Coronavirus Cricket Auction Draft (Test)

FINAL: Which team would win on a slow dustbowl minefield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
AB is batting way too low here, is a top/middle order bat.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
AB is batting way too low here, is a top/middle order bat.
I don't mind him at 7 in this team, as he can play any way that's required. Aggressive if runs need to be piled on or can rebuild. He's class so you'd obviously want him higher up the order in most teams, but no reason why he can't bat 7.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't mind him at 7 in this team, as he can play any way that's required. Aggressive if runs need to be piled on or can rebuild. He's class so you'd obviously want him higher up the order in most teams, but no reason why he can't bat 7.
Yes he can do the job there but it just seems a waste of his talent. If you put him at no. 4 he can score a run a ball ton setting the tone for the innings and allowing more time for the bowlers. In this position he's used as a safety net if wickets fall early (which would curb his natural game as the tendency is to play defensive if you lose early wickets) or come in for a slog. He's a proper batsman who should be in the top end of the batting.

Last edited:

Indnyc

Yes he can do the job there but it just seems a waste of his talent. If you put him at no. 4 he can score a run a ball ton setting the tone for the innings and allowing more time for the bowlers. In this position he's used as a safety net if wickets fall early (which would curb his natural game as the tendecency is to play defensive if you lose early wickets) or come in for a slog. He's a proper batsman who should be in the top end of the batting.
The reason he is slightly lower than usual is because he is also keeping wickets.. I contemplated moving him further up but I like his position here..

In case if quick fall of wickets, he is a safety net for sure.. But he’s also someone who can take the game away from the opposition with a quick fire 50 -60 runs to demoralize them..

Indnyc

[QUOTE
Hayden, Boycott, Amla, Root all have higher (than career) batting averages in India (similar pitches). Plus it helps us that Vettori is the sole spinner in opposition.

Overall, we have equal players comfortable playing spin..with added advantage of sporting an extra spinner too.
This is partially true.. If you look at Indian sub continent, Amla has a terrible record.. He averages less than 30 in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Pakistan

Same for Joe root who averages less than 40 in Sri Lanka and has roughly the same as career average in India..

Hayden averages 51 in India vs 50 career average.. However just 40 in Sri Lanka and 38 in Bangladesh..

So i don't see how they are better than my batting line up in the sub continent pitches..

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So i don't see how they are better than my batting line up in the sub continent pitches..
I'd say my operers are definitely a better duo. MIddle order is nearly at par and AbdV playing this low will only help as a stop gap effort and not really placed to dominate the innings like he could have if played earlier. Also I think my bowling unit has a direct edge over yours, both in stats and in variety.

Why have you put in batting averages for your bowlers instead of their bowling figures?

Indnyc

I'd say my operers are definitely a better duo. MIddle order is nearly at par and AbdV playing this low will only help as a stop gap effort and not really placed to dominate the innings like he could have if played earlier. Also I think my bowling unit has a direct edge over yours, both in stats and in variety.

Why have you put in batting averages for your bowlers instead of their bowling figures?
Your top 4 is better..

My middle and lower order is significantly better though.. Border, Clarke, AbD > Root, Engineer, Kapil..

In addition, both Vettori and Broad can bat..

The bowling averages are the last column

Mani

Indnyc overkilled with too many batsmen could’ve easily dropped Pujara,and could’ve gone with other bowler or bowling allrounderJaya at 3,Border at 4 and ABD at 5 ,on other EAP’s eleven looks more balanced to me.
Edit:Just noted he got Clarke too
Who is your 12th man?if he’s a bowler you can drop Pujara and pick him.

