Conte | Spurs Manager

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That was a shocking team to put out. Why does Doherty start so often?
He doesn't start that much. That was only his fifth league match. Emerson starts ahead of him normally and he is an awful, awful player.

Players not good enough and need sold:

Winks
Lo Celso
N'Dombele
Davies
Emerson
Doherty
Tanganga
Dele

The fact that most of these are fairly regular starters for us despite not being good enough for the bench of any of our rivals speaks volumes. Our recruitment over the past few years has been so far behind most of the top 6 it's ridiculous. This plus the fact we don't have the resources of the other clubs equals the shit show of a squad we have now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I mean as well there is such competition to sign the best players. You have city, chelsea and now newcastle (although they are a few years behind) with carte blanche cheque books. Then you have ourselves and livepool dropping 80 million on some players. Then you have Bayern, Barca and Madrid. Then Psg.

maybe you could argue the opposite. Because spurs cannot compete with signing the top players, a coach like Conte is best suited to them, to get the best out of them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean as well there is such competition to sign the best players. You have city, chelsea and now newcastle (although they are a few years behind) with carte blanche cheque books. Then you have ourselves and livepool dropping 80 million on some players. Then you have Bayern, Barca and Madrid. Then Psg.

maybe you could argue the opposite. Because spurs cannot compete with signing the top players, a coach like Conte is best suited to them, to get the best out of them.
Yeah we simply don't have the resources of most of our rivals. It's only going to get worse with Newcastle and the like.

People give us grief but we are punching above our weight in terms of resources.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah we simply don't have the resources of most of our rivals. It's only going to get worse with Newcastle and the like.

People give us grief but we are punching above our weight in terms of resources.
Id agree and more so why I’d of let Kane move. The debt you have is also a worry.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Id agree and more so why I’d of let Kane move. The debt you have is also a worry.
In hindsight you are probably right however Kane basically ran the game Vs Leicester and is easily our best player so how do you replace that? It would be like totally giving up.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Id be trying to keep Kane at all costs. In this system you need a world class striker.

Id be building the team around him. Which is what Conte will do. Have work horses all over the place and feed the ball to Kane and Son.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He doesn't start that much. That was only his fifth league match. Emerson starts ahead of him normally and he is an awful, awful player.

Players not good enough and need sold:

Winks
Lo Celso
N'Dombele
Davies
Emerson
Doherty
Tanganga
Dele

The fact that most of these are fairly regular starters for us despite not being good enough for the bench of any of our rivals speaks volumes. Our recruitment over the past few years has been so far behind most of the top 6 it's ridiculous. This plus the fact we don't have the resources of the other clubs equals the shit show of a squad we have now.
Surprised Conte isn't sold on Reguillon as you'd think he'd be tailor made as LWB. Not good enough defensively in games like this?

While never reaching heights at Betis I do think Lo Celso should be starting as third midfielder but always feels like he's picking up a small injury so can never get much of a rhythm going.

Yeah the rest shouldn't be at Spurs next season but this is Levy after all. Ben Davies is solid squad player but limitations exposed when he has run of starts.

I'd add Dier to the list who to me is still living off his good form in the early Poch seasons.

From what I've seen Lucas Moura has been best player under Conte.

TheReligion

Abusive
Id be trying to keep Kane at all costs. In this system you need a world class striker.

Id be building the team around him. Which is what Conte will do. Have work horses all over the place and feed the ball to Kane and Son.
Let Kane go, keep Son.

That’s the way to go I feel.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surprised Conte isn't sold on Reguillon as you'd think he'd be tailor made as LWB. Not good enough defensively in games like this?

While never reaching heights at Betis I do think Lo Celso should be starting as third midfielder but always feels like he's picking up a small injury so can never get much of a rhythm going.

Yeah the rest shouldn't be at Spurs next season but this is Levy after all. Ben Davies is solid squad player but limitations exposed when he has run of starts.

