Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The problem with equipping only SWAT teams with high powered weapons is that more often than not, they are never first on scene of an active shooter or similar situation. It’s the regular patrol officers on their beat that are there first to respond. And that is IF said department even has a SWAT team since many do not.

I agree that gung-ho cowboy type of behavior needs to dampen especially when not appropriate, but personally as a father myself I wouldn’t want cops to be at a disadvantage when responding to an active shooter at my kids’ school, the mall, or wherever they may be.
Sure but patrol officers lack the tactical training needed to engage suspects in this manner. Gung-ho behaviour like this gets civilians and officers killed.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Sure but patrol officers lack the tactical training needed to engage suspects in this manner. Gung-ho behaviour like this gets civilians and officers killed.

Soldiers do this type of training day in and day out and it can still go to shit in a live situation. I bet cops do a bare minimum of tactical training. I did a lot of CQB training and it isn't easy.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Their jobs shouldn't be to ever engage armed robbers in shootouts in public places. One of the things I've heard talked about regarding proper police behavior is "time distance, cover". By giving yourself distance, you give yourself time, and cover. This allows you to deal with a situation far more safely.

The North Hollywood shooter, as far as I can tell, is what has driven this militarization of the police in America. The Cops lost their shit because they decided to get into a shootout with dudes with assault rifles and body armor. What they should have done, was just followed them at a safe distance until the appropriate units could be dispatched. Instead, they opted to get into a gun fight with their service pistols, until they could break out bigger guns.

Obviously exceptions would be made for areas or locales where there are no specialized units, but the reality is pretty simple. Unless someone is literally about to be murdered, the cops don't need to engage directly, and they can certainly follow at a safe, less confrontational distance until the suspects run out of gas, or otherwise stop in a less congested area.

Arming cops to the teeth, gives too many of them the idea that they are some highly trained operators, and emboldens them to do shit like we just saw. Hose a UPS truck down, kill 2 bad guys, but also pump the UPs driver full of lead, oh, and kill another innocent 100 yards away from the truck or so. The worst part is, in the heat of that moment, that UPS driver was deliberately shot, as he was mistaken for a hostile. You know what would have saved the UPS driver? Time, distance, cover.
I wasn’t speaking directly about the UPS incident, but I was tying to steer the conversation towards active shooter incidents, which for the past decade has been a big topic. Fair enough if you think police should not engage an armed person/people unless someone will imminently be murdered. But then the question arises: when is someone “literally about to be murdered”? Do you engage when a suspect shoots a civilian first? Or pointing a gun in a threatening manner?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Obviously regular patrol officers won’t have the advanced and ongoing training that SWAT teams do, but most departments now do active-shooter training these days because of all the shit going on world wide. Departments who issue AR-15 or similar assault rifles usually require regular training with it. About 30% of patrol officers in my dept are trained in UPR (urban police rifle) and take one out as an option. They have to qualify with it at the range monthly.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
A witness said that the mother was asked to leave when she sat down on the floor because all of the chairs were full.
According to the report, all from a nothing situation, a woman sitting on the floor in an overcrowded waiting room. Ending with this escalation and one officer threatening the understandibly agitated bystanders with a taser.
Immediately after the altercation, Headley faced possible charges for resisting arrest, acting in a manner injurious to a child, obstructing governmental administration and criminal trespass — but all charges were eventually dropped.
The standard everywhere. If police brutalizes you, you'll get charged. Okay, this woman was lucky to get away with compensation and an excuse from the mayor. No witnesses, video footage, and media exposure, and it might have ended very differently for her.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I knew this would be the update as soon as I saw this thread on the main page. What can you even say other than it's fecking disgusting. Will never happen to a white kid acting a fool. Hell, I grew up in Hawai'i schools and we were all very crazy. Even the big Samoan kids who would threaten teachers never had police called on them. Teachers just called the even bigger Samoan security guards to take them and it was generally peaceful process.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The actual feck, why would the school call the police instead of her parents? Are there not rules for arresting someone that young? Insane
There are rules and the officer was fired for breaching them. You're supposed to get special permission to arrest anyone under 12.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Christ on a bike. How does someone like that get in a position of power.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Sometimes it's difficult to discern the difference between police officers and a gang of thugs:

Fener1907

Why do they all come sprinting to the scene like there is a murder taking place?

Power, eh. Goes to people's heads far too quickly.

binary bot
Those videos anger me so much that i always regret watching them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sometimes it's difficult to discern the difference between police officers and a gang of thugs:

What the feck is wrong with these people. It's a single kid. These cops should be tied to a rocket and shot into the sun.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Full thread with additional videos. Makes me sick just watching this stuff, bastards.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This cop doing a good job. Guy was an absolute divvy, ringing cardi b thinking he’d get away with it :lol:

DVG7

clearly that young kid has some freakish strength as they all struggle with him, but the cop right at the end who tries to stamp on his ankle should be thrown in jail more than any of them.