Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Sigma

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/bl...e-she-fears-houston-cop-who-then-attacks-her/

Newly released video disputes police claims about a black social worker’s violent arrest earlier this year while talking to a 911 dispatcher during a traffic stop in Houston.

A police officer pulled over Earledreka White in March for crossing the double white line, and she called 911 to ask for police backup because she was afraid of the officer who stopped her, reported the Houston Chronicle.

“I would like another officer to come out here,” she says to the dispatcher. “My heart is racing. I’m really afraid.”

The 28-year-old White was placed in handcuffs and charged with resisting arrest during the encounter, and then jailed for two days — where she feared she might end up dead like Sandra Bland, another black woman arrested in Texas following a routine traffic stop.

White said she remained calm throughout the encounter, and she has accused the officer of unnecessarily escalating the situation.

“Being pulled over is not the troubling part — what happened after being pulled over is what baffles me,” White told the newspaper. “As I tell the dispatcher that this man is threatening to ‘Tase’ me, he backs away, then comes back and literally tries to break my arm.”

The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County investigated the incident in April and determined the officer had done nothing wrong — but surveillance video released by White’s attorneys appear to back her account.

That video — which police viewed during their investigation — shows White talking on the phone to a dispatcher, who agrees to send another officer to the scene.

The officer, later identified as Gentian Luca, stands close to White, who is also standing outside her car, with the driver’s side door open.

White tells the dispatcher she felt “harassed” by the officer, who at that point grabs the woman and tries to pin her arms behind her back as she screams for him to stop.

“This man is twisting my arm,” she tells the dispatcher. “Please get your hands off of me. What is wrong with you? … Why are you doing this? I haven’t done anything.”

White told The Final Call that she tried to explain what had happened to other officers who arrived at the scene, but she said they discussed among themselves what charges on which to arrest her.

She was then charged with resisting arrest and search, a misdemeanor that carries a potential six-month sentence, and jailed for two days on $1,000 bond.

White filed a complaint with the MTA afterward, but police said they would not provide any information about whether the officer would be disciplined.

The president of the Houston NAACP said the officer was within his rights to ask White to get back into her car, but he said the officer escalated the situation by threatening to use his Taser to force her to comply.

“He got impatient,” said James Douglas, the NAACP president. “This is obviously a police officer who needs some training on how to de-escalate a situation, and I would think it would be especially important in today’s climate.”

White’s lawyer, who agreed to take the case pro bono after watching the video, said charges should be dropped against his client, who is worried that a conviction would wreck her professional licensing.

“I’m as pro-law-enforcement as they come, but that’s not good police conduct,” said attorney Zack Fertitta said. “You can’t escalate a situation and then claim someone is ‘resisting arrest.’ That’s ridiculous.”

Not a nice video to watch

Also they make good points:

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
While I´m sure she was a victim of typical predatory policing of the African American community, I thought he displayed a decent amount of patience. You can sit there and go on and on on your cel phone in that situation. Don´t know what went on beforehand, though.

Seems like he could´ve handled it less aggressively, but I´m not sure she would´ve cooperated. Shame things have come to this.

Sigma

Why does this warrant a separate thread? Or is it the norm to start a thread everytime this happens in US?
I'm not really sure on the policy on whether to make a thread or not. Most terrorism attocities get a new thread, I don't see why an example of a very big problem facing America shouldn't face the same treatment

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is it a cultural thing for American police to be routinely doing traffic stops? Surely they are better utilising their time elsewhere?

In the UK i haven't been stopped once and i drive a lot and have been doing so for 12 years now, just can't understand how many traffic incidents crop up there.

Nobby style

Is it a cultural thing for American police to be routinely doing traffic stops? Surely they are better utilising their time elsewhere?

In the UK i haven't been stopped once and i drive a lot and have been doing so for 12 years now, just can't understand how many traffic incidents crop up there.
Yeah, ridiculous, but it´s part of the job description, and a massive part of their fund raising.

Blodssvik

Well she broke the traffic code in this case. You can probably expect to be stopped if you are seen breaking the law. I've been routinely stopped a few times for sobriety tests. They are a good thing. Lack of funding means more drunk people on the roads today though. Have been years since last time I was stopped.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm not really sure on the policy on whether to make a thread or not. Most terrorism attocities get a new thread, I don't see why an example of a very big problem facing America shouldn't face the same treatment
I don't get how you can equate international terrorism with domestic police brutality.

Either way, we already had a mega thread or something for this, right?

Nobby style

Well she broke the traffic code in this case. You can probably expect to be stopped if you are seen breaking the law. I've been routinely stopped a few times for sobriety tests. They are a good thing. Lack of funding means more drunk people on the roads today though. Have been years since last time I was stopped.
But you have to understand, this type of policing has been historically predatory in the black community. Blacks are targeted, profiled, and they are a major source of income for police departments. The drug war functions in a similar way, but on a much more serious scale. In fact, it´s sort of become an industry.

And when you have police departments that are historically very white, conservative and right wing (with all that goes with that vintage American mix), I think you can gather how this has become a massive problem in the United States.

