Cop in America doing a bad job, again

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Outright assault by the second officer on the scene. Looking forward to the State of Texas settling this inevitable lawsuit.

Edit: It's Mississippi according to the twitter thread.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He's alive. Thank feck for that. I was fearing the worst truth be told.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Just a crime of “speeding”, no as it’s an infraction.

Unless he angles for some reckless driving angle but that’s rarely just straight up speed.
At what point does an infraction then lead to an arrest? I thought you had to just write a ticket for that and then go. The officer clearly said he was arresting the guy for speeding which seems to be a violation of his rights.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Horrific - and everyone watching will just be waiting on the shots.

So sad watching the man still resisting in small ways probably knowing full well he could be shot for it, total exasperation and sadness comes across from him and his partner.

Zero communication, seemingly zero knowledge of the law, zero tactics or graduated response. And his back up... feck me.

Jail time in the UK for both, you would hope.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Every day this occurs.

Charges were dropped on the officers.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Can't get my head around most things that people in the US think are OK, but condoning regular police brutality and outright incompetence has to be one of the weirdest. Terrible country and I hope the UK never gets fully in bed with them, we should keep their politics and social norms as far away from our country as we can.

Skizzo

At what point does an infraction then lead to an arrest? I thought you had to just write a ticket for that and then go. The officer clearly said he was arresting the guy for speeding which seems to be a violation of his rights.
Well without knowing specifically what the stop was for, it would be hard to say for sure what angle he’d try and spin.

For example, in California I could drop someone for a straight speed violation of going over 65mph, and it would be an infraction. If I stop someone for reckless driving, which speed alone COULD justify depending on speed, traffic, etc, then it could ether be dealt with as a ticket and signed, or taken to jail as it’s a misdemeanor.

Similar to someone driving on a suspending license. We typically wouldn’t arrest someone for that, but certain states would.

Not that any of this is an endorsement for his actions, just trying to explain.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well without knowing specifically what the stop was for, it would be hard to say for sure what angle he’d try and spin.

For example, in California I could drop someone for a straight speed violation of going over 65mph, and it would be an infraction. If I stop someone for reckless driving, which speed alone COULD justify depending on speed, traffic, etc, then it could ether be dealt with as a ticket and signed, or taken to jail as it’s a misdemeanor.

Similar to someone driving on a suspending license. We typically wouldn’t arrest someone for that, but certain states would.

Not that any of this is an endorsement for his actions, just trying to explain.
Well if you tell someone you are arresting them for an infraction and they know that you can't do that, then are they within their rights to resist an illegal arrest?

Skizzo

Well if you tell someone you are arresting them for an infraction and they know that you can't do that, then are they within their rights to resist an illegal arrest?
Yeah the Supreme Court has upheld that I believe. If there’s no grounds for an arrest, you can resist. Which I see both as a good and bad. Prefacing this with no I don’t believe anyone should be wrongfully arrested.

Obviously if you have an absolute understanding of the situation and know with absolute certainty that you shouldn’t be arrested, then that’s one thing. I can’t say it’s necessarily the best course of action, but once you’re at that point I guess it is what it is.

The other issue is people who have absolutely no understanding of what their rights are or how the law pertains to them, and trying to do their thing and resisting and escalating. Sovereign citizens, etc.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've gone down that YT rabbit hole of 1st amendment audits before. It's amazing how many cops don't know the law either.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

Every day this occurs.

Charges were dropped on the officers.
That's horrible. On a training/procedure note, putting bodyweight on a combative/resisting suspect's back is actually very common practice. But it IS dangerous to keep someone like that for a prolonged time. Heck even when my toddler is on my back I struggle to breathe. As long as the cuffs are on and the suspect stops resisting/fighting, we (at my dept) get them on their side or sit them up. It definitely needs to be policy throughout the country though, as I don't believe it is.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
It would only lead to an arrest if the person refuses to sign the citation. I'm curious to know why the cop had the guy out of the car in the first place. If he had reasonable suspicion for some other crime (drugs, weapons, etc) or if the driver indeed was refusing to sign and was just arguing.