Corners….Why Do Teams Bother?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I know all of the above and have said as much in other posts. You've misunderstood what I was saying.

The issue I had was your contention that being awarded less corners was the reason for scoring a higher percentage of them which is nonsense. You specifically highlighted that part of my post and insinuated I didn't under basic maths.

Even now you're continuing to explain to me how percentages are calculated. Yes it's been discussed before and teams at the bottom of the table practice corners and set pieces a lot more than the top clubs.
No, I dont care what youre saying, because what youre talking about was never my point. You dragged me into this conversation by misunderstanding what I was saying. Which was that 1.9% conversation (or 4 goals from 208 corners)might look bad on paper. But the reality is that is the pretty much average. Any other topic has nothing to do with me.

Withnail

No, I dont care what youre saying, because what youre talking about was never my point. You dragged me into this conversation by misunderstanding what I was saying. Which was that 1.9% conversation (or 4 goals from 208 corners)might look bad on paper. But the reality is that is the pretty much average. Any other topic has nothing to do with me.
:lol:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
No issue with the numbers, just with the causality you assumed. And that causality is an attempt of an explanation, it is not math in itself.
Once again, I didnt assume any causality. Thats on you and the other guy determined to change my point from what it was. You can argue factors all you like, I didnt. I simply posted what the stats were for that year and how they lined up against us and the idea that WE ALONE are shit at converting corners. When in reality we are around the average.

abundance

Supports
Inter
In another thread, @Classical Mechanic posted the Reddit post below - more fuel for the idea that pump-the-ball-into-the-box corners may not be the optimal way to use corner kicks.
from the linked github page, I'd like to point out:

Question: What is considered as a "goal from corner"?
Answer: In this project only "the second touch goals" is analysed.
That mean the simplest scheme: Cross from corner -> Shot. No 3rd touch. No intermediate passes. No direct goals from the corner spot. Why? Cause statszone represents data only in that manner.
That cut-off leaves out a lot of ways for that pump-the-ball-into-the-box corner to turn into a goal (or a penalty).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I've tried explaining this about three times but he's sticking to the point that getting more corners means you score a lower % of them and that's somehow maths. I'm baffled.
Me too... How someone using the word "because" can deny that he talked about causalities is surely beyond me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
from the linked github page, I'd like to point out:

That cut-off leaves out a lot of ways for that pump-the-ball-into-the-box corner to turn into a goal (or a penalty).
Yeah, it's a fuzzy concept. You'd need to have a clear cut-off though, cause a short corner can also soon lead to a play in the box - so you have to been able to separate the two for meaningful statistics.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Yeah, it's a fuzzy concept. You'd need to have a clear cut-off though, cause a short corner can also soon lead to a play in the box - so you have to been able to separate the two for meaningful statistics.
Yup indeed.
To be truly meaningful each individual corner play, no matter the kind, should be cut-off the moment the defending team regroup and reorganize its defensive shape.

VivaRonaldo85

I’m sure the stats sound support we must be one of the least effective teams from corners in the league at both ends of the pitch. Has been that way for years it feels like.

stw2022

I never got why the main targets for corners are often the centre backs who lumber forward to head the ball with all the accuracy that I can.

“Great chance to get back in the game lads. Aim for the great lump who won’t score in a month of Sundays”

Abraxas

If the odds are 3% to score, isn't that reasonably high? What would be expected, a 25% chance off a dead ball that was blocked out of play?

3% must be higher than the chance of a random counter, the counter isn't even guaranteed to get going as it has to fall right, then it has to be converted across the entire pitch.

Also, what's the chance to score from a random attack? It must be extremely low, if you think of average goals per game. So in that context the corner is offering a good opportunity, particularly if you are competent with them. Our chances are probably much lower as our delivery is inconsistent and only 1 or 2 people want to win the ball.

Chief123

Another corner that leads to a goal against us. Yeah what’s the point? Just cause we are shit at scoring from corners most other teams aren’t. Every corner against us is as good as a penalty nowadays.