Last edited:

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Yeah, not sure who else is supposed to enforce the traffic laws. I suppose we could have separate traffic enforcement officers, but what is really the difference since they also would be able to respond to other crimes as well.

I guess we can debate the whole aspect that that fines go back towards the budget of the municipality. Or debate whether certain traffic infractions should warrant being pulled over.

Many larger cities have their own parking enforcement officers, who can only ticket illegally parked cars, they can not respond to anything else.

Sigma

I don't get how you can equate international terrorism with domestic police brutality.

Either way, we already had a mega thread or something for this, right?
This is, in a way, a form of terrorism.

When 1 person dies from terrorism a thread is created. Many people have died from the results of the police in such cases

Blodssvik

Yeah I know systematic harrassment of some groups is a problem. Doesn't mean we should lose our judgement and throw all incidents in the same pile. Structural racism becomes evident when you look at the whole picture with statistics. But to look at statistics and apply it as evidence of racism to single cases is methodologically wrong. All groups of society have bad encounters with the police in varying degrees.

mu77

i'd do the same as she did. wait for another cop. i'd call and ask for a female in her instance.

Why does this warrant a separate thread? Or is it the norm to start a thread everytime this happens in US?
because cafetards love doing the "cops in america" "racism in America" , imagine the thread header "another muslim kills". you'd get banned and called a racist.

congress tart.

But you have to understand, this type of policing has been historically predatory in the black community. Blacks are targeted, profiled, and they are a major source of income for police departments. The drug war functions in a similar way, but on a much more serious scale.

And when you have police departments that are historically very white, conservative and right wing (with all that goes with that mix), I think you can gather how this has become a massive problem in the United States.

it happens in white communities as well , we (3 of us) got done by about 10 cops and even some off duty twats looking for some action. conversely we were let go by two cops who caught us smoking weed once. they were older and said "come back when we're gone"

Nobby style

Yeah I know systematic harrassment of some groups is a problem. Doesn't mean we should lose our judgement and throw all incidents in the same pile. Structural racism becomes evident when you look at the whole picture with statistics. But to look at statistics and apply it as evidence of racism to single cases is methodologically wrong. All groups of society have bad encounters with the police in varying degrees.
Hence, a massive conflict in the US.

But if we got rid of the government sponsored systematic harassment . . .

worldinmotion66

This kind of hideous systematic racism makes me feel relieved to live in the UK, it's an absolute disgrace. How can she be charged with resisting arrest without an arresting offence in the first place? How do they manage to fudge the report to allow this to happen?

Nobby style

i'd do the same as she did. wait for another cop. i'd call and ask for a female in her instance.

because cafetards love doing the "cops in america" "racism in America" , imagine the thread header "another muslim kills". you'd get banned and called a racist.

congress tart.

it happens in white communities as well , we (3 of us) got done by about 10 cops and even some off duty twats looking for some action. conversely we were let go by two cops who caught us smoking weed once. they were older and said "come back when we're gone"
I think people here don´t necessarily "love" those topics, rather, if you live outside the US, the outrageous systemic racism and the predatory, aggressive policing is really eye opening and disturbing. The whole "military worship" as well.

And yes, what is congress tart? Do you even know what you´re talking about?

mu77

I think people here don´t necessarily "love" those topics, rather, if you live outside the US, the outrageous systemic racism and the predatory, aggressive policing is really eye opening and disturbing. The whole "military worship" as well.

And yes, what is congress tart? Do you even know what you´re talking about?

well they like to get their digs in , just look at these boards. cops doing what they do best. now switch that out to muslims doing what they do best and the mods ban your ass , you'd be called a racist and a fascist. and where are the threads on racism kicking off around the world. hey just have a look at Rio where cops just go in a clean out entire neighborhoods. so if you live outside the US why is no one talking about global racism? It must not be happening.

again it's a massive problem in the states and the lack of training the thin blue line just turns them into thugs.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@mu77 if you don't explain that Congress Tart nonsense I'm going to assume it's an insult and issue an infraction.

Nobby style

@mu77

Yeah, I´d agree "cops doing what they do best" is a shite title. Should be changed.

Maybe if there was´t so much of this USA #1, American exceptionalism everywhere, and America´s full military invasion of Muslim countries, and constant, historical meddling in foreign lands and governments, modern leaders like Trump, et al, then people outside the US wouldn´t be so sick of their hypocrisy and militancy and disgusting presidential candidates and constantly ready to take them to task for it.

Please stop looking at America as some sort of victim. They are anything but, except maybe victims of themselves.

mu77

@mu77

Yeah, I´d agree "cops doing what they do best" is a shite title. Should be changed.

Maybe if there was´t so much of this USA #1, American exceptionalism everywhere, and America´s full military invasion of Muslim countries, and constant, historical meddling in foreign lands and governments, modern leaders like Trump, et al, then people outside the US wouldn´t be so sick of their hypocrisy and militancy and disgusting presidential candidates and constantly ready to take them to task for it.

