Copa Libertadores de América 2018 | Round of 16

ash_86

So a huge scandal just happened this week, it didn't get a lot of traction in European news.

Long story short, South America's "Champions League" knockout stage has commenced. Santos played Independiente in Ro16 last week. Minutes after they got a draw away from home, it came to surface that their recently purchased midfielder Sanchez (same who played WC for Uruguay) had a red card in his last CONMEBOL game which was in 2015, in Copa Sudamericana, and thus was ineligeble to play.

Santos used the computerized system called COMET. The COMET system shows Sanchez his suspension in 2015, but that he had zero games to serve since May 2018.

Minutes after the game, CONMEBOL made a statement they were opening a case against Santos to overturn the game 3-0 in favor of Independiente.

Now comes the cluster feck... In search for solid proof that Santos was at fault, CONMEBOL posted a PDF that was sent to all teams in 2016, after the amnesty of that year, showing all suspended players, and their games to serve. Apart from showing Sanchez, there was also a player who played in this month's Ro16 and nobody noticed, Bruno Zuculini, for River Plate against Racing Club.

He had two games to serve, from a 2013 suspension, in Copa Sudamericana. So basically River Plate played 7 (!!) games with an irregular player in this year's Libertadores. But here is the thing: CONMEBOL said River Plate would not be punished, and did so in a very rapid time frame.

So after this very shady lack of equalify of treatment from CONMEBOL, the Court of Arbitration of Sport from USA said they will intervene in the competition and it is risked to be suspended for a while, when they sort all this thing out.

Major shady points : There is a strong rumor a CONMEBOL official knew about Sanchez situation before the game, but waited for Santos to include him anyways.

The 'letter' which exempts River Plate (eventhough it doesn't) was written by a dead person.

Why was River Plate's case resolved in less than 7 hours, when Santos' and San Lorenzo's (last month) took more than 1 week.

Anywyas, lets wait for the next chapters! CAS may find some skeletons if they dig deep enough. I hope they have the green light to do so! CONMEBOL is the worst..
What a clusterfeck. Definitely something shady going on. Isn't Santos one of the big clubs in the competition?

the_irish123

What a clusterfeck. Definitely something shady going on. Isn't Santos one of the big clubs in the competition?
But Argentina seems to have a lot of power in Conmebol related to Brazil. Brazil actually has a FA president who is doing it as a hobby, as the ex president is in jail.
He is so clueless he voted against Conmebol for 2030 world cup. I think this is some sort of retaliation.
Definately looks like argentina has the car keys in conmebol

IFC 1905

1- The COMET system is not an official system to ask for the players situation. The official thing is to send a FAX and ask for the situation of the players. Santos did it in 2017 and didn't do it this year. Using a irregular player who is suspended has a punishment which consists in changing the scoreboard for a 3-0 in favour of injuriated team.
2- A journalist in Argentina realized Sanchez couldn't play, and it got viralized. CONMEBOL decided to act even when Independiente didn't do the claim.
3- Sanchez was given a 3 game suspension. In 2016, due to the 100th anniversary (and because Boca Juniors asked for it), they gave this amnisty which reduced each suspension by a 50%. Sanchez had only 1 game remaining.
4- Independiente made a formal claim after the CONMEBOL got in the case. Independiente, according to the regulation, did the claim within 24 hs after the game.
5- Santos claimed they used the "official" COMET system, and there isn't other ways to know if the player can play. Journalists brought this 2016 paper where CONMEBOL made public the status of the suspensions after the amnisty.
6- In this 2016 document, Bruno Zuculini appeared to have 2 games suspended, after the reduction of a 4 games ban. Zuculini played 2 games of the groups stage, and made it to the bench in every game.
7- Conmebol released a statement in a 3 hours period stating that the River Plate - Racing Club game will continue 0-0, because River Plate did send the fax to CONMEBOL asking for the player situation (and they commited an administrative error saying that he was free to play) and mainly because no team did the claim within 24 hours after the game. And Zuculini now will have to face this 2 match ban.

Today CONMEBOL, in a few hours, will announce that Independiente won 3-0 the first game (which in the reality ended 0-0). And the Santos fans claim that they're not being treated equally to the River Plate case, which they find exactly the same as theirs (when actually, it isn't). Racing Club claims River Plate should be taken out of the competition due to the repetition of the infraction and said they would go aftrer TAS or Fifa to solve it.

CONMEBOL released a statement where confirmed that all the games of this week (Santos - Independiente, River - Racing, Libertad - Boca) will be played as planned. There's no risk of the Cup being stopped.

Last edited:

IFC 1905

It's almost 11 AM in Argentina, the game will start 7:30 PM and CONMEBOL didn't send their resolution. No one still knows if we're 0-0 or leading 3-0.

