Coronavirus Draft - R1 - 2mufc0 vs Harms

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
.......................................................2MUFC0............................................................................................................ HARMS...................................................

2MUFC0 MADE A TACTICAL SWITCH AT HALF TIME. HIS ORIGINAL FORMATION IS BELOW AFTER THE CURRENT FORMATIONS

TEAM 2MUFC0 BEFORE TACTICAL SWITCH

TEAM 2MUFC0

The aim of the team was to build a solid base behind Zico and surround him with attacking players that have excellent movement, eye for goals and creativity. The back line line and midfield provides energy, power as well as creativity to link attack with defence. Jairzinho and Rivaldo provide the Joga Bonito flair in wide areas and will be able to combine nicely with Zico. Suarez leads the line harrying the opposition defence and creating the space for Zico and others to exploit, his goal scoring will also be utilised with the abundance of creativity from the attacking players.

In terms of defence the central core of midfielders and defenders provide a robust defence and Brehme and Maldini provide world class defensive cover in wide areas where the main threat of the opposition will be. The dominant Schmeichel guards the goal making it difficult for the opposition to score.

TEAM HARMS

Match-winning advantage?

Regardless of the way that 2mufc0 is going to set up his defense (Maldini, Brehme & Gentile give him a lot of options), there’s going to be at least one player in a suboptimal position and I’ll have a huge advantage in the air. I have 2 players that are among the best offensive headers of the ball in history (Sándor Kocsis (1,77m/5’10″), who had scored more than 400 headed goals, and Ruud Gullit (1,91m./6’3″), an absolute colossus), Bryan Robson (1,77m/5’10″), who had scored so many iconic headers & Sol Campbell (1,88/6’2″), who is going to be joining them at corners and set-pieces. There’s tons of creative options all over the pitch as well — Best, Rivera, Bozsik, Gullit, R. Carlos and Leandro, providing all different kinds of service. And I want to mention specifically that my tactics are not limited to crossing, the beauty of my team is in the variety of the attacking options, but this is an area where I have the crucial advantage.

2mufc0 has Armando Picchi (1,71m/5’7″), who had always played with a physical stopper; Gentile (1,77m/5’10″), who usually played out wide, with Brio (Juve) or Collovati (Italy) partnering Scirea; and Maldini — the only one providing great aerial presence, although playing him centrally puts him down from a GOAT tier to «just» a world-class one.

A couple things about my team

I made this compilation specifically for this match up, since Ruud Gullit is playing against Paolo Maldini here, like he probably would in this game, although in the clip Maldini also had Franco Baresi covering for him — a luxury that he wouldn't have here. Gullit second-half performance is just amazing — he was all over the pitch, winning the ball in the air, driving the team forward and, obviously, making an assist and scoring a winner.

I'm not sure if I should post a video, but there's enough of those on YouTube — I want to highlight that Kocsis was not only a goalscoring machine (which he was), but also a very mobile striker with great link up play. He's going to be a great fit for Best and Gullit, who are playing alongside him, all three are going to form a very fluid and multi-faceted attacking unit.

And another discussion point

Brazil of 1982, which is the side that 2mufc0 is probably going to pick as a reference point, was an absolutely magical side. There haven’t been many of those — maybe French carré magique, but that’s about it. It’s such a unique set up, which was based on a brilliant synergy between all four midfielders. And while man-for-man you can even argue that 2mufc0 had improved that midfield, there’s really a huge clash between the style of his holding midfielders and his attacking ones. If it was a simple midfield 3, I wouldn’t have argued that, but here, with every player having less space to work in, you have to have them on the same wavelength, and that wavelength is Zico’s.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'll probably post a bit more of those if I'll have time — an example of Bozsik-Kocsis link up :drool:

harms

Staff
I thought that this team was a 1982-remake, not a 4-2-3-1. Interesting. Picchi-Gentile is a huge issue though, but I don't have much criticism about the rest of the team.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good team @harms, and interesting tactic, but would point out that none of your wingers or full backs were particularly known for high crosses in wide areas.

I think our best tactic would be to target your weakest points (full backs) who weren't the most defensively sound.

