Conte | Spurs Manager

redshaw

That could be 4th place gone to Spurs now. Would love it to go tits up but they still have decent players there in a lull, a top manager like Conte will drive them forward. Kane will start playing again.

It's a bold move from Levy to pay him that much but he wants to wrestle top 4 away, Conte is the man to do it.

This could be a real embarrassment for the board/owners egos and dithering if Spurs leapfrog United to the only CL spot realistically left.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hopefully since the January transfer window is not far that it's already starting to cause some pressure from next week.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Imagine we stick with Ole and Conte gets Spurs to take our top 4 spot! The meltdown will, and should, be epic.
This hasn't even happened yet, and has not manifested any reason to suggest it will happen, yet people are already melting down and going crazy :lol: :lol:

Nick7

Think people are going a bit overboard with your worrying about them pipping you to top 4. Conte will undoubtedly improve them dramatically in terms of confidence and playing style. But they still have players like Skipp, Lo Celso, a very limited player in Hoibjerg, and lazy ass N’Dombele in midfield. They are also quite weak at both fullback positions. They still have Eric Dier at CB.

This isn’t some incredible squad he’s taking over that are world class coach away from being contenders like we were when Tuchel came in.

Plus, Harry Kane has been embarrassingly poor this season. Will he be able to instantly flip a switch back to becoming world class overnight? Their entire rest of the season hinges on that happening.
That’s all correct, sure. Be he is a damn good manager and could get a bunch of them punching above their weight. I don’t think they’ll get top 4. But it makes a top 4 challenge for us harder, which is worrisome because a lot of our fans, including me, were thinking about a potential title challenge before the season began. Now, it’s potentially scrapping with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th place.

InfiniteBoredom

Are we just gonna ignore the fact that Conte finished 5th in his 2nd season at Chelsea before being sacked? Why is he suddenly this godly manager with a midas touch who will elevate this Spurs team who have finished 6th and 7th respectively the last two seasons, with no major summer reinforcement, to surefire candidate for top 4?

I get that most are pissed with our current managerial situation, I am too, but let's have a bit of perspective here.

This short term contract and the exorbitant wage scream a quick payday for Conte and his team. Even if he walks in the summer, he would then make a nice 7m for 6 months work, great deal.

marktan

Good. I don’t think he’s as good as people make him out, hope he fails at Spurs. They might challenge for top four but it’s a large jump between fighting for top 4 and challenging for the title with United.

Hope he sticks around for the summer too so he can have his annual geriatric dumpster dive Too.

matt23

We turn up at Spurs with our knock-off Conte formation and they have to go and get the real thing.

Ole's managerial prowess knows no bounds

Sviken

As poorly as you’ve played in many games, Spurs have been even worse. I think they’ve scored 9 goals total in 10 matches. Whilst playing football worse than the likes of Burnley.

Even a poor manager like Ole should be finishing above this Spurs team when you have CR7, Cavani, Sancho, etc.
You're honestly underestimating the effect a manager has on the squad. You of all people should know that best. We're definitely not favorites to finish over Spurs, especially when with a similar manager to Ole - they're only 2 points behind. Ronaldo might be great, but he is not a miracle worker, especially at his age.

gajender

I rate Conte very highly but it would still be a major embarrassment and shock if United finish below Tottenham even with Solskjaer at helm .

Infact I would be really surprised if United finish outside top 4 .

James Peril

Imagine we stick with Ole and Conte gets Spurs to take our top 4 spot! The meltdown will, and should, be epic.
Obviously this will not happen as Spurs are too shit and we are too good, mixed with the fact that we should have a new manager in place soon enough…. but it would be the ultimate message to both the board and the utterly inept manager who refuses to understand how much of a liability he is for all of us.

dove

Good. I don’t think he’s as good as people make him out, hope he fails at Spurs. They might challenge for top four but it’s a large jump between fighting for top 4 and challenging for the title with United.
:lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good appointment for Spurs. Surprised Conte is on board, since he seems to always clash in regards to transfers and getting the necessary backing. Spurs doesn't seem like the place to get that, and on paper, their squad is the weakest of the 'big 6' IMO.

el3mel

Are we just gonna ignore the fact that Conte finished 5th in his 2nd season at Chelsea before being sacked? Why is he suddenly this godly manager with a midas touch who will elevate this Spurs team who have finished 6th and 7th respectively the last two seasons, with no major summer reinforcement, to surefire candidate for top 4?

