Conte | Spurs Manager

Hawks2008

Clearly one of the top 5-10 coaches in the world would have been a bad fit. Thankfully we've got Carricky and Fletchy at the wheel!

OleksUsykUD

A coach that could make a 10th in the PL, straight up Champion, as well as build Juventus from scratches(he took them when they were relegated, and finish 7th in the Serie A), and made them a serial winners, and with Inter he won their first title since 2010 or so.

I don't know what job he will do at Tottenham, but i know that with our resources/money spend he would be perfectly happy and probably win a title in a year or two with us.

I'm still gutted how we managed to not miss him and stay with Ole, just to sack him in a month time. Some people call me negative, but how can i be positive with a board like this, and more important, a owners that obviously don't see the huge mistake our board is doing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It'd be absolutely hilarious if Spurs manage to nick top 4 from us due to Conte. Would sum the state of our club pretty well.
Conte is not a yes man and will 100% rock the boat if he sees things not going his way in player acquisition and sales. Maybe this is why United were not 100% convinced? Im not sure. Im surprised Spurs hired him tbh, thought they had what they wanted with a 'yes man' type in NES.

But say what you will about Conte, he gets results, that cannot be refuted. The guy is an elite level manager and if he is allowed to do a clear out at Spurs, and is backed on his targets, I wouldn't bet against Spurs making top four.

monosierra

Conte is not a yes man and will 100% rock the boat if he sees things not going his way in player acquisition and sales. Maybe this is why United were not 100% convinced? Im not sure. Im surprised Spurs hired him tbh, thought they had what they wanted with a 'yes man' type in NES.

But say what you will about Conte, he gets results, that cannot be refuted. The guy is an elite level manager and if he is allowed to do a clear out at Spurs, and is backed on his targets, I wouldn't bet against Spurs making top four.
Yeah, I think the board prizes a "team player" above all. They have hired managers that are arguably world class but who have not delivered the Premiership - the Mourinho experience must have scarred the board badly enough that they are willing to forego the benefits of hiring a truly world class winner like Conte to avoid risking confrontation down the line when he feels that he isn't sufficiently backed. A quiet professional would be perfect in their mind.

TheRedHearted

I dont see Man Utd getting in the top 4. The defense and midfield is shocking. Pogba out 12 weeks. Varane injured. Not happening. Tottenham have enough to get to the Jan window in a strong position. If Conte is backed he will find a midfielder and defender he can work with, doesnt need to be two worldies.
If they can pull off a miracle and convince a top coach like Ten Hag or Poch to leave their club midseason I think they’d be nailed on for top 4. If it’s Carrick the rest of the way then yeah, slim chance.
I don’t believe we will have an interim for long. We can make some big signings in the winter if need be and the new manager bounce as well, it’ll be tight. West ham are six points ahead of United at the moment, arsenal, Tottenham 2.
Way crazier things have happened.

GMoore23

They have clearly the 4th best manager. And United, Arsenal and Leicester are struggling. Their biggest rival may be West Ham, and they aren't that good.
He's easily a better manager than Tuchel.

Conte, Klopp and Guardiola are the 3 best managers on the planet and for me, Conte and Klopp are the top 2 as they don't need extraordinary squads to win.

abundance

Supports
Inter
The guy builds teams that win titles. It's clearly not a faulty approach.
oh well sure he's a result-grinder, no doubt about that
perfect league manager, for the tension he instills in every match
you're guaranteed to grind results against any lesser team

but in big matches, that's not that good
he's too anxious
he's scuola juve
hence not that good for live-or-die matches in europe too
.p

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Conte, Klopp and Guardiola are the 3 best managers on the planet and for me, Conte and Klopp are the top 2 as they don't need extraordinary squads to win.
Klopp was fighting for top four until he got handed the best GK, CB and CDM in the world at great expense.

Saul Goodman

Supports
Chelsea

If Conte was a better manager than Pep he wouldn't be at Spurs.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Klopp was fighting for top four until he got handed the best GK, CB and CDM in the world at great expense.
Alisson and Fabinho have never been the best in the world at their position. Not even close.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
A coach that could make a 10th in the PL, straight up Champion, as well as build Juventus from scratches(he took them when they were relegated, and finish 7th in the Serie A), and made them a serial winners, and with Inter he won their first title since 2010 or so.

