Conte | Spurs Manager

romufc

He’s a manager and tactically astute, the biggest hurdle for him is the fact that Levy doesn’t have anything left for transfers after spending so much on an impressive stadium. The Spuds have got half a decent squad but like us, have some deadbeat players they need to replace.
This is becoming one of those myths that Arsenal fans used to say, "we dont spend money".

If you actually look at the facts, Spurs are not the big spenders like the other clubs, yet Conte joined them, so he clearly thought he could work under that model.

Levy has backed Conte more than any other coach, getting in Bentancur, Kulu, Perisic, Spence, Bissouma, Richarlison, Lenglet, Udogie.

That is 7 players in 2 windows.

kaku06

I saw a club statement news on Tottenham website and thought they sacked him, turned out they were talking about the supporter who attacked Ramsdale. Kinda killed my excitement.

Anyway he failed there and I see no point in keeping this going. The funny thing is I can see them hiring Poch again and I doubt he'll produce half the results he produced in his first stint.
What? You go and visit spurs club website? Why?

Mr. Robot

He’s such a depressing man to listen to, his entire demeanour is energy sapping.

Every man, woman and their dog can tell he doesn’t want to be at Spurs and is just using it as a stopgap. But Tottenham fans won’t question him as they think they’re lucky to have a manager like him, like it’s some kind of trophy in itself.

I wonder if @balaks is still convinced that he’s a good fit for Spurs? He was adamant that he’s the right man for the club a few months back.

This is why I always say that getting Top 4 doesn’t mean anything. It’s not an achievement. If there are deep rooted issues at a football club, qualifying for Champions League just papers over cracks. As Utd fans, we should know this better than anyone.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He’s such a depressing man to listen to, his entire demeanour is energy sapping.

Every man, woman and their dog can tell he doesn’t want to be at Spurs and is just using it as a stopgap. But Tottenham fans won’t question him as they think they’re lucky to have a manager like him, like it’s some kind of trophy in itself.

I wonder if @balaks is still convinced that he’s a good fit for Spurs? He was adamant that he’s the right man for the club a few months back.

This is why I always say that getting Top 4 doesn’t mean anything. It’s not an achievement. If there are deep rooted issues at a football club, qualifying for Champions League just papers over cracks. As Utd fans, we should know this better than anyone.
Yes I think he is the right man but he needs the club to back him 100% and that means spending a ton of cash to bring in new players. I think we need to replace around 6 first team players which is quite shocking but it's where we are right now after years of mis-management. Do I think he will get the backing? That's a different question. Probably not is the answer.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes I think he is the right man but he needs the club to back him 100% and that means spending a ton of cash to bring in new players. I think we need to replace around 6 first team players which is quite shocking but it's where we are right now after years of mis-management. Do I think he will get the backing? That's a different question. Probably not is the answer.
I don’t think you have a ton of money to spend though which is the issue.

Unless you let some players go like Kane etc

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Spurs have spent circa £230million in the last two summer windows, with no major outgoings of players.

To say the board haven't backed Conte is fundamentally wrong.

TheReligion

Abusive
Spurs have spent circa £230million in the last two summer windows, with no major outgoings of players.

I do agree with this.

It also highlights they don’t have the ability to simply spend like Chelsea to get him what he wants.

They have the highest level of debt in the PL currently due to the new stadium.

Champ

I do agree with this.

It also highlights they don’t have the ability to simply spend like Chelsea to get him what he wants.

They have the highest level of debt in the PL currently due to the new stadium.
Not many clubs have the ability to spend like Chelsea it seems :lol:

Spurs have never been massive spenders and won't ever break transfer records due to their financial position, but I think Conte has been backed heavily, certainly enough that he should be doing better than current form.

romufc

Its this myth that Arsenal fans used to say "our owners dont spend"

Levy has backed Conte more than any other manager. The manager is just rubbish. Look what Eddie Howe is doing.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Yes BUT we need a lot, lot more investment to get anywhere near where we want to be. I want us to invest 100-200 million quid EVERY WINDOW for the next 4 or 5. The club has been totally mis-managed for years and our squad is a reflection of that right now.

Champ

Yes BUT we need a lot, lot more investment to get anywhere near where we want to be. I want us to invest 100-200 million quid EVERY WINDOW for the next 4 or 5. The club has been totally mis-managed for years and our squad is a reflection of that right now.
For sure you need more, United need more, City actually need more, Arsenal need more.

No team is the complete article,every team needs more, but Arsenal have spent circa £40m more than you in the past four windows, yet sit 8 points top of the table.
Interesting to note that Spurs have spent over or close to £100million for the last 4 years.

It's not all down to mis management, it's also down to Conte's pragmatic approach, his inability to adapt and an over reliance on two outlets for your goals.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could do all that and you'd be demanding Dier still starts. ;)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
His Spurs future probably depends on whether they get the investment from Qatar or not. Can't see Levy willing to continue to back him to same degree without that and if they finish outside the top four.

