Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The sheer aggressiveness from American police is just something else. Even traffic stops are approached as life-or-death situations.
It's the sheer aggressiveness from a large percentage of Americans, in general, that's worrying. This is not to defend what they did but it seems like everyone is out to kill.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's the sheer aggressiveness from a large percentage of Americans, in general, that's worrying. This is not to defend what they did but it seems like everyone is out to kill.
To you it may seem like it but that is not the case, the problem is that the cops don't know if someone is armed or not and because guns are readily available they automatically assume as a default that they are, I k ow if it was me I would!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Don’t know if he is right or wrong. My dad saw it, he thinks there must have been a previous issue and it seemed very personal. Exact words “looks like they are taking out vengeance”. Before anyone jumps on his head, he is old and comes from a time when walking the streets at night would often see him get stopped by passers by asking him if he needed a lift or if he’s car had broken down etc.
Yes, if you watch bodycam video 1 he was very compliant and when they kept abusing him he got free and ran. Made them look really incompetent. They took their revenge.

I believe cal also posted the unit's motto 'if you run, you pay' or something.

AlPistacho

Do you think that when the incident involves Black Police Officers it does not get the same attention as when it involves White Officers? I have this terrible feeling that there might be more cases like this but there was no outrage just because it was a Black officer and the victim was Black. This current case might be different because it was 5 of them and it was kinda hard to ignore.
That might be the case. As is also the case that when the death by police is more “ambiguous” then the white officer is more likely to get better treatment by the Police Union.

I think this video is very different to any that we’ve seen before race goes out of the window when dealing with it. Even subconscious biases can no longer be applied, because it’s a very brutal murder caught on video. My only surprise is why did it take 20 days to charge them, and why have 4 been able to post bond.

That does show a different standard for police officers. If a dead body was discovered, and then cctv showed me & you beating that person to death. A murder investigation would be launched straight away. Possible that during those 20 days they were investigating the victim more.

bosskeano

saw something on twitter today from a black journalist that caught my attention...

he basically said if you took the mug shots and just put the title of the article 5 black men arrested and charged with murder of another black man.....most people wouldn't blink an eye simply b/c that has been common place in certain cities and communities in america.

but you take that same article and put them in police uniforms and it absolutely blows up and turns people into groups that want to protest and riot. Was that b/c police are held to a different standard whether black or white? is it a pre-programming reaction that people have now?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
saw something on twitter today from a black journalist that caught my attention...

he basically said if you took the mug shots and just put the title of the article 5 black men arrested and charged with murder of another black man.....most people wouldn't blink an eye simply b/c that has been common place in certain cities and communities in america.

but you take that same article and put them in police uniforms and it absolutely blows up and turns people into groups that want to protest and riot. Was that b/c police are held to a different standard whether black or white? is it a pre-programming reaction that people have now?
Police are there to protect and serve, that's their job, of course it's a different standard

ExoduS

Wtf is with cops being total f**king nutjobs with gang mentality. Watched the edited video and it was still so freaking disturbing. Don't dare imagine what the real video looks like. fecking hell. If I was watching that and could not see uniforms and flashing light, I'd think those were some thugs committing extreme violence. 5 huge dudes ganging on a 27-year old skinny kid. This country is going to hell it seems.

ExoduS

That might be the case. As is also the case that when the death by police is more “ambiguous” then the white officer is more likely to get better treatment by the Police Union.

I think this video is very different to any that we’ve seen before race goes out of the window when dealing with it. Even subconscious biases can no longer be applied, because it’s a very brutal murder caught on video. My only surprise is why did it take 20 days to charge them, and why have 4 been able to post bond.

That does show a different standard for police officers. If a dead body was discovered, and then cctv showed me & you beating that person to death. A murder investigation would be launched straight away. Possible that during those 20 days they were investigating the victim more.
Cops have license to kill.

AlPistacho

So you think police shouldn’t be held to a different standard and be allowed to act on their whims and desires when dealing with people?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Riots and violence is what it has more likeliness to succeed. Peaceful protests accomplishes close to nothing and disrupts nothing

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't have balls to be a (street) police in US, no matter how much they pay. You risk your life, even when giving speeding ticket.

TheLiverBird

In the positions of power these Police animals were in (officers don’t apply to these feral beings in particular), they certainly deserve to be behind bars for the rest of their natural life.

Ideally a Supermax, the ones where the cells are tiny concrete, windowless and dull, and they are in them 23 hours a day, let out only too a court yard where the sky is covered and they quite literally never see the light of day ever again. Until Their brains are mush.

the footage is quite undeniable, they literally used their power from the law, pulled a compliant guy from his car and beat him to a pulp until he breathed no more. Supermax please

AlPistacho

Riots and violence is what it has more likeliness to succeed. Peaceful protests accomplishes close to nothing and disrupts nothing
A lot of people who say “riots and violence under no circumstances” fail to realise that once successful things that start off as riots and violence end up being remembered as “revolutions”.

