Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

MoneyMay

OK Conor can't be expected to sail through 12 rounds of boxing in his first fight but after 12 months of training for this his stamina was surprisingly bad. He should have been working in the gym all year in three rounds bursts with one minute intervals in everything that he did and we know he sparred extensively.

@MoneyMay

Does he carry too much muscle maybe?
Maybe, but I think there are two main factors which impact his cardio negatively more than that. He doesn't run, he prefers cycling. Since his knee went against Holloway, I think he's moved away from running - pre Diaz 2 fight, he gave the impression that he doesn't run any more - and there's no substitute for that. He's also a very explosive athlete (he throws everything into his shots).

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Also where's the twenty pounds heavier thing coming from? So only Conor put extra weight on after the weigh ins?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We didn't though. This was exactly what everyone was expecting. No one thought Conor had a chance and he didn't. People can't complain about being roped into paying for an event when it was patently obvious how competitive it would be from the outset.

It was more competitive than expected, though. So people got more than they expected.
Someone's been glugging too much of Mcgregor's own brand whiskey.

If Connor could just last 3 quarters of the race before needing to be rescued it'll be a victory of sorts.

Kazi

Also where's the twenty pounds heavier thing coming from? So only Conor put extra weight on after the weigh ins?
There are no official fight night weights. Personally think Conor was at least 175 and Floyd a bit over 150.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I reckon the inverse of the Conor/Floyd fight would be if someone like Ward or Alvarez challenged a 40 year old Anderson Silva to a 5 round MMA rules fight and wound up winning a round or two before getting submitted early in the 5th.

Charlie Foley

Someone's been glugging too much of Mcgregor's own brand whiskey.

If Connor could just last 3 quarters of the race before needing to be rescued it'll be a victory of sorts.
If at any point of a swimming race McGregor was ahead of Phelps though, even if we knew he was gassing himself out in doing so, that would be pretty impressive :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Floyd came in at 149.5lbs on the scales, well under the limit, he wouldn't have put very much on at all before the fight, he looked as fleshy as I have ever seen him before hand. Conor rehydrates to around 170lbs for his fights. You only had to look at them in the ring to see that Conor was a lot bigger in boxing terms.

Dumbat12

Let's be honest the only reason he got stopped was because he was so gassed. If he could hold his stamina up through 12 rounds he could have come close to winning.

His body type though isn't built for long slugs, it's short sharp explosive power, an 100m runner not a 5k. I think he did better than most people expected, but he could hardly stand on his own feet in the 7th round, anybody could have "stopped" him by that point.
I agree with this. Conor's main problem, his only problem (if anyone has even watched him fight in MMA) is that he gets tired waaaay too easily. He is a beast in the first few rounds, but after like 5 min the fatigue sets in and he disappears into oblivion. This has happened throughout his whole career. So all Floyd had to do, and did, is not to contest the first 4 rounds and let McGregor tire out, then the match became a breeze for him because Conor simply didn't have enough strength in him to deliver any meaningful shots. And Floyd was just the perfect counter pick for Conor really. Floyd has always had an exceptional cardio, easily going to 12 rounds without even a sweat while Conor can't pass 2 rounds in the UFC without breaking down.

If Conor wants that Diaz fight again, and if I was his coach, I'd make him run 5 hours each day from now till as long as he wants to fight. While I do not believe Diaz has the necessary quality to beat Conor again, Diaz is still capable of making a surprise, not to mention that if Diaz survives the onslaught of the first two rounds again, it'd be the same tough grind for Conor as the last match and I doubt he'd want that.

So all in all going for 10 rounds as an amateur against one of the greatest boxers of all time is still extremely impressive and it seems that's why McGregor is all happy about it, aside from the money.

Inter Yer Nan

Reliable inside sources saying PPV number closer to 4m than the reported 6m. It may go slightly over 4m but won't beat the 4.6m of Mayweather-Pacquaio according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Think McGregor weighed in around 168 or 169 for the Diaz fights after claiming he didn't need to cut weight for it so it's likely that's around his natural weight.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Reliable inside sources saying PPV number closer to 4m than the reported 6m. It may go slightly over 4m but won't beat the 4.6m of Mayweather-Pacquaio according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.
Apparently there were something like 3m "pirated viewers". This leads me to believe the PPV model of doing business is slowly going the way of the dodo bird.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We didn't though. This was exactly what everyone was expecting. No one thought Conor had a chance and he didn't. People can't complain about being roped into paying for an event when it was patently obvious how competitive it would be from the outset.

It was more competitive than expected, though. So people got more than they expected.
I think some may not admit it but they thought he had a chance. Probably the same posters that are trying to say McGregor held his own when, in reality, McGregor did exactly as Mayweather allowed him to do. Floyd wanted him to tire, thats why he sat on the ropes at the beginning of some rounds to encourage McGregor to let his hands go.

If Mayweather played his usual defensive gameplan then McGregor probably wouldn't have won a single round, but it would have been a boring spectacle and Mayweather would have got dogs abuse.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We knew the gate would fall short since there were massive sections where no one was sitting. The PPV buys however seem to be on course to break the record.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Full fight here...watch it while its still up.

Saw it on Sky Sports yesterday night and it was definitely one of the least competitive fights i have ever seen. It was to be expected but thought McGregor would land at least 1 decent punch in those 10 rounds he lasted. Mayweather dragged it as long as he could to give a sense to the public that the fight was worth it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Saw it on Sky Sports yesterday night and it was definitely one of the least competitive fights i have ever seen. It was to be expected but thought McGregor would land at least 1 decent punch in those 10 rounds he lasted. Mayweather dragged it as long as he could to give a sense to the public that the fight was worth it.
As to be expected. Conor is not a boxer and Floyd is one of the all time greats.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Awful event from beginning to end.

Not sure what anyone got out of this apart from $$$$$$$$$$$.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree 100%. I hate how Oscar De La Hoya has also barely promoted next weeks fight instead using pretty much every interview to talk shit about this "event".
How much promoting does De La Hoya actually have to do on this one. Canelo v GGG is pretty self-explanatory and there are loads of promotional videos floating around the net, including the HBO stuff.

Inter Yer Nan

How much promoting does De La Hoya actually have to do on this one. Canelo v GGG is pretty self-explanatory and there are loads of promotional videos floating around the net, including the HBO stuff.
I think the fight speaks for itself, but in general feel it's been a fairly lackluster promotion. Something feels a bit off IMO. I think had he exhausted more time into pushing the fight and not using his whole time to talk about how much he hates the August 26th fight the fight would do even better.

The irony of it all is less than 12 months ago De La Hoya said "The only fight in Boxing that makes sense is Canelo-McGregor" and also dismissed the idea of a GGG fight and then as soon as Mayweather-McGregor is made he's on a crusade to tell people it's the worst thing in the history of sports.

cyberman

So clinches and standing chokes etc are legal?
There has to be kicks, without them the mma striking distance would be nullified.

Deleted member 101472

If throwing someone down and clinches are legal then it’s an easy pay day for conor.

Inter Yer Nan

It will happen. It looks bad on Mayweather because he looks like a pussy for basically making them do Boxing rules again but it looks worse on the UFC for allowing one fighter to change their entire rules.

Also, no elbows? Floyd has never been able to not throw elbows in a Boxing match so he's expected to not throw here?

I thought Mayweather-McGregor would happen two years ago and predicted as much and I think part 2 is sure to happen. I think it will happen and most likely this year. The cynic in me thinks Mayweather is rushing it because he's seeing how big GGG-Canelo 2 will become because of the drug test fiasco and Joshua-Wilder. He hates not being the focus.