Copa Oro aka Gold Cup

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Over to CONCACAF for more shit on a stick football or perhaps a slight improvement compared to Copa America.

No Gio Reyna for the US as Dortmund refused to release him, something like that. No Pulisic as a grouper tried to eat him, something like that.

Mexico vs Trinidad & Tobago is on currently. Curacao, the world class warriors they are, have withdrawn to COVID tests, and Guatemala take their place.

It's likely a Mexico vs US final in the waiting although Berhalter will try his best to feck up the US chances.

Cloud7

20 mins in without conceding against Mexico. We’re doing well so far.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
This is what I have been waiting for! I have high hopes for USA. Haiti will be no match for us, so a heavy win should boost our morale and confidence!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What an amazing result that was for Trinidad & Tobago! I never expected them to get a draw against a pretty good Mexico team, but they somehow pulled that off. This Gold Cup is going to be a crazy tournament.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure which country to root for in this tournament. Someone give me a lowdown on who to root for that isn’t Mexico or the US

Cloud7

What an amazing result that was for Trinidad & Tobago! I never expected them to get a draw against a pretty good Mexico team, but they somehow pulled that off. This Gold Cup is going to be a crazy tournament.
Great result for us. I fell asleep during the match and was shocked when I woke up and saw that we salvaged a point.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Was really excited for this and thought we had an outside chance as USA has a weakened squad but missing Davies and David pretty much kills all of that. The pair of them and Atiba could have had us really go for it and possibly send Atiba out with the showing he deserves.

Just comfortably get out of the group and give the quarters a good performance would be decent enough now.

miked99

Oh excellent, is this on? I was 'fortunate' enough to get chronic sinusitis a couple of years ago and be off work for a fortnight at the same time the Copa America and Gold Cup were on. They were all shown 'as live' in the mornings on some channel called Free Sports. The highlight of the Gold Cup for me was the incredibly terrible American commentator who did all the games. He used to get super-excited at random moments and would often shout so loud the sound distorted and cut out. Please let him be doing it again :lol:

EDIT - Jusr checked and it's on Free Sports again. Channel 553 on Virgin. Can't wait for Canada v Martinique :drool:

Last edited:

Kearnkoff69

Canada and Costa Rica have held a soft spot for me, even when competing against the Nats (US).
I second the Costa Rica shout here. They are fun to watch and I will never forget the tears of pride and joy shed by their fans when they beat Uruguay in the 2014 WC. i always have a soft spot for them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Canada up 3-1 at the half granted it's Martinique.
Former Newcastle United player Emmanuel Rivière played a part in Martinique's first goal. After we went 1-0 down, I was fearing the worst, but we rebounded back quite well.

Tajon Buchanan's been a beast for us. He's terrorised Martinique on the left flank. Martinique, though, have done a good job in beating our presses, but our back line have done a good job in dealing with them for the most part.

R_Cubed

Not sure which country to root for in this tournament. Someone give me a lowdown on who to root for that isn’t Mexico or the US
Jamaica. We've gotten all the way to the final in 2 of the last 3 tournaments. Also we have a few England born players including Ravel Morrison. Hopefully we make the final again and win this time.

R_Cubed

Former Newcastle United player Emmanuel Rivière played a part in Martinique's first goal. After we went 1-0 down, I was fearing the worst, but we rebounded back quite well.

Tajon Buchanan's been a beast for us. He's terrorised Martinique on the left flank. Martinique, though, have done a good job in beating our presses, but our back line have done a good job in dealing with them for the most part.
Martinique are a joke. Canada is attacking down one side and they refuse to have their winger help out their RB. Canada aren't being tested at all.

MrMarcello

Zardes starting up front. It's Haiti and some of the top tier players are not available for this cup. But why do US managers continue to pick tried and tested garbage?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Martinique are a joke. Canada is attacking down one side and they refuse to have their winger help out their RB. Canada aren't being tested at all.
Yeah, our class shone in the end, and we basically beat them 4-1 whilst playing in 2nd gear and having to deal with a card-happy ref.

R_Cubed

Yeah, our class shone in the end, and we basically beat them 4-1 whilst playing in 2nd gear and having to deal with a card-happy ref.
I stopped watching before halftime. The way it was going it looked like it could be any score. I want to see Canada vs Haiti and USA. Martinique were really poor. I hope Jamaica makes the final again but unfortunately Ravel is still awaiting his VISA. He has been outstanding in his 3 games for us thus far.

R_Cubed

Zardes starting up front. It's Haiti and some of the top tier players are not available for this cup. But why do US managers continue to pick tried and tested garbage?
What better options are there when so many are missing?

R_Cubed

Good start for Jamaica. Promising first 20 minutes followed by nothing thereafter.

Kearnkoff69

I was intrigued by the Honduras game, but it's been pushed back to 11:10pm ET. Not staying up that late to watch a game that I only had passing interest in to begin with. Qatar-Panama has been livelier than expected so far.

spottieottiedopaliscious

Wish they would just mesh Gold Cup with Copa America. Would be such a benefit for CONCACAF while adding a little more competitiveness to Copa America.

R_Cubed

Wish they would just mesh Gold Cup with Copa America. Would be such a benefit for CONCACAF while adding a little more competitiveness to Copa America.
It would be a good idea but CONCACAF wants to maintain its independence. Our top clubs used to compete in The Copa Libertadores and even won it but even that has stopped as we have our own continental club cup.

MrMarcello

Guessing FIFA would need to make a concession to permit highest finish for the federation that fails to win the tournament. Cannot see CONCACAF risking losing out on those guaranteed slots to the Confederations Cup and whatever else comes with winning a regional cup.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We are playing back ups to our back ups? Not must watch TV.

I might watch USA vs Canada and USA vs Mexico if it happens just because I can’t help myself.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I was bored and watched Dike’s goals, he could really develop to be a beast!

spottieottiedopaliscious

I wish the USA vs Canada match had been earlier in the group stage. I feel like tomorrow will be a cautious match for both, I hope I’m wrong though. Both teams have some exciting young talent.

R_Cubed

Is it likely Ravel's visa issues will be sorted before the tournament concludes?
No. The JFF were tardy and blundered. There is very little chance that Ravel will be present for this tournament. The American Embassy does things on their timing. Somehow The JFF believed that they could complete the process on their terms. Very idiotic of them.