Conte | Spurs Manager

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@LilyWhiteSpur you've edited a post twice now and included an extra point every time. Do I need to refresh this thread every few minutes to see what else I need to respond to? I support Wimbledon and Chelsea but that has nothing to do with the discussion and doesn't undermine anything I've said here.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
@LilyWhiteSpur you've edited a post twice now and included an extra point every time. Do I need to refresh this thread every few minutes to see what else I need to respond to? I support Wimbledon and Chelsea but that has nothing to do with the discussion and doesn't undermine anything I've said here.
Man, talk to someone, we don't agree fairs fecks... no biggy.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
1. Neuer
2. Lloris
3. Oblak
4. Alisson
5. Mendy
6. Ederson
7. Keylor Navas

My list of top 7 goalkeepers in the world. Honorable mentions to Donnarumma, ter Stegen, Courtois, Handanovic, Schmeichel, Pickford, Kepa Arrizabalaga and Karius. Was a tough one leaving these lads out but at the end of the day, how many World Cups have they won eh?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Spurs v United - The loser gets Conte.

Shame. It looks like Spurs was the real winner.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
1. Neuer
2. Lloris
3. Oblak
4. Alisson
5. Mendy
6. Ederson
7. Keylor Navas

My list of top 7 goalkeepers in the world. Honorable mentions to Donnarumma, ter Stegen, Courtois, Handanovic, Schmeichel, Pickford, Kepa Arrizabalaga and Karius. Was a tough one leaving these lads out but at the end of the day, how many World Cups have they won eh?
De Gea?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
1. Neuer
2. Lloris
3. Oblak
4. Alisson
5. Mendy
6. Ederson
7. Keylor Navas

Are there 2 Kepas?

Karius?

You can't seriously place both above Lloris? :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lloris has never been one of the best keepers. Benefits from playing for a great France side. Even for them didn't he make a big feck up in the WC final?

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Conte will definitely make them worthy competitors in league. Only positive is he didn't take United job.United Seems perfect for him to give a go against pep klopp and tuchel.

It will take time for him at spurs at least he needed two windows to make them challenge.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
1. Neuer
2. Lloris
3. Oblak
4. Alisson
5. Mendy
6. Ederson
7. Keylor Navas

I am trying to work out this post, because the top 7 list is pretty legit and would be a valid enough opinion (apart from Lloris being that high).

In the honorable mentions, after the first three, are a list of goalkeepers that aren’t better than Lloris.

If someone told me that they thought he was a better goalkeeper than Navas or Donnarumma, I wouldn’t be completely shocked either.

I think this list might have backfired and possibly shown that he is closer to the top 7 or top 10 than initially thought?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I am trying to work out this post, because the top 7 list is pretty legit and would be a valid enough opinion (apart from Lloris being that high).

In the honorable mentions, after the first three, are a list of goalkeepers that aren’t better than Lloris.

If someone told me that they thought he was a better goalkeeper than Navas or Donnarumma, I wouldn’t be completely shocked either.

I think this list might have backfired and possibly shown that he is closer to the top 7 or top 10 than initially thought?
Yea, you didn't really get the post. A few of them might have been tongue in cheek to show how silly the original statement was. Of course he is better than Karius, just like he is of course not better than the ones before Handanovic.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yea, you didn't really get the post. A few of them might have been tongue in cheek to show how silly the original statement was. Of course he is better than Karius, just like he is of course not better than the ones before Handanovic.
That’s what I am saying though. The post mentions some keepers that are better and some that are debatable and some that clearly aren’t better.

It also includes a pretty legit list of top keepers.

I am suggesting that it was too close to a good list to make the idea of him being amongst the Top 10 that absurd.

Basically, the “joke” backed up the opposing argument and went against what you intended it to do, in my opinion.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
That’s what I am saying though. The post mentions some keepers that are better and some that are debatable and some that clearly aren’t better.

It also includes a pretty legit list of top keepers.

I am suggesting that it was too close to a good list to make the idea of him being amongst the Top 10 that absurd.

Basically, the “joke” backed up the opposing argument and went against what you intended it to do, in my opinion.
The "joke" would have been responding to the inevitable "How can you say he's not better than Karius, that is so stupid!!" with, "...well how can you say he's better x, x, x, x, x, x or x...that's an equally stupid statement and he's more comparable with someone like Schmeichel who obviously doesn't belong in the list or as a honorable mention". You've totally neglected that the original comment was that he is easily in the top 7, which is what the whole post was based on. If someone says a player is easily a top 7 player it doesn't normally mean they are seventh best, or it might if the 8th is a huge, huge downgrade.

