Conte - Inter's new manager; Signed 3 year contract

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not sure if his strength is building a team - his own signings at Chelsea were quite poor (Kante was signed before him) & I don't think he had much influence in Juventus' recruitment. But he seems to get the most out of the resources available to him - at least for a while, in Chelsea's case.
Funnily enough of the 4 best signings juventus made in his era, he was against 2 of those(pirlo and tevez) and neutral to the other 2(vidal and pogba). Good thing he's quick to accept when he's wrong and adapt
Why do so many clubs get an instant impact from a new manager in terms of a tactical system, signings and motivated players yet we struggle left, right and center with any manager?
For starters, most managers don't have anything to do with signings

Btw, please stop mentioning euro 2000. I do remember

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Why do so many clubs get an instant impact from a new manager in terms of a tactical system, signings and motivated players yet we struggle left, right and center with any manager?
The same reason a new relationship breathes fresh air into some people and not others: package. You got lots of it. You're a hot mess.

Nick7

What? That literally happened under Ole. We went on a fantastic run the first few months under him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good thing he's quick to accept when he's wrong and adapt
That's actually a bit of a deceptive statement with Conte.

He 'adapts' to his preferred system once it goes tits up with the system he inherited but (atleast with us) when managers started finding tactical answers to his 3atb he had absolutely no answer and we (save for 15/16) played our most tumescent and dour brand of football in the modern era.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's actually a bit of a deceptive statement with Conte.

He 'adapts' to his preferred system once it goes tits up with the system he inherited but (atleast with us) when managers started finding tactical answers to his 3atb he had absolutely no answer and we (save for 15/16) played our most tumescent and dour brand of football in the modern era.
Yeah, i meant he's quick to accept and adapt when it comes to signings

He's so far never showed a plan C tactically. At both Juve and Chelsea he came in with certain ideas, saw they didn't work and adapted before it was too late. With Italy and Inter he came in with his patented plan B(3 at the back) and didn't need to change

RoyH1

Serie A desperately needs another team than Juventus to win the championship. Parity is more entertaining than one sided dominance. I hope Inter can win it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Just me or is he terrible in Europe? Should stick to domestic competitions.

PoTMS

Doesn't help when your star striker is absolute shite in big games, which all CL games are.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was a tough group, pretty harsh criticism.
Dortmund been off colour in recent months and Inter had better head to head record over two games so very frustrating campaign for them given they were 2 up in Dortmund and also 1 up in Barcelona and lost both of those games late on.

Ultimately they made things far harder for themselves with 1-1 home draw to Prague in first game. If they'd won that they'd only needed a draw with Barca to get through.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Drew to Slavia and fecked up in the Barca games, rued their chances in the first and well they played Barca's reserves pretty much here didn't they

Paul_Scholes18

I feel Conte would have been perfect to take over Jose at United. We missed a trick here.
Me too. He worked well with the type of players Mourinho had around in Chelsea.

I think what we lacked for being a good Conte side was probably some good wingbacks. Valencia and Young for 4 years ago would have been perfect for those roles. Although he might have developed Dalot into one.

SAFMUTD

I feel Conte would have been perfect to take over Jose at United. We missed a trick here.
Exactly my thoughts, he has Inter playing quite well and challenging in the league without having a strong squad like Juve.

Pav1878

Exactly my thoughts, he has Inter playing quite well and challenging in the league without having a strong squad like Juve.
What, skriniar de vrij and godin as a back three? That's as strong as any side in Europe at the back. But I agree he has done well. Still don't believe he was the right fit for United. He plays counter attacking football essentially. Isn't that what we want to get rid of? We want to start taking the game to the opposition, not wait for the game to come to us.

Conte isn't a progressive manager, he's old school. When it works then great, but when it doesn't it goes to sh*t.

SAFMUTD

What, skriniar de vrij and godin as a back three? That's as strong as any side in Europe at the back. But I agree he has done well. Still don't believe he was the right fit for United. He plays counter attacking football essentially. Isn't that what we want to get rid of? We want to start taking the game to the opposition, not wait for the game to come to us.

