Conte | Spurs Manager

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Conte says one of his greatest accomplishments is getting top four with Spurs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/chlg/news/2362502/amp

When fans say getting getting top four isnt an amazing accomplishment with spurs

Congratulations to Conte, getting top four with Spurs isn't easy. He did a good job this season. After an incredibly poor start. But, he was favorite. Regardless, if he wants to emulate one of spurs best manager, he needs to do it at a consistent basis

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Guardiola only now have stayed for more than 3 season in a club, and he is staying here, cause he is getting everything he want + there is zero pressure on him.

Every top manager has personality and big ego, if you still don't get that, than i don't know what to tell you. As far as piss off players, this is some major b.c. Most of the players loves him. And the team he left are doing absolutely great. Even Alegri admitted that he was ridding on Conte Juventus wave.

What you think we needed, it's your opinion, let other have for themselves. I find the whole project for 10th time already a complete joke excuse, which will last until the next failed manager. I hope ETH is up to the task, but i'm still skeptical. I hope he prove me wrong.

As far as Conte is not the man to rebuild a team, is that a joke ? But what to expect from people who were screaming NO we don't want Conte, cause he is the same as Jose, which could not be so far out from reality. The same with the defensive excuses some poster have when there was a chance to appoint him at the club.

By i digress, let me back on the rebuild. Who exactly did that at Juventus ? He build that team from the scratch. Chelsea finished 10th, he made them Champion straight away. And lay the fundamentals of that team with Also, Kante, Rudiger and so on. Same with Inter, as he transform that team, that is still going strong.

I saw that you say his transfers aren't that good, which is another nonsenses. His transfers are ridiculous strong. He is always spot on. You can exclude Chelsea season 2, as he had a huge burst with their Lady Marina Granjovska or whatever her name is. He himself said the player they brought wasn't his choice, but the board.

Chelsea is a well known club for changing coaches, so i don't see how can anyone blame him for there. At Juventus there was a burst with Juventus president, but they wanted to sell his best players and the same time criticize him for the CL run. Inter wanted to sell half the squad + make Conte to lower his wage, who in his mind will do this, when he just become Champion with a team, that hasn't been Champion for the last 10 year?

At Tottenham obviously he is not there for the long run, but who knows. Conte is looking for himself obviously, which is a smart choice, he is having reputation that he care for.

At us he would have decent players + decent budget and there is no reason to go anywhere. And again he is a very smart man. He knows he won't have much choice for other big clubs if he was to leave us in a burst.
There's ego and then there's ego, when it comes to power struggles he makes Jose look like Ancelotti.

He had the Inter squad restructured almost completely to his desire and was still moaning a lot. They put themselves in financial difficulty to appease him and even that wasn't enough.

Fully motivated he's a great manager and for the immediate future I'm quite worried about what he can do with Spurs but Levy will have to do a total (and I mean total) 180 on his track record if he's to keep him even remotely satisfied for a long period of time.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta and Siena were 4 of them. He's a lot better than that. He left Juve to manage Italy, I'll leave it to your wisdom if you want to consider leaving Chelsea as a sign of not being a long term manager, Inter refused to back him in the market, I respect that more than becoming a mouthpiece for the board.
He shot his way out of Chelsea despite that being a great job with a lot of backing. At Inter, they needed to sell some players last summer but he still had more than enough to compete for the scudetto. Probably he would have won it had he stayed there. At Juventus, he stayed only four years, which isn't a short stint but isn't really a long term commitment either, before deciding he wanted to move on to something else. I just don't see how you can look at that track record and say that Conte is a long term manager. Klopp is a long term manager, he has had three jobs and stayed at each seven or more years. Simeone is a long term manager. Even Guardiola, who I don't think of as a long term manager, has stayed at every club at least three years.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
It will be interesting to see Conte next season with Spurs.

I think he's a great manager that takes the best of what he has, but tends to not excel in international competitions. Achieving a better spot than Top 4, making it to the CL QF and be able to win any of the League Cup/FA would be a huge success for Spurs standards IMO.

Telsim

Spurs will be devastating next season if they play they cards right. With Conte at the helm I wouldn't put it past them finishing 3rd ahead of Chelsea.

the_cliff

Nope… they will start to try and win the league.
People here think you're insane to think that but I wouldn't put it past Conte to have Spurs challenging next season. I think he's probably the most underrated manager here in the Caf.