I don't know what job he will do at Tottenham, but i know that with our resources/money spend he would be perfectly happy and probably win a title in a year or two with us.

I'm still gutted how we managed to not miss him and stay with Ole, just to sack him in a month time. Some people call me negative, but how can i be positive with a board like this, and more important, a owners that obviously don't see the huge mistake our board is doing.
I think too much is made of the fact that he took Chelsea from 10th to champion. The only reason they finished 10th was because of Mourinho's meltdown. The team itself wasn't 10th place bad, had won the title the season before and was bolstered further by the signing of a prime Kante. So while he did a great job, it wasn't some miracle. No doubt he is a great manager though

GMoore23

If Conte was a better manager than Pep he wouldn't be at Spurs.
He's at Spurs because he takes shit from nobody. Most top clubs are afraid of him and what he might say if they feck him around. Also his stint at Spurs will be short lived as Levy will undoubtedly break whatever transfer promises he's made to get him in the first place.

Dominos

I don’t believe we will have an interim for long. We can make some big signings in the winter if need be and the new manager bounce as well, it’ll be tight. West ham are six points ahead of United at the moment, arsenal, Tottenham 2.
Way crazier things have happened.
The big worry is United can't really afford to fall any further behind in the next couple of weeks, lose to Chelsea and drop points against Arsenal then we may be looking at trying to make up 10+ points on West Ham and 7+ on other teams.

It's retreivable, our run of fixtures after Arsenal are kind but you don't want to have to rely on winning 8 games in a row to get you back in the top 4 race, it's very easy to say "we'll beat the shite teams" but it's very easy to drop points in games you should win, particularly given we're in such a mess this season.

GMoore23

Klopp is the best manager in the world and has worked wonders at Liverpool. He has something like only the 14th highest net spend over the past 3 seasons with the board offering him lower than mid table money. £40m net is all he's been given over the last 3 seasons, pittance and yet he still has them at the top of the game.
He literally only has 4 good players for his 3 forward positions so can't even rotate whereas Pep has like 7.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think too much is made of the fact that he took Chelsea from 10th to champion. The only reason they finished 10th was because of Mourinho's meltdown. The team itself wasn't 10th place bad, had won the title the season before and was bolstered further by the signing of a prime Kante. So while he did a great job, it wasn't some miracle. No doubt he is a great manager though
He also made Luiz play the best football of his career and reinvented Victor Moses. He also lost 4-1 to Watford in his second season at Chelsea. Very hostile of a manager and hasn't done anything to shout about in Europe either. But I admire his passion and drive and coaching ability.

SAFMUTD

I still think he's a wrong appointment for Spurs, he's clearly a winner and won't settle for "top 4 trophies" he'll ask for support in the transfer market which knowing Levy will definitely end up in a disaster.

I cant see him past next season in Spurs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I still think he's a wrong appointment for Spurs, he's clearly a winner and won't settle for "top 4 trophies" he'll ask for support in the transfer market which knowing Levy will definitely end up in a disaster.

I guess that is why he took an 18 month contract. Way he probably sees it, if he can get the 4th and win any sort of cup he gets God level status with the fans and can turn the screws on the board to give him what he wants or he'll walk out and go elsewhere as that would be another very good success on his CV.

Tbh, I think he has played Levy at his own game, first by not signing in the Summer, then only taking an 18 month contract. I mean, it isn't as if a manager who really knows how to grind out results doesn't have a great chance of getting 4th against 2021/22 Utd, West Ham and Arsenal.

tomaldinho1

A bit goldfish memoried...VVD was highly rated but no one would have said he was the best CB in the world in 2017 (FourFourTwo did a vote the same year and it was Ramos, Alderweireld, Pique, Bonucci, Godin & Boateng), same for Alisson, even more so for Fabinho...these were seen a very good players but Klopp made them into what they are. Same for players like Mane, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah, even guys like Matip & Jota look elite quality now.

TheLiverBird

Regardless to what Levy is like

I can’t see Conte going there without assurances, he must have been assured he’ll be backed

Contes “aura” is mega

You don’t bring this guy in with no tools too entice.

