Conor McGregor thread.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think it was a win win situation for both parties. Mayweather got his record in a fairly easy fight. At his age he couldn't fight a real boxer without risking ending his career mangled and embarrassed. Mcrgregor was the right balance between a safe bet and the humiliation of fighting a nobody for the sake of an easy win.

Mcgregor on the other hand got his break into boxing. He added a new pool of fans and will make MMA more popular thanks to this.

Not to forget the $$$ they both got out of this show.

Maybe Mayweather could have sealed the fight before. Instead he played safe, he allowed his rookie opponent to tire up and then went for the kill. That was good for the show, it eliminated the risk of finishing out of steam + it reduced the chance of a wounded Mcgregor challenging him again.
Unless Mayweather jumped a few weight divisions then that isn't going to happen. The issue for Mayweather is money, this was a spectacle for what it was and therefore brought in big money. Nobody in or around Welterweight would bring in that sort of money for Mayweather.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
McGregor had the skills of an early amateur level fighter.
Really? Not disagreeing, genuinely curious. He landed a couple fairly decent shots early on (as far as I can tell), which I wouldn't expect a complete amateur to be able to do to Mayweather.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have no respect for him. He got paid huge money for this, he's basically won the lottery by being allowed to enter the ring with Mayweather.

In terms of his boxing, where do i start? All the questions were answered at the start as to whether he was going to put up a legit fight. Mayweather carried the guy and when he decided to end it the ref made it brief and as pain free as possible for McGregor. McGregor had the skills of an early amateur level fighter. The ref and Mayweather let him get away with a hell of a lot too.
I think Mcgregor did his best tbh. Boxing is not his sport and you won't learn the tricks of knocking a living legend out of his sport in a couple of months.

In my opinion it was an exhibition match that got way overhyped. The result was quite predictable and kudos for Mayweather who had the brains not to humiliate the guy (It was within his interest not to turn his record breaking match into a farce). We're not watching Rocky Balboa here

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He shit his game plan because Floyd is lightyears ahead of him. Floyd showed DLH up for the not so great boxer he is and always had been - DLH only got the SD based on looking busy but not connecting and being the name. Floyd was absolutely glorious in 2007 and it was no wonder he went on a hiatus when people didn't give him the appreciation he deserved at the time.

Tsyzu-Floyd would of been a good fight, but the timings didn't allow for it. Fight Gatti or fight Tsyzu.....plus as shown by Hatton, Tsyzu on the slide at the point the fight was remotely possible.
To be honest I agree with everything. Not much else I can say. :lol:

Paxi

MMA fighter, not Boxer. There are lots of boxers that would have done far better - he only got this fight because they know it would draw in the casuals like it did.
Yeah of course. That's the whole point though... McGregor is far from a boxer.. yet he held his own against the very best. Credit where it's due.

pocco

loco
Really? Not disagreeing, genuinely curious. He landed a couple fairly decent shots early on (as far as I can tell), which I wouldn't expect a complete amateur to be able to do to Mayweather.
It was basic stuff and honestly, Mayweather was carrying the fight early on trying to make McGregor look like a live threat. It was all for show and Mayweather was in complete control at all times. Mayweather himself might say otherwise but that's because a lot of boxing fans will call this fight a complete farce.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Unless Mayweather jumped a few weight divisions then that isn't going to happen. The issue for Mayweather is money, this was a spectacle for what it was and therefore brought in big money. Nobody in or around Welterweight would bring in that sort of money for Mayweather.
Still, no one wants to return to their sports only to be embarrassing. Just ask Gaz whose last game with us still haunts him to this very day. Mayweather got his money pot, his record breaking win + by carring Mcgregor a bit he made sure this doesn't end up in a farce.

pocco

loco
Yeah of course. That's the whole point though... McGregor is far from a boxer.. yet he held his own against the very best. Credit where it's due.
It depends what you mean by "held his own". Mayweather carried him, or at least thats how it looked to me. He wasn't going to end it early. The openings were always there, but Mayweather knows the fans want a spectacle and the fight had to go past 6,8 rounds.

Jagga7

:lol::lol::lol: Appreciation thread, are you having a laugh????
Mcgregor acted like a complete clown and then got his ass handed to him.
The only thing he deserves credit for is conning the public into making a ridiculous amount of money for himself.

They didn't even sell out the arena because the tickets were priced so high, it was the biggest money grab in history. The easiest and most lucrative 10 rounds of Mayweathers boxing career.

Paxi

It depends what you mean by "held his own". Mayweather carried him, or at least thats how it looked to me. He wasn't going to end it early. The openings were always there, but Mayweather knows the fans want a spectacle and the fight had to go past 6,8 rounds.
Mayweather isn't GGG who thumps people into the ground. He was always going to let McGregor punch himself out. Conor isn't known for his stamina, so it's a pretty straight forward plan.

Paxi

:lol::lol::lol: Appreciation thread, are you having a laugh????
Mcgregor acted like a complete clown and then got his ass handed to him.
The only thing he deserves credit for is conning the public into making a ridiculous amount of money for himself.

They didn't even sell out the arena because the tickets were priced so high, it was the biggest money grab in history. The easiest and most lucrative 10 rounds of Mayweathers boxing career.
Yeah let's laugh at an athlete who held belts in two UFC divisions. Got into a ring with arguably the best boxer of all time.

Classical Mechanic

Do you think he's going to be benefit from this fight?

McGreggor's footwork was poor but thought his parry and defensive work was ok. Even though it was from someone who doesn't force the issue.
He was scatty and that is embarrassing IMO. His parry and defensive work was awful. Pawing away like that is embarrassing technique wise. Fair play too him though, he earned the corn which was the whole point.

