Copa Oro aka Gold Cup

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh well. That early goal made the difference in the end, and our lack of quality and composure in the final third hurt us, unfortunately. Here's hoping we can do well in the knockout rounds and hopefully go far.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh well. That early goal made the difference in the end, and our lack of quality and composure in the final third hurt us, unfortunately. Here's hoping we can do well in the knockout rounds and hopefully go far.
If Zimmerman is out I can’t see us making it passes the QF, let alone get to the final.

this roster construction was a mess. GB brought 2 wingers, and now one is out injured and the other is absolutely useless. To offset that he needs to play wingbacks, which means 3 at the back. Only problem is he only brought 3 decent CB’s, so if Z is out that means Pines is in and whoever we play will press the ever loving shit out of him. Just a disaster. Between this and the abortion that was the olympics qualifying roster I half believe GB is trying to lose.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
USMNT will not get stronger and develop with him as our manager. The worst is I dont see a line of replacements.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
USMNT will not get stronger and develop with him as our manager. The worst is I dont see a line of replacements.
If we are going to go for an American I only see Marsch, and he’s kinda busy at the moment. Otherwise we need to go outside the US, but I don’t see the good old boys at US Soccer doing that.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
These MLS and kids can win against Jamaica….I mean they could lose too.

NYAS

Marsch has to be in charge for 2026. A home WC with the golden generation entering their peak. There’s no way he refuses if the federation propose it to him. Probably in 23/24, after he’s had a couple years at Leipzig.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Marsch has to be in charge for 2026. A home WC with the golden generation entering their peak. There’s no way he refuses if the federation propose it to him. Probably in 23/24, after he’s had a couple years at Leipzig.
based on what he has accomplished so far I would love this, but there is almost no way it happens. There are 4 possible outcomes of his time at RBL:

1. He does so well a huge club poaches him
2. He does well and is still there
3. He flames out at RBL and is starting up a new position elsewhere
4. He really flames out and is unemployed

the only way I see him taking the role would in scenarios 4 and in that case I don’t see the federation offering him.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
5. He may prefer managing club football at this point in his career.
Yeah, but that was kinda implicit in my thinking of 1-3.

Unless someone comes out of nowhere It needs to be foreign coach. This team is crying out for a modern progressive coach who will not play it safe when things get rough. GGG sucked me in yesterday with the starting lineup, but his inability and/or fear to change things tactically when things went south was criminal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I really think US should just get a decent manager from europe. I mean Hiddink did great things in similar situations with S. Korea and Australia and you obviously had Klinsmann in charge at 2014 world cup and it was respectable last 16 showing even if in the long run it didn't amount to much. Seems you went for Van Gaal a few years ago. Also had Bora for 1994 world cup who'd managed loads of international teams by then.

It looks such a good first 11 on paper for 2026 it feels like a shame for a Berhallter type to waste potential. Saw it before with Bob Bradley in 2010 world cup.

Actually thinking about it Martino would've been a decent pick. Got Paraguay to 2010 quarter finals and also managed Argentina but Mexico got in first and they will surely break their last 16 curse in 2026.

Lars Lagerback wouldn't be a bad choice if he hasn't retired now. Edit: 73 on Friday so perhaps not but someone along those lines.

NYAS

based on what he has accomplished so far I would love this, but there is almost no way it happens. There are 4 possible outcomes of his time at RBL:

1. He does so well a huge club poaches him
2. He does well and is still there
3. He flames out at RBL and is starting up a new position elsewhere
4. He really flames out and is unemployed

the only way I see him taking the role would in scenarios 4 and in that case I don’t see the federation offering him.
I’d have to disagree. Firstly, regarding point 4, do you really think the federation will suddenly become so selective that they wouldn’t offer him the job even if he failed at Leipzig and was unemployed? I mean come on, look who’s in charge now, and who’s been in charge in the recent past. I mean if Jesse Marsch was unemployed, and the federation saw that as a mark against him, I’d be shocked. He’d be held to a different standard than all the average to shit coaches that came before him.

Secondly, yes, he might prefer club football at that time, regardless of which club he’s at or how well he’s doing. But if I’m Marsch and I get offered the job, man I’d find it extremely hard to turn it down. A home WC with that crop of players; it’s never going to happen again in his lifetime. He might see it differently, but I’d be really surprised if he resisted the temptation. Club football will always be there. That WC won’t.

