Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Unfortunately right. To many, myself included & probably you as well, we are in a critical mass moment with violent policing in this country. But the reality is we are here through issues on both sides (to me, the institution is more to blame, but the citizenry / gun culture also have culpability).

It’s going to take a critical mass event(s) orders of magnitude larger to occur to begin to go down the road to solution. Until then, there will be more entrenchment that will be negative to both sides.
It's impossible to solve. A Constitutional Amendment will never happen, citizens will never give up their weapons, cops will never go out unarmed. If anything, gun laws are being loosened.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
it takes big balls to do the 22nd most dangerous job, one that is less than half as deadly as garbage collector where you get to drive around all day bullying and harassing citizens, having people be constantly deferential to you, and knowing that no matter how badly you screw up there are zero legal consequences for you, while making a generous salary with a pension and benefits.

check out the balls on these lads.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Has there really? I think it was more about how tragic it was he found himself in this high-stakes situation and that perhaps he was caught up in the gang life.

Some went on to blame Toledo (and were rightly called out on it) but I perceived the bigger discussion to have been about how problematic these older guys are who exploit and recruit these young kids into the gang culture, hence a 13-year old kid finding himself in a situation he shouldn't have been in.
Not into the granular level, but more posts were made on the topic in this thread than in the Civil War thread, mostly due to the revelation that the idiot in the Capitol was in her mid 30s.

It’s a deserving topic to consider / discuss, but one fraught with emotional hot button issues when you get past the gang aspect. Can’t see it being ultimately productive in here without emotions getting in the way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Grinner has spent the last however many pages spinning this incident into a cop whose life was under threat.

Let’s just take a moment to reiterate that the kid was unarmed.

He was unarmed, the cop told him to put his hands up. He put his (empty) hands up and was INSTANTLY shot and killed.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's impossible to solve. A Constitutional Amendment will never happen, citizens will never give up their weapons, cops will never go out unarmed. If anything, gun laws are being loosened.
The zero sum / slippery slope erroneous fantasy world is to blame. There can be common sense gun control laws enacted, but the other side goes immediately to ‘your guns will be taken away,’ then champions the ‘bad guys will have guns, we need more to counteract them / we need to be able to pew pew pew them when they attack’ fantasy. The institution of policing stays more militarized in mindset & materials as a result.

It’s just defatigating overall.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Any person can be radicalized at any age. Doesn't matter if Babbitt was 16 or 35, she got what she asked for by attempting a coup of the US government. Feck her and every single one of those "patriot" clowns. Damn shame more did not die for their actions at the Capitol. Maybe, just maybe a dozen or few dozen clowns had been mowed down at the Capitol the rest of these clowns would think twice about their stupid lives.

We have no problems killing those we label enemies, innocents, and "collateral damage" outside our borders but dare not kill domestic terrorists.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Saw that earlier today. Apparently its a few years old and that cop has been sued for tackling/beating up someone who was filming another traffic stop. The same lawsuit alleges he was part of a police gang.
edit: here it is Suit claims Vallejo cop was part of 'vigilante police gang' (mercurynews.com)
What is a ‘police gang?’

e - see it now. Vallejo is an absolute shithole. Only thing good about Vallejo is when you are through it - you’re either in wine country or the Bay Area proper.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Vallejo is a rough place. It's interesting given how expensive other communities are in that area due to proximity to the Bay Area. There are some no-go areas similar to Oakland or Richmond.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Vallejo is a rough place. It's interesting given how expensive other communities are in that area due to proximity to the Bay Area. There are some no-go areas similar to Oakland or Richmond.
Had an office in Richmond for a couple of years, worked for a huge wine & spirits distributor, warehouse was right next to the country club. We had 24 hour armed security with a gated entrance. Never saw such before or since.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Had an office in Richmond for a couple of years, worked for a huge wine & spirits distributor, warehouse was right next to the country club. We had 24 hour armed security with a gated entrance. Never saw such before or since.

It hasn't improved. I caught a train there last year and felt like I was in an old Wild West town. Eventually the entire East Bay will become gentrified so look for bargains in Richmond.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It hasn't improved. I caught a train there last year and felt like I was in an old Wild West town. Eventually the entire East Bay will become gentrified so look for bargains in Richmond.
This was in 1998 / 1999, I can only imagine how further entrenched everything is now.

Lived on Potrero Hill in SF, it was like getting across the DMZ when we would leave Richmond & get back to the city.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Point Richmond was the start of that process, or maybe it was a throwback to a previous time. I still think parts of Richmond are too dodgy to take a risk on but you can definitely see the changes that have taken place in the last 10 years.

Skizzo

Had a fun little pursuit that went all the way to Oakland. Bunch of kids that were breaking into cars. Went to a few protests there too, always a swell place.

