Conor McGregor thread.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Appreciation?

The guy should've taken the mic and apologized for all the cheap trash talk and self hyping he's been doing in the last couple of months because he fell embarrassingly short of what's he's been selling.
How do you think the fighters build up the hype to get the big PPV numbers and paydays for themselves ? Its done through trash talk. Pretty normal in the fighting world.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes but this is a four sided ring where you can only use your hands. With heavily padded gloves on.
You're also not allowed to hit on the back of the head after a clench. You seen McGreggor doing that...

Paxi

You're the one who got the tape measure out.
No. I really didn't. It's a thread about McGreggor. If you don't like you're free to refrain to post in this thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I respect your opinion but I think guys like Conor want to win all the time, regardless if they're in the ring or in the octagon.

Also, without goin off too much, Tyson took his fare share of beatings, unlike Mayweather.
Wasn't his competition harder? I know little about boxing but people keep bemoaning Mayweathers competition.

Paxi

Wasn't his competition harder? I know little about boxing but people keep bemoaning Mayweathers competition.
Who knows? I mean it's a thread on its own! Personally, Mayweather, is there with Sugar, Tyson, Ali. The fact that McGreggor went 9 rounds with him should be commended. Just my opinion.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No. I really didn't. It's a thread about McGreggor. If you don't like you're free to refrain to post in this thread.
You said there were more deaths in boxing, I poinred out that there were a lot more boxers.

If you don't like having your opinions challenged in a friendly and respectful way, you're free to not post them.

Giggs86

How do you think the fighters build up the hype to get the big PPV numbers and paydays for themselves ? Its done through trash talk. Pretty normal in the fighting world.
No doubt about that, but regardless, i'd be embarrassed because he had absolutely nothing to show for all his self hyping. That's why I don't think he should get any appreciation out of that. The shape of him post round 5 was shocking for a 29 year old fighting a 40 year old retired veteran.

Paxi

You said there were more deaths in boxing, I poinred out that there were a lot more boxers.

If you don't like having your opinions challenged in a friendly and respectful way, you're free to not post them.
Wow! Okay...

I've heard more deaths in boxing. If I'm wrong I'm truly sorry. Frankly it's quite macabre, talking about this. Nevertheless, both disciplines are deadly. As a matter of fact I don't even know why I'm fecking arguing with you? As I said - this thread is about Conor McGregor!

Paxi

He got paid tens of millions to fight in a non contest.

Well done. You are my hero.
That's one way to look at it.

fecking Kleberson... won the World Cup!

Appreciate the sport and don't be so narrow minded.

Or you could be just sarcastic

Paxi

You changed the subject to the comparison of deaths in each sport. You did, not me or anyone else!

Anyway, back to Conor, he's great.
Do you think he's going to be benefit from this fight?

McGreggor's footwork was poor but thought his parry and defensive work was ok. Even though it was from someone who doesn't force the issue.

Moonred

Well he is a great fighter but boxing is a different sport. And he convincingly lost against one of the best ever. I doubt many thought it would be anything else.

rotherham_red

I really don't understand the laughing? Anyone that gets into the ring with Mayweather is fecking a lion, even for £50 million.
Chill out, it's a Floyd who has brittle hands, not a prime Julian Jackson ffs...

Paxi

Well he is a great fighter but boxing is a different sport. And he convincingly lost against one of the best ever. I doubt many thought it would be anything else.
You're fecking right. It's extraordinary that this fight even happpend.

Zen

As a real full contest, it wasn't remotely close. Floyd let him wear himself out....and then won, easily. He would of been like 10-8, 10-8, 10-8 in the last three rounds if not wider. So don't get hung up over pointless opening rounds in a Floyd fight. He's been "giving" them away for like a decade now. Dropping hammerfists was glorious, natural instincts ha.

Floyd probably would of let CM Punk take the opening couple rounds against purely on being "busy", then again finish it. I wouldn't continue in the Boxing world if I was Conor....unless he drops back to the level he should be fighting, but money won't allow that.

