Conor McGregor thread.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well it's all very interesting. Sounds like he's had previous connections, possibly 'friendly' at some point.

the incident in the bar, I've read a few articles, even one in the Daily Mail. The one thing I am finding surprising is that there doesn't seem to be any video footage of it either from the bar or from peoples mobiles. in this day and age that is weird.Someone has a pic of him in the bar and that is it.Seeing Conor throwing digs in a pub fight would get some local a few euros from a tabloid
A bigtime gangster hangout ain't the kinda place people will be filming stuff or would want to, I imagine.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I wouldn't call disrespecting the mother of your child, somebody who stood by you when you hadn't a pot to piss in, 'funny'.

He's a Grade A gobshite and an embarrassment to himself.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair it is Rita Ora who posted that picture and if you look at her Twitter they are at a Versace event with a few others on the same table. If anything it poor form from Rita Ora, doesn’t help her reputation.

Eire Red United

I wouldn't call disrespecting the mother of your child, somebody who stood by you when you hadn't a pot to piss in, 'funny'.

He's a Grade A gobshite and an embarrassment to himself.
He didn’t post it though and its not as though hes shagging her in the photo...

Jaybomb

He is, but he’s a funny fecker and fair play to him for getting where he is.
Meh. I don’t find him that funny to be honest. And you can say that for just about every dickhead celebrity.

Katie Hopkins? Fair play to her.
Piers Morgan? Fair play to him.

I could go on and on.

I’m Irish myself and the way everyone seems to worship McGregor makes me a bit sick to be honest. I’ll give him credit for winning the titles but he’s never defended them and it doesn’t look like he’s ever gonna. I reckon he’s afraid of Kabib and Holloway. But why should he be? If they beat him, he’ll just get a rematch two months later and get a win on decisions so Dana can milk his cashcow some more.

Aldo never got his rematch against Conor. So why did Conor get his rematch against Diaz?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Conor reminds me of the final scenes in Scarface. He's living 'the life' that will end him sooner rather than later, and if not him, he's going to get members of his family who live in Ireland in some serious bother.

At the rate he's going, he'll be useless if he ever does fight again, too.

Heardy

Conor reminds me of the final scenes in Scarface. He's living 'the life' that will end him sooner rather than later, and if not him, he's going to get members of his family who live in Ireland in some serious bother.

At the rate he's going, he'll be useless if he ever does fight again, too.
Is there some seriousness to those claims in Ireland then that he's in pretty deep? I had assumed that that was just noise from the press.

Eire Red United

Is there some seriousness to those claims in Ireland then that he's in pretty deep? I had assumed that that was just noise from the press.
Yeah seemingly so, he gave one of the Kinahans an awful beating in the bar, that part is true at least.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's been acting wild for a while now to the point where it doesn't look like an act or him putting on a show to keep his name in the spotlight.

The talk of him being coked up has been going on for quite some time, but he's now acting like someone who is off his tits and feels like he's invincible.

This thing he's supposedly got himself involved in. You'd think his PR team would be working hard to shut all reports besmirching his name down and release statements via social media protecting him.

There's 'notorious' and there's crossing a line. Organised crime and this level of infamy you don't use to raise your profile - even bringing such people into the public eye would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

To be fair it is Rita Ora who posted that picture and if you look at her Twitter they are at a Versace event with a few others on the same table. If anything it poor form from Rita Ora, doesn’t help her reputation.
Knowing her from before she was famous her reputation is every bit deserved. Her posting that means nothing more than she wants attention from it.

McGregor seems like hes going off the rails and everyone is starting to jump on the bandwagon.

SteveTheRed

I find it so funny that these people who are massive fans of McGregor, don't understand they had the wool pulled over them. I believe what you see now is the real McGregor, from what I've heard he was like this before the fame and money.

Heardy

He's been acting wild for a while now to the point where it doesn't look like an act or him putting on a show to keep his name in the spotlight.

The talk of him being coked up has been going on for quite some time, but he's now acting like someone who is off his tits and feels like he's invincible.

