

Probably a bit philosophical for this thread but I think we all have basically fixed ratios of happiness vs unhappiness, that are set by our genetics/upbringing. If our circumstances improve it only changes the nature of what makes us happy or unhappy. The ratio remains the same.
That is interesting. I think you are probably right- people’s perspective shifts with their circumstances like a happiness Overton window for the self, and we don’t necessarily become happier or unhappier people, just what triggers happiness/annoyance etc changes. I remember a friend of mine from law school’s very wealthy boyfriend effing and blinding once because he had been to the supermarket and they didn’t have rosemary. That’s just an unhappy, angry guy, and the fact that his circumstances in life meant that the worst part of his week was no Rosemary didn’t mean he had no worries, It just meant that filled the spot of “big problem of the week” in his head.

There are also some studies on how happiness broadly increases alongside salary/income up to a certain amount and then plateaus-the extra things you can get after that point don’t increase overall happiness in the same way. I think the figure was $70,000 but I forget honestly. I think that has more to do with a reduction in financial stress/anxiety which is linked to happiness but perhaps a slightly different concept.

Probably best for a different thread.

Charlie Foley

All the articles going around are using his 155 fight weight last time out to current reported 190.

I am not arguing either way, just relaying what I have read.
A lot of that weight comes back on after weigh ins as he rehydrates. He isn’t 155 stepping into the Octagon.

jeff_goldblum

That is interesting. I think you are probably right- people’s perspective shifts with their circumstances like a happiness Overton window for the self, and we don’t necessarily become happier or unhappier people, just what triggers happiness/annoyance etc changes. I remember a friend of mine from law school’s very wealthy boyfriend effing and blinding once because he had been to the supermarket and they didn’t have rosemary. That’s just an unhappy, angry guy, and the fact that his circumstances in life meant that the worst part of his week was no Rosemary didn’t mean he had no worries, It just meant that filled the spot of “big problem of the week” in his head.

There are also some studies on how happiness broadly increases alongside salary/income up to a certain amount and then plateaus-the extra things you can get after that point don’t increase overall happiness in the same way. I think the figure was $70,000 but I forget honestly. I think that has more to do with a reduction in financial stress/anxiety which is linked to happiness but perhaps a slightly different concept.

Probably best for a different thread.
I think this is probably a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent and probably says more about how much it costs to live comfortably than anything else. The nature of even affluent western society is that most people will never earn that much, and those who do were largely born into a degree of privilege and/or they've dedicated their life to their career and sacrificed a lot of other things to get to where they are. Either way they're probably more likely than average to be the sort of people whose self-worth is rooted on how their life compares with those of people they see as their equals, rather than in enjoyment of what they have. Those sorts of people will always struggle to be happy as all that will change as they gain wealth is that they'll compare their lives to richer and richer people. Multi-millionaires sitting miserably in their beachside mansions because whenever they look out over the ocean all they can see is the new yacht their neighbour has just bought.

McGregor doesn't really strike me as that sort of person though. He strikes me as someone who is fundamentally driven by a need to be admired and respected and can't deal with the fact that however rich and successful he becomes, people rarely admire and respect dickheads.

Charlie Foley

I think this is probably a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent and probably says more about how much it costs to live comfortably than anything else. The nature of even affluent western society is that most people will never earn that much, and those who do were largely born into a degree of privilege and/or they've dedicated their life to their career and sacrificed a lot of other things to get to where they are. Either way they're probably more likely than average to be the sort of people whose self-worth is rooted on how their life compares with those of people they see as their equals, rather than in enjoyment of what they have. Those sorts of people will always struggle to be happy as all that will change as they gain wealth is that they'll compare their lives to richer and richer people. Multi-millionaires sitting miserably in their beachside mansions because whenever they look out over the ocean all they can see is the new yacht their neighbour has just bought.

McGregor doesn't really strike me as that sort of person though. He strikes me as someone who is fundamentally driven by a need to be admired and respected and can't deal with the fact that however rich and successful he becomes, people rarely admire and respect dickheads.
There’s a photo on Instagram I’ll try to find that always does the round on MMA accounts, of Oliveira in a favela, Khabib in the mountains, Ngannou in the sand mine. The point of the image is “it doesn’t matter where you come from…”. The 4th corner of the image is McGregor which always cracks me up. I’m in no rush to move to Crumlin and the shopping centre is the saddest place on earth but it doesn’t exactly carry the same weight as the other three places listed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There’s a photo on Instagram I’ll try to find that always does the round on MMA accounts, of Oliveira in a favela, Khabib in the mountains, Ngannou in the sand mine. The point of the image is “it doesn’t matter where you come from…”. The 4th corner of the image is McGregor which always cracks me up. I’m in no rush to move to Crumlin and the shopping centre is the saddest place on earth but it doesn’t exactly carry the same weight as the other three places listed.
:lol: Reminds me of that ESPN article from a few years back which described McGregor as “inner-city Dublin personified. He carries the lingering spirit of the tenements off O'Connell Street, the projects of Oliver Bond and the cruelly named Fatima Mansions.” Actually the whole thing is a bit hilarious - Crossing Crumlin Road

In other news, two youngfellas threw a couple of petrol bombs into The Black Forge the other night. I’d say every other pub in Dublin 12 has been enjoying increased revenue since McGregor took over.

Charlie Foley

:lol: Reminds me of that ESPN article from a few years back which described McGregor as “inner-city Dublin personified. He carries the lingering spirit of the tenements off O'Connell Street, the projects of Oliver Bond and the cruelly named Fatima Mansions.” Actually the whole thing is a bit hilarious - Crossing Crumlin Road

In other news, two youngfellas threw a couple of petrol bombs into The Black Forge the other night. I’d say every other pub in Dublin 12 has been enjoying increased revenue since McGregor took over.
That is fairly shocking

stevoc

Some of the crazy things he did after the Mayweather bout he definitely didn't do before, like breaking a bus, getting arrested, having a ''fight'' with Machine Gun Kelly...

How does that angry pattern of behaviour just appear on someone ? If what I saw before was just a mask, it was a really good one...
Cocaine is one hell of a drug.....

......so I hear anyway.

Luke1995

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.....

......so I hear anyway.
He seems more laidback these days. Hasn't gone on a Twitter rant against the world for a while.

I actually understand him, it must be very tough to live with the level of celebrity he has. Dude probably can't even go to the nearest market buy food without getting recognized.

I'm trying to stop expecting fighters to be role models. Probably I had this idea at first, that Mcgregor could be some kind of Irish GSP.

Withnail

He seems more laidback these days. Hasn't gone on a Twitter rant against the world for a while.

I actually understand him, it must be very tough to live with the level of celebrity he has. Dude probably can't even go to the nearest market buy food without getting recognized.

I'm trying to stop expecting fighters to be role models. Probably I had this idea at first, that Mcgregor could be some kind of Irish GSP.
He doesn't have to be a role model. It'd be completely fine if he wasn't an absolute scumbag.

Deery

Dreary

Pretty sure he was calling some lass a tranvestite just before Christmas..