Conservative MP David Amess stabbed to death

Droid_Repairs

Can people stop starting comments with

"He may be a Tory but"
"Don't like his politics but"

Nick Griffin tried that when Jo Cox was murdered and he was rightfully lambasted for his distasteful tone.

The man killed today was a husband and a father of five. Nothing else matters.

Kaos

Fecking hell, shocking news, RIP.

Anything on the murderer? A desperate/disgruntled constituent? Someone with severe mental health issues?

Tarrou

RIP, this is so shocking

Thats two in five years after none since the IRA days

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Last I heard was that he was stabbed. Damn :(
no justification for this type of reaction
Time for the politician’s to behave like adults and calm people down

OleBoiii

Record scratch? His whole fecking record collection got vandalised by an ex girlfriend.

"Yeah, that's me. DJ Jeff. Looking like a real prick.You're probably wondering how I ended up here. Well it all began on October 15, 2021 on RedCafe..."

RIP :(

I guess it will take at least a few days before we know the motive of the killer?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Makes me worried for my mum. She’s not a politician but she works as a public servant and I guess on occasion people will be disgruntled at her.

Jericholyte2

I'm going approach this subject rather gently because from the reactions previously I have some controversial views on this.

On a personal level this is an horrific act of violence and can never be condoned or justified. Nobody should ever fear going to a workplace because of something like this and it's a tragedy. A husband and father has been killed and thoughts and condolences obviously go out to them.

However, honestly I've been expecting something like this to happen for quite a while now. The restrictions and pressures that people have been put through, combined with the public actions of the Conservative Party, have built up a resentment against them. I've said on multiple occasions that I can understand how people can become radicalised as all you have to do is print out a list of headlines that explain our government's contempt for 'the common man'. The Covid response, the 'one rule for them, another for us' mentality, Barnard Castle, Matt Hancock, ending of furlough, removal of the UC uplift, rising costs etc, it builds up pressure. It was frankly only a matter of time before something like this turned violent.

As I've said before, I in know way am trying to justify the individual attack, but I can completely understand how that build-up could have sparked a violent response.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Fecking hell, shocking news, RIP.

Someone with severe mental health issues?
I think that’s fairly safe to assume!

R.I.P to that human being, and thoughts to his family.

Perhaps this type of thing might remind those in positions of power that creating such a ridiculous amount of division and tension while cutting funds to Health and Policing is a disastrous and irresponsible way to govern.

Droid_Repairs

I'm going approach this subject rather gently because from the reactions previously I have some controversial views on this.

On a personal level this is an horrific act of violence and can never be condoned or justified. Nobody should ever fear going to a workplace because of something like this and it's a tragedy. A husband and father has been killed and thoughts and condolences obviously go out to them.

However, honestly I've been expecting something like this to happen for quite a while now. The restrictions and pressures that people have been put through, combined with the public actions of the Conservative Party, have built up a resentment against them. I've said on multiple occasions that I can understand how people can become radicalised as all you have to do is print out a list of headlines that explain our government's contempt for 'the common man'. The Covid response, the 'one rule for them, another for us' mentality, Barnard Castle, Matt Hancock, ending of furlough, removal of the UC uplift, rising costs etc, it builds up pressure. It was frankly only a matter of time before something like this turned violent.

As I've said before, I in know way am trying to justify the individual attack, but I can completely understand how that build-up could have sparked a violent response.
"I'm not going to justify this"

*Writes list of reasons trying to justify it*

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
you’d like to think but it won’t. I wonder if there’s going to be some blowback for Angela Raynor’s ‘scum’ comments regarding Tories the other week.
why

Smores

There's always crazies around and MPs are in a very susceptible position. I'm honestly surprised we don't see more events like this.

Our politics is quite extreme right now so it certainly doesn't help but i wouldn't jump to conclusions that it was a politically motivated just yet.

littlepeasoup

Our political system has fomented hate and division for too long, praying on people's worst natures and fears. It has a lot to answer for on just how broken our society has become. We are so much better than this.

Jericholyte2

I'm in no way justifying it, the man who did it should have the book thrown at him as appropriate. But things like this aren't simply black or white and never occur in a vacuum.

There is a key difference between justification and explanation.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm in no way justifying it, the man who did it should have the book thrown at him as appropriate. But things like this aren't simply black or white and never occur in a vacuum.

There is a key difference between justification and explanation.
Let's save the theorising until we actually know what happened and why.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He's really not justifying it though, in fact, I'd say everything he said rings true. If there's actual food shortages come winter then I foresee more horrific acts of this ilk in the near future.

Thoughts are with his family, this is going to be a brutal time for them as there's little chance this death doesn't end up being politicised, I hope they get their chance to grieve properly.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jesus wept, some of the posts in here are abhorrent.

A working politician does not deserve to be killed, no matter any political views or persuasions.

Also, a father and a husband has been taken away.

Absolutely shocking that this can happen again so soon, if ever, after Jo Cox.

Bosws87

He deserves 25 years for his mate bringing CBD oil into the country without his knowledge.

Doing his job in government, he's conservative so deserves to die.

Just another day on Redcafe...

On a real note that's terrible, RIP.

Ladron de redcafe

I don't like incidents like these. In a civilized society, regardless of how abhorrent and execrable a person and/or his views are, you can't murder him. Otherwise, a democratic society degenerates into an uncivilised one.

jeff_goldblum

Feels like the country is going down a really dangerous road. Given the political atmosphere of the last few years, the complete lack of course correction (in terms of political dialogue) following Jo Cox's murder and the inherent difficulty of predicting these 'lone wolf' kind of attacks, it's felt like a matter of time before something awful happened again.

At the same time though, there's nothing to be gained out of speculation and guesswork as to whether it's about X or Y issue. There will be plenty of time to discuss all that when the facts are clearer.

P.S - I am a different jeff

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He deserves 25 years for his mate bringing CBD oil into the country without his knowledge.

Doing his job in government, he's conservative so deserves to die.

Just another day on Redcafe...

On a real note that's terrible, RIP.
Fortunately this one didn't happen. The other was a shocker though.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Rarely post on here about anything that's non sporting but wonder why some are calling for the perpetrator to receive the harshest sentence allowable?
Is the life of an MP more important than that of a call centre worker or a farmer who had also been randomly murdered?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't like incidents like these. In a civilized society, regardless of how abhorrent and execrable a person and/or his views are, you can't murder him. Otherwise, a democratic society degenerates into an uncivilised one.
I don't know about that point. You are turning an isolated incident into something that it's not while not taking into account that the civilized society that you are referring to includes violent criminals, sexual offenders and thieves among many other things. It's important to keep in mind that out of millions of people a minority is not civilized at all and it has nothing to do with society or democracy.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

I don't know about that point. You are turning an isolated incident into something that it's not while not taking into account that the civilized society that you are referring to includes violents criminals, sexual offenders and thieves among many other things. It's important to keep in mind that out of millions of people a minority is not civilized at all and it has nothing to do with society or democracy.
That's true, and i suppose you're right. Acts of incivility will be frequent in every society.