Conte | Spurs Manager

tomaldinho1

He hasn't worked miracles, everyone knew Kane and Son's form would've stepped up the moment Nuno left. What he has done well is made them work as a unit, and exploited their counter attacking potential. Saying that I was surprised Chelsea contained their midfield with ease yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see if they do push on bearing in mind Arsenal bottled it last season and strengthened their forward line as a result. I think Conte can win them a domestic cup but top four is the best they can do with that squad.
Yes he’s made them very functional albeit it’s quite a basic way to play. That’s why I never wanted him here - he brings a lot of entertainment because he’s a bit nuts, which is great, but his teams are usually a bit of a chore to watch.

Im not surprised they were dominated in midfield, that’s usual against the top midfields but I don’t know how they didn’t end up with 10 men. I don’t really get the point of VAR - no foul for the hair pull and also now they are not going to issue retrospective action. It’s like they have to double down to save face.

Abraxas

He's a bloody good manager, isn't he. They weren't that amazing, but they seem to have a lot more resolve and steel about them now. A team does start to reflect the ideals of its manager after a while. They're going to have a pretty strong season I would have thought.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They had a few corners which piled on pressure. I don't consider that resolve and steel. They were second best to nearly every duel on the pitch.

Abraxas

They had a few corners which piled on pressure. I don't consider that resolve and steel. They were second best to nearly every duel on the pitch.
Yet they got a result in a tough fixture. That's what managers like Conte do. By hook or by crook they'll get results.

OleksUsykUD

Yes he’s made them very functional albeit it’s quite a basic way to play. That’s why I never wanted him here - he brings a lot of entertainment because he’s a bit nuts, which is great, but his teams are usually a bit of a chore to watch.

Im not surprised they were dominated in midfield, that’s usual against the top midfields but I don’t know how they didn’t end up with 10 men. I don’t really get the point of VAR - no foul for the hair pull and also now they are not going to issue retrospective action. It’s like they have to double down to save face.
His team scores plenty of goals. Drowning conclusion from 1 game is just not a good look for. He is playing effective football.

Anyone saying any different then Conte work magic with Tottenham is absolutely terribly biased. They were dead last on most statistics in the league. Their defense was terrible, and they was 19th or 20th in terms of running per match. They were described as laziest team, and we see the result with top tier manager.

He would have work his magic here as well. Huge mistake by the board to not appointed him.

Also the so call hair pull was no way a read card. A yellow yes, but there is such duels in every single match, where players from 2 teams are fighting for position waiting for the corner to come. There should be red card every match for that. Plenty of such duels end with "suplex".

Also the first goal was 100% legit. If people watch the replay from different angle, Bentancur touched the ball slightly, but enough to change the direction.

People also forget that Sessegnon missed 1on1 chance vs the GK, as well as Kane. Chelsea also missed and was the better team, but Tottenham usually play terribly against Chelsea, so X for Tottenham was a good result.

tomaldinho1

His team scores plenty of goals. Drowning conclusion from 1 game is just not a good look for. He is playing effective football.

Anyone saying any different then Conte work magic with Tottenham is absolutely terribly biased. They were dead last on most statistics in the league. Their defense was terrible, and they was 19th or 20th in terms of running per match. They were described as laziest team, and we see the result with top tier manager.

He would have work his magic here as well. Huge mistake by the board to not appointed him.

Also the so call hair pull was no way a read card. A yellow yes, but there is such duels in every single match, where players from 2 teams are fighting for position waiting for the corner to come. There should be red card every match for that. Plenty of such duels end with "suplex".

Also the first goal was 100% legit. If people watch the replay from different angle, Bentancur touched the ball slightly, but enough to change the direction.

People also forget that Sessegnon missed 1on1 chance vs the GK, as well as Kane. Chelsea also missed and was the better team, but Tottenham usually play terribly against Chelsea, so X for Tottenham was a good result.
Lots to unpack here, mostly because I didn;t say half the stuff your arguing against...
The "so called" ( :lol: ) hair pull was a 100% red card - Dermot Gallagher even agreed and he's looking for any opportunity to let refs off. I actually agree on the first goal (and never said different) the tackle was fine.