But kudos for getting me to explain a bait. Cheers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Conte will definitely make them worthy competitors in league. Only positive is he didn't take United job.United Seems perfect for him to give a go against pep klopp and tuchel.

It will take time for him at spurs at least he needed two windows to make them challenge.
Conte is fantastic but Spurs are miles and miles away from the best teams and don't have the resources to compete.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm quite scared that Conte and Spurs work -

But ultimately Jose and United worked better than Jose and Spurs.

Sure Conte is on a different level to Jose Mourinho as a coach but I'm not sure that can be said with things like emotional stability.

Let's see.

NK86

Conte coaching, team winning. You don’t say. :wenger:
A new manager bounce is a massive thing. Let's see how this shapes up. In all probability next season Spurs should seriously challenge for top 4. If we are still stuck with Ole, our position will be the most in jeopardy. If we get a competent manager in, it could well be a 5 club race for the top positions.

OleksUsykUD

Conte style of play was quite clear in their first match, even he didn't have any time at all to work with them.
The team is using every single centimeter of the pitch, they are very compact, and playing wide till the touch line, ball is passing and his team is playing with few touches, and the attack build up is quite clear and smooth. There is a clear plan how their attacks should be going.

Conte team always play a very nice football for the eye, unlike what most of here have heard and comparing it to Mou outdated type of football.
Again in his first Chelsea season, they scored 85 goals, outscoring a highly attacking minded team like Pep City, Klopp Liverpool and Wegner Arsenal. And outscored United(us) Mou by 31 goals, speaks for itself.
81 scored goal in his first Inter season, and then 89 goals. Only highly attacking team like Atalanta scored 90, but received 47, compare this to 89/35 at Inter, and it's clear what i would prefer.

It's an absolutely disgrace that Tottenham get a world class manager, yet we are stuck with a below average one.
Saying all that i just don't see how can Conte transform this terrible Tottenham team. Let's be realistic here.

Kane doesn't want to be there and obviously lost form.
Son is their only top player, and that's it.
Lloris is average, who quite often can make a great safes and then to let super easy goals by his mistakes.
Emerson Royal is going to be the dark horse, and will be super important in Conte system. If he shows up good quality, that could help them turn their season.
Their defense and midfielder though is bang average, and i would even say terrible.

Just look at this stats, before Conte appointment:
Attack:
Shots total - 103 - PL rank = 20th
Direct speed(mps) - 1.23 = 19th
Goal scored - 9 = 19th

Defence:
Goal conceded - 16 = 16th in PL
Distance covered per game - 99km - 20th
Defeats by 3 or more goals - 3 = 20th

Yeah Conte is a world class manager, but he is not a magician. This numbers speaks for itself. Tottenham players obviously have dog..... pre-season, and this is one of the most important thing a manager could ask. Yeah may improve them, but they obviously are lacking a good pre-season, and he can't do anything in his power to cover this. If he start pushing them too hard, there will start fall with injuries, because of their crap physical condition.

I don't see them placing above us in the League. The players we have over them is way way better to cover the gap between the managers.
The best he could achieve is try to fight for top 4 next year, if they invest heavily. Media have said that Levy promised him 150m. without the money from eventual Kane sale. But i just don't see that happen. Maybe with low money he can build something, but he will need 2-4 years period, and he is on a 18 months contract. For that they need to spend big in the summer, and that is still a not guarantee, because they are so much behind compare to the rest of the team in top 4, and pretty much every team in the top 4 can and will most probably outspend them in the market.
And Tottenham was never a big destination, so good luck lurking top players. :D

To be fair this move to Tottenham is very strange by Conte.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
So he's up a running, very interesting.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It may have been because it was just the Conference League but he seemed more subdued than usual. He looked like a man high on cocaine in his first Chelsea game.

If he doesn't jump into the crowd during their first home game in the league, I'm going to assume he took the job under duress, being held at gunpoint.

JustAGuest

Crazy how underrated Lloris is on here. I assume it has to do with his occasional errors, but I think he more than makes up for it. Over the past few seasons I think he's second only to Alisson in the Premier League.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I really don’t think he is.
The defense being wank for a while masks how average he is
I think he was... but hes going to be 35 soon and probably is a season or two past when they should have replaced him

Speaking of replacements Isnt onana back from his ban in December and available on a bosman in the summer ... hes on £35K a week i believe so spurs could sign him on a pre contract and probaby loan him or buy the remainder of his contract out for less than a million.