Of course that's providing he's adequately backed in the transfer market.

BerryBerryShrew

If Conte gets control over the transfer funds then he'll blow £150m on a Lukaku, Victor Moses, Ashley Young triple swoop.

If Levy gets control over the transfer funds then none of it will go toward transfers but Spurs will expand the square footage of their already astounding cheese room.

Conte with a good chairman is dangerous but Levy is a disaster so nothing to worry about.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Conte gets control over the transfer funds then he'll blow £150m on a Lukaku, Victor Moses, Ashley Young triple swoop.

If Levy gets control over the transfer funds then none of it will go toward transfers but Spurs will expand the square footage of their already astounding cheese room.

Conte with a good chairman is dangerous but Levy is a disaster so nothing to worry about.
What a load of nonsense. So far our signings under Conte have been absolutely brilliant.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
People here think you're insane to think that but I wouldn't put it past Conte to have Spurs challenging next season. I think he's probably the most underrated manager here in the Caf.

I rate Conte very highly but the level set by City and Liverpool is just too high for them to realistically win the title, absent both clubs experiencing massive injury crises or something. Conte's Chelsea side of 16-17 would not beat this City team to the title, and that Chelsea squad wasn't playing in Europe, outperformed XG by more than an other PL team in the history of the XG era, and had a near perfect health record. This Spurs side has less talent, is very thin, will have to play in Europe, and is unlikely to have the same kind of injury luck. In particular, Spurs have been very fortunate with Kane and Son's health records over the last couple years, with each capable of playing 35-38 league games, and that is unlikely to continue as they get older.

But I do think Spurs will improve if Conte is backed and I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 3rd or even 2nd if one of the top two has a horror season.

romufc

I rate Conte very highly but the level set by City and Liverpool is just too high for them to realistically win the title, absent both clubs experiencing massive injury crises or something. Conte's Chelsea side of 16-17 would not beat this City team to the title, and that Chelsea squad wasn't playing in Europe, outperformed XG by more than an other PL team in the history of the XG era, and had a near perfect health record. This Spurs side has less talent, is very thin, will have to play in Europe, and is unlikely to have the same kind of injury luck. In particular, Spurs have been very fortunate with Kane and Son's health records over the last couple years, with each capable of playing 35-38 league games, and that is unlikely to continue as they get older.

But I do think Spurs will improve if Conte is backed and I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 3rd or even 2nd if one of the top two has a horror season.
Exactly. Conte will have to chose what he wants to win, the PL or progress in the CL. He has never shown that he is capable of handling more than one game a week.

They had to forfeit a game this season so they do not play European football. The Chelsea team was the same team week in week out, lets not forget that was a very very good Chelsea team before he took over as well.

Can Kane stay fit all season? a world cup year? My money is on no.

ShoePolish

Fair play - they have two world class attackers and a world class manager with CL football. Now is the time to try and invest.
Manager who's been everywhere else short term, and Kane and Son being 29 and 30 respectivelly by the start of next season. He'll have to go for experienced players rather than build a squad for seasons ahead.
Then again, what would be Spurs aim next season or two? Top 4 trophy, decent CL run? Maybe FA cup push, EFL cup, doubt he's making them contenders.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Manager who's been everywhere else short term, and Kane and Son being 29 and 30 respectivelly by the start of next season. He'll have to go for experienced players rather than build a squad for seasons ahead.
Then again, what would be Spurs aim next season or two? Top 4 trophy, decent CL run? Maybe FA cup push, EFL cup, doubt he's making them contenders.
Will they have another manager this good with players as good as those two any time soon? Go all in for it I say. Give him the experienced players he likes. City and Liverpool would have to drop off but that could happen.

ShoePolish

Will they have another manager this good with players as good as those two any time soon? Go all in for it I say. Give him the experienced players he likes. City and Liverpool would have to drop off but that could happen.
It's a very tough question, that's probably being thrown around Spurs' boardroom. I'd say give him what he wants too, but they need something back, mainly, a commitment past the 12 months he's got left.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That is encouraging - hopefully a lot of that will go into the transfer budget. Looks like Uncle Joe Lewis has finally decided to open up his enormous purse. About bloody time too.
Wow - this is big news. Once we also add in the extra cash that's coming from CL football, it looks like Spurs will have a bigger potential budget for players this summer than we've ever had before.

