Conte | Spurs Manager

Gopher Brown

Makes zero sense this.

Spurs are in a much worse state than Inter and their current lack of ambition annoyed the hell out of him. Without a massive squad overhaul, something Spurs don’t have the money for, he’s going the same way as Poch & Jose.

One of those that leaves you scratching your head cause you and the majority are 90% certain how it’ll turn out.
I agree to an extent. But it seems Inter want to dismantle what’s he’s built by selling players - that’s demoralising in any business. Even if the net result is the same at spurs (little money), seeing your hard work destroyed, and presiding over it is far worse for your state of mind than starting afresh with a new club.

still think it will go wrong, not because he doesn’t have money, but because he’s an explosive personality - that can only be sustained for so long.

romufc

Makes zero sense this.

Spurs are in a much worse state than Inter and their current lack of ambition annoyed the hell out of him. Without a massive squad overhaul, something Spurs don’t have the money for, he’s going the same way as Poch & Jose.

One of those that leaves you scratching your head cause you and the majority are 90% certain how it’ll turn out.
Its actually a perfect fit if you look at the squad.

Spurs have average CB who can play in a 5 -2 -3 and will most probably sign a Cb
They have Doherty, Regulion who are decent wing backs
Hojberg, Ndombole are a good midfield pairing
They have Kane, Son, Bergjwin and Dele up top.

The players clearly suit the type of football Conte plays.

In respects to ambition? they are hiring a proven manager for the second time. They spent £240m in 2 summers.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Spurs have average CB who can play in a 5 -2 -3 and will most probably sign a Cb

In respects to ambition? they are hiring a proven manager for the second time. They spent £240m in 2 summers.
Yes Spurs have some great to good to average players. If players allow conte to get the best out of them he can bring Spurs into top 4 equation.

Squad depth is not good enough but he can play kids in new europe thing and fully concentrate on league.

romufc

Yes Spurs have some great to good to average players. If players allow conte to get the best out of them he can bring Spurs into top 4 equation.

Squad depth is not good enough but he can play kids in new europe thing and fully concentrate on league.
Conte has shown what he can do, he played Moses RWB and won the league. If the players listen, he can get them working well.

youngrell

Makes sense to me.

Sure he may be able to go a step above Spurs, but he will soon start to run out of potential suitors in that bracket and has proven he can take teams higher than expected. Aside from the potential for histrionics, it would be a great appointment for Spurs and a decent match for Conte.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
will end in tears. Great coach and theyll perform under him; but will inevitably complain when Levy refuses to back him heavily in the market.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Makes zero sense this.

exactly Conte, much as i love him, is a "just one more signing please?" kinda manager.

He wont get that at Spurs.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Conte has shown what he can do, he played Moses RWB and won the league. If the players listen, he can get them working well.
Conte has been able to use very average players as wing backs, like Moses, Alonso, Lichsteiner, even Ashley Young.

But he has always had real quality in the interior of his teams, especially his midfield (Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Kante, prime age Matic, Brozovic, Barella) and the middle ball playing CB (Bonucci, Luiz, De Vrij).

IMO, the biggest challenge at Spurs is that he doesn't have those players in the interior. There is nobody to be the ball playing CB in the middle, they don't have anybody to be the CDM/deep lying playmaker like Pirlo or Brozovic (Hojbjerg and Winks are not nearly good enough, maybe Skipp could do this eventually but Conte won't trust him right now) and while they have a few candidates for the all action midfielder roles (N'Dombele, Lo Celso) they just aren't the same level as players like Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Kante, and Barella that Conte has generally worked with.

Irwin99

Conte has been able to use very average players as wing backs, like Moses, Alonso, Lichsteiner, even Ashley Young.

But he has always had real quality in the interior of his teams, especially his midfield (Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Kante, prime age Matic, Brozovic, Barella) and the middle ball playing CB (Bonucci, Luiz, De Vrij).

IMO, the biggest challenge at Spurs is that he doesn't have those players in the interior. There is nobody to be the ball playing CB in the middle, they don't have anybody to be the CDM/deep lying playmaker like Pirlo or Brozovic (Hojbjerg and Winks are not nearly good enough, maybe Skipp could do this eventually but Conte won't trust him right now) and while they have a few candidates for the all action midfielder roles (N'Dombele, Lo Celso) they just aren't the same level as players like Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Kante, and Barella that Conte has generally worked with.
Actually think Hojberg had a good first half of the season whenever I saw him but he faded really badly when things began to fall apart for Jose.

