Cop in America doing a bad job, again

NotThatSoph

Wasn’t the question
Such a fecking weird question, though. What are you after? You're either implying that it has to be some American coppers, or you want to know specifically who it is if it isn't some thin blue liners from New York.

Let's turn it around. The best cops are the Ghanaian ones. Prove me wrong.

Drainy

:lol: I'd love to know when the lapd was the epitome of law enforcement
Was just thinking the same. I guess they feel like they inspired the others with images of their officers 'accosting' Rodney King?

Somewhat of trendsetters for 3 decades of images of police brutally.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Such a fecking weird question, though. What are you after? You're either implying that it has to be some American coppers, or you want to know specifically who it is if it isn't some thin blue liners from New York.

Let's turn it around. The best cops are the Ghanaian ones. Prove me wrong.
what’s “fecking weird” about the question? What I’m after is a simple answer to a simple question. Figured i wouldn’t get one.

NotThatSoph

what’s “fecking weird” about the question? What I’m after is a simple answer to a simple question. Figured i wouldn’t get one.
But there is no simple answer to the question, and you know that. What did you want, Timbuktu, Mali?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Was just thinking the same. I guess they feel like they inspired the others with images of their officers 'accosting' Rodney King?

Somewhat of trendsetters for 3 decades of images of police brutally.
The 90’s were definitely a turning point for the department. Rodney king, the riots, OJ trial, rampart scandal. All those events resulted in being held under a court-ordered federal consent decree where the department answered to the DOJ, and change was FORCED. As you can imagine prior to that, the lapd (or any police department in the nation) was like the Wild West. It forced them to change hiring standards, reporting procedures, training, documentation, internal investigations, integrity audits for example.

Today, at least amongst the large metropolitan departments, it is widely considered to be the leader in policing standards. Other large departments like New York and Chicago, and even my local la county sheriffs are still “behind the times” because they haven’t been forced to change or address any corrupt behavior. So yes I’d say they are “trendsetters” in policing today.

NotThatSoph

The thread is about policing in the USA so no.
This is so weird on two levels:

1) So what if this is about policing in the US, that doesn't mean that the "epitome of policing" have to be American. This is utterly bizarre on its own.
2) Even if it had to be confined to the US, which again makes no sense (imagine for a moment someone in the Afghanistan thread claiming that the Taliban is the epitome of government. After all, it has to be an Afghan government seeing as the thread is about Afghanistan), just pick a random place. Bumfeck, Alabama, is the epitome of policing, not the lapd. Now what? It's meaningless.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

1) So what if this is about policing in the US, that doesn't mean that the "epitome of policing" have to be American. This is utterly bizarre on its own.
2) Even if it had to be confined to the US, which again makes no sense (imagine for a moment someone in the Afghanistan thread claiming that the Taliban is the epitome of government. After all, it has to be an Afghan government seeing as the thread is about Afghanistan), just pick a random place. Bumfeck, Alabama, is the epitome of policing, not the lapd. Now what? It's meaningless.
If it’s so weird for you and bizarre feel free to move along. I wasn’t even asking you.

NotThatSoph

If it’s so weird for you and bizarre feel free to move along. I wasn’t even asking you.
No, I'll stay here, thank you. Feel free to use PMs if you want private chats.

You're also just lying now. You asked me a direct question.

Ladron de redcafe

Today, at least amongst the large metropolitan departments, it is widely considered to be the leader in policing standards. Other large departments like New York and Chicago, and even my local la county sheriffs are still “behind the times” because they haven’t been forced to change or address any corrupt behavior. So yes I’d say they are “trendsetters” in policing today.
It isn't, and the onus and burden of proof is on you, when you make a claim like that. The poster to whom you were replying can easily reply by suggesting that the LAPD is the antithesis of policing. Where do you from there?

You can't present an opinion as a basis for an argument.

Drainy

The 90’s were definitely a turning point for the department. Rodney king, the riots, OJ trial, rampart scandal. All those events resulted in being held under a court-ordered federal consent decree where the department answered to the DOJ, and change was FORCED. As you can imagine prior to that, the lapd (or any police department in the nation) was like the Wild West. It forced them to change hiring standards, reporting procedures, training, documentation, internal investigations, integrity audits for example.