It’s going to be interesting for sure because this is probably his biggest challenge yet, he’s won on every challenge, a few of those challenges possibly all in fact, were with Clubs in a much better state than Spurs, hence his biggest challenge, so I’m not entirely convinced Conte will Continue his silverware strike rate like at previous Clubs, but I genuinely wouldn’t put it past him achieving something.

We’ve all seen what confidence can do to a player, well that also translates to certain managers and Conte is one of those few managers that has the authority to demand a winner’s mentality, it’s surprising what that can do to a player especially when they get onboard.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
A bit goldfish memoried...VVD was highly rated but no one would have said he was the best CB in the world in 2017 (FourFourTwo did a vote the same year and it was Ramos, Alderweireld, Pique, Bonucci, Godin & Boateng), same for Alisson, even more so for Fabinho...these were seen a very good players but Klopp made them into what they are. Same for players like Mane, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah, even guys like Matip & Jota look elite quality now.
I don't think any one is better than pep in modern era. His league record is second to none. For all your Klopp praising if tuchel win this season s pl he will equal Klopp record in pretty much 1 and half season in his pl career.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

We went for him in the summer, Levy.... well he Levyed it, he's running out of time with the fans and we arent a big enough club to handle a massive back lash like United are. We will see in January but from our side Levy has had his wings trimmed by Lewis, I have no doubt Conte would happily walk if "gentleman's agreements" are reneged on, I think he will get backed.

tomaldinho1

I don't think any one is better than pep in modern era. His league record is second to none. For all your Klopp praising if tuchel win this season s pl he will equal Klopp record in pretty much 1 and half season in his pl career.
Not really the thread for this but I'd strongly disagree, Pep at City should have won a lot more than he has.

Conte's issue is he's been poor in the CL consistently with all his teams, if he can fix that, he goes right up there.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not really the thread for this but I'd strongly disagree, Pep at City should have won a lot more than he has.

Conte's issue is he's been poor in the CL consistently with all his teams, if he can fix that, he goes right up there.
I think the problem with Conte in the CL is that he gets his teams to grind wins. That is fine in domestic leagues as you don't lose many but in the CL it leaves you exposed to away goals (formerly), PK's or teams that change their strategy for a cup game and go out for it more (especially if they're the better team.)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

In most cases he comes out a winner, Chelsea would probably take him back if they sack Tuchel and PSG and even Madrid would probably consider him with their managerial carousel.

BlueHaze

Top class manager imo but he won't be anywhere near the league title with Spurs. Maybe he'll win a cup? 2 reasons make me dead certain he won't ever be near the legue title is for one Levy will not back him enough and 2 while Antonio is a very good manager he's not good enough to have spurs competing for the title with Klopp and Peppy here.

OleksUsykUD

Can you explain what was the problem with Mourinho at Chelsea that year? What meltdown exactly? Their team was just spend, and not good enough.
And let me remind you that they sacked Mou in December, and they had tons of matches to fix their season, and appointed Guss Hiddink, and they still finish 10th.
So Mourinho wasn't their problem.
And there is a saying in boxing that you are as good as your last match, in football this can be say for your last season.

Conte didn't have the best start, but he turned it around with his changes Alonso to the left wingback, as well as Moses to the right, and Azpilicueta to the center back, as he was originally RB and not played as CB before if i'm not wrong. Also he put John Terry on the bench. This was just a wow move. Should i even speak about David Luiz ?
Alonso and Kante was players he wanted badly. Unlike some of their worst signing like Batshuayi, Morata and Drinkwater.

And yeah they winning the title was exactly a miracle, cause no one was giving them a chance. After first 5 matches, he was leading the betting to be sacked after 2 hard defeat. But he knows what he is doing and change the formation to 3/4/3 and lead them to a great run.

Both Guardiola and Jose Mourinho to us, has lead start on him, as well as Klopp, yet Conte manage to beat them all.

