Conte | Spurs Manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Genuine question- has anyone seen @GlastonSpur . He argued with me when they were top but couldn't see him anywhere near since then.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Genuine question- has anyone seen @GlastonSpur . He argued with me when they were top but couldn't see him anywhere near him since then.
Like all Spurs fans, he gave it the biggun whilst they were doing well and went straight back into the woodwork when they weren't. Every Spurs fan I know is notorious for this.

romufc

I wonder what it means for Kane now, a manager rejecting Spurs due to ambition.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder what it means for Kane now, a manager rejecting Spurs due to ambition.
He is loyal to Spurs but Spurs now need to give it back. Man utd or man City will come and they need to give in.

Whoever bid higher will take him and Spurs have to use his money wisely to develop a better team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Like all Spurs fans, he gave it the biggun whilst they were doing well and went straight back into the woodwork when they weren't. Every Spurs fan I know is notorious for this.
Some of us still here even when it turns to shite don't worry.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope they don't get Erik ten Hag, he seems like one of the most exciting attacking managers out there.
He extended in late April despite Spurs interest. It would be surprising if changed his mind roughly a month later.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He extended in late April despite Spurs interest. It would be surprising if changed his mind roughly a month later.
No he didn't, Ajax triggered an extension, much like PSG did with Poch. Do I think we will get him? No, very few people shit on Ajax as they are seen as a model for every club. Levy is fecked IMO, we wont see a manager until after the Euros. Who? I have no idea.

JPRouve

Scout
No he didn't, Ajax triggered an extension, much like PSG did with Poch. Do I think we will get him? No, very few people shit on Ajax as they are seen as a model for every club. Levy is fecked IMO, we wont see a manager until after the Euros. Who? I have no idea.
So Ajax are lying?

Ajax has reached an agreement with Erik ten Hag for the extension of his contract which previously ran until June 30, 2022. The new agreement will take effect on July 1, 2021 and will run until June 30, 2023.

JPRouve

Scout
So his "new" contract is for a year? Extremely odd.
It's not odd, the length of a contract isn't the only aspect of it. Maybe his salary was increased at the same time which effectively could mean that he has two years at a higher fee.

Gandalf

You already have a manager, Ryan Mason. I don't know why he would not be in the frame at this point as he clearly meets the requirement of understanding the clubs DNA and if this is going to be a full on rebuild with most of the current first XI being sold on then having a young manager to grow with his team is not the worst idea. He may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about his career being ended early too, quite a few managers like Clough have used that as fuel to achieve from the dugout what they could not on the pitch.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You already have a manager, Ryan Mason. I don't know why he would not be in the frame at this point as he clearly meets the requirement of understanding the clubs DNA and if this is going to be a full on rebuild with most of the current first XI being sold on then having a young manager to grow with his team is not the worst idea. He may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about his career being ended early too, quite a few managers like Clough have used that as fuel to achieve from the dugout what they could not on the pitch.
Mason will not be our manager next season, he is currently out interim head coach. I wouldn't really have a problem if he was permanent as we arent going anywhere under Levy's MO.

I guarantee you he’s managed spurs for the last time… at least until the next manager gets the boot. No chance he’s gets the managers job.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why would Ajax offer him a higher wage, for one year?
To be able to keep him longer, or get a larger transfer fee in case he does go? Clubs do the same for players all the time.

I agree, btw, that the extension does not necessarily mean that Ten Hag will definitely stay longer at Ajax for next season, or even for the next two seasons. But it's certainly a statement of intent and it would take a really good project (and good transfer money) to get him to leave now, just after agreeing to that extension.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Because they want to keep him and nothing says that he won't extend again?
You realise this makes no sense? They want to keep him, so they offer him an extra year? I don't mean to sound obtuse but that's balls. The only reason a player or manager signs a "new" 1 year contract is cause the player or manager sees himself elsewhere very soon.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be able to keep him longer, or get a larger transfer fee in case he does go? Clubs do the same for players all the time.

I agree, btw, that the extension does not necessarily mean that Ten Hag will definitely stay longer at Ajax for next season, or even for the next two seasons. But it's certainly a statement of intent and it would take a really good project (and good transfer money) to get him to leave now, just after agreeing to that extension.
I dont think we are getting him, as he has said he is happy, EVDS has said he is staying, but a "new" one year contract is extremely odd.

Abraxas

They would do well to get Santo or Potter, two very different managers in terms of style but both have done solid jobs. Two managers who would likely want the job at a bigger club, that can build a side or have shown promising signs that they can, that do not have the giant egos of the manager's Spurs are associating themselves with.

Conte and Jose made absolutely no sense, most people at the time were baffled by the Jose appointment, it did not require much forward thinking to realise the disaster potential. Conte does not coalesce with where Spurs are either.

I think this muddled thinking does reflect some kind of panic on Levy's part. They are probably desperate for the quick fix, but there isn't one for that squad. Whether Kane stays or leaves, there is building to do.