Paxi

Chill out, it's a Floyd who has brittle hands, not a prime Julian Jackson ffs...
No I mean in terms of a discipline.
I can't think of anyone else who took on such challenge, no?

Moonred

You're fecking right. It's extraordinary that this fight even happpend.
And I don't really care about the trash talking he does. It's all part of the marketing gimmick that makes him what he is. I have respect for him even if the sole intention was to earn a lot of money. His record in the octagon makes him great regardless. He was never going to win against Money May though and there really wasn't any doubt and it showed which is great. Some of his fans though...

Paxi

As a real full contest, it wasn't remotely close. Floyd let him wear himself out....and then won, easily. He would of been like 10-8, 10-8, 10-8 in the last three rounds if not wider. So don't get hung up over pointless opening rounds in a Floyd fight. He's been "giving" them away for like a decade now. Dropping hammerfists was glorious, natural instincts ha.

Floyd probably would of let CM Punk take the opening couple rounds against purely on being "busy", then again finish it. I wouldn't continue in the Boxing world if I was Conor....unless he drops back to the level he should be fighting, but money won't allow that.
feck! This is it! I'm certainly not downplaying Floyd, and boxing, it's absolutely refreshing to see a relative unknown to do better than 35 odd fights that Mayweather faced, including Hatton.

Paxi

And I don't really care about the trash talking he does. It's all part of the marketing gimmick that makes him what he is. I have respect for him even if the sole intention was to earn a lot of money. His record in the octagon makes him great regardless. He was never going to win against Money May though and there really wasn't any doubt and it showed which is great. Some of his fans though...
Yeah, I'm a boxing fan and for the sake of the sport I'd have been mortified if McGregor won. But as I said, this thread is about him being big enough to fight one of the best boxers ever in a boxing ring.

Zen

feck! This is it! I'm certainly not downplaying Floyd, and boxing, it's absolutely refreshing to see a relative unknown to do better than 35 odd fights that Mayweather faced, including Hatton.
He didn't do better...Hatton was absolutely peak Floyd too. Look at all the random Mixed or Split decisions Floyd puts himself into due to the fact he controls the fights the way he does despite clearly dominating Canelo AND DLH.

Either way, they pulled off a decent "event" fight. But like I said, I don't see Conor beating any top level boxer from that. Maybe throw him in with Paulie though...a grudge or another event fight with Pac, who well doesn't care, so you'll probably find him getting near Hatton treatment or B. genuinely have a punchers chance since it'll probably a wild opening couple rounds.

duffer

Scout
Yeah, I'm a boxing fan and for the sake of the sport I'd have been mortified if McGregor won. But as I said, this thread is about him being big enough to fight one of the best boxers ever in a boxing ring.
Let's be honest, every boxer and mixed martial artist in the world would have taken this fight if they had the chance. I'd have fought Floyd for 100 million but nobody wants to see him win on points against an unknown like me.

Conor's real achievement (I and mean this as a genuine compliment to him) was talking his way into the fight.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
When McGregor got wobbled, he should have just kicked Mayweather. Would have made the shit show worth it.

Paxi

He didn't do better...Hatton was absolutely peak Floyd too. Look at all the random Mixed or Split decisions Floyd puts himself into due to the fact he controls the fights the way he does despite clearly dominating Canelo AND DLH.

Either way, they pulled off a decent "event" fight. But like I said, I don't see Conor beating any top level boxer from that. Maybe throw him in with Paulie though...a grudge or another event fight with Pac, who well doesn't care, so you'll probably find him getting near Hatton treatment or B. genuinely have a punchers chance since it'll probably a wild opening couple rounds.

Well with Hatton I have to say that he'd have beat him if he didn't shite his game plan. DLH in his pomp would smash Mayweather? But it's speculative. Hatton beat Kostya Dzy who I think was better than any of them in his prime.

buckooo1978

Appreciation?

The guy should've taken the mic and apologized for all the cheap trash talk and self hyping he's been doing in the last couple of months because he fell embarrassingly short of what's he's been selling.
he was selling the event - that's what he does

Boxing is about more than the 12 rounds

Paxi

Let's be honest, every boxer and mixed martial artist in the world would have taken this fight if they had the chance. I'd have fought Floyd for 100 million but nobody wants to see him win on points against an unknown like me.