This is ridiculous.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The clubs knew last night. They just didn't release it to the public to avoid any assault or harassment of the Indep team/hotel. Makes complete sense.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Should be an interesting game now. Santos did nothing in the away game anyway. Indep will just park the bus like every Argentina away in Copa.

IFC 1905

Should be an interesting game now. Santos did nothing in the away game anyway. Indep will just park the bus like every Argentina away in Copa.

Independiente will attack Santos as if it was 0-0. We don't know how to park the bus. We didn't park the bust against Flamengo, Gremio or Corinthians there.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Independiente will attack Santos as if it was 0-0. We don't know how to park the bus. We didn't park the bust against Flamengo, Gremio or Corinthians there.
Corinthians were through when you played them and you had to win though didn't you? Can't remember Gremio game. Pretty sure you parked the bus v Flamengo, just checked stats as well and it was very one sided. 12-1 corners etc. Think circumstances are entirely different here to any of those games. I'll be watching all the games tonight, hopefully you do go for it but can't see it. Good luck!

the_irish123

The fact that River Plate didn't get the same treatment is very strange. CAS will be all over this hopefully.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that River Plate didn't get the same treatment is very strange. CAS will be all over this hopefully.
Thought the same but the rules apparently require the complaint to be made within 24 hours of the match. As this did not happen, no previous games were effected. Indep made the complaint instantly. Assuming this is genuinely the rules, then CAS can't do anything.

Amwar

Shame some of the Mexican teams did not go. I would have liked Tigres, Monterrey, or America to have played. Top teams go? Or does CONMEBOL get to decide who comes in?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Shame some of the Mexican teams did not go. I would have liked Tigres, Monterrey, or America to have played. Top teams go? Or does CONMEBOL get to decide who comes in?
Mexico aren’t members of Conmebol, it’s just for South American sides. Mexico is under Concacaf.

the_irish123

They played from 98 to 2016. But I think Conmebol kicked them out for whatever reason. They never managed to win it. Also, It is a very long plane ride to get there.

In the long term, it would be great to have a competition with MLS, MX, Brazil and Arg teams. I have no idea how to make it work though. The TV money would be helpful for Conmebol teams.

matador

Sorry about not having updated this thread. I'll make sure to do so during the week. Same with the Sudamericana thread.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Palmeiras-Boca on right now. Surprised this thread hasn't been bumped considering we're potentially 90 minutes away from a final that will cause argentina to blow up

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Is it even being broadcast in the UK? I'll watch it if so.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly no idea, not in the UK. Boca leading 1-0 at the half, 3-0 aggregate. 45 minutes away from Boca-River final

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Gooooooooooooool do palmeiraaaaaassssss!!!!!!

Still, 1-1. Need another 3. Not gonna lie, i want the superclasico final

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Should shut up :lol:

Penalty for palmeiras

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Benedetto!!! Again!! Off the bench. The guy the world laughed at when Sampaoli decided to call over icardi, higuain and aguero, dragging boca to the final. Brace in the first leg, and now the tie-killing goal. And a great goal too. Almost as good as his second from the first leg

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This final is the biggest football game in the history of the Americas.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This final is the biggest football game in the history of the Americas.
Eh? How exactly? The Copa has lost a lot of shine in the last couple of decades. You no longer have Zico, Bochini or Francescoli in it but... Benedetto.

Other than River and Boca fans bricking it over losing to their rivals I doubt anyone gives two fecks about it.

Wayne's World

Wow just seen this morning....one of the biggest rivaliries in the biggest game in South America and probably the biggest game in both clubs history

Can't wait for the first leg next week....I wonder will the AFA will let the away fans into the stadium even though there's a ban currently to stop visiting fans attending?

IFC 1905

I've never understood the 2 legged final.

It's a huge tie, should be getting more coverage.

Well, it has to do with the economical issue here, the distances are way bigger than in Europe and the countries doesn't have the same economy. I think it's good that way, It's a great experience going to brazil and getting their fans silenced in their own field like River did against Gremio.

This will be without a single doubt the biggest final in the history of the Americas, as people said before. And due to the G-20 coming to Buenos Aires in november, they're planning to play it on saturdays which will be cool for you to watch. Although I can't see Boca winning over River. River is a helluva team.

Eh? How exactly? The Copa has lost a lot of shine in the last couple of decades. You no longer have Zico, Bochini or Francescoli in it but... Benedetto.

Other than River and Boca fans bricking it over losing to their rivals I doubt anyone gives two fecks about it.

What? In south america everyone is talking about it, even the brazilians lol. It's a fecking superclasico which will decide a Libertadores title, I mean....you're from uruguay, you know our folclore. You know what would mean for the fans of the winning side to make chants and jokes about it? It will be eternal. Also, Boca and River have strong teams, with players who play in NTs of south american countries and Argentina itself. There's a really good level.

I think the top 4 of Argentina are stronger than all of the brazilian teams ATM (Boca, River, Racing, Independiente) and River eliminated 2 of them.