Conte will be delighted.

mu4c_20le

Martial, Maguire and Lingard would be shrewd signings to bolster that squad depth.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Makes me laugh how often you see similar comments on here about how Levy is a disaster or one of the worst chairmen in the league. And I say that as a spurs fan who leans towards the critical side for Levy.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Could be huge that for spurs. If they’re investing it in to the playing squad I fully expect conte to build a team that’ll close the gap between the top 2 and the rest. Interesting to see who he signs.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Could be huge that for spurs. If they’re investing it in to the playing squad I fully expect conte to build a team that’ll close the gap between the top 2 and the rest. Interesting to see who he signs.
Makes you wonder how much of a blow it was for Arsenal not making it this season. Feels like it'll be a lot harder next season if United get themselves sorted out and Chelsea are still decent. Newcastle might even have a go if they have a big summer.

Lee565

If spurs truly back him this summer then I can see conte leading spurs to be involved in the title race for a good part of the season

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If spurs truly back him this summer then I can see conte leading spurs to be involved in the title race for a good part of the season
Yes he can. He is relentless and made Moses a vital part of title winning side says it all. Benched Terry for most part of title winning team says his authority in dressing room. Conte can make spurs 85+ point team with two three quality additions. So that's easily title challenging total for most part of season. Any slip up from top 2 will give him initiative to be in mix for title race.

Xanther

With Conte they could reach heights they haven't reached before. It's a bit bizarre, they were really low for a while, so low that Pochettino got sacked and they resorted to Jose / Nuno for about 5 minutes. Then boom, they get Conte. Out of nowhere their fortunes change and now they're actually backing him.

It's becoming near impossible to predict who's gonna finish 3rd/4th next year, you can't speculate even a little really

marktan

Better hope Paratici is the one in charge of transfers and Conte doesn't get too stubbon as he usually does, his transfer record at both Inter and Chelsea was average at best.

At Inter he signed Hakimi and Lukaku yes for big money that worked, but he also signed loads of old players like Vidal and Sanchez, and middling ones like Darmian.

At Chelsea he spent £240m on Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson, Barkley, Giroud and Ampadu.

As United know too well, loads of money is only good if you have people who know how to spend it well.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yes he can. He is relentless and made Moses a vital part of title winning side says it all. Benched Terry for most part of title winning team says his authority in dressing room. Conte can make spurs 85+ point team with two three quality additions. So that's easily title challenging total for most part of season. Any slip up from top 2 will give him initiative to be in mix for title race.
I don't think so. That Chelsea team was far more talented than the current Spurs side, didn't play in Europe, outperformed XG by more than any other PL team in the era that XG has been tracked, and had a near perfect health record. It was a great team that fully deserved the title but also a perfect storm of circumstances. And even with all that, they would not have kept up with Pep's side of the following year or other recent years.

Pep and to a lesser degree Klopp have just cracked the code for consistent dominance in today's PL - match after match their sides create tons of chances while hardly giving opponents a sniff, and they do it by dominating possession and territory. Not only is the level just insanely high but its really unclear that Conte's reactive style of play is ever going to produce that same level of consistent domination. None of his sides have ever been that dominant, whether at Juve, Chelsea, or Inter. I say this as a big admirer of his track record, which is unimpeachable in terms of league titles. But he has never created a team the level of current City or Liverpool.

Spurs also need a lot of roster surgery to hope to compete at that level. Realistically, they need better starters at both wingback positions, LCB, CM and two better backup forwards as they can't rely on Kane/Son/Kulu to play every match especially next year which will be insane with fixture congestion and none of their current backup options like Lucas or Bergwijn are nearly good enough. That's like six really good players and they have to all be successful signings and settle quickly and its still probably not enough to beat Guardiola unless City have a big injury crisis.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic

Never underestimate the mammoth task of leading Spurs to glory. Mourinho, who I easily rate better than Conte, failed at Spurs. And unless they invest massively and wisely this summer, any injury to either of the ageing duo of Kane or Son will be a huge blow to their prospects for any success. There were seasons when I had them nailed on to fight for the title and even conquer Europe but only to flatter to deceive. My prediction is Spurs will still be Spurs again even with Conte.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who would possibly pay anything close to 35-40m for N'Dombele at this point? Spurs will be fortunate if they can find a team to loan him again that is willing to pay his full wages.