In my view the only way it doesn’t happen is if they literally forget to offer it to him. We’ll see.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’d have to disagree. Firstly, regarding point 4, do you really think the federation will suddenly become so selective that they wouldn’t offer him the job even if he failed at Leipzig and was unemployed? I mean come on, look who’s in charge now, and who’s been in charge in the recent past. I mean if Jesse Marsch was unemployed, and the federation saw that as a mark against him, I’d be shocked. He’d be held to a different standard than all the average to shit coaches that came before him.

Secondly, yes, he might prefer club football at that time, regardless of which club he’s at or how well he’s doing. But if I’m Marsch and I get offered the job, man I’d find it extremely hard to turn it down. A home WC with that crop of players; it’s never going to happen again in his lifetime. He might see it differently, but I’d be really surprised if he resisted the temptation. Club football will always be there. That WC won’t.

In my view the only way it doesn’t happen is if they literally forget to offer it to him. We’ll see.
Regarding who is in charge now I would suggest that you look at who was in charge of hiring. Not who they say was in charge, but who actually had power in US Soccer at the time (hint: one of them also had the last name of Berhalter). No other candidate was ever considered.

US Soccer in too entwined with MLS, and until/if that changes they will always look there for coaches and players to pump up the profile of the league. Klinsman was the only exception to that rule Since Bora and that only happened to wash was at the bad will from the end of BB’s tenure.

I don’t disagree that they may want him to do it if he is doing well, but I do disagree the March would leave RBL/Bayern/Utd/etc. to take the role. One of the crucial traits that he has is his ambition, and taking the US role would be a step backwards.

maybe he can pull a FM trick like I do and do both.:D

NYAS

Regarding who is in charge now I would suggest that you look at who was in charge of hiring. Not who they say was in charge, but who actually had power in US Soccer at the time (hint: one of them also had the last name of Berhalter). No other candidate was ever considered.

US Soccer in too entwined with MLS, and until/if that changes they will always look there for coaches and players to pump up the profile of the league. Klinsman was the only exception to that rule Since Bora and that only happened to wash was at the bad will from the end of BB’s tenure.

I don’t disagree that they may want him to do it if he is doing well, but I do disagree the March would leave RBL/Bayern/Utd/etc. to take the role. One of the crucial traits that he has is his ambition, and taking the US role would be a step backwards.

maybe he can pull a FM trick like I do and do both.:D
If that’s the case then I may have underestimated the incompetence of the federation. I just think it would be completely mad for them to go for anyone else before him. Public pressure would demand it.

I should probably edit my earlier post but I’ll clarify here: in the hypothetical case that he’d be at a Bayern/United at that time, then yeah I think he’d stay, but I guess I was assuming he wouldn’t be at a mega club. If it was RBL or a club of a similar size, which is probably more likely to be the case (not that I don’t rate him, I just think he probably wouldn’t be at a mega club at that stage) then yeah I think he’d go for USMNT.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Oh joy. That U.S. match really screwed Canada over. Akinola's also ruled out for the rest of the MLS season, so TFC also got screwed over.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Oh joy. That U.S. match really screwed Canada over. Akinola's also ruled out for the rest of the MLS season, so TFC also got screwed over.
Don't worry, CONCACAF changed the rules mid tournament to allow injury replacements. I am sure it had nothing to do with how shit Mexico and the USA have been and this is to give them a chance to reorganize :wenger:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Don't worry, CONCACAF changed the rules mid tournament to allow injury replacements. I am sure it had nothing to do with how shit Mexico and the USA have been and this is to give them a chance to reorganize :wenger:
Yeah, like we'd be able to bring in any decent replacements for both Akinola and Larin. Maybe Tesho would get called up as a backup, but that's all I can think of at this time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, like we'd be able to bring in any decent replacements for both Akinola and Larin. Maybe Tesho would get called up as a backup, but that's all I can think of at this time.
I would have guessed that Canada's depth would not be great, so sucks for you guys.

For us, I really hope that Yuell, Lewis, and Pines "pull their hamstrings" in training. GB's roster construction and talent evaluation is a really big concern to me. Almost as big as his in game management. He is a disaster and I am 100% sure that Canada has the superior coach.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Congrats to Qatar for making it to the quarter finals

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Qatar and Mexico into the semis. El Salvador/Qatar match had an entertaining finish. Qatar got a questionable penalty decision in their favor, converted, and went up 3-0. El Salvador roared back with two goals and had an equalizer chalked off for offside. The replay showed the attacker was just offside by a foot or so, so close. Qatar's keeper made some good saves late to secure the win. I went to sleep figuring Mexico would easily handle Honduras, and they did 3-0.