And what is your instruction to stop Zico, will you be pinning Robson onto him?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good team @harms, and interesting tactic, but would point out that none of your wingers or full backs were particularly known for high crosses in wide areas.
In my view, Carlos, Best & Gullit were very good crossers, Leandro I can't say.

I really like your team, it's brilliant almost everywhere, but that one aspect of harms' aerial threat is pretty obvious imo.

Interested in the answer to your Zico question, though.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I thought that this team was a 1982-remake, not a 4-2-3-1. Interesting. Picchi-Gentile is a huge issue though, but I don't have much criticism about the rest of the team.
Koscis wasn't a particularly tall player, which goes to show it isn't all about height, I would be interesting to see where Gentile/Picchi were weak in the air? Any source? These guys won everything playing 100s of games in very physical era's I've never heard of it being a weakness as such. Plus I've also mentioned your wide players not really being known for high crosses.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
In my view, Carlos, Best & Gullit were very good crossers, Leandro I can't say.

I really like your team, it's brilliant almost everywhere, but that one aspect of harms' aerial threat is pretty obvious imo.

Interested about the answer to your Zico question, though.
Carlos was pretty good at low crosses, but I don't recall him putting many high crosses, plus he never really had his teams weren't built for that. Plus I would also put the question to you as well, what do you know about Picchi and Gnetile being poor in the air?

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Was talking about high crosses, I think you would agree he didn't really do that.
I wouldnt say he didnt but not a lot from what I remember. The Flamengo/Brazil teams of that era didnt really rely on headers to score goals if memory serves me right

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Another counter to the Moyes's death by 1000 crosses tactic is Schmeichel, one of the most dominant keepers in the box, I remember him plucking the ball out of the air countless times and punching the ball away when necessary.

GodShaveTheQueen

Here I was thinking this was going to be a nice little compilation of all Leandro's crosses all bundled up into a 5 minute clip. It was only after I clicked play that I realized it was a 2 and a half hour video.
Try finding Leandro content on youtube, its scarce and this video covers him completely as a player (defensively/offensively, full back/midfield roles).

Watch it if you do pick him sometime :)

Himannv

Try finding Leandro content on youtube, its scarce and this video covers him completely as a player (defensively/offensively, full back/midfield roles).

Watch it if you do pick him sometime :)
I'll put it on my list right after "The Texas Vibrator Massacre".

On a different note, do you actually have a job outside of watching ancient football matches all day? A follow up question: how do I get myself such a job?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Carlos was pretty good at low crosses, but I don't recall him putting many high crosses, plus he never really had to his teams weren't built for that. Plus I would also put the question to you as well, what so you know about Picchi and Gnetile being poor in the air?
First of all a second though on Best: from what I've seen, his crosses with his left foot were not as good as those with his right. So I'd have him only as a secondary threat (in that regard) when playing LW. But from what I saw, he did quite a bit of "classical" wing play & crossing, including when coming from the left. (My reference is a Northern Ireland game where he played LW.)

On Carlos, it's simply my memory that he could well overlap and whip them in with precision (the 2002 CL final probably being the most famous occasion). Maybe others can give their opinion on that as well? Gullit was a great crosser.

What I've said so far is that the aerial threat is there - which I think is obvious. Imo, the question now is what your defense can do to address this threat. I'm sceptical there, but open for correction, of course.

GodShaveTheQueen

On a different note, do you actually have a job outside of watching ancient football matches all day? A follow up question: how do I get myself such a job?
Creating a few Leandro crosses gifs. Will respond after that. Here's a teaser :D

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Koscis wasn't a particularly tall player, which goes to show it isn't all about height, I would be interesting to see where Gentile/Picchi were weak in the air? Any source? These guys won everything playing 100s of games in very physical era's I've never heard of it being a weakness as such. Plus I've also mentioned your wide players not really being known for high crosses.
Kocsis, Passarella, Seeler, Cannavaro... there are very few "not particularly tall" players that were exceptional in the air. And all of them are well-documented.

Picchi always had a very physical stopper next to him, who was the one challenging for all of the incoming aerial balls — and for the most of his career he had Facchetti (1,91m/6'3") next to him, also often participating in aerial battles centrally. Picchi stood back and took care of the rebounds.

