Contracts Expiring in 2020

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm actually going to question that Gomes' contract expires next year. I've done some quick Googling and best I can tell when he signed his new deal in December 2017 the club never disclosed it's length. That contract was signed in December 2017 so for it to expire next year it would have only been a 3 and a half year contract? So while not completely impossible for a player of his age I would have expected something along the lines of a 5 year deal with an additional 1 year option

Only place I can see the reference to his contact expiring next summer is on the below

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/angel-gomes/profil/spieler/392770
Young players can only ever sign on for 3 years for their first pro contract as far as I'm aware.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Oh really? Who made up that silly rule?
The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years.Contracts of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national laws. Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised.
https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...2018-2925437.pdf?cloudid=c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g

Page 19, Article 18.2

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Oh really? Who made up that silly rule?
It's not silly, look at how Chelsea have bullied some of their youngsters into signing even when they haven't been playing etc. They should have the chance to move before they're 21 if it isn't working out for them for whatever reason. Clubs are still due compensation for players who go on a free as long as they've offered them a contract on improved terms to the last one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not silly, look at how Chelsea have bullied some of their youngsters into signing even when they haven't been playing etc. They should have the chance to move before they're 21 if it isn't working out for them for whatever reason. Clubs are still due compensation for players who go on a free as long as they've offered them a contract on improved terms to the last one.
It's silly when it's not to our benefit ;)

Luke1995

Darmian should get a new contract. He is a better defender than Shaw and Young. Anyone really trust those two to play well over an entire season ?

Son

Bailly signing for £30 million looked a steal 3 years ago but he’s become an incredibly poor player at times.

No point in renewing either. The extortionate wages we pay will never shift him.

In his first season he was quality so it’s just unlucky for both party’s.

Ranchero

Don't know about contracts, but i will be expiring if we don't get our fingers out in terms of investing in our playing squad in this transfer window.

roseguy64

Darmian, Fosu-Mensah & Grant to leave on frees
Matic, Young and Bailly to be given extensions (albeit I guess at 35 Young may decided as he's not young anymore and just retire)
Hope to feck De Gea and Gomes are sorted out ASAP!!!
We'll definitely use the extension option of TFM. He's basically out for this season and Solskjaer's not had a chance to work with him yet.

Web of Bissaka

Most Important/Highest Alert
1. Gomes

2. De Gea

3. TFM (+1 year option isn't worrying)
4. Bailly (for resale value mainly)

then uhh.. fullstop?

While still focusing on that first two, I think the club should also start negotiating about those expiring in 2021 mainly Pogba and Lindelof. Then again, most of 'em have +1 year option, so not too rush. Other than Gomes and De Gea, our contract situations isn't bad at all. If only we could stop pointless extending some of the players.. would be great.

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
Matic, young, mensah, bailly, darmian need to be let go.

IrishRedDevil

OP updated with De Gea’s new contract.

Angel Gomes is now the only remaining concern :nervous:

Matic, Young and Grant all likely to be released summer 2020.

Onerealunited

Use option on Bailly and Mensah. They both need some time after their injuries to be evaluated. Give them time to summer then we can decide whether to extend their contract or cash in on them

Grant, Young and Matic should be allowed to leave. I would love to use the option in Matic and then try to get some money from a sale but I am not sure how many clubs would pay us especially given his high wage

Last edited by a moderator:

Inter Yer Nan

Use option on Bailly and Mensah. They both need some time after their injuries to be evaluated. Give them time to summer then we can decide whether to extend their contract or cash in on them

Grant, Young and Matic should be allowed to leave. I would love to use the option in Matic and then try to get some money from a sale but I am not sure how many clubs would pay us especially given his high wage
Bailly's main quality is that he's always injured so he doesn't have to play much. If we can get someone stupid enough to buy him, then why not I guess.

0le

OP updated with De Gea’s new contract.

Angel Gomes is now the only remaining concern :nervous:

Matic, Young and Grant all likely to be released summer 2020.
The first post is very clear, thanks for updating.

So yes, the only manjor concern there is now Gomes. We've done well to get most of the contracts sorted out for our key players before Christmas. Young will likely be offered a one year contract with an option for a second year. Grant's future depends on what the club decides to do with Henderson.

Looking a few years ahead, we will either renew Pogba's contract otherwise we will look to sell him on. If Zidane leaves and Mourinho goes to Madrid, that will be a big boost for United.

Gandalf

I am not yet too worried about the situation with Gomes as he seems to be very positive about his future here and committed to the club. I know we started talking to him late last season and these deals can take time. I would think the main reason for the slow progress relates to his status in the squad. Under Mourinho he was likely to remain in the academy and then maybe in a year or two have a loan spell or two etc. and so the terms would reflect that status. Now he has been promoted to the senior squad and promised game time so he would understandably want to wait and see how things go as he could well perform in such a way that we would be willing to offer a much better deal by January than we would at this point in time.

IrishRedDevil

Manchester United have exercised the option to extend defender Eric Bailly’s contract by two years, committing him to the club until the end of the 2021/22 season.

cyril C

I think the Bailly extension is to protect our investment, if any decent offer come in summer, he will be gone. The same for Matic, perhaps a few millions. So I think we are reasonably safe on protection clause, but the real problem remains, where are the good players?