Sounds like they were dragged kicking and screaming, but seem to want credit for it now?

I mean, I suppose compared the the rural police you see all the time online I guess having literate officers is leading the standards.

NotThatSoph

My original question wasn't to you
Sure. You asked someone else on a public forum. Then I replied to you, you asked me a question, and when you got a reply you didn't like you decided to disengage.

If you only wanted to talk to @Eboue you would have told to me kick rocks from the start, and you would have told @Drainy the same thing. You didn't, because it's not true. You replied to both of us, even though the original question was addressed to neither of us.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
It isn't, and the onus and burden of proof is on you, when you make a claim like that. The poster to whom you were replying can easily reply by suggesting that the LAPD is the antithesis of policing. Where do you from there?

You can't present an opinion as a basis for an argument.
I wasn't intending to make an argument. It is my opinion based on knowledge from the job and more specifically working with lapd and being at the mercy of their policies and procedures, which tend to have a ripple effect on departments throughout the region. If people think the lapd is the antithesis of policing that's fine, it's their opinion. I know there's a lot of dirt that goes on still to this day, same as any department that size. I was simply outlining how the consent decree has forced lapd to grow and change into one of the more progressive departments in the nation, while many others see continuing instances of civil rights violations, corruption, blatant racism, excessive/unjustified force with little to no accountability.

Ladron de redcafe

I wasn't intending to make an argument. It is my opinion based on knowledge from the job and more specifically working with lapd and being at the mercy of their policies and procedures, which tend to have a ripple effect on departments throughout the region. If people think the lapd is the antithesis of policing that's fine, it's their opinion. I know there's a lot of dirt that goes on still to this day, same as any department that size. I was simply outlining how the consent decree has forced lapd to grow and change into one of the more progressive departments in the nation, while many others see continuing instances of civil rights violations, corruption, blatant racism, excessive/unjustified force with little to no accountability.
Fair enough. I think others might see it a little differently, and as you pointed out, the examples of corruption are a repost to the notion that the LAPD are progressive, in the eyes of many.

But it it's interesting reading your perspective (and others') on this topic.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!

The plain truth is that there's no real way of telling who's the best and who's the worst in the USA concerning policing. The FBI is supposed to be tracking all violent acts from cops, but they have refused to do it.

READ HERE:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/17/fbi-police-use-of-force-data-records

I lived in LA (Santa Monica & Hollywood) for a decade throughout the 1990's
It was bad, real bad.

After moving from LA to the Balt/DC area, I worked as a journalist, often covering the culture and trends of police misconduct.
Firstly, consent decrees outlined by the DOJ are suggestive and have no prosecutorial power, unless shit is so bad that the DOJ investigates and passes of the case to the FBI to press charges. One example is the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force prosecutions that have now led to 30+ cops being sentenced to prison for up to 25 years. You'd think, 'Wow, that's quite an accomplishment' but the ugly truth is that the States Attorney's Office (SAO) Marilyn Mosby had announced that they needed the FBI to stop prosecuting Baltimore cops because there were likely more than 100 more cops that could go down and it would certainly bankrupt the city with lawsuits.

To answer your question of 'Now what?'
There needs to be more pressure on the FBI to both investigate all incidents, and be transparent.

Supposedly Obama didn't want his 'personal bias' to be a factor in his admin, so he put Joe Biden in charge of responding to the uprisings 10 years ago. The 21st Century Task Force On Policing was a joke that had no plan of implementing 'suggested changes' of police reform.

Granted times nowadays of economic disparity fueled by the pandemic hasn't made it any easier for cops in America, the job can't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. I personally don't see anyone at the federal level that will initiate effective change. Yet, on the local levels some districts are making an effort.

If I were to vote on the worst, I'd put my money on Baltimore.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Sounds like they were dragged kicking and screaming, but seem to want credit for it now?

I mean, I suppose compared the the rural police you see all the time online I guess having literate officers is leading the standards.
Seeing as it was over 20 years ago, most of that generation that were kicking and screaming are long gone. So I doubt any officers there now "want credit" for how progressive their department is compared to yesteryear. It's Los Angeles we're talking about, so literacy isn't all that high in standard.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The plain truth is that there's no real way of telling who's the best and who's the worst in the USA concerning policing. The FBI is supposed to be tracking all violent acts from cops, but they have refused to do it.

