Conte | Spurs Manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs will be o.k. Have the look of a team that will ruthless dispatch majority of bottom half teams home and away so that on its own could be good enough to secure top 4.

Need to keep their first choice back 3 fit for long periods as Sanchez is as mediocre as he was 3-4 years ago, constant ball watching and silly decisions. They're not going deep in competitions with him in the backline.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Boiling a game down to shots on target stats. Some tactical analysis that.:)
Eh. At the end of the day you generally need to shot to score...chelsea dominated possession and were the better team, but at the end of the day other than the James goal they didn't create much. Or anything, really

Gazza

Eh. At the end of the day you generally need to shot to score...chelsea dominated possession and were the better team, but at the end of the day other than the James goal they didn't create much. Or anything, really
You could be opened up completely but the opposition shoot wide or don't get the shot off etc., my larger point being that shots on target isn't in itself a strong rebuttal to the idea that a team was 'dominated' or 'outplayed'.

Telsim

Under Nuno Spurs were worse than us last season. Absolutely awful. In less than a year and with only two transfer windows Conte has them tied with City on top of the table with a GD of +11. Silenced his critics once again. World class manager. If he stays and gets what he wants in January and next summer, I can see Spurs contending for the title.

Judas

Open to offers
Under Nuno Spurs were worse than us last season. Absolutely awful. In less than a year and with only two transfer windows Conte has them tied with City on top of the table with a GD of +11. Silenced his critics once again. World class manager. If he stays and gets what he wants in January and next summer, I can see Spurs contending for the title.
Nope. It'll be the usual "I told you so" when it comes to Conte in time.

I'm still glad we avoided him.

Telsim

"The usual I told you so". You mean like how he has usually won the leagues with every team he has managed?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think performance is more likely than results to catch up. Just like Man Utd under Ferguson.

Gazza

I’d love to know what you’d class Sterling ballooning the ball over the bar from 6 yards with almost a gaping goal? That’s as close to a sitter as it gets. Without the ref blunder, that game ends in a deserved Spurs loss.
Yeah, that is an example of what I was alluding to.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’d love to know what you’d class Sterling ballooning the ball over the bar from 6 yards with almost a gaping goal? That’s as close to a sitter as it gets. Or Havertz missing from point blank? Without the ref blunder, that game ends in a deserved Spurs loss.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Boiling a game down to shots on target stats. Some tactical analysis that.:)
Well if we want get fancy then xG was 1.8-1.6 and the game finished 2-2, so again that would suggest Chelsea weren't particularly unfortunate. If anything I'd say they were lucky that their donkey CB momentarily turned into Marco van Basten.

Mmxxii

7 games into the season is too early to draw conclusions. By comparison, Utd were level with City at this point last season with Chelsea at the top and Tuchel being hailed by some as the best manager in football.

Judas

Open to offers
"The usual I told you so". You mean like how he has usually won the leagues with every team he has managed?
If you'd rather watch his football that'll end in the usual strop that's your choice, I'm far more excited to be on our current path. I've no lustful leering at whats going on at Spurs right now.

Also quite obviously fair fecks if he wins Spurs the league, he won't though. So him usually doing that at other clubs is whatever, he manages big rich clubs who are the best in their leagues, no wonder he does well. He's not awful by any means, but he's not for me.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Conte will silence his critics when he does something meaningful in the champions league

Nobody has any doubts he's a great league manager. Let's see how he does when the big boys come to town and the injuries start to mount

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Conte will silence his critics when he does something meaningful in the champions league

Nobody has any doubts he's a great league manager. Let's see how he does when the big boys come to town and the injuries start to mount
So basically he should get no credit at all for league position. I'm not sure if that's what you mean but that is one interpretation of what you are saying.

He is doing a great job at Spurs.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
If you'd rather watch his football that'll end in the usual strop that's your choice, I'm far more excited to be on our current path. I've no lustful leering at whats going on at Spurs right now.
What path is that then? As an outsider it seems to me that ten Hag has already dropped his principles in order to get Utd functioning and the performances haven't been massively dissimilar to those you'll see from a Conte team.