When it comes to brazilian teams, Gremio played horribly at home, trying to park the bust but River missed many chances because they failed in the finishing. I've seen Palmeiras playing vs Cerro Porteño and they were certainly horrible at home, where having a bad time and started loosing time and acting while Cerro almost got the tie to the penalties. And yesterday I couldn't believe how awful they play for the good players they have. Corinthians and Santos seemed to me as a really weak team aswell when we faced them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well, it has to do with the economical issue here, the distances are way bigger than in Europe and the countries doesn't have the same economy. I think it's good that way, It's a great experience going to brazil and getting their fans silenced in their own field like River did against Gremio.

This will be without a single doubt the biggest final in the history of the Americas, as people said before. And due to the G-20 coming to Buenos Aires in november, they're planning to play it on saturdays which will be cool for you to watch. Although I can't see Boca winning over River. River is a helluva team.
That makes sense.

So the date and time isn't locked down yet?

antohan

What? In south america everyone is talking about it, even the brazilians lol. It's a fecking superclasico which will decide a Libertadores title, I mean....you're from uruguay, you know our folclore. You know what would mean for the fans of the winning side to make chants and jokes about it? It will be eternal. Also, Boca and River have strong teams, with players who play in NTs of south american countries and Argentina itself. There's a really good level.

I think the top 4 of Argentina are stronger than all of the brazilian teams ATM (Boca, River, Racing, Independiente) and River eliminated 2 of them.

When it comes to brazilian teams, Gremio played horribly at home, trying to park the bust but River missed many chances because they failed in the finishing. I've seen Palmeiras playing vs Cerro Porteño and they were certainly horrible at home, where having a bad time and started loosing time and acting while Cerro almost got the tie to the penalties. And yesterday I couldn't believe how awful they play for the good players they have. Corinthians and Santos seemed to me as a really weak team aswell when we faced them.
That's what the big deal amounts to really. In 20 years I will hardly remember it like I do remember some finals in the 80s and 90s.

It WAS a bigger deal. E.g. Cali using all that drug money and constantly failing in the final. Finals with teams from different countries had a lot of national pride involved so they mobilised entire nations. This to me is just a higher stakes Clásico which, unless you are from River or Boca (maybe Argentinian for the bantz) we will quickly brush aside.

IFC 1905

That's what the big deal amounts to really. In 20 years I will hardly remember it like I do remember some finals in the 80s and 90s.

It WAS a bigger deal. E.g. Cali using all that drug money and constantly failing in the final. Finals with teams from different countries had a lot of national pride involved so they mobilised entire nations. This to me is just a higher stakes Clásico which, unless you are from River or Boca (maybe Argentinian for the bantz) we will quickly brush aside.

Well, maybe it's your perception and it's ok. But from what I've seen, there's such a big expectation in most countries. You lived in that era aswell, I didn't. Also this edition of the Copa has been the best in many, many years with all the champions playing it, with good levels. It has been blurred to to the conmebol issues and horrible VAR usage.

antohan

Well, maybe it's your perception and it's ok. But from what I've seen, there's such a big expectation in most countries. You lived in that era aswell, I didn't. Also this edition of the Copa has been the best in many, many years with all the champions playing it, with good levels. It has been blurred to to the conmebol issues and horrible VAR usage.
70% of what I heard about is just that

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Need to find a way to watch this final. For Europeans, we might not get it, this is effectively like Barca and Madrid or Man Utd and Liverpool playing the CL final, which I think would be considered quite a big deal. I can only imagine the shenanigans in the second leg if one team becomes aware that they aren't going to win and shit goes south. :lol:

IFC 1905

Saturday nov 10th, 4 pm (BUE), 7 PM (LON) ---> La Bombonera

Saturday 24th, same time, the second leg. Stadium not confirmed.

IFC 1905

I guess the stadium is not confirmed yet for two reasons

1- There's the G-20 in BA and the security structure won't allow the game to be played at the Monumental
2- Gremio went with their lawyers to the CONMEBOL asking for the match to be given to them because Gallardo didn't respect his suspension and went to the dressing room in HT.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am looking forward to watching the game. We will get together all the friends as in el clásico. Argentine friends are excited.
Years ago I followed weekly argentine football and was quite aware,now I am a bit lost although simply for the rivalry the match is a must.
Personally, I've always had more sympathy for River, although 70% of Argentines I met are from Boca.

IFC 1905

AFA has claimed to change the dates of both legs arguing CONMEBOL hasn't asked them and released that tweet only because FOX (who has the rights) wanted to do it those days.

AFA says that setting the finals on two saturdays would imply a huge modification in the domestic competition, reprograming matches due to security risks. It also damages TNTsports (the other enterprise that has the TV rights).

The President Mauricio Macri has declared he wants both matches with away fans, which seems almost impossible.

So the dates are not confirmed yet.

@matador should change the thread title and announce the greatest final ever