Next up, US v Jamaica and Costa Rica v Canada.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Qatar and Mexico into the semis. El Salvador/Qatar match had an entertaining finish. Qatar got a questionable penalty decision in their favor, converted, and went up 3-0. El Salvador roared back with two goals and had an equalizer chalked off for offside. The replay showed the attacker was just offside by a foot or so, so close. Qatar's keeper made some good saves late to secure the win. I went to sleep figuring Mexico would easily handle Honduras, and they did 3-0.

Next up, US v Jamaica and Costa Rica v Canada.
Qatar v. Costa Rica final would be amazing as you could likely power New York city just from the anger of CONCACAF officials as they watch the attendance/TV ratings come in.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
USA vs Jamaica has not been pleasing to the eye in the first half.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This Robinson defender looks decent for America. Stopped a two on one just now though the Jamaican attacker was a bit dumb.

Canuckred64

Is there anywhere we're you can find live streams now, surprised this game is not on any of the American channels we get.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Late goal by America. The Jamaican keeper tried to come out for a cross and missed it completely.

spottieottiedopaliscious

Not a very entertaining match but a win is a win. Miles Robison played really well. I fell like he will move abroad next summer which will be huge loss for Atl Utd.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not a very entertaining match but a win is a win. Miles Robison played really well. I fell like he will move abroad next summer which will be huge loss for Atl Utd.
at this point “huge loss” and “Atlanta Utd” are basically synonymous.:(

Robinson played really well tonight. To go from super shaky and nervous against Haiti to leading the back line so well these last 1.5 games has been awesome to see. I thought Acosta played really well also.

York

Robinson, Vines, Busio and a couple others played well. I enjoyed the game.

Bertie Wooster

I'm pleased that USA got through to the SF - though it's going to be a tough match v Qatar with so many of the top US stars missing. I usually don't want Mexico to win it but, this year, I'd be a little torn if they end up playing Qatar in the final as I really don't like to see a team from a completely different continent winning another continents tournament.

I'm English, but I really like America and would love the men's US team to get very strong and competitive so I was disappointed to see such a weakened squad selected given the strength of this latest generation.

I haven't been able to find out: was that the US decision to try out some players ahead of the world cup? (Which would be disappointingly disrespectful of the Gold Cup). Or have the European clubs not allowed them to go? (Which would also be disrespectful of the Gold Cup as the clubs allow players to go to other continental tournaments).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Seemed like zero creativity in the midfield for the US. Acosta was the MOTM for me. Nearly had a wonder strike as well and made some key long passes.

@Bertie Wooster some of the key US players were not released from their European club. I think some had played in that stupid Nations League thing and were left off the Gold Cup roster.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I'm pleased that USA got through to the SF - though it's going to be a tough match v Qatar with so many of the top US stars missing. I usually don't want Mexico to win it but, this year, I'd be a little torn if they end up playing Qatar in the final as I really don't like to see a team from a completely different continent winning another continents tournament.

I'm English, but I really like America and would love the men's US team to get very strong and competitive so I was disappointed to see such a weakened squad selected given the strength of this latest generation.

I haven't been able to find out: was that the US decision to try out some players ahead of the world cup? (Which would be disappointingly disrespectful of the Gold Cup). Or have the European clubs not allowed them to go? (Which would also be disrespectful of the Gold Cup as the clubs allow players to go to other continental tournaments).
It was a decision by both players and the manager for the European club players to play Nations League and get a break before doing pre-season with their clubs. I know that Chelsea did not block Pulisic.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Seemed like zero creativity in the midfield for the US. Acosta was the MOTM for me. Nearly had a wonder strike as well and made some key long passes.

@Bertie Wooster some of the key US players were not released from their European club. I think some had played in that stupid Nations League thing and were left off the Gold Cup roster.
Just to add. I heard somewhere that FIFA regulations mandate that clubs must release their players for one official tournament finals a year. Since nations league was classified as such the clubs were not "mandated" to release the players, so the federation decided to play nice with the clubs and not call hem up. Additionally, a decent number of the players in question have club futures to figure out:

Steffen: stay as #2 or get a loan/transfer
Adams/Reyna/McKinnie: fight for starting spot with new coaches
Pulisic: work on his health and cement a first 11 spot
Richards: coming back from injury, needs to figure out loan

etc......