I'd add Dier to the list who to me is still living off his good form in the early Poch seasons.
Dier has been very good for us this season to be fair and is becoming a very solid defender, also he is one of the leaders in the team. Appreciated by Spurs fans but dismissed as shite by rivals.

I think Reguilon is good but yeah maybe a little weak defensively however he is a talented player.

Lo Celso is a good player but he is totally wrong for this league. He is so ineffectual it's painful.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
When people say you can't polish a turd, this is where it applies. The Spurs team is full of shite.
So when it's going right he's a managerial genius, when it goes wrong spurs are turd?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Moving to Spurs was such a bizarre decision on his part.

Stgun

He is going to ruin his cv at Spurs just like Mourinho's ,the club itself has always been the problem possibly sacked / quit earlier than Mou. I think this is why you should compare a manager based on the club he took not just the manager ability itself

Conte took Chelsea and Inter ( look at inter today, does they look like they are missing conte ? )
Mourinho took United and Spurs

That's why people thought Mourinho is finished while Conte is in his prime ,when the reality it's the club Mourinho took that were finished

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How was spurs yesterday never mind the result?

Did they play like a team with some progress last night?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How was spurs yesterday never mind the result?

Did they play like a team with some progress last night?
We were awful - we had to play 4 wing backs because not only is our squad terrible, half of the squad are also carrying knocks.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We were awful - we had to play 4 wing backs because not only is our squad terrible, half of the squad are also carrying knocks.
Thanks. Which players have struggled under Conte this season so far? Has there been any surprise rise in performances of some players too?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks. Which players have struggled under Conte this season so far? Has there been any surprise rise in performances of some players too?
N'Domebele, Lo Celso, Dele all need to be sold as soon as possible and he is not playing any of them in case they get injured and we are stuck with them.

Dier has looked very solid at the back, Kane is getting back to his best again and Skipp really looks like a great prospect. I'd say as a team we are looking much more structured, more drilled and we have more belief than we had. It's early days and we have one of the worst squads in the league right now so Conte hasnt got a lot to work with but if he gets backed (who knows if he will) and sticks around a year or two (again, who knows) then we can definitely build and improve. He is doing a very good job getting this squad anywhere near top 4 which to be frank it has no right to be anywhere near.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sorry what does that prove? :lol: We have a ton of money to spend because we haven't spent much compared to other clubs if we had the money to spend? That is all well and good if you have £400 million to spend - you can probably drop a zero off that figure to get closer to what we actually have to spend (and even then that is likely much more than we will spend in January)

justsomebloke

Sorry what does that prove? :lol: We have a ton of money to spend because we haven't spent much compared to other clubs if we had the money to spend? That is all well and good if you have £400 million to spend - you can probably drop a zero off that figure to get closer to what we actually have to spend (and even then that is likely much more than we will spend in January)
You don't seem to understand how FFP works. FFP spending space is calculated on the basis of earnings. This means that relative to the money you earn, Spurs have spent less than their competitors. "What you actually have to spend" on the other hand is decided by your owners. It's not entirely straightforward of course, but at the very least, you can't end up with the highest FFP allowance in the PL without spending a good deal less money than you would have been financially able to.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You don't seem to understand how FFP works. FFP spending space is calculated on the basis of earnings. This means that relative to the money you earn, Spurs have spent less than their competitors. "What you actually have to spend" on the other hand is decided by your owners. It's not entirely straightforward of course, but at the very least, you can't end up with the highest FFP allowance in the PL without spending a good deal less money than you would have been financially able to.
That is because we have spent hundreds of millions on a new stadium. All the investment has gone into infrastructure rather than the team.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As far as I know FFP (at least UEFA's) gives you leeway when it comes to investment into infrastructure, so the money Spurs spent on their stadium probably doesn't (fully) count against FFP's calculation of what they are allowed to spend.
It's still a weird way to look at it, because who really cares how much spending FFP would technically allow them if they don't have that money in the bank? Levy doesn't strike me as someone, who will borrow a couple of hundred millions to buy players.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

From what I've seen Lucas Moura has been best player under Conte.
Think Reguilon had a knock yesterday, as did Royal and even Moura. All of them probably start in Conte's preferred starting 11 at the moment, though all have their own flaws.