Indnyc

Indnyc overkilled with too many batsmen could’ve easily dropped Pujara,and could’ve gone with other bowler or bowling allrounderJaya at 3,Border at 4 and ABD at 5 ,on other EAP’s eleven looks more balanced to me.
Edit:Just noted he got Clarke too
Who is your 12th man?if he’s a bowler you can drop Pujara and pick him.
My 12th man is an idiot who told me after i finished my drafting that he played 1 test match with Holding.. Such a dumbass.. (Walsh)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
My 12th man is an idiot who told me after i finished my drafting that he played 1 test match with Holding.. Such a dumbass.. (Walsh)
I messed up as well buying Brett Lee when I forgot Steve Smith played ODI before tests.

Match 6: Interval vs Paulscholes18

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Please vote for one of the teams that you believe would win on a flat pancake road.

Discussions encouraged. Write ups to follow.

Team @Interval
  1. Herbert Sutcliffe
  2. Bill Woodfull (c)
  3. Jimmy Amarnath
  4. Alvin Kallicharan
  5. Clyde Walcott
  6. Mike Hussey
  7. Alan Knott (wk)
  8. Anil Kumble
  9. Jimmy Anderson
  10. Denis Lillee
  11. Shoaib Akhtar
Team @paulscholes18
  1. Virender Sehwag
  2. Gordon Greenidge
  3. Younis Khan
  4. Kevin Pietersen
  5. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
  6. Steve Waugh (c)
  7. Brendon McCullum (wk)
  8. Ryan Harris
  9. Rangana Herath
  10. Bob Willis
  11. Kagiso Rabada

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Team @Interval

1. Herbert Sutcliffe: Averages 61; best opener in the draft
2. Bill Woodfull (c): Averages 51 as an opener - calm, patient, technically adept; Captain of Australia in the Bodyline series. Part of the best Aussie teams ever.
3. Jimmy Amarnath: Averages 43 but 48 at number 3. Whats unique is unlike other Indian batsmen, his average outside India is HIGHER than in India.
4. Alvin Kallicharan: Averages 44. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever and part of the best W. Indies team ever.
5. Clyde Walcott: Averages 57. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever. Need I say more?
6. Mike Hussey: Averages 52. Reliable. Can play around the lower order too.
7. Alan Knott: Averages 33 with 5 hundreds. Best Wicket keeper England has produced as per ESPNCRICINFO. Will be important in keeping to the likes of Lillee and Akhtar
8. Anil Kumble: 619 wickets @30. Long spell bowler. Extra-ordinarily useful on flat tracks too. Can bat a little and has a test hundred and 5 fifties.
9. Jimmy Anderson: Swing king. 584 wickets @27. Will help capitalise on early morning swing
10. Denis Lillee: 355 wickets@24. Will scare the scrap out of the opposition.
11. Shoaib Akhtar: Aside from the useless accent - good bowler. 178 wickets @ 26 and can scare the shit out of anyone on his day.

Strategy:
His bowling is good but my batsmen can handle it. Deadly was tailored for wet pitches and Herath, outside of dust bowls leaves a lot to be desired. Rabada and Willis are good but can be seen off by my openers who are probably the best pair to see them out.

His batting is truly great for a flat pitch. It would have been easier to get him out on a swinging wicket. But he has a lot of mavericks in his team - Greenidge, Sehwag, KP, McCullum. Moreover, Sehwag and Younis Khan to some nice short ball treatment would be fun.

Eventually, its going to boil down to multiple draws on this kind of a pitch and that one off match where my bowling breaks his batting down. Because in terms of batting quality - I can match up. My openers are better - his MO of KP, Chanderpaul, YK and S Waugh is equivalent to Walcott, Hussey, Kallicharan and Jimmy. Then he's got McCullum, who in tests is strictly average.