JPRouve

Scout
You realise this makes no sense? They want to keep him, so they offer him an extra year? I don't mean to sound obtuse but that's balls. The only reason a player or manager signs a "new" 1 year contract is cause the player or manager sees himself elsewhere very soon.
It makes perfect sense but for some reason you are trying to corner your view, as if long term was the only thing that make sense. No one told you that they only offered him a 1 year extension, nothing tells you that he didn't consider other offers what you can deduce is that they want to keep him, he wants to stay on the short to mid term and he got himself a contract that allows him to spend more time at Ajax while also giving himself some flexibility while Ajax keep a manager that they want to keep and they will deal with the future when it comes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I dont think we are getting him, as he has said he is happy, EVDS has said he is staying, but a "new" one year contract is extremely odd.
I really don't think so. It happens all the time with players: when they do well, clubs want to make sure they stay longer, and go for a contract extension - and of course the player will use that moment to negotiate higher wages. Those extensions can apply to various periods of time, depending on the wishes of the club and the player. That's nothing odd, is it? Even just for one year.

I don't know why it would be any different for a manager. In this case, I can easily envision a situation where Ajax is aware of Ten Hag's strong international profile, and therefore want to have a better guarantee that he'll either stay longer with them or get them a bigger fee when eventually he does leave; and where Ten Hag is amenable for that on the condition that his wages increase and the extension isn't too long.

Also, Ajax is well-known for negotiating with players that they'll stay another year with Ajax in exchange for the club fully cooperating with a move the year after. This might well be a similar situation - in which case the one-year extension makes perfect sense, as it prevents Ten Hag leaving Ajax on a free next summer.

Anyway, which names are currently actually doing the rounds for Spurs?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I really don't think so. It happens all the time with players: when they do well, clubs want to make sure they stay longer, and go for a contract extension - and of course the player will use that moment to negotiate higher wages. Those extensions can apply to various periods of time, depending on the wishes of the club and the player. That's nothing odd, is it? Even just for one year.

I don't know why it would be any different for a manager. In this case, I can easily envision a situation where Ajax is aware of Ten Hag's strong international profile, and therefore want to have a better guarantee that he'll either stay longer with them or get them a bigger fee when eventually he does leave; and where Ten Hag is amenable for that on the condition that his wages increase and the extension isn't too long.

Also, Ajax is well-known for negotiating with players that they'll stay another year with Ajax in exchange for the club fully cooperating with a move the year after. This might well be a similar situation - in which case the one-year extension makes perfect sense, as it prevents Ten Hag leaving Ajax on a free next summer.

Anyway, which names are currently actually doing the rounds for Spurs?
Honestly, no idea :lol:, the whole thing is a mess, from top to bottom and I don't think we will get anyone in till after the Euros.

Pep's Suit

Even if Spurs have a great season they're still very likely to finish behind City, United, Chelsea and Pool so unless Levy spends 200M this summer it would make sense to rebuild their squad and hire a young, progressive manager. They'll finish somewhere between 5th and 10th anyway.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Honestly, no idea :lol:, the whole thing is a mess, from top to bottom and I don't think we will get anyone in till after the Euros.
Well, not much business is done anyway during the Euros and I suppose a significant portion of your squad is away, so I guess not too much time is lost - as long as Levy doesn't put the search on hold as well! :D

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Even if Spurs have a great season they're still very likely to finish behind City, United, Chelsea and Pool so unless Levy spends 200M this summer it would make sense to rebuild their squad and hire a young, progressive manager. They'll finish somewhere between 5th and 10th anyway.
Yeah that's similar to how I felt when we fell so far behind City and Liverpool 2/3 years ago.

We ain't winning the big prizes so bring some youth through and let us enjoy the games.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well, not much business is done anyway during the Euros and I suppose a significant portion of your squad is away, so I guess not too much time is lost - as long as Levy doesn't put the search on hold as well! :D
Its gonna be a long few weeks, Paratici is said to be announced this week hopefully he can give us a boost in the recruiting department.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Spurs and Conte would be a horrible match. Conte is all about winning trophies. That's something Spurs has not been good at for a long long time

dinostar77

Levy must have lost his marbles to employ paratici. The man ruined juventus. It was down to him that allegri got the boot and sarri then pirlo came in. He authorized that mess of a midfield and the ronaldo deal thats financially crippling juventus. Madness.

Give it less then a season before he leaves spurs.

saivet

It will be interesting to see how he does with that Spurs squad. It's not particularly good and in need of investment. If he manages to get a top 4 spot it will be an impressive achievement.

BlueHaze

He must have been seriously desperate for a job to go there. He won't be challenging for the league ahead of Klopp and Pep. He'll probably take them into the top 4 and thats it. I have a feeling he will have a big fallout with Levy within 1 year.