A lot of chat and bluster over yesterday's result, from both Spurs fans and non. Seems a bit strange to me. The performance was crap but the reality is we've fallen far behind Chelsea in the past few years again and we also had quite a few players out/ with knocks. This is not the game that's going to decide top 4 for us, as painful as it is to lose to them so many times in one month (and so lamely each time too).

He's still done an excellent job so far and am looking forward to what he can continue to achieve. Hopefully he can knock some sense into Levy before he has his inevitable fight with him because I think Levy is probably losing some of his supporters as things stand.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
N'Domebele, Lo Celso, Dele all need to be sold as soon as possible and he is not playing any of them in case they get injured and we are stuck with them.

Dier has looked very solid at the back, Kane is getting back to his best again and Skipp really looks like a great prospect. I'd say as a team we are looking much more structured, more drilled and we have more belief than we had. It's early days and we have one of the worst squads in the league right now so Conte hasnt got a lot to work with but if he gets backed (who knows if he will) and sticks around a year or two (again, who knows) then we can definitely build and improve. He is doing a very good job getting this squad anywhere near top 4 which to be frank it has no right to be anywhere near.
What about Gil? I have barely seen anything of him at Spurs, but he seemed to be a very good talent in La Liga. He's been a super late sub in all 3 games against us this month.

justsomebloke

That is because we have spent hundreds of millions on a new stadium. All the investment has gone into infrastructure rather than the team.
Financial fair play: All you need to know about how it works - BBC Sport

Clubs need to balance football-related expenditure - transfers and wages - with television and ticket income, plus revenues raised by their commercial departments. Money spent on stadiums, training facilities, youth development or community projects is exempt.

Stadium and infrastructure investments are not part of FFP calculations. So, the FFP allowance reflects your spending room after that has been accounted for. If I understand this correctly. Come to think of it, maybe I don't - if stadiums etc are exempt from the cost side but does not require to be matched by income, then such investments in effect would eat into the net revenue. If so, you are right.

Last edited:

the_cliff

Where’s the “we missed out on Conte” crowd? I know he’s trying to polish a turd but some need to realise a manager isn’t the be all and end all of a clubs issues.
The Spurs squad is terrible, the fact that he's in the top 4 race at all shows he deserves credit.

I don't think anyone expected Spurs to beat Chelsea.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I recall two years ago warning you about Mourinho and you were in denial.

My honest unbiased opinion is that Spurs are heading for the same under Conte. If you had gotten potter or Hassenhuttle, then i would say things look good for you.
Conte is light years ahead of present day Mourinho unfortunately. I know their performances against us were pretty shit but even with us big games weren't his strongest point (he lost 4 out of 8 against a finished Wenger winning only one). It's why he wins a lot of leagues but rarely any cups.

Pintu

It's still a weird way to look at it, because who really cares how much spending FFP would technically allow them if they don't have that money in the bank? Levy doesn't strike me as someone, who will borrow a couple of hundred millions to buy players.
But it would be the smart thing to do. To invest money on the team. They need players to get back to the CL and with the CL comes both UEFA money and more notoriety, that helps attract sponsors.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What about Gil? I have barely seen anything of him at Spurs, but he seemed to be a very good talent in La Liga. He's been a super late sub in all 3 games against us this month.
I like Gil - he looks a talented kid to me. The problem is he is quite light weight right now and need to improve his strength to cope with the premier league - also he is a young kid coming from a different league and country so it takes time to adapt. I'd really like to see him get a decent loan somewhere for the rest of this season and then properly integrate him into the squad next season.