Conte isn't a progressive manager, he's old school. When it works then great, but when it doesn't it goes to sh*t.
Yes I not saying he has a shitty squad but I dont find it great, he has a solid defence and a good attack, the midfield is really poor, much like us.

Bojan11

He’s a good manager.

Not on the level of Klopp and Pep. But he’s definitely in the top 5 managers in the world category. People underestimate the work he did at Juve considering how clueless they were before he arrived. He made them great again. All these league titles they won he’s the one who started it and Allegri followed it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Inter press more than United actually

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Could we get a title change?

Antonio Conte | Hired as United DOF - May 2019

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
You realise he's purchased 3 30+ year olds from United alone, this forum was in freefall last summer when Mourinho tried to purchase Perisic and Willian FFS. (Who would be our 2 best players right now if Woodward had actually backed his man.)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You realise he's purchased 3 30+ year olds from United alone, this forum was in freefall last summer when Mourinho tried to purchase Perisic and Willian FFS. (Who would be our 2 best players right now if Woodward had actually backed his man.)
Difference is, he’s actually doing well with them. Mourinho was up to nothing.

Conte is a serious manager. Just a tier below the Klopp’s of the world due to his inability in Europe

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Difference is, he’s actually doing well with them. Mourinho was up to nothing.

Conte is a serious manager. Just a tier below the Klopp’s of the world due to his inability in Europe
Mourinho won the EL and LC in his first season and finished 2nd to Pep's £1B City (as well as being a Phil Jones mistake away from the FA Cup). What?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sorry, for about his best ever season ever. Ignore me!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's made for Italy. More Italian than a pan of Pizza and that is an understatement.

Skills

Snitch
I thought you guys had gotten over your fetish for OAPs, considering how big a waste of money both Sanchez and Matic turned out to be. And you want to add another 2?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I thought you guys had gotten over your fetish for OAPs, considering how big a waste of money both Sanchez and Matic turned out to be. And you want to add another 2?
I wouldn't say Matic was a waste of money. He was very good in his first season then completely overplayed due to a lack of depth and options. Since coming back he's looked again.

Sanchez in hindsight was a poor purchase but age wasn't the reason.

Lots of teams purchase players over 28 and reap success. I don't need to list them but there are a lot of examples.

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn't say Matic was a waste of money. He was very good in his first season then completely overplayed due to a lack of depth and options. Since coming back he's looked again.

Sanchez in hindsight was a poor purchase but age wasn't the reason.

Lots of teams purchase players over 28 and reap success. I don't need to list them but there are a lot of examples.
Matic was a collosal waste of money for £40m and 1 good season. 1 good season which delivered feck all in terms of tangible success.

I get buying 1-2 30+ year olds if they're the key to taking you over the line but Matic didn't do that. And Mourinho himself admitted the team was nowhere near good enough to win a title, so why did we spend £40m on him rather than get a younger alternative like Fabinho for the same price?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Matic was a collosal waste of money for £40m and 1 good season. 1 good season which delivered feck all in terms of tangible success.

I get buying 1-2 30+ year olds if they're the key to taking you over the line but Matic didn't do that. And Mourinho himself admitted the team was nowhere near good enough to win a title, so why did we spend £40m on him rather than get a younger alternative like Fabinho for the same price?
I don't think the "team nowhere good enough to win a title" is referring specifically to us buying Matic though. Our problem (up until this season where we sold Fellaini/Herrera and have had Pogba/McTominay injured) was not midfield.

We've failed in so many aspects (personnel, performance, management) over the past few years that it's

Skills

Snitch
I don't think the "team nowhere good enough to win a title" is referring specifically to us buying Matic though. Our problem (up until this season where we sold Fellaini/Herrera and have had Pogba/McTominay injured) was not midfield.

We've failed in so many aspects (personnel, performance, management) over the past few years that it's
No I'm talking about Mourinho himself saying getting 2nd was a miracle success. If in his opinion the club was so far from the required level, why did he spend so much on players like Matic and Sanchez who you would typically buy to "take you over the line". Generally, with that type of investment you're signifying you're close to short term success.