---

Team @paulscholes18

Virender Sehwag
Tests 104, 100/50 - 23/32 Runs 8,586 Avg 49.34 (50.04 opening)
5th highest opener run scorer of all time, 1 of only 4 players to have scored more than one 300+ scores to his name, holds the record for the fastest 300 which came off 278 balls
Arguably the most destructive opener of all time with a SR of 82.
Wisden Leading Cricketer in the world 08, 09

Sir Gordon Greenridge
Tests 108, 100/50 19/34, Runs 7558 avg 44.72 (45.11 opening)
hit two double 100s in England when they beat them 5-0 including one on the final day at Lords when they needed 342 to win which is still a record chase at lords.
in 2009 he was inducted to the hall of fame

Younis Khan
Tests 118 100/50 34/33 Runs 10,099 avg 52.05 (51.33 batting 3)
Leading Pakistan run scorer of all time, only batsman with over 10,000 runs to have scored more 100s than 50s
in 2009 he topped the ICC rankings as the best batsman in the world, after his match saving 313

Kevin Pietersen
Tests 104 100/50 23/35 Runs 8,181 avg 47.28 (48.43 batting 4)when she
Came to England as a sub-par leggy, left England as one of their greatest ever players, made a name for himself on debut in the 05 ashes when he smashed Glenn McGrath back over his head for 6, and went from strength to strength, after his 1st 25 test matches he was 2nd only (and still is) to Don Bradman in that regard (2,448).

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Tests 164 100/50 30/66 runs 11,867 avg 51.37
Leading run scorer batting 5
holds the record for getting 50s not out in both innings of a test with 4
faced the 4th most deliveries in test match history

Steve Waugh
Tests 168 100/50 32/50 Runs 10,927 avg 51.06 (51.05 batting 6)
Started the 95 season as the worlds leading test batsman. his record as captain 41 wins in 57 tests which included 16 test wins in a row
leading run scorer bating 6 (also 2nd only to Chanderpaul batting 5)
faced the 10th most deliveries in test matches

Brendon McCullum
Tests 101 100/50 12/31 Runs 6,453 avg 38.64 (38.91 batting 7)
played all 101 tests consecutively
got a 300 to his name one of the black caps finest ever players

Bowlers
Ryan Harris
Tests 27 wickets 113 avg 23.52

Fantastic fast bowler, shame injuries limited him to just 27 caps.
in the 2013 ashes in England he was the pick of the fast bowlers taking 24 wickets @19.58 and picked two five-wicket hauls

Rangana Herath
Tests 93 Wickets 433 avg 28.08
2nd leading wicket taker for Sri Lanka
he was the 3rd bowler in history to take a five-wicket haul against all test playing nations
leading left arm spinner wicket taker of all time

Bob Willis
Tests 90 wickets 325 avg 25.20
best figures 8/43 came In the Ashes as England won by 18 runs after being made to follow on.

Kagiso Rabada
Tests 43 Wickets 197 avg 22.95
1 of 3 bowlers to take their 1st 100 test wickets in under 2 years

How to win on a flat pitch is to bat once and bat long, with Waugh and Chanderpaul with 92 not outs between them (46 each no other recognisable batsman has more), they certainly know how to do that, best way to take wickets is fast aggressive bowling and with Rabada and Harris I have that covered

Moby

Dick
Not sure about ps18's bowling unit there, but Lillee's (very short) subcontinent exposure has a shockingly bad record. And Anderson is well known to be effective when the conditions are helpful, so can see him being a bit toothless on a flat pitch.

paulscholes18

@Samid can you swap Waugh and Chanderpaul. I changed my mind during the write up and forgot to swap them in the team sheet

Himannv

In general I like the balance of both teams. 6 proper batsmen, 1 keeper, 3 quicks, and a spinner. Very nice.

The bowling attacks are what will decide this for me. On paper, I think Lillee, Akthar, Anderson, and Kumble is probably the better attack, although Anderson is going to be somewhat useless in these conditions.

For the other team, I think Harris is quite underrated, Rabada is the star bowler, and a better bowler than Willis would have swung this in his favour. Herath is fine.

Just about leaning towards Interval at the moment due to Lillee.