There will be other options and its an area I think Conte will be able to improve pretty easily

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Conte is fantastic but Spurs are miles and miles away from the best teams and don't have the resources to compete.
Conte will improve players for sure. Spurs players are not hopeless either. They have very good forward line.Defense Conte can coach them into solid unit. Midfield is bit problematic for spurs. But three at the back and attacking wingbacks fill the hole in midfield will give them enough protection in my opinion.

Kane and son worked in tandem with moura/alli/bergwijn work hard enough then they can get solid first 11 to win most against bottom half teams. So they will be in there around top 4 at the end of the season in my opinion.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Buster, I always mean to ask - are United your second team after Bristol, or vice versa?
I first started to become a fan of Manchester United at the time of the Munich disaster. I remember as a kid seeing the news clips about it and as a result took a real interest in them and they have been the club I mainly support. I have managed to get to OT on many occasions, albeit less so recently.

I first started watching Bristol Rovers in the early 1969's. And you know what it is like. You can develop an emotional bond with that club. But I have not gone to watch them for many years. They are pretty bad and the Memorial Stadium is by far the worst in the league.

Manchester United are my team and always will be.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
I didn't think Conte would choose to manage Tottenham in midseason change.
I always placed my bet on him joining United but probably society back Solkjaer more than everybody thinks.
Still so weird to see him jump on a team like that. He always wanted to have summer time to work on players and tactic so going on Spurs like that? I don't see it doing that well.
Weird Weird for Conte but still I see them reaching 4th place nothing more. Even him can't make miracles

Stadjer

I didn't think Conte would choose to manage Tottenham in midseason change.
I always placed my bet on him joining United but probably society back Solkjaer more than everybody thinks.
Still so weird to see him jump on a team like that. He always wanted to have summer time to work on players and tactic so going on Spurs like that? I don't see it doing that well.
Weird Weird for Conte but still I see them reaching 4th place nothing more. Even him can't make miracles
Must have been bored at home or something...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Levy probably has a gentlemen's agreement with him to bring in a lot of new players.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I first started to become a fan of Manchester United at the time of the Munich disaster. I remember as a kid seeing the news clips about it and as a result took a real interest in them and they have been the club I mainly support. I have managed to get to OT on many occasions, albeit less so recently.

I first started watching Bristol Rovers in the early 1969's. And you know what it is like. You can develop an emotional bond with that club. But I have not gone to watch them for many years. They are pretty bad and the Memorial Stadium is by far the worst in the league.

Manchester United are my team and always will be.
Fair play mate, I kept meaning to ask!

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
1. Neuer
2. Lloris
3. Oblak
Surely this is a joke?

Here's a stat for you: in the last 5 seasons, only 1 goalkeeper in the PL has made more errors leading to goals (Pickford).

He has his moments, but he's nowhere near the top 3 GK's in the world :lol:

Highfather_24

I have a very bad feeling about the inevitable Ole vs Conte match. I fear the worst for that one.

mister_olumide

Supports
tottenham
Surely this is a joke?

Here's a stat for you: in the last 5 seasons, only 1 goalkeeper in the PL has made more errors leading to goals (Pickford).

He has his moments, but he's nowhere near the top 3 GK's in the world :lol:
I am a Tottenham fan and I wouldn’t even place him top three in England

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know about that. Over the last decade, he has managed Juventus, Italy, Chelsea and Inter. The only one who can remotely be called an underdog is Inter, and they were no more an underdog than we are at the moment. He started managing very young, and his earlier jobs were obviously just to learn the trade. He clearly didn't go to the likes of Arezzo and Bari with any notions of elevating them to astonishing heights any more than Rooney did when he took the Derby job. So in the "serious" part of his managerial career, Conte has managed exclusively top clubs and the national team of a country that has always been ranked amongst the best.
Uh. Juventus finished 7th the season before Conte. Had just gone through a complete managerial change, new president, new ceo, new gm, etc...because they hadn't come close to being competitive in 4 seasons post-calciopoli. They were a meme at that point in time

Italy? Take the job off the back of the 2014 disaster. One of the weakest italian squads ever, and then lost his 2 best players(Verratti and Marchisio) to injury right before the Euros

Chelsea ok, they were coming off a disastrous season but obviously that had more to do with Mourinho than anything else

Inter, for all the talk about how much they spent, had barely scraped top 4 under a really good manager in Spalletti, he came in and immediately took them up a level, and then another, dominating the league against a Cristiano-lead Juventus...

Even his formative stints at smaller clubs were massively successful, with atalanta the lone exception