Got pulled over when I was off duty by a Vallejo PD officer once. He was a dick until he found out I was CHP and then he was chill.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Point Richmond was the start of that process, or maybe it was a throwback to a previous time. I still think parts of Richmond are too dodgy to take a risk on but you can definitely see the changes that have taken place in the last 10 years.
interesting you bring up point Richmond. I am just about done reading a book by Heather McGhee, The Sum of Us, in which she spends a chapter exploring the genesis of Richmond and Pt Richmond. Interesting, if somewhat difficult (emotionally) read.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This was in 1998 / 1999, I can only imagine how further entrenched everything is now.

Lived on Potrero Hill in SF, it was like getting across the DMZ when we would leave Richmond & get back to the city.
Oh man, have you been back to Portrero recently? Absolutely transformed into one of the best bits of the city to live, particularly if you commute down which most do. Dogpatch was my area when I was there, like mini-Brooklyn.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh man, have you been back to Portrero recently? Absolutely transformed into one of the best bits of the city to live, particularly if you commute down which most do. Dogpatch was my area when I was there, like mini-Brooklyn.
Not in years, unfortunately.

My two best friends from college & I lived in a 3/2 house on 23rd. Street for $1500 / mo. total, all hardwood, two outdoor decks, backyard, picture windows facing the Mission, stained glass fixtures installed by one of Janis Joplin’s lesbian lovers, landlord was a pot grower who had a hydroponic set up under the house on the bedrock, that’s what kept the rent low. Kine bud anytime we wanted, growing underneath our feet.

The absolute best place I have ever lived. We had Om Records DJs come over & spin on Sundays on our decks after we left 1015 Folsom & the End Up. Worked for a large wine distributor selling in downtown SF, all the wine & spirits we ever needed. Just a complete bacchanal the entire two years I lived there.

Great times.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

My two best friends from college & I lived in a 3/2 house on 23rd. Street for $1500 / mo. total, all hardwood, two outdoor decks, backyard, picture windows facing the Mission, stained glass fixtures installed by one of Janis Joplin’s lesbian lovers, landlord was a pot grower who had a hydroponic set up under the house on the bedrock, that’s what kept the rent low. Kine bud anytime we wanted, growing underneath our feet.

The absolute best place I have ever lived. We had Om Records DJs come over & spin on Sundays on our decks after we left 1015 Folsom & the End Up. Worked for a large wine distributor selling in downtown SF, all the wine & spirits we ever needed. Just a complete bacchanal the entire two years I lived there.

Great times.
Wait, I think I have seen this movie on Cinemax.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Amazing, will always love having had an SF chapter. As soon as kids enter the fray, gotta move though. Creepy how few children there are in that city!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Great times.
Oh man, this brings back memories of partying in the Bay Area in the late 90s and early 2000s. The End Up, greatest name for an after-hours venue because everyone would literally end up there at some point after a weekend of partying :lol:

Did you know Home Base?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Apologies if already posted...

Written by a former cop in a “major metro area of California” and a really good article.

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759
Real eye opener, and a lot of it does kind of ring true but of course I have never lived in America, but it did remind me of a friend I had back in the late 1980s who had been a policeman in Kent in the UK. It was all he'd ever wanted to do growing up but he left after two years and when he talked about why it was quite harrowing. He'd been a part of a group of officers sent to Nottinghamshire and then South Yorkshire during the Miner's Strikes and coming back he'd handed in his resignation. Mostly he would say that the Police weren't what we thought they were. The Police during the strikes hadn't just attended mine operations and lined up against miners, the Police had actively gone into the communities in force and invented offences, arrested strikers, planted evidence and intimidated families. Some officers had done even worse and there was no-one to stop them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh man, this brings back memories of partying in the Bay Area in the late 90s and early 2000s. The End Up, greatest name for an after-hours venue because everyone would literally end up there at some point after a weekend of partying :lol:

Did you know Home Base?
Is this a person? If so, doesn’t ring a clear bell.

forevrared

What is a ‘police gang?’

e - see it now. Vallejo is an absolute shithole. Only thing good about Vallejo is when you are through it - you’re either in wine country or the Bay Area proper.
LA County Sheriff's Department has a massive issue with police gangs. There was even an 18 year old security guard murdered last summer when police responded to an alarm at his place of business and started shooting - alleged by at least one other cop he was shot by a trigger happy cop, hoping to kill on duty so he could earn a tattoo to join his station's 'gang'.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
LA County Sheriff's Department has a massive issue with police gangs. There was even an 18 year old security guard murdered last summer when police responded to an alarm at his place of business and started shooting - alleged by at least one other cop he was shot by a trigger happy cop, hoping to kill on duty so he could earn a tattoo to join his station's 'gang'.
It used to be overt with shit like Rampart.

Now it is hidden apparently.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Rampart scandals forced change at lapd with the federal consent decree. The sheriffs up until recently are one of the few remaining “old school” departments where change has been slow. But it’s definitely changing now with the numerous scandals of their own.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Rampart scandals forced change at lapd with the federal consent decree. The sheriffs up until recently are one of the few remaining “old school” departments where change has been slow. But it’s definitely changing now with the numerous scandals of their own.
Never heard much about CHP, so I am going to guess your biggest controversy would have been the number of harassment claims against Ponch.