I get that most are pissed with our current managerial situation, I am too, but let's have a bit of perspective here.

This short term contract and the exorbitant wage scream a quick payday for Conte and his team. Even if he walks in the summer, he would then make a nice 7m for 6 months work, great deal.
Because you are focusing on one bad season among ton of great seasons with a lot of achievements. He went to Inter after this and had 2 great seasons with them, but no let's forget this and focus on one bad season in which he still, guess what, still won a trophy.

RuudTom83

Expecting the usual new manager bump, but then they will settle back into their usual high mid table form. The media will get carried away per usual, and then slag him off in 12 months for not being exciting enough.

Only interesting thing for me is seeing how Kane reacts, his issues are with Spurs and not the manager.

Highfather_24

Conte is a great manager and I would have welcomed him with open arms considereing the mess we are in, but would he have been some kind of dream appointment and saviour of this club? I doubt it.
We dont need a saviour/dream appointment. We need a top manager and a competent coach. Not bottlers like Ole/Rodgers.

ti vu

The toughest one was taking a midtable post calciopoli Juventus to a team that was good enough to be a serious CL. And while it was fair to question their CL record it's also fair to remember that they weren't a CL team when he took them.
It was his most impressive feat so far in his career, but it's a different opinion matter here. Juventus struggled then as a sleeping giant, but behind the scene, their structure was setting up nicely with all the right move in director, head hunt. I am not downplaying Conte here (after defending him myself). Also I always maintain that manager/head coach have the most part in team successes as football is played on the pitch. How quick he did, and how strong his influence was imprinted is already undeniably great feat.

However, IMO, Spurs is a mess structurally , and the bottling aura are bigger challenge to overcome especially when the short contract would mean the expectation is a quick fix. PL is just more competitive in term of money power. Attracting professional, ambitious players is tough enough; now with greed, it's tougher to get good value/not overpaying and get job done, when more than half of the league can throw money around and inflate the market even more. That's at the club with Levy which did make history by not making a first team signing during one summer window.

matsdf

Exactly this. He's obviously a good manager, but it's weird that his 2nd season where they finished 5th, and him getting sacked in the summer is overlooked.

SAFMUTD

As poorly as you’ve played in many games, Spurs have been even worse. I think they’ve scored 9 goals total in 10 matches. Whilst playing football worse than the likes of Burnley.

Even a poor manager like Ole should be finishing above this Spurs team when you have CR7, Cavani, Sancho, etc.
In theory yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs ends up kicking us from top 4. He'll even West Ham is playing really solid. That's the problem on depending only on players pulling the team out of the mud every single time, we'll inevitably go through times we're players aren't in form and we'll drop lots of points.

Flexdegea

This hasn't even happened yet, and has not manifested any reason to suggest it will happen, yet people are already melting down and going crazy :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

The absolute state of some of our fans at the moment.........everything is total shite, I don't even know how they could be annoyed with supporting us it seems hard hard work.

InfiniteBoredom

Because you are focusing on one bad season among ton of great seasons with a lot of achievements. He went to Inter after this and had 2 great seasons with them, but no let's forget this and focus on one bad season in which he still, guess what, still won a trophy.
It's not focusing on a bad season, it's pointing out that he is not infallible and still limited by transfers and the quality of the squad just like any other manager. Shit summer with Drinkwater and Bakayoko -> fifth, first season at Inter choking the league away after being in a good position, and 2nd season Juve fell apart by themselves and all he had to deal with was a Milan team whose talisman was geriatric Zlatan, plus bombing out of the CL twice and also choked an European final, all the while spending the most amount of money on transfers and wages. I certainly don't think he is as toxic or past his sell by date as Jose but the sudden elevation of his status is just fueled by our own desperation. Before the season started, the majority of this forum wouldn't have him on the same level as Klopp, Pep and Tuchel.