Any manager would look at Kane and Son and be excited by the prospect of working with them but it does seem a hopeless situation given the work and the transfers needed to make them competitive, not to mention changing the mentality of a club who have a reputation of being serial losers. I'm not sure it would be enough for even someone like Conte to get them doing well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lloris
Sanchez/Rodon Alderweireld Dier
Hojbjerg
Doherty Sissoko Ndombele Reguilon
Kane Son
I expect at least two new CBs and a new right wing back minimum for his first transfer window since those positions are critical for his system. And then upgrading Sissoko and the squad depth next year. It makes sense if Levy promises to back him but it makes zero sense if he doesn't. If Conte doesn't get what he wants, he will keep complaining to the media and just ruin the club. He can act childish and unprofessional when that happens.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, that would be interesting.

Not sure how much sense it makes, though - for either party.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm intrigued. Would he continue to get solve castaway problems for other clubs? Maybe he would actually fancy some of our players still as part of Kane's transfer :wenger:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Actually think Hojberg had a good first half of the season whenever I saw him but he faded really badly when things began to fall apart for Jose.

Any manager would look at Kane and Son and be excited by the prospect of working with them but it does seem a hopeless situation given the work and the transfers needed to make them competitive, not to mention changing the mentality of a club who have a reputation of being serial losers. I'm not sure it would be enough for even someone like Conte to get them doing well.
Agree on Hojberg in general I just don't think he really fits into any of the roles Conte tends to have in his midfield. He never really uses a pure destroyer.

And your second paragraph is spot on.

In the end, Conte doesn't really have any other options right now and Spurs is offering to pay him 20m. But if things don't go fantastically next year and another club comes calling next summer that gives him a better chance of winning leagues and CLs, he is going to jump ship.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Agree on Hojberg in general I just don't think he really fits into any of the roles Conte tends to have in his midfield. He never really uses a pure destroyer.

And your second paragraph is spot on.

In the end, Conte doesn't really have any other options right now and Spurs is offering to pay him 20m. But if things don't go fantastically next year and another club comes calling next summer that gives him a better chance of winning leagues and CLs, he is going to jump ship.
He could choose to wait for another club to be available - or he could have taken the Madrid job. He decided to come to Spurs. I suspect we will have an announcement soon on stadium rights to fund spending.

el3mel

Spurs is probably a stop gap job for Conte. Of course if it works for him and wins trophies he'll stay, but I think it'll be 2 years max as usual.

The expectation there will be less than previous clubs though. I mean next season they'll be targeting a top 4 finish at best. Maybe win this shitty Europe Conference League new competition ? Spurs should be the strongest in it.

ti vu

Spurs is probably a stop gap job for Conte. Of course if it works for him and wins trophies he'll stay, but I think it'll be 2 years max as usual.

The expectation there will be less than previous clubs though. I mean next season they'll be targeting a top 4 finish at best. Maybe win this shitty Europe Conference League new competition ? Spurs should be the strongest in it.
This is where the issue coming. Conte wants to win. He's not there just to meet the boss unambitious expectation. He's on his own mission. And by that he would demand resource, tools. If not being provided, we all know how bold Conte can be in the press.

Every job he takes is a stop gap. There is not a better job available for him this summer. One (at least) of Barca/ Real will be available next summer, wouldn’t be surprised if PSG is as well.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Anyone questioning why he would go to Spurs needs to remember his rampant Chelsea team.

Alonso, Moses, Cahill, David Luíz and Pedro were all starters in that team that won the league at a canter. Matic, for all his ability, was used as a box to box midfielder. But Conte is a winner and he made it work.

Son/Kane could well be his Hazard/Costa. Reguillon is a better player than Alonso. Ndombele is tremendously gifted and he has decent squad options.

If he came in and signed a right wingback, quality CB and an engine in midfield, he would easily have this Spurs team in the top 4. He is a quality coach.

ti vu

Anyone questioning why he would go to Spurs needs to remember his rampant Chelsea team.

Alonso, Moses, Cahill, David Luíz and Pedro were all starters in that team that won the league at a canter. Matic, for all his ability, was used as a box to box midfielder. But Conte is a winner and he made it work.

Son/Kane could well be his Hazard/Costa. Reguillon is a better player than Alonso. Ndombele is tremendously gifted and he has decent squad options.

If he came in and signed a right wingback, quality CB and an engine in midfield, he would easily have this Spurs team in the top 4. He is a quality coach.
Matic didn't play box to box. It was Kante, so good luck finding one on same level of quality. Matic and Kante allowed Conte to play with 2 central midfield, thus 3 attackers in many occasions. If playing only with two real attackers, you would need better wing backs which happened next season when Matic left, and Conte needed to play with more CMs. Conte wanted to upgrade on Alonso and Moses, but ended up with worse players. One of the reasons he's pissed with Chelsea transfer, beside missing out on Lukaku.

Son is very different player to Hazard. He is not very influential in the build up. Conte is good but he's no miracle worker, or he wouldn't have issue transform Morata to Lukaku...