Judas

Open to offers
What path is that then? As an outsider it seems to me that ten Hag has already dropped his principles in order to get Utd functioning and the performances haven't been massively dissimilar to those you'll see from a Conte team.
Rome wasn't built in a day, as cliched as it is to say. The signs are obvious that we're actually being coached, which is a massive upgrade on the shite we've been watching for years. He doesn't have the squad to play his football from the jump, so why sacrifice results to implement it right now? Many of us worried he would be too stubborn to do just that, so it's actually quite good to see.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I’d love to know what you’d class Sterling ballooning the ball over the bar from 6 yards with almost a gaping goal? That’s as close to a sitter as it gets. Or Havertz missing from point blank? Without the ref blunder, that game ends in a deserved Spurs loss.
Ok, maybe I have poor memory of the game :lol:

Guy Incognito

A bit like arsenal.. who have they actually played yet who is a decent side?

Their style of play is not good to watch and I realise this sounds mistimed given 6 goals scored tonight and 4 against Southampton, but they look very one dimensional to me.
No I agree. They can score in bursts but they concede too much space and are too reactive at times. Sooner or later, as Sporting showed, the performances will catch up on them.

They could finish in the top four but Conte realistically has a squad good enough to win a domestic trophy. Kane and Son aren't getting any younger.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It will be tiring: for the players, the fans, the oppos and himself. A motivating target can be Poch’s 86 points benchmark… 87 and 2nd in the table would not make him happy but it is what it is (until he starts complaining).

el3mel

Told you so about what ? He has never failed once in his career so far. Juve, Italy, Chelsea and Inter..all have been a success for him.

el3mel

You'd rather have him than Ten Hag I assume? You've clearly got no patience for the latter, yet you'd happily stomach Conte's football?
None of these is true. :lol:

No one said I don't have patience for Ten Hag but I'm not blindly supporting every single decision he makes either. Whether you accept it or not, Ten Hag isn't a god and he makes mistakes. Every manager does.

As for Conte's football, I find it odd to keep on criticizing other managers' styles while we're clearly not playing free fluid football either. We were pragmatic in all our wins in the league so weird to criticize other managers for being so.

And whether we like his football or not, he's clearly a successful manager, who has been doing well at this job since he got it.

Matt851

You'd rather have him than Ten Hag I assume? You've clearly got no patience for the latter, yet you'd happily stomach Conte's football?
The idea that contes teams all play dull defensive football seems to be peddled by people who have spent very little time watching his teams.

Spurs certainly aren't perfect but the turnaround he has effected since taking over is remarkable. I am hopeful we have appointed the right person in eth but there is no doubt contes standing in the game is higher at the moment

Judas

Open to offers
The idea that contes teams all play dull defensive football seems to be peddled by people who have spent very little time watching his teams.

Spurs certainly aren't perfect but the turnaround he has effected since taking over is remarkable. I am hopeful we have appointed the right person in eth but there is no doubt contes standing in the game is higher at the moment
I enjoyed watching him at Inter and at times with Juve. Found his Chelsea team pretty rancid albeit efficient.

el3mel

Actually Ten Hag is a god, and he doesn't make mistakes. Cya later!
Actually you're free to believe that regardless from sarcasm. No one forces you to even not thing that he's never wrong. Meanwhile I also have the right to criticize him when I think he's doing wrong things or taking a wrong direction. That doesn't equate me wanting him sacked, mind you. You guys just view things in so black and white ways, all the time.

Anyway, he's not the main point of discussion here. We were talking about Conte.

TheReligion

Abusive
So basically he should get no credit at all for league position. I'm not sure if that's what you mean but that is one interpretation of what you are saying.

He is doing a great job at Spurs.
@Bale Bale Bale too

Are you both happy with this style of football?

There were a lot of boos yesterday, moans and groans. The game was alot closer than the score suggested and Leicester were quite dominant with possession.

I rate Conte as a coach by the way but the football is quite ugly and can’t be that enjoyable to watch?