I didn't say his teams don't score enough goals, he certainly plays effective football though. I said above why I don't think he's worked 'magic' if you disagree, that's fine, I just think you have a low bar for 'magic' if so.

OleksUsykUD

Lots to unpack here, mostly because I didn;t say half the stuff your arguing against...
The "so called" ( :lol: ) hair pull was a 100% red card - Dermot Gallagher even agreed and he's looking for any opportunity to let refs off. I actually agree on the first goal (and never said different) the tackle was fine.

I didn't say his teams don't score enough goals, he certainly plays effective football though. I said above why I don't think he's worked 'magic' if you disagree, that's fine, I just think you have a low bar for 'magic' if so.
Yeah it wasn't you, but the guy that quoted you, but i think i was clear that it wasn't towards you. My bad that didn't explain it better.

As far as the magic goes, he build Juventus that have just come from Serie B, and have 2x 7th places. He won the title in his very first season, than repeat, and then make it 3x.

He won the title with Chelsea, when everyone was saying they are finish, and in that matter they have finished 10th.

He won the title with Inter, when they haven't won the title for a good 10 years.

Yeah Spurs was far far away for getting top 4, so yeah he do his magic in there. They were also looking absolutely terribly, and even we trashed them 3-0. For team like Tottenham(with all due respect) Top 4 is a great result, and what they are fighting for.

It's absolutely unrealistic for anyone to think anyone can do any better. Both Klopp and Guardiola are for a good 6-7 years in their current team and have perfected their team, their squad, and their playstyle. Another top 4 for Tottenham would be great result and another great achievement for Conte.

Guy Incognito

The midfield gave the ball away 65 times in the first half against Forest.

They barely concede chances which is probably Conte's aim, but then it'll result in snoozefests like the Wolves game, especially if they can nullify the counter attacks.

tomaldinho1

The midfield gave the ball away 65 times in the first half against Forest.

They barely concede chances which is probably Conte's aim, but then it'll result in snoozefests like the Wolves game, especially if they can nullify the counter attacks.
Yeah I watched the first half and it was just the same as most games. They are simply not fun to watch but a very functional counter attacking team.

Forest had a lot of success against them but don’t have the quality. They also weren’t really shooting from around the box which was odd, I get it’s higher risk and they might get countered but they had so much ball in good areas and didn’t really do much.

Is it going to be enough for top 4 again is the question because better teams will find ways to score when they have that much possession around the box.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I watched the first half and it was just the same as most games. They are simply not fun to watch but a very functional counter attacking team.

Forest had a lot of success against them but don’t have the quality. They also weren’t really shooting from around the box which was odd, I get it’s higher risk and they might get countered but they had so much ball in good areas and didn’t really do much.

Is it going to be enough for top 4 again is the question because better teams will find ways to score when they have that much possession around the box.
The data backs this up.

So far they've been very successful at pulling off a bend-but-don't-break approach to defense and then countering ruthlessly. But I'm skeptical about how far this approach will take them in the long run.

tomaldinho1

The data backs this up.

So far they've been very successful at pulling off a bend-but-don't-break approach to defense and then countering ruthlessly. But I'm skeptical about how far this approach will take them in the long run.
Good to know my eyes are in good working order ;)

Valencia Shin Crosses

The data backs this up.

Yeah basically the same approach Conte has always had. Organize well, defend deep, don't concede clear cut chances. It's super dull and a bit outdated of a way to play imo, but if you have elite forwards like Spurs do you can get away with it against most teams because you know you'll create enough on the counter to amass points. But it's also why I hated people clamoring for him last winter.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah basically the same approach Conte has always had. Organize well, defend deep, don't concede clear cut chances. It's super dull and a bit outdated of a way to play imo, but if you have elite forwards like Spurs do you can get away with it against most teams because you know you'll create enough on the counter to amass points. But it's also why I hated people clamoring for him last winter.
They don't have credible defense. It's easy to say play expansive foot ball. But they don't have players in middle and in defense.