This thing he's supposedly got himself involved in. You'd think his PR team would be working hard to shut all reports besmirching his name down and release statements via social media protecting him.

There's 'notorious' and there's crossing a line. Organised crime and this level of infamy you don't use to raise your profile - even bringing such people into the public eye would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.
That's a scary thought - He has been portrayed as the kid who had nothing and now has the world at his feet - people wanted to buy into that. As much as some people love the bravado and ballsiness of the "persona" its a rag to riches story as good as any in sport and people love that stuff as they've dreamt of achieving similar.

Crazy that he could be on the cusp of throwing it all away now by getting in with folk that would quickly want to make an example of him if he oversteps the line.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's a scary thought - He has been portrayed as the kid who had nothing and now has the world at his feet - people wanted to buy into that. As much as some people love the bravado and ballsiness of the "persona" its a rag to riches story as good as any in sport and people love that stuff as they've dreamt of achieving similar.

Crazy that he could be on the cusp of throwing it all away now by getting in with folk that would quickly want to make an example of him if he oversteps the line.
I've not paid much attention to him since he won the lottery and got the Mayweather money. Then he popped up at that Bellator fight and ran in the octagon, which I thought was just a publicity stunt, but now I'm not so sure as he's seemingly getting wilder with his antics and now this stuff about Dublin is everywhere, too, like it's a fact.

Wasn't sure about it but the fact it's not been put to bed makes you think there's no smoke without fire and Conor really has overshot the mark and pushed the boundaries too far.

There has to be a cut off point and if he does manage to get out of this one, you'd think someone would stage an intervention before it really is too late.

Oggmonster

Meh. I don’t find him that funny to be honest. And you can say that for just about every dickhead celebrity.

Katie Hopkins? Fair play to her.
Piers Morgan? Fair play to him.

I could go on and on.

I’m Irish myself and the way everyone seems to worship McGregor makes me a bit sick to be honest. I’ll give him credit for winning the titles but he’s never defended them and it doesn’t look like he’s ever gonna. I reckon he’s afraid of Kabib and Holloway. But why should he be? If they beat him, he’ll just get a rematch two months later and get a win on decisions so Dana can milk his cashcow some more.

Aldo never got his rematch against Conor. So why did Conor get his rematch against Diaz?

Why should Khabib get a fight with Conor? He's in a division with an interim champion who would be next in line. McGregor said himself he's not bothered about fighting Khabib but he can't rely on him cos he has had his share of injuries and fitness troubles and it's right. I doubt him or the UFC want another Aldo situation where they hype a fight loads and then the fighter gets injured. Khabib has fought twice in 3 years, that's shocking and in no way deserves any title shot. He's also fought Holloway so I don't know why hed be that scared of him, a rematch has only really been mentioned since last weekends fights. Hardly like Holloway was calling him out.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why should Khabib get a fight with Conor? He's in a division with an interim champion who would be next in line. McGregor said himself he's not bothered about fighting Khabib but he can't rely on him cos he has had his share of injuries and fitness troubles and it's right. I doubt him or the UFC want another Aldo situation where they hype a fight loads and then the fighter gets injured. Khabib has fought twice in 3 years, that's shocking and in no way deserves any title shot. He's also fought Holloway so I don't know why hed be that scared of him, a rematch has only really been mentioned since last weekends fights. Hardly like Holloway was calling him out.
I don't think Dana would allow a Khabib v Conor fight for the reasons you said above - Khabib may not make weight or back out due to injury, at which point Dana and Zuffa would be out millions in marketing costs and potential PPV dollars. Can't take that sort of risk with your number one star and those who pay to come see him LIVE. If Khabib shows up and beats Barboza later this month, then that will put a bit more pressure on Dana to entertain a Conor fight at some point, provided Conor fights Ferguson first.

