Conte | Spurs Manager

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I suppose the big question is whether he stays or not.

If you have a manager that does some variation of possession based positional play, as is most popular among top sides these days, then you can lose him and replace him pretty seamlessly. There are lots of variations on this but all of Guardiola, Ten Hag, Nagelsmann, Arteta, Xavi, and Potter are in this school and even Tuchel and Klopp to some degree.

The issue with Conte is that very few top managers play his anything like his style nowadays. So if you build a squad to cater to his tactics, with wingbacks and defensive oriented central midfielders and attackers like Richarlison who aren't very technical, and the team trained to play a deep line, have 40% possession, and hit on the break, you are kind of fecked if he leaves.
How boring would it be if every team played the same way?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean it’s also just a childish way to go about responding to posts, I don’t think that was pointed out previously
Thanks for adding that opinion. Always good to have an adult opinion on my childish posting.

BarcaSpurs

The issue with Conte is that very few top managers play his anything like his style nowadays. So if you build a squad to cater to his tactics, with wingbacks and defensive oriented central midfielders and attackers like Richarlison who aren't very technical, and the team trained to play a deep line, have 40% possession, and hit on the break, you are kind of fecked if he leaves.
And that has been the case for Juventus, Inter and Chelsea?

I've seen Chelsea fans on here mentioning the positional play drilled in to the team by Conte still being evident during Tuchels Champions League win.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I've seen Chelsea fans on here mentioning the positional play drilled in to the team by Conte still being evident during Tuchels Champions League win.
Spurs have far less talent, especially young to prime talent, than any of those sides. And its not like its been an easy ride for either Chelsea or Inter. In terms of domestic form, Chelsea's last five years is easily the worst stretch of the post-Roman takeover era. Inter regressed last year and now are sitting 7th. Only Juventus really enjoyed a lot of success after Conte's departure and they were just light years ahead of the rest of Serie A at the time in terms of talent and resources to acquire more talent when Allegri took over.

LoneStar

How boring would it be if every team played the same way?
Pretty sure most neutral fans would like both teams to have a proper go at each other. Rather than one team parking the bus.

There's no right way of playing football. But parking the bus, especially if you are a 'big' team is easily the most boring option.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pretty sure most neutral fans would like both teams to have a proper go at each other. Rather than one team parking the bus.

There's no right way of playing football. But parking the bus, especially if you are a 'big' team is easily the most boring option.
We don't park the bus though. We create a ton a chances every match.

the_cliff

It's bollocks, all of Conte's teams have gone on to be successful within a short period of time after him leaving. It's just a myth that a full rebuild is needed after he leaves.

I'm sure any manager that comes in after Conte leaves would have no use for Perisic/Richarlison/Kulusevski/Romero/Bissouma etc.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah the NLD is going to be very interesting. I may be proven to be completely wrong and a total idiot however I don't have any fear of Arsenal because I think the way we play means that if you really come at us and attack then that will suit us perfectly well and we will destroy you on the counter. Therefore I feel quietly confident we will beat Arsenal.
What if you dont absorb the pressure and concede a goal?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What if you dont absorb the pressure and concede a goal?
Think that's why the first goal will be important. Although they've still shown they can come from behind vs Chelsea, so you always need to be on guard.

Maybe another factor will be how unscathed players return from international duty.
We might have a slight advantage here, guys like White, Gabriel, Vieira, Jesus & Martinelli weren't picked, and Zinchenko & Odegaard are nursing injuries so hopefully these guys are a bit fresher. I don't think the theres many of the Spurs potential starting XI who aren't away on international duty, with Lloris and Ben Davies having to pull out with injuries.

Devil81

Listening to Talksport on the drive into work then and he's being linked with a return to Juventus if they sack Allegri.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
No chance.
Conte is Italian. the Juventus job is one of the rolls royce jobs in Italian football. I dont think Conte would leave mid-season but if Juventus offer him the role for the 23-24 season very real chance Conte bids arrivederci to Spurs

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Conte is Italian. the Juventus job is one of the rolls royce jobs in Italian football. I dont think Conte would leave mid-season but if Juventus offer him the role for the 23-24 season very real chance Conte bids arrivederci to Spurs
Juve is a total mess and he has everything he wants at Spurs. I don't see why he would leave unless he feels he isn't getting backed any longer.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Juve is a total mess and he has everything he wants at Spurs. I don't see why he would leave unless he feels he isn't getting backed any longer.
Conte's family are living in Italy.