Their entire strategy depends on finishing in top 4 with additional cl income they build team further. For that they needed points. So nothing wrong with their approach.

I will say Conte most adaptable coach in the world with whatever player personal he can mould a good team.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Adaptable is another way of saying defensive. When I hear the word adapt being used, means most time park the bus

Arsenals team is not more talented than Spurs and they do not play such dreadful football

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The data backs this up.

Would like to see the stats compared to his past title winning teams, could be interesting.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
The part in brackets being the most pertinent bit there.

Conte doesn't care about possession or style points, he wants to dominate both boxes and the stats suggest that's what we're doing. For all of Forest's supposed dominance yesterday, their xG was less than half of Spurs'.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Adaptable is another way of saying defensive. When I hear the word adapt being used, means most time park the bus

Arsenals team is not more talented than Spurs and they do not play such dreadful football
Give it time to see how arsenal will play when teams in form come their way. Also give time to Conte too to work up their team fully.

CarbonStoolBites

His football can be effective in the league but I would never want us to appoint anyone like that ever again.
Horrible prehistoric reactive counter attacking 1990’s football, he’ll get schooled in Europe like he always does.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I’d be delighted to have Conte at Madrid, in case getting Klopp is impossible. At times under Zidane we played terrible football, but we won stuff. I think it would also do the club a world of good in terms of ideas (the coaching knowledge bank at the club) after almost 8 years of 4-3-3.

Next season:
Courtois
Nacho — Militao — Rudiger
Carvajal — Tchou — Cama — Alaba
Valverde/Rodrygo — Benz — Vini

CarbonStoolBites

I’d be delighted to have Conte at Madrid, in case getting Klopp is impossible. At times under Zidane we played terrible football, but we won stuff. I think it would also do the club a world of good in terms of ideas (the coaching knowledge bank at the club) after almost 8 years of 4-3-3.

Next season:
Courtois
Sure, sounds sensible. Why keep doing what works if you can throw it all out of the window and change to an entirely different formation and hire the biggest underachieving big name coach in the CL.

I get it though, winning 5 CL titles in the last 8 years must become redundant by now, may as well be a “community shield” at this point, eh? Or a glorified friendly competition.

Talk about first world problems.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Next season:
Courtois
I mean it seems to have worked just fine so why change?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean it seems to have worked just fine so why change?
Got to refresh from a position of strength rather than desperation. Also players might need some refreshing ideas to prevent stagnation.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I personally dont like his style of football but there is no arguing it is not successful.

For all the possession Wolves and Notts forest had they had very few real clear cut opportunities. This plays out in the xG stats.

They ground out a draw at Chelsea, although Romero should of been sent off.

Having Kane and Son on the counter is enough to scare any team in Europe. Nobody wants to be defending 2 on 2 vs them if they break fast.

ti vu

Next season:
Courtois
You can't be serious?

Even if you want something different, why would RM want Conte is far from proven in CL? Conte is even colder version of Mourinho with almost the same abrasiveness.