Unpopular opinion here, but Kane may not enjoy playing for Conte. Conte's forward pair since Juventus seem to be the typical big physical one and small pacy one, as his system would restrict the number of attacker on the pitch. Kane doesn't fit the profile. He's not physical enough for the big forward role, despite having great hold up ability. Of course, Kane doesn't fit the pacy forward profile

To say Conte can easily get Spurs in top 4, which means one of the Liverpool, Chelsea, City and us would miss out. I don't see it, with Spurs had fallen behind in term of squad building. It would require at least one those 4 to underperform, not that extracting all out of this Tottenham teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Done according to some ITK's on Twitter, if Conte wanted to leave Inter after 1 year after the level of investment they gave him I can't imagine what 1 year under Levy will be like :lol:

Maluco

Matic didn't play box to box. It was Kante, so good luck finding one on same level of quality. Matic and Kante allowed Conte to play with 2 central midfield, thus 3 attackers in many occasions. If playing only with two real attackers, you would need better wing backs which happened next season when Matic left, and Conte needed to play with more CMs. Conte wanted to upgrade on Alonso and Moses, but ended up with worse players. One of the reasons he's pissed with Chelsea transfer, beside missing out on Lukaku.

Son is very different player to Hazard. He is not very influential in the build up. Conte is good but he's no miracle worker, or he wouldn't have issue transform Morata to Lukaku...

Unpopular opinion here, but Kane may not enjoy playing for Conte. Conte's forward pair since Juventus seem to be the typical big physical one and small pacy one, as his system would restrict the number of attacker on the pitch. Kane doesn't fit the profile. He's not physical enough for the big forward role, despite having great hold up ability. Of course, Kane doesn't fit the pacy forward profile

To say Conte can easily get Spurs in top 4, which means one of the Liverpool, Chelsea, City and us would miss out. I don't see it, with Spurs had fallen behind in term of squad building. It would require at least one those 4 to underperform, not that extracting all out of this Tottenham teams.
Both his CMs had to get up and down in the system and cover a lot of ground. It certainly wasn’t a natural fit for Matic but he got the job done.

In any case, to win the PL easily with that first eleven so early on was impressive. There were obvious gaps in the squad and players were asked to do things they wouldn’t normally do, but players like Alonso and Moses ended up performing very well and having their best seasons in his system. He can make things work and there will be a few players in that Spurs squad that he will get a whole other level out of.

Kane is a better all round footballer than Costa and I think he can play as a physical nine. He is a lot more physical and, at times, dirty, than the media would have you believe. I think he can mix it up and be the physical number 9 that Conte needs.

Son is no Hazard, but he is lively and energetic and they have had a great partnership in poor teams and poor seasons. There is no reason to believe that they couldn’t produce under Conte. They are two very well rounded and flexible players.

They are a few signings away from having a team that wouldn’t be far off that Chelsea team. If the goal is top 4 and not a title, I fancy him to get it done. He is a machine in the league and won’t take the job if he doesn’t think he will have what he needs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't Mourinho really want Skriniar last summer. Would be interesting if Conte could get him as would be massive upgrade at CB.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Both his CMs had to get up and down in the system and cover a lot of ground. It certainly wasn’t a natural fit for Matic but he got the job done.

In any case, to win the PL easily with that first eleven so early on was impressive. There were obvious gaps in the squad and players were asked to do things they wouldn’t normally do, but players like Alonso and Moses ended up performing very well and having their best seasons in his system. He can make things work and there will be a few players in that Spurs squad that he will get a whole other level out of.

Kane is a better all round footballer than Costa and I think he can play as a physical nine. He is a lot more physical and, at times, dirty, than the media would have you believe. I think he can mix it up and be the physical number 9 that Conte needs.

Son is no Hazard, but he is lively and energetic and they have had a great partnership in poor teams and poor seasons. There is no reason to believe that they couldn’t produce under Conte. They are two very well rounded and flexible players.

They are a few signings away from having a team that wouldn’t be far off that Chelsea team. If the goal is top 4 and not a title, I fancy him to get it done. He is a machine in the league and won’t take the job if he doesn’t think he will have what he needs.
I think you really underrate the talent of that Chelsea team. They had the core of the title winning 14-15 team intact and largely still in their prime and then added the best CM in the league in Kante plus David Luiz, who had a great season that year. The only average players were the wingbacks but that is a hallmark of Conte’s sides.

That team had far far more talent than this Spurs side.

Spurs have a negative xg in aggregate over their last 95 league matches going back 2.5 seasons. They’ve been a mediocre team under three different managers. Chelsea were an excellent title winning side that basically downed tools for four months during the Mourinho implosion and then waited around for the next man, who was Conte.