The French Revolution. The forming of the USA, ending South African Apartheid, to name just a few.

I am not advocating anything. But just pointing out to those people that the modern world and most progressive things were formed off of the back of riots and violence.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I didn’t think your posts in this thread could get any dumber.

Well done I guess.

Revan

Assumptionman
A toxic culture prone to violence, thoroughly desensitized and jaded and lacking any semblence of empathy, it's not just their unit, it's a vast swathe of the population of the United States. Not everyone by any measure but a big slice unfortunately.

As others have aluded to, police in America were originally slave hunters. Then they became legitimate when slavery was abolished but never got rid of the mentality.

Police in any country have their fair share of bullies who never left the playground and power trips to the max because of the authority. Add in guns everywhere and media messaging that criminals are everywhere so you need guns everywhere and everyone is terrified, suspicious and completely fecked in the head. Not a good thing if you're a police officer having to suspect everyone is gonna kill you, not a good thing if you're stopped and you suspect the police officers are gonna kill you either.
Never got rid of that mentality is a bit of horseshit considering that not even the grandfathers of current police officers were yet born before the slavery was abolished. It is just ‘critical’ race theory bullshit.

Massive amount of guns in hands of civilians making police officers more at risk, consequently building a system that allows police officers to get away with murder, and a very short training. The protection police officers get probably attracts some of the scum to get there in the first place, and probably radicalizes some others. But hard to believe that it is cause you know, 200 years ago, it was an institution (partially) devoted to catching slaves who escaped.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

How should police not be held to a higher standard ffs?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This thread has too many terrible posts to quote them all.

It's like a game of top trumps; all you're left to do is sit back and marvel, I guess.

Denis79

Never got rid of that mentality is a bit of horseshit considering that not even the grandfathers of current police officers were yet born before the slavery was abolished. It is just ‘critical’ race theory bullshit.

Massive amount of guns in hands of civilians making police officers more at risk, consequently building a system that allows police officers to get away with murder, and a very short training. The protection police officers get probably attracts some of the scum to get there in the first place, and probably radicalizes some others. But hard to believe that it is cause you know, 200 years ago, it was an institution (partially) devoted to catching slaves who escaped.
I think this hits the nail on the head. They don't seem to have any proper training to fall back on when the adrenaline hits. In my days a police officer I always had guidance/training for almost any situation, no matter how much adrenaline I had in my body I always had my training to fall back on. (2 years of training here in Serbia + 1 supervised by a veteran)

Many of the videos I've seen with US police officers they put themselves and others in situations that would be a big NO, NO from what I've learned. And I don't only refer to their use of violence. I've watched the show cops like many others and it's clear that they are poorly trained/prepared.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

Who was the journalist?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
In the positions of power these Police animals were in (officers don’t apply to these feral beings in particular), they certainly deserve to be behind bars for the rest of their natural life.

Ideally a Supermax, the ones where the cells are tiny concrete, windowless and dull, and they are in them 23 hours a day, let out only too a court yard where the sky is covered and they quite literally never see the light of day ever again. Until Their brains are mush.

the footage is quite undeniable, they literally used their power from the law, pulled a compliant guy from his car and beat him to a pulp until he breathed no more. Supermax please
You'd expect they'd have a terrible time in prison once word gets around that they used to be Cops. They're done for.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Police wont ever be as effective as they could be if the people and communities (that they serve) don't trust them. That's why Police have to be held to a higher standard in general.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It says a lot about the American police system and the level of protection they give themselves, that even in this situation I think the only reason they got done so quickly was because they couldn't control the CCTV video. That part is just clear murder, which can not be hidden. The man is defenceless and out of it, yet is still kicked in the head and held up to be hit. If it was just the blurry body cams of this part, I wouldn't have put it past them to just sweep it under the rug.

From how they talked about it after, and the total lack of reaction as other officers arrived and saw them/heard them talking about it, it is clearly something that this police department has done before. Whether the previous victims survived or the evidence wasn't there unlike this case, its clear that the behaviour is normal for them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It says a lot about the American police system and the level of protection they give themselves, that even in this situation I think the only reason they got done so quickly was because they couldn't control the CCTV video. That part is just clear murder, which can not be hidden. The man is defenceless and out of it, yet is still kicked in the head and held up to be hit. If it was just the blurry body cams of this part, I wouldn't have put it past them to just sweep it under the rug.