And no. Real Madrid hasn't really play a true 4-3-3 for the past 4 seasons or even longer. It's been more like 2 up top with all the problem with Hazard, Bale, Asensio. Rodrygo couldn't nail down that RF, while Vinicius Jr. only established himself as starter on LF spot last season.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Why keep doing what works if you can throw it all out of the window and change to an entirely different formation and hire the biggest underachieving big name coach in the CL.
Carlo is likely to leave at the end of the season. He has already spoken about retirement after Madrid. When he leaves which coach is attainable and a proven performer?
He wins leagues and at Madrid will have enough squad depth to do well in CL. Remember: prior to his Madrid stints, Carlo who has coached top teams longer only had 2 CLs.
Conte has only really coached top teams for 6 years. In his first 2 years at Juve the team was not CL worthy.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Even if you want something different, why would RM want Conte is far from proven in CL? Conte is even colder version of Mourinho with almost the same abrasiveness.
Carlo is likely to leave at the end of the season. He has already spoken about retirement after Madrid. When he leaves which coach is attainable and a proven performer?
He wins leagues and at Madrid will have enough squad depth to do well in CL. Remember: prior to his Madrid stints, Carlo who has coached top teams longer only had 2 CLs. Conte has only really coached top teams for 6 years. In his first 2 years at Juve the team was not CL worthy.
Real Madrid hasn't really play a true 4-3-3 for the past 4 seasons or even longer.
There is no such thing as a 'true' 4-3-3. Everyone has different interpretations of it. Almost every formation played since Zidane, has 3 upfront. Carlo himself has said we play 4-3-3. More on our 4-3-3
https://www.football-espana.net/2021/10/19/carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid-formation
https://www.rdftactics.com/post/madrid-monster-4-3-3-tactic-carlo-ancelotti-tactics-fm22-tactics
https://therealchamps.com/2016/08/18/real-madrid-4-3-3-formation/
Rodrygo couldn't nail down that RF, while Vinicius Jr. only established himself as starter on LF spot last season.
Rodrygo has had injuries and is only 21. He has had to share time with Asensio, Bale, Hazard and Valverde (who is actually a CM but provides physicality).
Just in La Liga, Vinicius played 29 games in 2020 and 35 games in 2021. He was established (but not as productive) before the 2022 season.

ti vu

He wins leagues and at Madrid will have enough squad depth to do well in CL. Remember: prior to his Madrid stints, Carlo who has coached top teams longer only had 2 CLs. Conte has only really coached top teams for 6 years. In his first 2 years at Juve the team was not CL worthy.

There is no such thing as a 'true' 4-3-3. Everyone has different interpretations of it. Almost every formation played since Zidane, has 3 upfront. Carlo himself has said we play 4-3-3. More on our 4-3-3
https://www.football-espana.net/2021/10/19/carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid-formation
https://www.rdftactics.com/post/madrid-monster-4-3-3-tactic-carlo-ancelotti-tactics-fm22-tactics
https://therealchamps.com/2016/08/18/real-madrid-4-3-3-formation/

Rodrygo has had injuries and is only 21. He has had to share time with Asensio, Bale, Hazard and Valverde (who is actually a CM but provides physicality).
Just in La Liga, Vinicius played 29 games in 2020 and 35 games in 2021. He was established (but not as productive) before the 2022 season.
Only 2 CL. You take thing for granting. Many managers who spend time at top clubs winning 1 would be great stats.

Milan before Ancelotti was struggling. They're less top team than Lazio, Roma at the time. Ancelotti got them back into CL, and his 2 CL and 3 CL finals is his work. Not because Milan being Milan.

Here Conte couldn't make a CL semi final, and 2 consecutive year got knocked out in group stage with Inter Milan at the latest. Allegri made 2 CL final with Juventus succeeding Conte.

Ancelotti didn't say he's dead set on retiring next summer. If RM needs him for another, he's open to stay. There are Pochettino, Mancini, Luis Enrique to pick to succeed Ancelotti if RM crash and burn this season. RM dressing room needs a more softer man management than a task master which is Conte.

Please try to be better than provide some random amateur analysis of some random wannabe as fact. Valverde playing on right wing is proof in itself that it is not 4-3-3. A wide forward in 4-3-3 with attacking stats like Valverde is absolute failure. But in reality he's doing well because he's not wide forward.

RM has been playing 2 bank of 4 in mid block, and low block for years now.Ronaldo was playing as central forward with RM before moving to Juventus, too. Modric was given license to roam as play maker since that change in tactic from BBC time.