Lo Celso is an attacking midfielder who doesn't score or assist and at 26 is basically the finished article, not a young player you can project a lot of improvement onto. I don't think you're getting 25-30m for him. Emery seems to like him but Villarreal has never bought a player for more than 23m euro. I doubt they're eager to make an attacking midfielder who doesn't contribute in the final third their record signing.

Outside of England there are still very few clubs with real money to throw around in the transfer market these days.
Totally agree about Ndombele. We’re going to have to take a fat L on that one. You’re likely right too that the best option will likely be a loan that covers his wages which will likely come in the form of partial wages covered and a fee (which will likely cover the rest).

Totally disagree about Lo Celso though. I think he’s bang on in the range of 25mil and I think we’ll get it from a Spanish club most likely as he just seems to fit that league incredibly well. Villarreal will also have some money to spend as they’ll have funds from Pau Torres who will either be sold to United or can be used in essentially a swap for Lo Celso.

OleksUsykUD

There's ego and then there's ego, when it comes to power struggles he makes Jose look like Ancelotti.

He had the Inter squad restructured almost completely to his desire and was still moaning a lot. They put themselves in financial difficulty to appease him and even that wasn't enough.

Fully motivated he's a great manager and for the immediate future I'm quite worried about what he can do with Spurs but Levy will have to do a total (and I mean total) 180 on his track record if he's to keep him even remotely satisfied for a long period of time.
Yeah Guardiola would never go to work for teams like Juve at that time, then Chelsea who finished 10th, and then for Tottenham in that super hard period. You are right. He got to have the best squad by a country mile or he won't do it.

There wasn't a single moan from Conte in his Inter side. Even after he left them, he hasn't said 1 word about Inter. Also it's not Conte who goes to want the Inter job, they come to him, so they knew exactly what to expect.

Their struggle wasn't because of Conte, but supposedly because of COVID. But nice try to blame it on Conte, which obviously didn't work. But good for trying.

Inter sold 2 of their best players. He goes on to build a top squad and wanted to challenge for CL in the next year, but they wanted him to cut his salary pretty much by half and sold his best players, yeah i'm sure Guardiola and Klopp would have been happy with that, especially after he won them the title after 12 year of winning absolutely nothing.

On top of that, the players he brough to Inter and the player he develop was sold/worth way way more than before, and it's all for him.

Exactly. Conte will have to chose what he wants to win, the PL or progress in the CL. He has never shown that he is capable of handling more than one game a week.

They had to forfeit a game this season so they do not play European football. The Chelsea team was the same team week in week out, lets not forget that was a very very good Chelsea team before he took over as well.

Can Kane stay fit all season? a world cup year? My money is on no.
Can you explain us how good this Chelsea team really was ? You mean the same team that finished 10th last season and no one gave them a chance to even be back at top 4 ? You are talking about Chelsea team ?

He shot his way out of Chelsea despite that being a great job with a lot of backing. At Inter, they needed to sell some players last summer but he still had more than enough to compete for the scudetto. Probably he would have won it had he stayed there. At Juventus, he stayed only four years, which isn't a short stint but isn't really a long term commitment either, before deciding he wanted to move on to something else. I just don't see how you can look at that track record and say that Conte is a long term manager. Klopp is a long term manager, he has had three jobs and stayed at each seven or more years. Simeone is a long term manager. Even Guardiola, who I don't think of as a long term manager, has stayed at every club at least three years.
Did Inter won the title without him? Oh, yeah they failed. They need to sell some players you said ? They sold his best players, on top of that they are going to sell more this season as well. The only reason they didn't sold more was because he left, and they get room, because of his salary. But they will do it now.

They also wanted him to cut his salary, which was ridiculous. Who is that manager that was promised a big project and build, and a team that challenge for CL, that will be happy and stay with a team that decide to sell his best players and make him cut his salary almost in half, and all of that after he won them the title, after 12 years? Dare to explain this ?

Chelsea was never been a great job for managers, but actually a nightmare. Not just because Abramovic, but because of their board, and that they are buying players that fit the board narratives.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Totally agree about Ndombele. We’re going to have to take a fat L on that one. You’re likely right too that the best option will likely be a loan that covers his wages which will likely come in the form of partial wages covered and a fee (which will likely cover the rest).