Interval

Level
Not sure about ps18's bowling unit there, but Lillee's (very short) subcontinent exposure has a shockingly bad record. And Anderson is well known to be effective when the conditions are helpful, so can see him being a bit toothless on a flat pitch.
Think this is slightly unfair. So I checked out his exposure to the subcontinent and its poor because they were dust bowls.

He's played only 4 matches there and bowled in only 6 innings out of those.
3 Matches in Pakistan
MAtch 1, innings 1: He picked up no wickets. Spinners accounted for 15 out of 20 wickets
Match 1 innings 2: He picked up no wickets. Spinners accounted for 14 out of 13 wickets
Match 2 innings 1: He picked up no wickets. Spinners accounted for 6 out of 10 wickets (excl run-out); aussies got only 1 wicket in the entire match
Match 3 innings 1: He picked up THREE wickets. Spinners accounted for 11 out of 16 wickets
Match 3 innings 2: Australia never bowled a second time. Spinners accounted for 4 out of 8 wickets for Pakistan

1 MAtch in Srilanka
Sri Lanka bowled only once and 1 out of 4 Aussie wickets was by a spinner
In the two SL innings combined, Spinners accounted for 13 of the 18 wickets
Lillee took 3 of the remaining 5

Interval

Level
Best opener in the draft? That would be Hutton, Hobbs, or Gavaskar, all of whom are better than him. I also judge Richards to be better than him, but he obviously doesn't qualify for this draft.
Fair. One of the best openers in the draft would be more apt. I'm not sure whether all were definitely better than him, its a hard judgement for someone who played a hundred years ago. But from everything Ive read and tried to see, hes definitely up there

Himannv

Not sure about ps18's bowling unit there, but Lillee's (very short) subcontinent exposure has a shockingly bad record.
A bit nitpicky, but I don't see why we'd specifically talk about sub-continent pitches here. Those could just as easily be dustbowls. There were flat pitches in other countries as well, albeit they were slightly less common during Lillee's time.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Worth mentioning PS has got the better fifth bowler in Waugh and there'll be some long-ass bowling stints needed on this pitch.

Outside of that the batting looks well-matched against each other, in terms of how they'd handle the opposition bowling I'm probably leaning Interval.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Worth mentioning PS has got the better fifth bowler in Waugh and there'll be some long-ass bowling stints needed on this pitch.

Outside of that the batting looks well-matched against each other, in terms of how they'd handle the opposition bowling I'm probably leaning Interval.
I think Interval's bowling is in a different class. Problem is the pitch. His line up is best suited for a green pitch with 3 good pacers and ps's batting will also would have been exposed in a bowler friendly wicket. On a flat wicket, ps's batting line is actually better since likes of Sehwag, KP and Jaya level up. Personally I don't see this being anything else but a draw, but Interval's bowling gives him an outside chance of winning perhaps so went with him.

Interval

Level
I think Interval's bowling is in a different class. Problem is the pitch. His line up is best suited for a green pitch with 3 good pacers and ps's batting will also would have been exposed in a bowler friendly wicket. On a flat wicket, ps's batting line is actually better since likes of Sehwag, KP and Jaya level up. Personally I don't see this being anything else but a draw, but Interval's bowling gives him an outside chance of winning perhaps so went with him.
This is precisely what I wrote. 9 times out of 10 this is a draw. But while my batting isn't vastly inferior (if at all), my bowling is much better. Kumble is better than Herath, Lillee+Jimmy+Akhtar is better than Rabada+Harris+Willis.

Also, I know how everyone are saying that Jimmy is useless, but he isn't that bad. I mean, youre still talking about someone who has taken almost 600 wickets. There is a vast gap between career achievements of my 4 bowlers and his. But not so much in terms of batting.

On a batting firendly wicket this is more of an even contest just like you said, but I'd prefer my chances only because I don't see his bowling taking 20 wickets each and every match.

Oh and Jimmy and Walcott can bowl. In fact, apart from being a kepper, Walcott has bowled close to 200 overs in the 20 innings he wasn't a keeper.