Copa Libertadores de América 2018 | Round of 16

Pocho

Well, it has to do with the economical issue here, the distances are way bigger than in Europe and the countries doesn't have the same economy. I think it's good that way, It's a great experience going to brazil and getting their fans silenced in their own field like River did against Gremio.

This will be without a single doubt the biggest final in the history of the Americas, as people said before. And due to the G-20 coming to Buenos Aires in november, they're planning to play it on saturdays which will be cool for you to watch. Although I can't see Boca winning over River. River is a helluva team.

What? In south america everyone is talking about it, even the brazilians lol. It's a fecking superclasico which will decide a Libertadores title, I mean....you're from uruguay, you know our folclore. You know what would mean for the fans of the winning side to make chants and jokes about it? It will be eternal. Also, Boca and River have strong teams, with players who play in NTs of south american countries and Argentina itself. There's a really good level.

I think the top 4 of Argentina are stronger than all of the brazilian teams ATM (Boca, River, Racing, Independiente) and River eliminated 2 of them.

When it comes to brazilian teams, Gremio played horribly at home, trying to park the bust but River missed many chances because they failed in the finishing. I've seen Palmeiras playing vs Cerro Porteño and they were certainly horrible at home, where having a bad time and started loosing time and acting while Cerro almost got the tie to the penalties. And yesterday I couldn't believe how awful they play for the good players they have. Corinthians and Santos seemed to me as a really weak team aswell when we faced them.
Great post. Specially coming from a rojo fan.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Which of the 2 (River/Boca) is the most supported one in Argentina? And are there any cultural differences between the fanbases? (like rich/poor or whatever)
Genuinely interested.

IFC 1905

Which of the 2 (River/Boca) is the most supported one in Argentina? And are there any cultural differences between the fanbases? (like rich/poor or whatever)
Genuinely interested.

I think it's really close, boca may be a little bit more popular. You can say that both can perfectly be 85% of the country, being Boca 45% out of that number.

Then, in argentina we all are poor :lol::lol: But seriously, River has been related to the middle-high class and that's why they decided to move their club (which initially was in La Boca, the same neighborhood as Boca Juniors) to the north side of Buenos Aires city. But now they are both popular with all kind of people.

IFC 1905

Well, to add some news about the final

1 - New time confirmed: They will play both matches on SAT NOV 10th and 24th at 17 PM (BUE), 20 PM (LON)
2- CONMEBOL is looking for a way to keep Marcelo Gallardo away from his players and the technical staff, they're thinking about not letting him be at both La Bombonera and Monumental stadiums, and even consider cutting the mobile signals from the dressing rooms with somekind of device :lol:
3- There will NOT be away fans, confirmed by both teams.

4- Although both team representatives, and even players who are in europe are sending messages to keep things down and realize it's just a game, not a war, the crazy situations have started. In the north of Argentina, two "friends" began an argument which ended with one of them's house burned

Wayne's World

Well, to add some news about the final

1 - New time confirmed: They will play both matches on SAT NOV 10th and 24th at 17 PM (BUE), 20 PM (LON)
2- CONMEBOL is looking for a way to keep Marcelo Gallardo away from his players and the technical staff, they're thinking about not letting him be at both La Bombonera and Monumental stadiums, and even consider cutting the mobile signals from the dressing rooms with somekind of device :lol:
3- There will NOT be away fans, confirmed by both teams.

4- Although both team representatives, and even players who are in europe are sending messages to keep things down and realize it's just a game, not a war, the crazy situations have started. In the north of Argentina, two "friends" began an argument which ended with one of them's house burned

That's very disappointing and I feel like it will slightly take away from the occasion, it's a historic day for South American football and it would have been amazing to see what both sets of fans singing their hearts out.

Also I find it a little bit dangerous thinking of Boca win, they will have to celebrate and collect the trophy at the Estadio Monumental....they could put the players and staff in real danger with River fans there and we know what happened when they got relegated :nervous::nervous::nervous:

IFC 1905

Boca fans are drooling with that, but It will likely not happen. I don't think Boca will get the thropy at the monumental, or at least I don't think they will give the olympic lap at all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Boca raise the cup at the monumental, river will need to find a new stadium :lol:

IFC 1905

As a rivalry, there are some things to consider, knowing that in argentine football what remains over anything is chanting against the rivals, making fun of them, etc. This factor is way bigger than getting the title itself. Winning this final will give the supporters a huge advantage when it comes to that.

So, when it comes to Boca fans

1- Boca leads the history of the superclasico by 9 matches
2- River plate has been relegated in 2011 (this is something huge in these arguments, something river fans can't reply)
3- Boca has far more international trophies
4- Boca could win and lift the tropihie at the Monumental
5- Boca has won over River in Libertadores ties a couple times, specially in 2004 at their stadium

When it comes to River

1- River has been winning the most important matches and ties since Gallardo is in charge. They kicked boca out of Libertadores, Sudamericana, beaten them a couple times at La Bombonera (although boca won the last two matches at the monumental, regarding to the domestic league)
2- Boca fans used pepper sprays to force the suspension of a match in 2015 (this is another huge one favoring River, if you force the final of a match or leave the stadium before the match finishes here it's considered as abandonment)
3- River plate has far more national trophies.

So in my eyes River Plate has way more things to loose. The relegation for me is such a big difference in this rivalry. Only winning this final would make it close. If Boca wins, river plate fans can get together and rent a nice cave to hide forever.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not quite on purpose but he's probably not at all unhappy about it :D

Charles Miller

They should change the name of the Libertadores to Everybody-who-doesn't speak-portuguese + referees + Conmebol x Brazilian teams.. Its not a serious competition.

I bet many of those "finals" without Brazilian clubs in the past, when the television was not showing was like this year..

Brazil should join Mexico and United States and create a sane and serious competition. Libertadores is 100% bananera.

Pocho

They should change the name of the Libertadores to Everybody-who-doesn't speak-portuguese + referees + Conmebol x Brazilian teams.. Its not a serious competition.

I bet many of those "finals" without Brazilian clubs in the past, when the television was not showing was like this year..

Brazil should join Mexico and United States and create a sane and serious competition. Libertadores is 100% bananera.
Gremio was shameful against River, they deserved losing the leg. What are you talking about?

IFC 1905

Typical brazilians crying and looking for conspirations. Brazilian teams were shameful and their directories amateur in some aspects.

the_irish123

I watched the Gremio tie. Gremio have themselves to blame, they should've gotten more goals, River basically had given up.

But I don't like VAR when they start fishing for hand balls in the box, when nobody even asked for them. The one in Croatia-France final was even worse.

IFC 1905

I watched the Gremio tie. Gremio have themselves to blame, they should've gotten more goals, River basically had given up.

But I don't like VAR when they start fishing for hand balls in the box, when nobody even asked for them. The one in Croatia-France final was even worse.

Look, river robbed us with the var and I still can tell you, that hand ball was as clear as can be

Hubal

I just checked if there's anyone in both squads I could recognize; wait, that cnut Tevez is still playing for Boca? Also remember Zarate from his European career and I used to rate Gago as well - didn't he get some nasty injury just before the World Cup? Then, Enzo Perez and maybe Quintero ring a bell when it comes to River Plate. Difficult to decide who to support, will definitely watch at least one leg of the final though

Please update the thread title by the way