Totally disagree about Lo Celso though. I think he’s bang on in the range of 25mil and I think we’ll get it from a Spanish club most likely as he just seems to fit that league incredibly well. Villarreal will also have some money to spend as they’ll have funds from Pau Torres who will either be sold to United or can be used in essentially a swap for Lo Celso.
Highest fee paid by Villarreal is for Danjuma, which is around 20-21 million. They have to break their record to sign Lo Celso.

Except 2-3 clubs in each league, most of them don't pay big money to sign players.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If that report is true, it's disgusting that Ronaldo "essentially blocked" a move for Conte - he was obviously the right choice for a caretaker/18 month tenure, and this isn't just hindsight, many people here knew it as well.

OleksUsykUD

Better hope Paratici is the one in charge of transfers and Conte doesn't get too stubbon as he usually does, his transfer record at both Inter and Chelsea was average at best.

At Inter he signed Hakimi and Lukaku yes for big money that worked, but he also signed loads of old players like Vidal and Sanchez, and middling ones like Darmian.

At Chelsea he spent £240m on Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson, Barkley, Giroud and Ampadu.

As United know too well, loads of money is only good if you have people who know how to spend it well.
Complete rubbish that i will prove wrong.

He is one of the best talent finder in the game.

Should i even mention his time in Juve and how much quality he get in there? Should i even mention that he also develop players that wasn't labeled as top talent back then ? He pretty much build a team that comes back from Serie B, and had 2 back to back 7 places to a dominant force straight away.

Nice try with Chelsea and his second season spell, when he said they didn't brough a single name he wanted, and all the transfers was done by the board, because they have a vision of which players they want in there.

He said he got zero word for the players Chelsea brough, and was all done by Marina Granovskaia.
He wanted Lukaku, they brough him Morata. He never wanted any of Emerson, Barkley, Bakayoko and Drinkwater.

Same story with Michy Batshuayi that was literally done transfer before he moved to them and he had zero wrods.

But i'm curious why you not speak about Alonso, who was one of their best player for quite some time ? Or maybe Kante?

At Inter Milan they brough Lukaku for 74m. and then sell it for 113m. Almost 40m. profit, not bad.

Hakimi 43m. sold for 66,5m.

Nicolo Barella was a great signing for not much money, which worth 2x+ more than for what they brought him.

Darmian on loan was great addition. Also getting Bastoni out of loan back and integrated him to the first squad, great move.

Guys like Sanchez, Moses, Ashley Young, Arturo Vidal, Godin has done a great job, excluding Sanchez, but they were all on free transfer.

Also he discover and develop the potential of Lautaro Martinez, and turn him into deadly scorer and made a great duo of him and Lukaku.

Also people saying he is not that dominant, h ? He got Chelsea second best season in their history with 93 points. Only Mourinho in his prime has one season with 94 points.

He keep the record for most points won in a season in Serie A with 102 pts in his 2013-2014 season with Juventus.

He also set a record when was on Chelsea on 13 or so consecutive wins. And also with Juventus have 13 consecutive wins in a single season.

Most wins in a single season with Juventus as well - 33. He also was unbeaten during a whole season with Juventus in 2011-2012.

Instead of people trying to twist the reality, they should give Conte his due, cause he is an outstanding manager, that can build team from scratches, and i'm still heavily pissed we didn't get him, when we got the opportunity.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Conte says one of his greatest accomplishments is getting top four with Spurs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/chlg/news/2362502/amp

When fans say getting getting top four isnt an amazing accomplishment with spurs

Congratulations to Conte, getting top four with Spurs isn't easy. He did a good job this season. After an incredibly poor start. But, he was favorite. Regardless, if he wants to emulate one of spurs best manager, he needs to do it at a consistent basis
Just thought now would be a good time to quote one of your old comments from February :lol: :lol:

It would be funny if he gets the sack before the end of the season. As stated before coaching spurs is different from coaching a top club. It is much harder than some think. Even with all their talents, they are bottling a top four place

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If that report is true, it's disgusting that Ronaldo "essentially blocked" a move for Conte - he was obviously the right choice for a caretaker/18 month tenure, and this isn't just hindsight, many people here knew it as well.
He wasn’t for you. You need a longer term strategy not another Mourinho pissing everyone off.

He was a massive coup for Spurs.