BorisManUtd

He should set his sights on winning Carabao Cup and Conference League, Tottenham are hungry for trophies more than anything. Strenghten during transfer windows and go for top 4 next season and even this season if possible. Conte coming motivates Kane again and that's huge for them as he looked 'dead' since his City move collapsed. All in all, Conte is great appointment for Spurs and should be a success, unlike Jose who was past his best when he went there.

Highfather_24

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take Rodgers any day over Ole.
Over Ole sure, but that's not saying much. But Brendan Rodgers would be a depressing appointment. Ex liverpool reject, serial bottler, football aint great either, and extremely unlikable.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Gonna end terribly. Conte who just wants to spend spend spend and Levy who seems to treat every transaction like war, it is going to end badly quickly!

FireballXL5

I hate Spurs and am miffed that they've got decent manager. I sincerely hope it all goes tits up. Hang on, it's Spurs, of course it will!

el3mel

It's not focusing on a bad season, it's pointing out that he is not infallible and still limited by transfers and the quality of the squad just like any other manager. Shit summer with Drinkwater and Bakayoko -> fifth, first season at Inter choking the league away after being in a good position, and 2nd season Juve fell apart by themselves and all he had to deal with was a Milan team whose talisman was geriatric Zlatan, plus bombing out of the CL twice and also choked an European final, all the while spending the most amount of money on transfers and wages. I certainly don't think he is as toxic or past his sell by date as Jose but the sudden elevation of his status is just fueled by our own desperation. Before the season started, the majority of this forum wouldn't have him on the same level as Klopp, Pep and Tuchel.
He won the league with Chelsea playing with Moses as a right wing back which is a crucial position in his 3-4-3 formation. He made Inter league contenders then champions for the first time since 2010 by signing mostly Man United deadwood.

There are a lot of evidence that he's able to extract a lot from average players and cover their weakness by his own tactical instructions. His teams are always mostly better than the sum of their parts.

Meanwhile our fans moan because we don't have a 100m world class midfielder despite having an elite team in all other positions.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It was his most impressive feat so far in his career, but it's a different opinion matter here. Juventus struggled then as a sleeping giant, but behind the scene, their structure was setting up nicely with all the right move in director, head hunt. I am not downplaying Conte here (after defending him myself). Also I always maintain that manager/head coach have the most part in team successes as football is played on the pitch. How quick he did, and how strong his influence was imprinted is already undeniably great feat.

However, IMO, Spurs is a mess structurally , and the bottling aura are bigger challenge to overcome especially when the short contract would mean the expectation is a quick fix. PL is just more competitive in term of money power. Attracting professional, ambitious players is tough enough; now with greed, it's tougher to get good value/not overpaying and get job done, when more than half of the league can throw money around and inflate the market even more.
Yes, you are… I am telling you this as an hardcore Juve fan. He literally built a palace from ruins, on his own. The club followed suit accordingly. Allegri then reaped the highest rewards by polishing the angles.

While it is true Conte’s international record is poor if compared with his fantastic domestic prowess, I am not sure “the majority of this forum” (same as all football forums) really knows what it is talking about. Conte just maximises the strength of his teams for the long run (leagues) in order to minimise the variance from single games (cups). He was perfectly suited to United’s current squad and circumstances, that’s why the surprise he is at Spurs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So, what will his first team look like?

Lloris, Davies, Dier, Romero, Reguilon, Emerson

Winks, Ndombele, Hojberg

Son, Kane

ti vu

Yes, you are… I am telling you this as an hardcore Juve fan. He literally built a palace from ruins, on his own. The club followed suit accordingly. Allegri then reaped the highest rewards by polishing the angles.

While it is true Conte’s international record is poor if compared with his fantastic domestic prowess, I am not sure “the majority of this forum” (same as all football forums) really knows what it is talking about. Conte just maximises the strength of his teams for the long run (leagues) in order to minimise the variance from single games (cups). He was perfectly suited to United’s current squad and circumstances, that’s why the surprise he is at Spurs.
Please give the detail of your take here.

Being hardcore Juve fan is not an solid argument, as since with your opinion on Ronaldo is not agreeable to other Juve fans.