Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Ludens the Red

@Leroy The Red I’m genuinely curious, have you ever said cops require the same amount of firepower ‘as an army’? Have you ever even hinted at it?
:lol: I’ll play ball anyway....
Can you explain to us, as a cop, why you require the same amount of firepower as an army? what’s the logic behind that?
Where is the logic behind this question? The cops killing people are street cops using handguns. If they were turning up in black neighbourhoods with tank guns and grenades, maybe just maybe you’d have a very small point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I get the impression from afar that there's a bit of a purposeful focus on the individual involved and whether they're charged or not. It seems to be used as a distraction from the obvious point that such events just demonstrate the failure in culture and process of the police.

Either they're not vetting their staff appropriately, the culture is wrong or the training is wrong. The fact his colleagues didn't stop him to me is scarier than the individuals actions.
This is the point that I'm failing to make. They are not actually vetting or to be more honest some departments aren't vetting them for that type of things. You have cops and other public servants wearing swastikas or making racist/xenophobic comments on public platforms. The very nature of vetting is subjective and it will depend entirely on where your society's values are, in the US being racist isn't that big of deal, being publically racist isn't that big of deal and there is a fair chance that the mob will defend your free speech rights.
That's the problem that I have with a few, in isolation I agree with the idea of cleaning the Police but in reality cleaning the Police is something that can only be done from the tip of the pyramid and that pyramid is headed by a fair amount of bigots and racists who gained their mandates from the electorates who is perfectly happy with these bigoted and racist practices. It's as if they are wearing blinkers.

entropy

:lol: I’ll play ball anyway....

Where is the logic behind this question? The cops killing people are street cops using handguns. If they were turning up in black neighbourhoods with tank guns and grenades, maybe just maybe you’d have a very small point.
But they do have access to such fire arms. If anything, they have access to not just fire arms but also surveillance tools that allows them to encroach upon constitutional rights and spy on individuals.

Drainy

Genuine question here. Why isn't the cop charged with anything? Surely they can start with something no? I don't know how this works. So asking.
Because they need to bring the right charges.

If they go murder they have to prove intent. Manslaughter there may be rules that protect an officer acting as part of their duty and they need to get the evidence together to bring it to show why the protections don't apply under the law using statutes and or case law.

It's less than a week, people need to be patient before calling bullshit. The officers lost their jobs and next is the legal recourse.

The prosecutor isn't an armchair commentator watching a video and posting online, they have to consider the law and the evidence and bring the right charges once the evidence is gathered to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Otherwise the officer will not get anything

Ludens the Red

But they do have access to such fire arms. If anything, they have access to not just fire arms but also surveillance tools that allows them to encroach upon constitutional rights and spy on individuals.
Ok but how is that going to stop Street police officers in the states turning up to 999 calls and killing unarmed black people?
What has that go to do with surveillance and spying on people ? I think your issues are just with policing in general which is fine to have but that’s not what people in this thread are addressing.

You must surely know that purely stripping the police force of high tech equipment and firearms isn’t going to stop Officer Bob turning up to a theft of a cheeseburger call and deciding to shoot the suspect dead with a basic handgun.

entropy

Ok but how is that going to stop Street police officers in the states turning up to 999 calls and killing unarmed black people?
What has that go to do with surveillance and spying on people ? I think your issues are just with policing in general which is fine to have but that’s not what people in this thread are addressing.

You must surely know that purely stripping the police force of high tech equipment and firearms isn’t going to stop Officer Bob turning up to a theft of a cheeseburger call and deciding to shoot the suspect dead with a basic handgun.
This is actually pretty incredible to read. Especially coming from a cop. You seem soo set in your belief that innocent people are going to die irrespective of whatever can be done. Believe it or not, there is an easier way to have avoided George Floyd's death. If the officer was charged with any of the 17 complaints filed against him, George Floyd would be alive today. If anything, one should be ashamed that so many prior red flags about the officer have been missed or blatantly ignored. There is no reason whatsoever to pretend like any of this is unavoidable.