binary bot
I find it so funny that these people who are massive fans of McGregor, don't understand they had the wool pulled over them. I believe what you see now is the real McGregor, from what I've heard he was like this before the fame and money.
I think everyone always knew he was a cnut. When sports people are good at their sport though, they have lots of excuses made for them and blind eyes turned. The second they stop competing, the excuses dry up and the motivation for defending the person subsides.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think Dana would allow a Khabib v Conor fight for the reasons you said above - Khabib may not make weight or back out due to injury, at which point Dana and Zuffa would be out millions in marketing costs and potential PPV dollars. Can't take that sort of risk with your number one star and those who pay to come see him LIVE. If Khabib shows up and beats Barboza later this month, then that will put a bit more pressure on Dana to entertain a Conor fight at some point, provided Conor fights Ferguson first.
Indeed. Plus in terms of the leeway the UFC gives McGregor, I think allowing him to avoid injury-prone fighters is the most justifiable. Whatever else we might say about McGregor, he has been very willing to take replacement fights throughout his career. Given how much he puts into promoting his fights, I think it is entirely legitimate for him to have serious doubts about committing to a Khabib fight.

Pscholes18

Great fighter, can sell fights but a massive cnut.....never has to fight again, doubt he wants to unless it's an easy payday, ie Paq. Does anyone really want to see that?

cyberman

I do think this is overblown.
He was always friends with these people so its not Conor going off the rails but showing him as he is on the rails I guess?
Also Tony has had elbow surgery and hinted at the Conor fight in March (maybe?) when he returns.
There was a bit of teasing about it a few months ago so the timeline matches the radio silence since then. It now seems it was Tony who had to put this back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I do think this is overblown.
He was always friends with these people so its not Conor going off the rails but showing him as he is on the rails I guess?
Also Tony has had elbow surgery and hinted at the Conor fight in March (maybe?) when he returns.
There was a bit of teasing about it a few months ago so the timeline matches the radio silence since then. It now seems it was Tony who had to put this back.
What incentive does Conor have to return to MMA when he can box or twice the money ?

cyberman

but who though? I don't think that trick works twice.
I don't believe a word of this Manny fight tbh.
I think he'll get back to strengthen his position for a share of the company. Long term that'll pay more than any boxing match.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
but who though? I don't think that trick works twice.
I don't believe a word of this Manny fight tbh.
I think he'll get back to strengthen his position for a share of the company. Long term that'll pay more than any boxing match.
Its a two way street. On the surface, another boxing match for Conor seems silly. But when you look at it financially, it makes a lot of sense. Boxers know they can make a massive pay day by fighting Conor, which is precisely why Malignaggi and Pacquiao are trying to arrange it. Its basically a 12 round exhibition for $50m. Easy money.

cyberman

@Raoul
But Manny is broken down, he's fighting in Australia for little money.
The whole freakshow element is gone. I just can't see who buys it.
It can't be 50 million, he'll be lucky to get 20m, if that.
Remember that Mayweather fight got a shit tonne of criticism after the fact and that carries over.
Now Joshua v Ngganou on the other hand..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
@Raoul
Remember that Mayweather fight got a shit tonne of criticism after the fact and that carries over.
If Conor can get 100m from fighting Floyd, he could probably make 30m or so for fighting the likes of Pacquiao. That's still significantly more than going back to the UFC

lsd

The Oracle
If Conor can get 100m from fighting Floyd, he could probably make 30m or so for fighting the likes of Pacquiao. That's still significantly more than going back to the UFC

Cant see it happening rumours he suffered minor brain damage in the mayweather fight.Would struggle to be allowed to fight again if true

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cant see it happening rumours he suffered minor brain damage in the mayweather fight.Would struggle to be allowed to fight again if true
I doubt that's the case. If true, he wouldn't be allowed to return to UFC either, which is obviously not the case.

The Bloody-Nine

@Raoul
No one outside of hardcore MMA fans knows who Ngganou is.

Deleted member 101472

Enough brains to be sitting on more money than we’ll ever make in our lifetimes!
Let’s not put his success down to his brains. He’s an elite fighter with Irish banter, if he didn’t have smart people around him he’d have gone nowhere.