Conor's real achievement (I and mean this as a genuine compliment to him) was talking his way into the fight.
Aye, for the money! I honestly believe McGregor thought he could win this.

And yeah you'd get into the ring with Mayweather for x amount of money, but would withstand digs to your head for half hour straight? I wouldn't.

duffer

Scout
Aye, for the money! I honestly believe McGregor thought he could win this.

And yeah you'd get into the ring with Mayweather for x amount of money, but would withstand digs to your head for half hour straight? I wouldn't.
I'm closer to Lennox Lewis (size wise) than I am to Floyd. He ain't touching my head unless he does some Streetfighter style dragon punches!

Paxi

I'm closer to Lennox Lewis (size wise) than I am to Floyd. He ain't touching my head unless he does some Streetfighter style dragon punches!

So you're like Bellew? Quite average?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it was a win win situation for both parties. Mayweather got his record in a fairly easy fight. At his age he couldn't fight a real boxer without risking ending his career mangled and embarrassed. Mcrgregor was the right balance between a safe bet and the humiliation of fighting a nobody for the sake of an easy win.

Mcgregor on the other hand got his break into boxing. He added a new pool of fans and will make MMA more popular thanks to this.

Not to forget the $$$ they both got out of this show.

Maybe Mayweather could have sealed the fight before. Instead he played safe, he allowed his rookie opponent to tire up and then went for the kill. That was good for the show, it eliminated the risk of finishing out of steam + it reduced the chance of a wounded Mcgregor challenging him again.

Paxi

I think it was a win win situation for both parties. Mayweather got his record in a fairly easy fight. At his age he couldn't fight a real boxer without risking ending his career mangled and embarrassed. Mcrgregor was the right balance between a safe bet and the humiliation of fighting a nobody for the sake of an easy win. Not to forget the $$$ he got out of this show.

Mcgregor on the other hand got his break into boxing. He added a new pool of fans and will make MMA more popular thanks to this. Similarly to Mayweather he got quite a monetary reward for his effort too.
Think this is a fair assessment. I can't see anything negative from this from McGregor's point of view.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I have no respect for him. He got paid huge money for this, he's basically won the lottery by being allowed to enter the ring with Mayweather.

In terms of his boxing, where do i start? All the questions were answered at the start as to whether he was going to put up a legit fight. Mayweather carried the guy and when he decided to end it the ref made it brief and as pain free as possible for McGregor. McGregor had the skills of an early amateur level fighter. The ref and Mayweather let him get away with a hell of a lot too.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's practically earned more in this fight than he had in his entire career, I would dare to do it too if i'm being paid millions.

Zen

Well with Hatton I have to say that he'd have beat him if he didn't shite his game plan. DLH in his pomp would smash Mayweather? But it's speculative. Hatton beat Kostya Dzy who I think was better than any of them in his prime.
He shit his game plan because Floyd is lightyears ahead of him. Floyd showed DLH up for the not so great boxer he is and always had been - DLH only got the SD based on looking busy but not connecting and being the name. Floyd was absolutely glorious in 2007 and it was no wonder he went on a hiatus when people didn't give him the appreciation he deserved at the time.

Tsyzu-Floyd would of been a good fight, but the timings didn't allow for it. Fight Gatti or fight Tsyzu.....plus as shown by Hatton, Tsyzu on the slide at the point the fight was remotely possible.

Paxi

I have no respect for him. He got paid huge money for this, he's basically won the lottery by being allowed to enter the ring with Mayweather.

In terms of his boxing, where do i start? All the questions were answered at the start as to whether he was going to put up a legit fight. Mayweather carried the guy and when he decided to end it the ref made it brief and as pain free as possible for McGregor. McGregor had the skills of an early amateur level fighter. The ref and Mayweather let him get away with a hell of a lot too.

Yep, except for being an exceptional fighter. Except being the most charismatic fighter - in I don't even know how many years!

Really, it's far from lottery.