Smores

This is actually pretty incredible to read. Especially coming from a cop. You seem soo set in your belief that innocent people are going to die irrespective of whatever can be done. Believe it or not, there is an easier way to have avoided George Floyd's death. If the officer was charged with any of the 17 complaints filed against him, George Floyd would be alive today. If anything, one should be ashamed that so many prior red flags about the officer have been missed or blatantly ignored. There is no reason whatsoever to pretend like any of this is unavoidable.
I think you've taken a bit of a leap on what he's saying there. The gun issue is obviously hugely important but your intent of taking them away as a sort of punishment doesn't seem to solve much of the problems related to this case?

I'd agree they contribute to an environment of fear that heightens tensions but that's a wider point of US arms.

The controls and accountability you go on to state are the key here and i dont think he or anyone else is or can argue against those points.

Ludens the Red

The problem is mate, you keep moving goalposts so it’s difficult to keep up and then you spin whatever is said around and come up with something else. It’s difficult to have a Conversation with you if you’re doing this.

I mean you didn’t even address the initial point I put to you in that how was it a realistic proposition to expect police to have their guns and supply taken away from them when civilians are legally walking around with ak47’s.

entropy

I think you've taken a bit of a leap on what he's saying there. The gun issue is obviously hugely important but your intent of taking them away as a sort of punishment doesn't seem to solve much of the problems related to this case?
Like I said in my previous post, this issue could have been avoided like countless others before them. The officer who murdered him had 17 complaints against him. If the cops weren't so inept, he wouldn't even be in uniform, let alone murdering innocent civilians.
I'd agree they contribute to an environment of fear that heightens tensions but that's a wider point of US arms.

The controls and accountability you go on to state are the key here and i dont think he or anyone else is or can argue against those points.
You can’t control an individual's right to arms. No one is trying to do that. But you can control how cops access them. You can definitely control how much power you hand over to them. Because guess what, it is taxpayers' money that funds them. And I am talking about firearms you shouldn’t even be having in the first place. I am also not talking about limiting their access as some sort of punishment, if anything it should be a norm moving forward.
My overall point is simple and should be obvious to us by now. When you’ve reached a point where cops have enough tools to start a war, incite riots, kill innocent civilians and behave like racist pos but can’t protect an unarmed individual then they are no longer cops. They are no longer serving their purpose. And the only way to bring about serious change is to defund them and limit their access to power. Instead of wasting millions funding them, the money is better served elsewhere.

Last edited:

entropy

The problem is mate, you keep moving goalposts so it’s difficult to keep up and then you spin whatever is said around and come up with something else. It’s difficult to have a Conversation with you if you’re doing this.

I mean you didn’t even address the initial point I put to you in that how was it a realistic proposition to expect police to have their guns and supply taken away from them when civilians are legally walking around with ak47’s.
The fact that you can't even recognize that this could be avoided tells me all I need to know about you.

Ludens the Red

The fact that you can't even recognize that this could be avoided tells me all I need to know about you.
I think you should maybe acknowledge that a number of people have questioned your posts in this thread and reconsider what you’ve typed before hitting ‘post reply’.

Tel074

And so it begins. These pigs are going to squirm their way out of any serious consequence for this
Unbelievable. If it isn't bad enough these racist cops killing yet another coloured man we then have people like this backing them and refusing to condemn them .

entropy

I think you should maybe acknowledge that a number of people have questioned your posts in this thread and reconsider what you’ve typed before hitting ‘post reply’.
We get it, mate. Your purpose is to yell at anyone who criticizes cops beyond a certain point. And come across as smug when someone points out that innocent deaths could've been avoided.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
We get it, mate. Your purpose is to yell at anyone who criticizes cops beyond a certain point. And come across as smug when someone points out that innocent deaths could've been avoided.
Honestly, whilst text is not the best medium for conveying tone or volume, from my perspective as someone largely uninvolved in this thread, your posts come across a lot "louder" and more aggressive than @Leroy The Red , regardless of which "side" of the argument I am on.