I think end of season he'll have talks with Spurs and decide to walk. They'll then either bring Pochettino back or, wildcard option, go for Carrick.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dier? Jesus Christ no, he's one of the first out the door for me now.
One month he is awesome and how he is the best CB England have and the other month, he should be the first to go.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One month he is awesome and how he is the best CB England have and the other month, he should be the first to go.
No need to make stuff up now. I've been a fan of him in the past at times but he always has a mistake in him and needs to go. People are allowed to change their opinions you know! One of the benefits of having a brain.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No need to make stuff up now. I've been a fan of him in the past at times but he always has a mistake in him and needs to go. People are allowed to change their opinions you know! One of the benefits of having a brain.
Chill man, just highlighting how extreme opinions are.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Chill man, just highlighting how extreme opinions are.
I know what you mean, but I've been pretty consistent with my thoughts on Spurs for the last 6 months at least (now everybody goes through my posts and finds that one post that makes me look foolish)

Pintu

This is becoming one of those myths that Arsenal fans used to say, "we dont spend money".

If you actually look at the facts, Spurs are not the big spenders like the other clubs, yet Conte joined them, so he clearly thought he could work under that model.

Levy has backed Conte more than any other coach, getting in Bentancur, Kulu, Perisic, Spence, Bissouma, Richarlison, Lenglet, Udogie.

That is 7 players in 2 windows.
Udogie is still playing for Udinese... I don't know why he is being brought up to this discussion.

Conte wanted some specific players and did get some of them, but he also missed on important ones. Specially in defense and midfield. Most of the players they bought were second/third choice. Given that, his results are more than decent. 4th last year from an unlikely position. Winning his group in the CL this year and so far 5th and still in contention for another Top 4 finish...

romufc

Udogie is still playing for Udinese... I don't know why he is being brought up to this discussion.

Conte wanted some specific players and did get some of them, but he also missed on important ones. Specially in defense and midfield. Most of the players they bought were second/third choice. Given that, his results are more than decent. 4th last year from an unlikely position. Winning his group in the CL this year and so far 5th and still in contention for another Top 4 finish...
No manager gets 100% of the players they want. Even Pep Guardiola. Pep wanted Kane last summer, didn't get him, Pep wanted Maguire, didnt get him, Pep wanted Cucurella, didnt get him.

Which players did he miss out on?

That's fair, if you want to have a look at league position, rather than performances or what will happen going forward, thats fine.

Being 5th is not a massive achievement considering Conte got 4th and invested in the squad. The reason Conte was brought in was to win something, not to get 5th.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Conte managed to brainwash our fans the same way. I was genuinely arguing against people who justified 10-1 on aggregate to Bournemouth, Watford and Newcastle aswell as THAT approach at City because "the window".

That said he didn't get the best hand that summer so in terms of retaining the title I was happy to give him a pass on that but falling out of top 4 was all on him.

You can kind of understand with our fanbase of the back of an unexpected title win but what the hell has he got over Spurs fans to make them so defensive of him :lol:

romufc

Conte managed to brainwash our fans the same way. I was genuinely arguing against people who justified 10-1 on aggregate to Bournemouth, Watford and Newcastle aswell as THAT approach at City because "the window".

That said he didn't get the best hand that summer so in terms of retaining the title I was happy to give him a pass on that but falling out of top 4 was all on him.

You can kind of understand with our fanbase of the back of an unexpected title win but what the hell has he got over Spurs fans to make them so defensive of him :lol:
They know he was their last hope for a trophy any time soon.

I mean he won the league at Chelsea, which is why Chelsea fans think of him fondly. As soon as he feels let down, he stinks the place out.

Its funny Spurs cry about their owners but why? Who gave Spurs fans the notion of they need to compete with the top teams? Levy.

They built them a state of the art stadium, employed Poch who raised expectations then went and got 2 top class managers in Jose and Conte.

Conte has been backed more than any other Spurs manager but apparently, he needs to give more money to Conte.

Yet, no Spurs fan will look at Conte not signing a contract. Why would any owner in their right frame of mind, buy old players (Which is what Conte wants) in Jan when he won't commit his future beyond the summer?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's not about Conte, it's about Spurs fans feelings towards the board and Levy in particular. It's approaching tipping point where most Spurs fans want a total change at the top.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not about Conte, it's about Spurs fans feelings towards the board and Levy in particular. It's approaching tipping point where most Spurs fans want a total change at the top.
Can I ask what makes you believe you have lots of money to spend on transfers? You mentioned it before but didn’t explain when I mentioned your huge stadium debt.

I’m curious as if you do have such resources available and they are being held back I’d fully understand why the fans, and Conte, should be very annoyed with Levy etc

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Can I ask what makes you believe you have lots of money to spend on transfers? You mentioned it before but didn’t explain when I mentioned your huge stadium debt.