READ HERE:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/17/fbi-police-use-of-force-data-records

I lived in LA (Santa Monica & Hollywood) for a decade throughout the 1990's
It was bad, real bad.

After moving from LA to the Balt/DC area, I worked as a journalist, often covering the culture and trends of police misconduct.
Firstly, consent decrees outlined by the DOJ are suggestive and have no prosecutorial power, unless shit is so bad that the DOJ investigates and passes of the case to the FBI to press charges. One example is the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force prosecutions that have now led to 30+ cops being sentenced to prison for up to 25 years. You'd think, 'Wow, that's quite an accomplishment' but the ugly truth is that the States Attorney's Office (SAO) Marilyn Mosby had announced that they needed the FBI to stop prosecuting Baltimore cops because there were likely more than 100 more cops that could go down and it would certainly bankrupt the city with lawsuits.

To answer your question of 'Now what?'
There needs to be more pressure on the FBI to both investigate all incidents, and be transparent.

Supposedly Obama didn't want his 'personal bias' to be a factor in his admin, so he put Joe Biden in charge of responding to the uprisings 10 years ago. The 21st Century Task Force On Policing was a joke that had no plan of implementing 'suggested changes' of police reform.

Granted times nowadays of economic disparity fueled by the pandemic hasn't made it any easier for cops in America, the job can't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. I personally don't see anyone at the federal level that will initiate effective change. Yet, on the local levels some districts are making an effort.

If I were to vote on the worst, I'd put my money on Baltimore.
Baltimore has seen recent convictions of cops who planted drugs and guns on persons but it's ridiculous the government stopped because of money.

One could look back to the pre-80s NYC and see all the corruption in federal and state agencies, often intertwined with mafia families. There were cops convicted of being mob hitmen, ffs.

Course we also had the Boston FBI permitting Whitey Bulgar to carry on while being an informant. Wasn't there a racially motivated policy in the LA force in the 70s to 90s targeting certain neighborhoods?

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Baltimore has seen recent convictions of cops who planted drugs and guns on persons but it's ridiculous the government stopped because of money.

One could look back to the pre-80s NYC and see all the corruption in federal and state agencies, often intertwined with mafia families. There were cops convicted of being mob hitmen, ffs.

Course we also had the Boston FBI permitting Whitey Bulgar to carry on while being an informant. Wasn't there a racially motivated policy in the LA force in the 70s to 90s targeting certain neighborhoods?
Well, the Baltimore situation was way worse. A Lt Det. Suiter was more than likely executed by fellow officers the day before he was supposed to testify in the GTTF trials that have led to dozens of cops going to prison, anyhow.

Having lived in LA, I'd be more inclined to think that the motivation for the widespread corruption was more greed based. While I lived there during the Rampart stuff, just on the outskirts of that district, cops were collecting money from drug dealers right next door to me. Plus one group of cops were actually robbing banks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I hate when they do performative copaganda like this.
Or they'll have the videos of the 'cool cop playing bball in the hood', only to find out he's been planting drugs for the last 10 years.

bosskeano

cops do stupid shit and it always comes out and makes big headlines but they have to deal with this type of shit on a daily basis ......

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

‘Trendsetter’ might be a more appropriate term. The LAPD are only one generation removed from atrocities being committed by their rank & file.

It is a bit disconcerting to think of the LAPD as a leader simply due to recent, forced changes to its institutional machinery, but that’s where we might be.

Jericholyte2

There is no context where beating people on the ground is ok.
I knew I was going to get a reply like this. No 9 second clip is going to show an entire story without an accompanies link to the related news article.

I’m not exactly going “well what happened before the video” like many do but there is absolutely no context to that video.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I knew I was going to get a reply like this. No 9 second clip is going to show an entire story without an accompanies link to the related news article.

I’m not exactly going “well what happened before the video” like many do but there is absolutely no context to that video.
The end of that video shows a cop smashing something, I think the but of his gun, into the head of a person on the ground. Another cop had just left that person so we can assume they were not holding a grenade of nuclear bomb detonator. Can you think of a single reason anyone should be smashed in the face with a gun but if they are on the ground? This is not me going "the cops are pigs and are always wrong", this is me seeing something indefensible and saying the indefensible can not be made right by context.