Cop in America doing a bad job, again

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Personally I disagree with this line of reasoning, not just on this topic but any time a false accusation occurs. I don't think takes away from the integrity of the issue at hand.
You can't expect 100% perfection on any cause, there's gonna be mistakes made, bad actors, false information etc.
We're humans at the end of the day, we gotta be given some grace to be imperfect.
Would you extend that same line of thinking to officers?

I am not being flippant, because if we are going to hold them to a high standard of making no mistake sin split second decisions (and we should when it comes to force!) then we can as a society take a few minutes to research something before amplifying a false narrative in social media. Or, if the corrective information comes out later, we need to use just as much energy to amplify the truth instead of going "oops". Truth matters because it is the truth, and not because it is convenient.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Would you extend that same line of thinking to officers?

I am not being flippant, because if we are going to hold them to a high standard of making no mistake sin split second decisions (and we should when it comes to force!) then we can as a society take a few minutes to research something before amplifying a false narrative in social media. Or, if the corrective information comes out later, we need to use just as much energy to amplify the truth instead of going "oops". Truth matters because it is the truth, and not because it is convenient.
Not in the same way no, officers go through extensive training and swore an oath to protect and uphold the highest standards of the law to the best of their ability, they made that choice. Also the mistakes an officer makes can have an impact on someone's life & potentially impact family members & others too, as we've seen with that cop from Florida on the previous page.
That's simply not comparable to a regular person thinking a police officer threw some weed in the back seat of his car and jumping to conclusions as a result. I don't see how that guy's assumption somehow makes it harder to stop the larger goal of stopping police brutality and instances of deception. Also if we really want to dive into this rabbit hole, I'd assume that the whole reason that this guy was filming in the first place, was because of the amount of instances we've seen where police officers abuse their powers, or people have ended up dead through their interactions at a traffic stop. That casusation cannot be ignored, because if he wasn't filming, he probably wouldn't have even seen the guy throw the rubbish in his car.
You can't compare the actions of every day people to professionals imo, there's a reason they are in that place in the first place - and that applies to pretty much any profession due to the gap in knowledge/skill/experience etc.

What I did like was the response from the police department, obviously they wanted to make it clear that they didn't do anything wrong on their part and were transparent and provided evidence to back that up too. That should be the expectation going forward, too many times we don't get clarification or transparency anywhere near this level.

Yes I understand it's a highly charged job, they are expected to make split second decisions and they are humans so yes they will make mistakes. The problem is that mistakes they make can mean the end of someone's life, whether literally or due to jail time, beyond that can lead to other effects such as losing job/trauma/criminal records etc.
So while it's impossible to expect perfection, we should expect accountability and proper sentencing when mistakes happen.
So yeah, I fail to see how this guys incorrect assumption makes it harder to achieve that.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not in the same way no, officers go through extensive training and swore an oath to protect and uphold the highest standards of the law to the best of their ability, they made that choice. Also the mistakes an officer makes can have an impact on someone's life & potentially impact family members & others too, as we've seen with that cop from Florida on the previous page.
That's simply not comparable to a regular person thinking a police officer threw some weed in the back seat of his car and jumping to conclusions as a result. I don't see how that guy's assumption somehow makes it harder to stop the larger goal of stopping police brutality and instances of deception. Also if we really want to dive into this rabbit hole, I'd assume that the whole reason that this guy was filming in the first place, was because of the amount of instances we've seen where police officers abuse their powers, or people have ended up dead through their interactions at a traffic stop. That casusation cannot be ignored, because if he wasn't filming, he probably wouldn't have even seen the guy throw the rubbish in his car.
You can't compare the actions of every day people to professionals imo, there's a reason they are in that place in the first place - and that applies to pretty much any profession due to the gap in knowledge/skill/experience etc.

What I did like was the response from the police department, obviously they wanted to make it clear that they didn't do anything wrong on their part and were transparent and provided evidence to back that up too. That should be the expectation going forward, too many times we don't get clarification or transparency anywhere near this level.

Yes I understand it's a highly charged job, they are expected to make split second decisions and they are humans so yes they will make mistakes. The problem is that mistakes they make can mean the end of someone's life, whether literally or due to jail time, beyond that can lead to other effects such as losing job/trauma/criminal records etc.
So while it's impossible to expect perfection, we should expect accountability and proper sentencing when mistakes happen.
So yeah, I fail to see how this guys incorrect assumption makes it harder to achieve that.