Last edited:

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
In most cases he comes out a winner, Chelsea would probably take him back if they sack Tuchel and PSG and even Madrid would probably consider him with their managerial carousel.
I seriously doubt Chelsea will take him back. They parted ways in a very acrimonious manner which ended up in court (stemming from the Diego Costa saga). I think he fell out with most of the club's hierarchy and I don't think any of them would entertain a return.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
oh well sure he's a result-grinder, no doubt about that
perfect league manager, for the tension he instills in every match
you're guaranteed to grind results against any lesser team

but in big matches, that's not that good
he's too anxious
he's scuola juve
hence not that good for live-or-die matches in europe too
.p
Let’s assume hypothetically, veeery hypothetically, that you are not winning Serie A this year with Inzaghi. You may reach the QF stage in the CL, though, especially if you win the group. Would you call that a better outcome than winning Serie A after having crashed out from the CL at group stage? (Scuola Juve, you know. :wenger:)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can you explain what was the problem with Mourinho at Chelsea that year? What meltdown exactly? Their team was just spend, and not good enough.
And let me remind you that they sacked Mou in December, and they had tons of matches to fix their season, and appointed Guss Hiddink, and they still finish 10th.
So Mourinho wasn't their problem.
And there is a saying in boxing that you are as good as your last match, in football this can be say for your last season.

Conte didn't have the best start, but he turned it around with his changes Alonso to the left wingback, as well as Moses to the right, and Azpilicueta to the center back, as he was originally RB and not played as CB before if i'm not wrong. Also he put John Terry on the bench. This was just a wow move. Should i even speak about David Luiz ?
Alonso and Kante was players he wanted badly. Unlike some of their worst signing like Batshuayi, Morata and Drinkwater.

And yeah they winning the title was exactly a miracle, cause no one was giving them a chance. After first 5 matches, he was leading the betting to be sacked after 2 hard defeat. But he knows what he is doing and change the formation to 3/4/3 and lead them to a great run.

Both Guardiola and Jose Mourinho to us, has lead start on him, as well as Klopp, yet Conte manage to beat them all.
Our results under Hiddink were top four challenging results scaled for a full season.

The damage was already done, we needed runaway title form to recover top four and it was never going to happen.

OleksUsykUD

Your result under Hiddink was terrible. This ain't a top 4 result.

You had 27 matches under him, just 10 wins, 11 draw and 6 defeats. In this 27 matches, you have conceded 34 goals. That speaks for itself.
In the PL alone, just 7 wins, 11 draws and 3 defeats. And 21 matches are more than a half season, which he had all the time in the world to turn it around. So it wasn't Mourinho fault after all.

Just what i was saying Conte done miracle in his spell with Chelsea.

Just a quick question though. Who was the manager who won the league after Conte with Chelsea?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

You had 27 matches under him, just 10 wins, 11 draw and 6 defeats. In this 27 matches, you have conceded 34 goals. That speaks for itself.
In the PL alone, just 7 wins, 11 draws and 3 defeats. And 21 matches are more than a half season, which he had all the time in the world to turn it around. So it wasn't Mourinho fault after all.

Just a quick question though. Who was the manager who won the league after Conte with Chelsea?
The 2009 version was significantly better than 2016, which was pretty terrible all things considered. In 2009 he took charge of 22 games, winning 16 and losing once and he won the FA cup final. In 2016 we drew a lot of games, took us from 16th to 10th, meh.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Based on the table from when he took over to the end we were three points off 4th.

Not saying it's fantastic by any means but it's still well above what we were doing under Mou.

romufc

So was Pep in his first season.

Klopp got to the CL final without Allison and Fabinho though?

abundance

Supports
Inter
Let’s assume hypothetically, veeery hypothetically, that you are not winning Serie A this year with Inzaghi. You may reach the QF stage in the CL, though, especially if you win the group. Would you call that a better outcome than winning Serie A after having crashed out from the CL at group stage? (Scuola Juve, you know. :wenger:)
oh man,
che discorsi,
of course not =)

winning the league last year after a decade of dearth trumps everything
winning it again back to back for the seconda stella after all the stuff the club went through this summer would trump everything again

and no doubt that Conte is a legit serial winner

even for us, he came, made 2nd and 1st, mission accomplished, ciao to everybody.
just saying, meanwhile he managed to miss two CL KO stage qualifications in a row, and to bottle a EL final and two Coppa Italia semifinals.

not a big deal for us at that moment as we were starving for a Scudetto and we ended up being served what we craved, but the man needs to up his cup game nevertheless. I suppose you too weren't too happy when he threw away a possible EL final in your own stadium while pushing to reach 100pts in an already won league race.

In those moments where you have to be a winner by being confident rather than psyched and amped up, he's still lacking.