I’m curious as if you do have such resources available and they are being held back I’d fully understand why the fans, and Conte, should be very annoyed with Levy etc
We were told in the summer we had at least £150 million to spend yet didn't spend that amount. We are one of the richest clubs in Europe and the stadium is now bringing in a ton of cash for us. Yes we do have significant debt but we also have an owner who is a billionaire. The money is there if we really wanted to use it, the frustrating thing for us as fans is that for years we have underspent in comparison to rivals and most of the time when we did actually spend big it's been on the wrong players. Our recruitment in the past 10 years has had some successes but generally has been absolutely shocking. I've had enough and from what I can tell many, if not most of us feel the same way. We want Levy to go.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Just to clarify in case people do not aware of. Arsenal's recent transfer spent are all from debt. We don't have the money either. The club is betting heavily on CL qualification. The owner does not inject cash into the club. It is the debt the club needs to service and pay interest for it

TheReligion

Abusive
We were told in the summer we had at least £150 million to spend yet didn't spend that amount. We are one of the richest clubs in Europe and the stadium is now bringing in a ton of cash for us. Yes we do have significant debt but we also have an owner who is a billionaire. The money is there if we really wanted to use it, the frustrating thing for us as fans is that for years we have underspent in comparison to rivals and most of the time when we did actually spend big it's been on the wrong players. Our recruitment in the past 10 years has had some successes but generally has been absolutely shocking. I've had enough and from what I can tell many, if not most of us feel the same way. We want Levy to go.
understood. I do believe you are more in debt than United for instance though and make much less revenue. I don’t know your figures but it seems there’s perhaps money there but you will need to trim your squad. It looks very bloated.

Just to clarify in case people do not aware of. Arsenal's recent transfer spent are all from debt. We don't have the money either. The club is betting heavily on CL qualification. The owner does not inject cash into the club. It is the debt the club needs to service and pay interest for it
Thanks I didn’t know that. It seems a few clubs are relying heavily on CL football.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
understood. I do believe you are more in debt than United for instance though and make much less revenue. I don’t know your figures but it seems there’s perhaps money there but you will need to trim your squad. It looks very bloated.

Thanks I didn’t know that. It seems a few clubs are relying heavily on CL football.
In a normal business environment having a billionaire owner doesn't mean the club can spend lots of money. A billionaire being a billionaire means they are very good at managing business and money, not playing FM with cheat code, and give the club a blank cheque to sign players.

Edit
Seems like Chelsea is the exception since take over. What do i know.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Its this myth that Arsenal fans used to say "our owners dont spend"

Levy has backed Conte more than any other manager. The manager is just rubbish. Look what Eddie Howe is doing.
That wasn't a myth though. Up until the pandemic, the owners didn't spend any of their own money on Arsenal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah that's what I remember from a few months back. :lol:

I think this is the problem Spurs now have tbh.

In the summer it's not just about replacing mediocre starters like all their wingbacks who are all of middling quality. They also now need to replace Lloris, Dier and then you have a declining Son and also guys like Hojiberg who's decent but not on the same level as guys like Casemiro, Partey and before this season Fabiano. And that's before Kane's future becomes a big talking point.

They're going to need 3-4 transfer windows to get a really competitive side out again and that's if most of the signings are hits. I can see them missing out on top 6 this season and next year aswell.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah that's what I remember from a few months back. :lol:

I think this is the problem Spurs now have tbh.

In the summer it's not just about replacing mediocre starters like all their wingbacks who are all of middling quality. They also now need to replace Lloris, Dier and then you have a declining Son and also guys like Hojiberg who's decent but not on the same level as guys like Casemiro, Partey and before this season Fabiano. And that's before Kane's future becomes a big talking point.

They're going to need 3-4 transfer windows to get a really competitive side out again and that's if most of the signings are hits. I can see them missing out on top 6 this season and next year aswell.
I agree with most of this

romufc

That wasn't a myth though. Up until the pandemic, the owners didn't spend any of their own money on Arsenal.
Right okay, you still believe that.

They built a stadium, I guess you had ghost owners to build that?

16/17 - 113m spend
17/18 - 152m spend
18/19 - 80m spend
19/20 - 160m spend

Then pandemic. But okay, thats not them spending whilst no CL footy.

Looks like this is a myth that is based in North London because its filtered down to Spurs and Conte saying he isn't backed.

A manager gets backed but he also needs to show why he needs to be backed, Conte this season has shown why he shouldn't get backed when managers like Howe are getting more from his players.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like your opinions and tend to take notice of them. Outside looking in, seems a mess between Conte signing a new contract but wanting funds and the board taking the opposite view. He doesn't have the players to effectively play how he really wants but really does have the aura of a man hanging around but would leave if a certain Italian club came knocking. In all seriousness, how do you see things right now with Spurs?