I'm not asking everyday people to behave the same way as trained police officers. I am asking everyday people to act like responsible adults. Amplifying false narratives can have bad consequences on the recipients of the lie. What if (not sure if it has) that officers name and contact info was leaked. What if his family was then harassed? What it there were calls for him to be fired? We often see the "other side" demonize victims with false narratives and we are rightly outraged by it. Remember the "drug using wife beater" narrative the Fox crew tried pinning on George Floyd? Those stories were amplified by the right wing nutjobs and crept into the mainstream where they had to be continually beat down. A situation like the one we are discussing can work as the flip side of this. If a false narrative of "cop plants drugs!!" becomes a lead story and then is shown to be false, well now it becomes a straw man to be dragged out each time another similar story comes out. In order to dig out the corruption in law enforcement there needs to be a constant vigilance for these actions, and in my view the muddling of the waters by "oopsies" will serve no good.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm not asking everyday people to behave the same way as trained police officers. I am asking everyday people to act like responsible adults. Amplifying false narratives can have bad consequences on the recipients of the lie. What if (not sure if it has) that officers name and contact info was leaked. What if his family was then harassed? What it there were calls for him to be fired? We often see the "other side" demonize victims with false narratives and we are rightly outraged by it. Remember the "drug using wife beater" narrative the Fox crew tried pinning on George Floyd? Those stories were amplified by the right wing nutjobs and crept into the mainstream where they had to be continually beat down. A situation like the one we are discussing can work as the flip side of this. If a false narrative of "cop plants drugs!!" becomes a lead story and then is shown to be false, well now it becomes a straw man to be dragged out each time another similar story comes out. In order to dig out the corruption in law enforcement there needs to be a constant vigilance for these actions, and in my view the muddling of the waters by "oopsies" will serve no good.
If anyone is using a singular incident where 1 person assumed a police officer threw some drugs in the back seat of his car, to argue against the decades where police brutality has occurred in America alone. Then i'd suggest that, that person isn't interested in having a rational debate in the first place. It's the "I have a black friend" of arguments.
This issue is bigger than singular incidents, it's systemic.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If anyone is using a singular incident where 1 person assumed a police officer threw some drugs in the back seat of his car, to argue against the decades where police brutality has occurred in America alone. Then i'd suggest that, that person isn't interested in having a rational debate in the first place. It's the "I have a black friend" of arguments.
This issue is bigger than singular incidents, it's systemic.
Absolutely!

I am not talking about good faith actors here, I am talking about those whose whole MO is throwing shit into the pool and claiming the pool can't be used because there is shit in it.

Also, this is not just about this one example, I am thinking more generally about the need to be careful about what we amplify.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Absolutely!

I am not talking about good faith actors here, I am talking about those whose whole MO is throwing shit into the pool and claiming the pool can't be used because there is shit in it.

Also, this is not just about this one example, I am thinking more generally about the need to be careful about what we amplify.
I can agree with being careful about what we amplify for sure, I think that goes without saying. I don't think the guy in this incident was a bad faith actor, but the point still remains for sure.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Happened to me here in Solihull. Few weeks after I moved, police came to my door with reports "a black guy was dealing drugs'. Till this day, I don't know the bastard that made the call. However, I did get an apology from the police.

Jericholyte2

Why do neighbors in America love to call the police so much? There need to be fines issued to them for things like this.
Paranoia and fear. Inherited from the origins of the country where you would claim your patch of land and defend it with violence, until someone killed you and took your land. Mix that in with inherited, systemic racism, and you get your answer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anyone else sometimes think this is the Copa America thread?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Possibly posted before but I stumbled across this going down the internet rabbit hole from one video to the next.

So much wrong in this clip from the ammosexual going fishing as if he's going into combat to the police showing up with guns drawn and in fatigues. The only sane person in the video appears to be the fishing warden.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Also, 375 million interactions a year but you want your officers to go around unvaxxed if they choose to? feck off. Might give new meaning to the phrase "overwhelmingly positive responses". Twats.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Delta employees were just informed their insurance rates would be raised $200 a month if they are unvaccinated. The unions do not have a leg to stand on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Possibly posted before but I stumbled across this going down the internet rabbit hole from one video to the next.

So much wrong in this clip from the ammosexual going fishing as if he's going into combat to the police showing up with guns drawn and in fatigues. The only sane person in the video appears to be the fishing warden.

“ammosexual” :lol:

What a dickhead. He’s also live streaming the whole fiasco. Pity he didn’t get shot.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The safest communities/neighborhoods are those with the most resources not ones with more cops.
A thing can be two things. You are absolutely correct that more resources will lead to safer neighborhoods. That does not mean that law enforcement plays no role in keeping people safe. The threat of tickets keeps some people from speeding who otherwise would. The threat of arrest keeps some people from driving drunk who otherwise would. And so on and so on. Proper and legal policing helps keep people safe.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I ain't afraid of no speeding ticket!

But if I get one I might speed less. :nervous:

Red light tickets on the other hand are $325 and that is enough to keep me onside. Not wanting to be in an avoidable car crash helps, too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I ain't afraid of no speeding ticket!

But if I get one I might speed less. :nervous:

Red light tickets on the other hand are $325 and that is enough to keep me onside. Not wanting to be in an avoidable car crash helps, too.
Do you guys have the same “you can turn right on a red light” rule as in the US?

entropy

Not sure you live in reality
You’re the one scrapping the bottom of the barrel with dipshit arguments about speeding tickets. This entire thread is littered with cops behaving like scum bags with little or no accountability. But sure, let’s talk about speeding tickets.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You’re the one scrapping the bottom of the barrel with dipshit arguments about speeding tickets. This entire thread is littered with cops behaving like scum bags with little or no accountability. But sure, let’s talk about speeding tickets.
If you really think the majority of police/public interactions is represented by what’s in this thread you are definitely living in the suburbs of reality.