From how they talked about it after, and the total lack of reaction as other officers arrived and saw them/heard them talking about it, it is clearly something that this police department has done before. Whether the previous victims survived or the evidence wasn't there unlike this case, its clear that the behaviour is normal for them.
Qualified immunity also means the family can't go after the individual cops civilly for any amount. Get rid of that, we will see toxic policing abate significantly.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Qualified immunity also means the family can't go after the individual cops civilly for any amount. Get rid of that, we will see toxic policing abate significantly.
Most cops won't have anything worth taking in a civil case. Better is to take from department pension funds and perhaps personal retirement accounts then we'd see sweeping changes probably.

bosskeano

I didn’t think your posts in this thread could get any dumber.

Well done I guess.
that wasn't my words or had anything to do with me....it came from a black journalist that i saw on twitter talking about the murder. I'm going to see if i can find the guy on twitter again because I'd never heard of him.

forevrared

Most cops won't have anything worth taking in a civil case. Better is to take from department pension funds and perhaps personal retirement accounts then we'd see sweeping changes probably.
Depends on the area. Loads here in California end up making $150-250k a year when OT is factored in, so they’re doing much better than they should. But yes, being able to access pension funds would be the ideal scenario.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Loosening the required qualifications however means that the department is ultimately getting “less desirable” job candidates, Mike Alcazar, an adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired NYPD detective, told The Post.

“They’re desperate. They want police officers,” Alcazar said. “They’re going through it, they check off some boxes, saying, ‘Ok, they’re good enough, get them on.”

The department showed signs of struggle with recruiting new police officers, offering $15,000 signing bonuses in 2021 and 2022, Fox 13 reported.
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/memph...-murder-hired-after-pd-relaxed-job-standards/

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
They have houses, cars, boats, RV's like other people, not enough to compensate (not that anything could) but they know they can't be touched with qualified immunity, if they didn't have that some of these events wouldn't happen

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Depends on the area. Loads here in California end up making $150-250k a year when OT is factored in, so they’re doing much better than they should. But yes, being able to access pension funds would be the ideal scenario.
Problem with pension funds is that it would affect all cops not just the bad ones, and the bad ones are a small minority in comparison to the number of good ones

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Where'd you get those figures from? That seems far far too high for a basic uniform member, even when you do factor in OT. Around $70k is a much more accurate figure.

Also, do you actually know what Police deal with day to day? Would you do it for that kind of money?

forevrared

Where'd you get those figures from? That seems far far too high for a basic uniform member, even when you do factor in OT. Around $70k is a much more accurate figure.

Also, do you actually know what Police deal with day to day? Would you do it for that kind of money?
https://blog.transparentcalifornia.com/2020/11/16/oakland-cops-640000-pay-package-highest-ever/

This report is a bit dated at this point, but all public employee salaries and total compensation are available online. It was the same story in Los Angeles when I lived there. Base salaries (which I believe start in the six figures in San Francisco, for example) rarely tell the entire story.

Problem with pension funds is that it would affect all cops not just the bad ones, and the bad ones are a small minority in comparison to the number of good ones
That’s sort of the point - if the bad eggs are accountable to the “good eggs”, then there’s a much better chance it works as intended and the bad behavior is stomped out from within. When the bad eggs know no one will speak out against them and the union will defend them in absolutely any circumstance, there’s very little incentive to do right. A little self-policing of bad behavior, if you will.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
https://blog.transparentcalifornia.com/2020/11/16/oakland-cops-640000-pay-package-highest-ever/

This report is a bit dated at this point, but all public employee salaries and total compensation are available online. It was the same story in Los Angeles when I lived there. Base salaries (which I believe start in the six figures in San Francisco, for example) rarely tell the entire story.

That’s sort of the point - if the bad eggs are accountable to the “good eggs”, then there’s a much better chance it works as intended and the bad behavior is stomped out from within. When the bad eggs know no one will speak out against them and the union will defend them in absolutely any circumstance, there’s very little incentive to do right. A little self-policing of bad behavior, if you will.
In theory you're right, but in practice, by the time the good cops find out it's too late

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

In California it is pretty accurate. 70k was the starting pay over 10 years ago for new recruits. Top step pay in many departments is 100-140k, and even higher for specialized assignments like SWAT, K9, field training officers, motors. Then when you add in OT, you’re looking at 150-200k+.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
In California it is pretty accurate. 70k was the starting pay over 10 years ago for new recruits. Top step pay in many departments is 100-140k, and even higher for specialized assignments like SWAT, K9, field training officers, motors. Then when you add in OT, you’re looking at 150-200k+.
California is a pretty expensive place to live so I' think these are probably pretty accurate

Raoul

Admin
Staff
150-200k still isn't enough given that the average cost of a home in LA is 950k. So either most people are renting or they got into a house a decade ago when great recession recovery prices were very low.