Believe me when I am saying I watch RM game enough to debate tactics fairly with any RM fans out there with their own fan

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Next season:
Courtois
When you write it out like this, as a direct comparison to Spurs, it really does highlight the lack of creativity coming from central midfield. You'd then be relying on the brilliance of Benzema even more who will be another year older. I'm surprised you'd be happy with that.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I can not see Conte in a team were the players are bigger and more important then the players and the board (Real Madrid for example). He is perfect for clubs like Tottenham were nobody expect you to win every year and were playing a entertainment football is necessary. Conte likes to build his team from the scratch and were defense is the key. In Real Madrid you expect to win everything every year while scoring 4-5 goals per match while Perez chooses which stars are good enough both on the pitch but also in the commercial side.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I can not see Conte in a team were the players are bigger and more important then the players and the board (Real Madrid for example). He is perfect for clubs like Tottenham were nobody expect you to win every year and were playing a entertainment football is necessary. Conte likes to build his team from the scratch and were defense is the key. In Real Madrid you expect to win everything every year while scoring 4-5 goals per match while Perez chooses which stars are good enough both on the pitch but also in the commercial side.
Yeah, that’s it, he will always choose the project with the biggest upside in order to maximise his chances to do well, extremely well. Once a squad/club/situation gets near its ceiling, he just fecks off. That’s why United was his best bet last year (biggest upside), and Spurs were also a good prospect (once he got to work with his friend Paratici). As for United fans still bashing him for his grinding attitude… come on, you are seeing first hand any manager first needs to get results, and then (maybe) play entertaining football, just in case.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Conte is a fantastic manager but is useless for Real Madrid.

The chances of him winning a CL is extremely slim.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Yeah, that’s it, he will always choose the project with the biggest upside in order to maximise his chances to do well, extremely well. Once a squad/club/situation gets near its ceiling, he just fecks off. That’s why United was his best bet last year (biggest upside), and Spurs were also a good prospect (once he got to work with his friend Paratici). As for United fans still bashing him for his grinding attitude… come on, you are seeing first hand any manager first needs to get results, and then (maybe) play entertaining football, just in case.
I agree, i would have loved to have Conte here but to be honest, we United fans would have been crying out loud if we saw signings like Perisic, Kulusevski etc etc. Many of us are more for the names (Veron, Di Maria, Falcao, Ronaldo) then getting players that are not that big stars but more functional when it comes to build a team.

Wish i could like your post but since I'm still a "newbie" I cant.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Guys, any reasons why Conte has underperformed to this extent in UCL?

You'd think he has all the ingredients to be a good Cup Manager....

It's not even about winning the whole thing but being relevant and competitive in the CL.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

It's not even about winning the whole thing but being relevant and competitive in the CL.
He works well with functional, chip-on-the-shoulder players willing to follow instructions in a disciplined manner, yet knock-out CL football is casual, end-to-end, high quality and creative game… something a control freak like him cannot bear at all.

ti vu

It's due to his managing style: don't talk, just do what I tell you. So he would pick players from that profile, which usually exclude flair, high maintenance players.

Conte can drill his very good player to play to 100% level and accumulate points in the league to become title challenger/champion. However, in cup games, top flair players in other team can get into zone. They both fulfill tactic to the same level of Conte team, and express Xfactor. In a sense those players would perform over 100% level, which no managers have tactical answer to. The only thing you can do is fight fire with fire, but Conte team would lack in that fire power.

Then you look at someone like Ancelotti who is one of the best modern day cup managers and see the contrast. He knows to keep high maintenance players in line through man management instead task master approach. Even seen letting his senior players have input on tactic.

Conte at Real Madrid or PSG with high maintenance players is recipe for disaster. It might be a turning point for Conte's career for the worse like Mourinho. Conte is more suitable as Simeone replacement if the latter ever leaves Atletico. It's hard to decline Real Madrid invitation though.

Last edited:

CarbonStoolBites

He wins leagues and at Madrid will have enough squad depth to do well in CL. Remember: prior to his Madrid stints, Carlo who has coached top teams longer only had 2 CLs.
Conte has only really coached top teams for 6 years. In his first 2 years at Juve the team was not CL worthy.
Forget it, this is Real Madrid mate, the biggest club in the world. Go get Jurgen Klopp. I don’t know how many more second place finished he can take at Liverpool, get your man.