GiddyUp

At some point the cost-benefit analysis of having lots of poorly trained officers doing bad things would have to tip the scale towards taking more time to train people, even if it means fewer officers at a given time.
I'd make them get rid of all that military gear for starters. It makes them look like something they are not meant to be.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'd make them get rid of all that military gear for starters. It makes them look like something they are not meant to be.
Yeah, the militarification (I may have just invented that word) of the American police force has been something to behold.

Which, again, makes the irony of how much the #Murica #Freedom #ColdDeadHands crowd backs the police while fearing a "tyrannical government" so much more interesting.

Pagh Wraith

I'd suggest you tone it down a little. You come across as a right [take your pick] and certainly not interested in having a discussion or having any of your arguments challenged.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Yeah, the militarification (I may have just invented that word) of the American police force has been something to behold.

Which, again, makes the irony of how much the #Murica #Freedom #ColdDeadHands crowd backs the police while fearing a "tyrannical government" so much more interesting.
I’ve heard this criticism a lot, but what specific aspect of militarization are people having issue with? Is it the riot gear and equipment during riot events? Or regular patrol officers having AR15’s? Shotguns equipped in police vehicles? Is it the SWAT teams and their tools?

arnie_ni

Look at this for a headline. I actually laughed out loud at it which i know isnt the correct repsonse but its funny the hoops so media jump through not to call a spade a spade

MTF

I’ve heard this criticism a lot, but what specific aspect of militarization are people having issue with? Is it the riot gear and equipment during riot events? Or regular patrol officers having AR15’s? Shotguns equipped in police vehicles? Is it the SWAT teams and their tools?
Regular patrol having AR15s is one, could probably be restricted just to SWAT units without posing any risk to patrol officers. Even SWAT should mainly be equipped with submachineguns due to the lower velocity and therefore lower risk of the round hitting someone far from the intended target/threat.

And also more symbolic, but I never understood why so many SWAT teams seemed to go from primarily wearing black, to nowadays wearing camouflage? Are they having that many operations out in the woods? Like I said, it is symbolic but the police of any country is not supposed to look like that same country's infantry.

GiddyUp

Tbf one’s Police is reflective of its society. So yes police departments and their culture, policies, training, recruiting are problems. But so is the greater society. The US claims to be a first world country, but has violent crime rates more similar to 3rd world countries. Add to that the gun culture, large income disparities and the gang culture in many cities, and of course the racial diversity and the tensions that come with it, leads to the kind of society and police forces we have.
Doesn't mean you should be murdered for a fraudulent check while 3 coppers stand by and watch you die. Is it right for someone to be killed by police for crimes like these? Is it ok for police to rampage through a neighborhood putting everyone at risk because someone stole a car radio and then gun them down? Tell me, as a police officer in this country, what crimes should constitute a death sentance by police?
I'm confused as to how unarmed people are killed by officers in the process of an arrest for selling loose cigarettes.
Definately not you, I can tell you have a good grasp of your responsibilities but collectively you guys just have no shame and a lot of you are a disgrace to the badge simply because you protect each other when you actually witnessing crimes committed by your colleagues. You are not above the law and that's the problem you guys have right now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What does it mean to be charged with 3rd degree murder & manslaughter? How do you get two charges out of that?

arnie_ni

I dont want to get into the cops and their weapons to much, but i cant see any scenario that they will reduce their armoury, reduce their automatic weapons etc, with so many citizens having weapons.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I dont want to get into the cops and their weapons to much, but i cant see any scenario that they will reduce their armoury, reduce their automatic weapons etc, with so many citizens having weapons.
Agreed on this point. When you have a population so hell bent on having automatic weaponry, you need your police to be at least equally well armed and armoured.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Great news will be convictions. A show trial, him getting off scott-free and then getting a go-fund me that sets him up for life, is still very probably the more likely outcome.
Honestly, if he doesnt face some serious punishment then I imagine the riots will flare up again.

That said, I doubt he would fare too well in prison either.

arnie_ni

Agreed on this point. When you have a population so hell bent on having automatic weaponry, you need your police to be at least equally well armed and armoured.
The two would need to come hand in hand which will never happen.