As an MMA champion we all knew that he was game anyway, that's all he showed tonight. After a year of intensive training and his past boxing experience I thought his technique and stamina was pretty bloody awful.

Jagga7

Yeah let's laugh at an athlete who held belts in two UFC divisions. Got into a ring with arguably the best boxer of all time.
lol delete the thread, appreciation thread, never heard such rubbish. He was knackered after 6 rounds!

He's never defended either of his belts and he may never do after this payday.

Mayweather is the one who deserves the appreciation thread. 50-0 and he just surpassed Rocky Marciano's record. The greatest boxer of our generation.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
lol delete the thread, appreciation thread, never heard such rubbish. He was knackered after 6 rounds!

He's never defender either of his belts and he may never do after this payday.

Mayweather is the one who deserves the appreciation thread. 50-0 and he just surpassed Rocky Marciano's record. The greatest boxer of our generation.
But but but he's not on McGregor's level apparently :lol:

Classical Mechanic

He's never defender either of his belts and he may never do after this payday.

I don't think Floyd deserves sporting recognition for that fight. Take it for what is was, a circus that made the two protagonists a hell of a lot of money. In sporting terms Floyd is still 49-0.

Steven Seagull

Still, no one wants to return to their sports only to be embarrassing. Just ask Gaz whose last game with us still haunts him to this very day. Mayweather got his money pot, his record breaking win + by carring Mcgregor a bit he made sure this doesn't end up in a farce.
My god. How have you managed to get Gary Neville mentioned in this thread? You truly are dedicated to your craft

Eire Red United

That Jose Aldo fella is some knob. Posting laughing emojis and him that was knocked out by McGregor before most people had took their seats. Would love to see him attempt to box either Floyd or Conor, he'd be unconscious in seconds (again)

Eire Red United

He's never defended either of his belts and he may never do after this payday.

Well he said last night he'd be back to the UFC, so he'll either have the trilogy with Diaz or wait on Ferguson or the Russian fella to get their acts together and fight them.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Box vs ufc :lol: featherweights :houllier: typical American marketing and crap fight.

The Bloody-Nine

Has anyone said that?
Yes, lots of people. Look at the odds, McGregor should have been 100 to 1. Yet a ton of people actually bet money on him winning. It's incredible when you think about it. Actually believing a guy with no professional boxing matches would beat one of the best boxers of the era. Insane.

Deleted member 101472

It's not an argument. He isn't close to the best of all time.

Deleted member 101472

Having seen that display from mcgregor, I'm pretty confident holly holm would best him in a straight up boxing match.

The amount of punches to the back of the head (even though mayweather, as always, turned his back) should have resulted in at least a few points reduction and by letter of the law disqualification.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Do you think he's going to be benefit from this fight?

McGreggor's footwork was poor but thought his parry and defensive work was ok. Even though it was from someone who doesn't force the issue.
He admitted himself that he has cardio issues now. Knowing him he'll work on that more. I reckon he'll even have more power in his punches and will be even more accurate when he returns to the Octagon after months and months of doing nothing else but punching and with heavier gloves too.

That fight last night will have done him the power of good.

Deleted member 101472

He admitted himself that he has cardio issues now. Knowing him he'll work on that more. I reckon he'll even have more power in his punches and will be even more accurate when he returns to the Octagon after months and months of doing nothing else but punching and with heavier gloves too.

Correct. Anyone who tries to engage him in stand up now is just stupid.

Classical Mechanic

Having seen that display from mcgregor, I'm pretty confident holly holm would best him in a straight up boxing match.

The amount of punches to the back of the head (even though mayweather, as always, turned his back) should have resulted in at least a few points reduction and by letter of the law disqualification.
The ref was very lenient with him to even the gap in quality a bit I thought.

cyberman

Fair play to Conor for landing a few clean shots. Not many boxers even have that on their Mayweather lottery ticket .
His instincts to clinch etc must haven been through the roof from round 5 onwards. His skill set was so limited compared to what he knows.

Maestro Minded

It was pretty obvious that Mayweather controlled the match from the first second and "allowed" Conor to deliver some punches...

Either people don't know boxing or they're extremely delusional.

This match was in no way a win for Conor... He was completely outclassed. Landed 25% of his punches against Mayweather who landed 50%, while being the aggressor.

We need an rvn

Surprised McGregor hasn't called out Money to a MMA fight to make it even - the money they'd make on that would beat this one! He was never going to win this fight but absolute praise to the guy for lasting 10 rounds and stepping into the ring, which would probably have been 2 or 3 rounds had it have been a couple of years ago with Money still at his peak.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Appreciation thread? For Conor McGregor of all people? Blimey.

RedTiger

Half mast

I was pretty upset that Conor didn't hit him enough on the back of the head, my one and only bet was on Conor getting disqualified.

Classical Mechanic

It was pretty obvious that Mayweather controlled the match from the first second and "allowed" Conor to deliver some punches...

Either people don't know boxing or they're extremely delusional.

This match was in no way a win for Conor... He was completely outclassed. Landed 25% of his punches against Mayweather who landed 50%, while being the aggressor.
It only proved the obvious in that Conor has a warrior mentality but is a terrible boxer.

Paxi

Exactly. Can't see this anything other than McGregor being a better fighter after this.

He got his payday. He went 9 rounds because Mayweather dragged it out for the spectators. It was over as a contest after Round 2. He'll go back to UFC now and take a bunch of new fans with him.

The commentator on the stream I watched put it best. If it was another boxer fighting Mayweather today the contest would be called a joke and a mismatch.