Maluco

I think you really underrate the talent of that Chelsea team. They had the core of the title winning 14-15 team intact and largely still in their prime and then added the best CM in the league in Kante plus David Luiz, who had a great season that year. The only average players were the wingbacks but that is a hallmark of Conte’s sides.

That team had far far more talent than this Spurs side.

Spurs have a negative xg in aggregate over their last 95 league matches going back 2.5 seasons. They’ve been a mediocre team under three different managers. Chelsea were an excellent title winning side that basically downed tools for four months during the Mourinho implosion and then waited around for the next man, who was Conte.
I am not saying they will win the title, but players like Luíz and Cahill, as well as Moses and Alonso, never really impressed me. He will get what he wants to compete and I would back him to be challenging for top four straight away.

He will make them a good side again and he will be ruthless in putting together a functional unit. Like I said, they need to add a top CB and top CM, but if he were to get assurances, and let’s just say they went out and got a top CB, as well as someone like Bissouma from Brighton and he asked to keep Bale.

They could have a functional unit with proper quality and a decent bench in no time.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Unbelievable how due to circumstances, a club like Spurs is getting a top5 manager in the world. Ridiculous.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Unbelievable how due to circumstances, a club like Spurs is getting a top5 manager in the world. Ridiculous.
Same with Liverpool when they got Klopp :(

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He could choose to wait for another club to be available - or he could have taken the Madrid job. He decided to come to Spurs. I suspect we will have an announcement soon on stadium rights to fund spending.
So you think he rejected Madrid job for Spurs?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Let's be real here mate, if Madrid job was given to him, he'd have taken it eyes closed. He's probably taking it due to a lack of options but that shouldn't really matter to you guys. You actually are getting a world class manager.

dinostar77

I'm not sure this will happen. Conte is a serial winner and he will want assurances of Kane staying, which im not sure how spurs can give. Also he'd want a hefty transfer budget and levy's philosophy of buying young players and selling them on for a profit is anemic to conte's idea of buying proven players/veterans to help him achieve his goals.

I don't think liverpool landing klopp is similar as no disrespect to klopp he hadn't won as much as conte had when he took the liverpool job.

Then again conte may just want to manage someone and spurs is the best of whats left unless somehow the PSG job becomes available to him. Perez going for the stability of ancelotti over the relentless of conte must sting with him.

If arsenal or utd actually had half a brain cell at board level, they'd get in touch woth Conte and tell him to to rush to any old appointment. Just take your time and see what happens by xmas. Maybe one or both of the utd and arsenal jobs would become available, all it takes is for a bad start for one of the managers at those clubs. Conte at Arsenal would definitely shake that club out of its stupor.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
So you think he rejected Madrid job for Spurs?
More like Madrid rejected him. Perez desperately needed yes man as of now. Ancelotti has the profile to work within the frame and won't rock the boat.

Conte on the other hand, made obi Mikel of Chelsea think "what an ******* this man is". That's his explosive nature and can pick a fight from monolisa portrait.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

When he took over at Chelsea the squad was full of players who had won the league a season before but more importantly it was at a time that teams like Utd, City & Liverpool were all in a slump.

Those average players at Spurs are just that average in truth not much better than say Everton who again a top manager couldn’t really get a tune out of.

It will end In tears

romufc

I get that the players are inferior. He will have money to spend otherwise he wouldn't be taking the job. There is one thing we know about Conte is, if he does not get his signings, he will not be quiet about it. I do not think that will suit spurs, they need a yes man.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He is too good for spurs but then he doesn’t have many options - there are only so many big ish clubs to manage. I can see him at athetico or PSG but I don’t think Barca, Real or Bayern would be interested.

romufc

When he took over at Chelsea the squad was full of players who had won the league a season before but more importantly it was at a time that teams like Utd, City & Liverpool were all in a slump.

Those average players at Spurs are just that average in truth not much better than say Everton who again a top manager couldn’t really get a tune out of.

It will end In tears
That might be the case, you cannot underestimate the job he done though.

I am not sure how Kane and son are average though.

Okey

Conte and Paratici would be quite some coup for Spurs. Top 4 race will be proper crowded next season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's a strange world these days when spurs sack Jose Mourinho to hire Antonio Conte, whilst clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United persist with ex-players like Solskjaer and Arteta.

Can't see him win more than a lesser cup there but will be interesting to see which teams he can push past in the league. This team was in need of rebuilding when they hired mourinho, who was clearly not the right choice for that, and only moreso now that Kane is going.

Maybe he can be convinced to stay on account of Kane basically being the most ideal Conte forward ever, but either way it will be interesting to see how he will approach such a rebuild and how much freedom he will get to do so.