Please stop looking at America as some sort of victim. They are anything but, except maybe victims of themselves.
:lol: - i'll remember this the next time something happens and post it the same way about the shite dictators in shite hole countries doing all sorts and wait to get banned. because the US is the only place like this. you must live some place perfect. may i ask where?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Do we know that he would have acted differently towards a white person?
So the fact that we aren't sure, given the stats that prove a bias against black people, is a problem. Your specific question is irrelevant.

That being said, this incident is a bit much ado about nothing. Hopefully the charges are dismissed, and everyone is happy that no one got shot.

Sigma

So the fact that we aren't sure, given the stats that prove a bias against black people, is a problem. Your specific question is irrelevant.

That being said, this incident is a bit much ado about nothing. Hopefully the charges are dismissed, and everyone is happy that no one got shot.
She should press charges for assault. I don't see how this is 'much ado about nothing'

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
She should press charges for assault. I don't see how this is 'much ado about nothing'
And she should also be charged with resisting arrest too.

ivaldo

Resting arrest for what?
I don't know, we haven't got the full video have we? But by the video it appears she refused to had over her driving licence.

Sigma

I don't know, we haven't got the full video have we? But by the video it appears she refused to had over her driving licence.
Her only crime was crossing a double white line. You don't get fecking arrested for that. You get a ticket (and thats if you get pulled over).

the hea

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I don't see how this can be called racism. Bad police work maybe, but nothing in those videos suggest he did what he did because she was of a different skin colour.

ivaldo

Her only crime was crossing a double white line. You don't get fecking arrested for that. You get a ticket (and thats if you get a ticket).
You do for refusing to comply though don't you? And we don't know what's happened prior to the start of the video either unless I'm mistaken.

Bamboozler

There are bad workers in every single profession in the world, however, for some in here it would behoove you to keep up with the latest analytics as opposed to what is simply published in the local rag as being the gospel:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...e-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

full paper is here:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/main-july_2016.pdf

Interesting look at the various permutations that 'we' face on a daily basis... while there is definitely some work to be done, simply crying foul at every single incidence and then extrapolating that to be the 'standard' of actions and behavior for an entire workforce / profession is simply naive and only serves to validate intrinsic values and personal agenda's.

Sigma

You do for refusing to comply though don't you? And we don't know what's happened prior to the start of the video either unless I'm mistaken.
Even if she was refusing to comply, it doesn't warrant assault

ivaldo

There are bad workers in every single profession in the world, however, for some in here it would behoove you to keep up with the latest analytics as opposed to what is simply published in the local rag as being the gospel:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...e-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

full paper is here:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/main-july_2016.pdf

Interesting look at the various permutations that 'we' face on a daily basis... while there is definitely some work to be done, simply crying foul at every single incidence and then extrapolating that to be the 'standard' of actions and behavior for an entire workforce / profession is simply naive and only serves to validate intrinsic values and personal agenda's.
Interesting article that, how much exposure did it get in the media?

Bamboozler

Interesting article that, how much exposure did it get in the media?
It got a little exposure, however, it was immediately 'smeared' by leading #blacklivesmatter protagonists simply because it presented a picture that was extremely different to the popular rhetoric that is being pushed in the media. No report, however legitimate it may seem, is perfect. However, this was a good basic look at the real world statistics that brings up some very interesting questions.

But as some posts above highlight, the information just isn't 'questioned' nor critiqued, too many people simply believe whatever is given to them via CNN, Fox, MSN etc... The ability to look at all the relevant information and then coming to a conclusion has all but been lost, instead we have people praying on the insecurities and fears of the common people by provoking their emotions which ultimately becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and as such (in their eyes) validates their cause in the first place! lol....

There is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed, however, it is much much more complex than the color of ones skin. Accountability is needed all around, and that includes in the very communities that feel they are targeted.

Bamboozler

so where's the part about the officer being racist?
Well you see therein lies the problem...... the common denominator for a particular situation to be 'racist' or not in the current climate is the differentiation between the officers skin tone and that of the perp. There is no way to ascertain if this was 'racist' intent, however, given today's outlook on such things it is automatically 'racist' as the officer is of a different race........ We all know that this is 100% subjective on the viewers part and thus has no bearing on the situation. This is bad policing... end of, anything 'racial' is pure conjecture.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
This kind of hideous systematic racism makes me feel relieved to live in the UK, it's an absolute disgrace. How can she be charged with resisting arrest without an arresting offence in the first place? How do they manage to fudge the report to allow this to happen?
"Resisting arrest" is the catch-all term people use, but is not the actual name of the crime which is what causes confusion. Don't know what their Penal Codes are in Texas, but in CA, 148PC is "every person who willfully resists, delays, or obstructs any public officer, peace officer, or emergency medical technician in the discharge of his or her duties" is guilty of a misdemeanor. So yes, even though police can stop/detain a person for an infraction (speeding, jaywalking, broken tail-light), it can result in a misdemeanor "obstruction/delaying of justice" if the detained person refuses to ID themselves, give false names or DOB's, walk away etc. 69PC is the next level higher, when a person willfully or physically resists an officer, i.e. fighting, threatening an officer in the performance of duties, and is a Felony. The originating offense need not be an arrestable one