There are more variables at play than just football. If Juventus offer him the job I thimk he takes it

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Conte's family are living in Italy.

There are more variables at play than just football. If Juventus offer him the job I thimk he takes it
His wife is from Turin and the family house is still there, since his player days. Of course, a return may always happen but, at this stage, it is a premature rumor for a number of reasons involving both parties. Point is, as long as he does not pen and extend his contract with Spurs formally, rumors will fly. As a Juve fan, I would like to move forward, though… after two possible years with Conte II, will we have Allegri III? It’s a joke, you know.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Interesting that a lot was made of these supposed Juventus links yet as soon as Conte completely shoots them down and says how happy he is at spurs and that he has no issues signing a new contract there is almost no mention of it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Interesting that a lot was made of these supposed Juventus links yet as soon as Conte completely shoots them down and says how happy he is at spurs and that he has no issues signing a new contract there is almost no mention of it.
That's boring, bump the thread when something interesting happens

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I did not but I would not be surprised if a manager declared his love for a club only to leave a couple of months later.
Ok well I guess you are the sort that believes bogus press articles and then discounts what the people involved actually say when they contradict them. That's your choice.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Ok well I guess you are the sort that believes bogus press articles and then discounts what the people involved actually say when they contradict them. That's your choice.
I mean, you're surely not naive enough to believe he would respond anything else, or that it actually means anything long term?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
All I took out of Conte’s press conference is that he’s not going anywhere this season but he’s not ruling out leaving in the summer, including to Juventus. Which is basically what anybody with a brain already knew.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
No but I was pointing out the difference between the coverage both were getting.
You're talking about these quotes?
“There is not contract, there is not option … if the club and the manager want to work together they will continue to work together. If they don’t want to work together they finish,” Conte said.

“The most important thing for me is that I’m really enjoying to work with Tottenham, with these players, especially, and the relationship with Daniel and Fabio is good. I’m OK and I think the club is happy about this situation.

“Now the most important thing for Tottenham’s present and Tottenham’s future is to get the best possible result [against Arsenal].”
And
“I said in the past I didn’t need another contract to be sure to stay in a club. Also, for the club, it’s a good investment to have a coach like me and my staff. At the right time, I will take the best decision. At this moment, I’m really happy.
?

Not exactly pledging himself to Tottenham, why do you feel these should have gotten particular coverage? :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're talking about these quotes?

And

?

Not exactly pledging himself to Tottenham, why do you feel these should have gotten particular coverage? :lol:
Had I not pointed out that he addressed the rumours I doubt anybody would have even mentioned it Vs several posts at the slightest hint of him leaving

MegadrivePerson

All I took out of Conte’s press conference is that he’s not going anywhere this season but he’s not ruling out leaving in the summer, including to Juventus. Which is basically what anybody with a brain already knew.
Conte wants to win league titles and he knows that he will never be able to do that long term at Spurs. Hopefully Conte is off at the summer and this triggers Kane pushing hard for a move. He will only have one year left next summer, so Spurs may finally be forced to sell.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If I were a spurs fan I'd be insecure.

Spurs are unlikely to challenge for top honours and Conte is doing well and has done quite well at a number of clubs so he's likely to get poached by big clubs when they come knocking.

In addition, another top manager may not take the reigns and their chairman is frugal.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Had I not pointed out that he addressed the rumours I doubt anybody would have even mentioned it Vs several posts at the slightest hint of him leaving
Strange attitude. Passive aggressive post about quotes not being reported in which he basically doesn't commit to Spurs and leaves the door open, which is basically what everyone knows and has been saying, and you're hurt because you were the first to report them?

Handré1990

Strange attitude. Passive aggressive post about quotes not being reported in which he basically doesn't commit to Spurs and leaves the door open, which is basically what everyone knows and has been saying, and you're hurt because you were the first to report them?
I get it though! This is a Manchester United forum, why wouldn’t we put more focus on Spurs managers coming and goings…?

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah you’re right, if Conte really did want to go back to Juventus he’d have come out in the recent presser and told everyone he’s thinks Tottenham are shit and too small time for his ambitions, but he didn’t so he will probably stay forever.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Passive aggressive? I'm just reporting what he said. Flip me

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Big game today for him, for Spurs and Arsenal as well.