Gentile for most of his career played either as a right or as a left back, usually marking wingers (in the exceptional cases, like in 1982, he was given a free role to man-mark the main threat like Zico or Maradona). He was great against agile dribblers, and that was his main strength. Scirea wasn't a colossus himself in terms of his physique, hence why Juventus had played Sergio Brio (1,90m/6'3") next to him — Brio wasn't an exceptional player, but he was needed because of his aerial presence and he had played almost 400 games for Juve in one of the most successful periods in club's history. For Italy, Brio was rarely called up, but they didn't partner Scirea with Gentile either — the role of a stopper was usually trusted either to Collovati or to Vierchowod.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
First of all a second though on Best: from what I've seen, his crosses with his left foot were not as good as those with his right. So I'd have him only as a secondary threat (in that regard) when playing LW. But from what I saw, he did quite a bit of "classical" wing play & crossing, including when coming from the left. (My reference is a Northern Ireland game where he played LW.)

On Carlos, it's simply my memory that he could well overlap and whip them in with precision (the 2002 CL final probably being the most famous occasion). Maybe others can give their opinion on that as well? Gullit was a great crosser.

What I've said so far is that the aerial threat is there - which I think is obvious. Imo, the question now is what your defense can do to address this threat. I'm sceptical there, but open for correction, of course.
I agree Gullit was pretty complete, the video harms shared showed him in a free role, he was often found deep in central midfield, no. 10, as well as on both wings, but he didn't really go down down the byline like a traditional winger, so if he's playing a similar role I don't believe the crossing threat will be as consistent. As for Carlos, I personally don't recall high crosses being a particularly notable attribute. But on the flip side I can see Jairzinho exposing his defensive frailties.

As for the central defenders being poor in the air I've seen no justification for this apart for their height. But this point is often false, lower height does not always automatically mean poor heading ability and there are plenty of players in history that prove this, Kocsis and Cannavaro are good examples.

I've never come across Picchi or Gentile being poor in the air, as I've already pointed out both have played successfully in some of the most physical era's, if it was an issue it would be evident. With regards to Gentile he played a lot of his career covering for Scirea as the tucked in centre back, who wasn't known for being dominant in the air, and won everything in such a setup.

Then you also have Schmeichel who was also dominant in the air as a counter. I'm not saying Koscis won't be a threat in the air, he would be one against any defender. But I also have bigger threats imo, Zico and the front 3 have too much quality for his back line who are a level below defensively in what is required to stop them.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
To put the focus on the other team's defense as well - @harms what about Zico and the wing threat?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Kocsis, Passarella, Seeler, Cannavaro... there are very few "not particularly tall" players that were exceptional in the air. And all of them are well-documented.

Picchi always had a very physical stopper next to him, who was the one challenging for all of the incoming aerial balls — and for the most of his career he had Facchetti (1,91m/6'3") next to him, also often participating in aerial battles centrally. Picchi stood back and took care of the rebounds.

Gentile for most of his career played either as a right or as a left back, usually marking wingers (in the exceptional cases, like in 1982, he was given a free role to man-mark the main threat like Zico or Maradona). He was great against agile dribblers, and that was his main strength. Scirea wasn't a colossus himself in terms of his physique, hence why Juventus had played Sergio Brio (1,90m/6'3") next to him — Brio wasn't an exceptional player, but he was needed because of his aerial presence and he had played almost 400 games for Juve in one of the most successful periods in club's history. For Italy, Brio was rarely called up, but they didn't partner Scirea with Gentile either — the role of a stopper was usually trusted either to Collovati or to Vierchowod.
So there is nothing documented that either were poor on the air, that's all I wanted to establish. Picchi has Maldini and Gentile to support him in the 'physical' aspects of the game.

harms

Staff
Aside from Carlos, Leandro, Best and Gullit, all of whom can provide a wide variety of crosses (including high ones), there's also Bozsik & Rivera. I've posted one clip of Bozsik/Kocsis, but there are really lots of those examples — with floating passes through the middle for Kocsis to score or to make an assist. Kocsis was insane not only because he jumped the highest (that's where the likes of Cristiano come in), but because his ball-control with his head is probably the best that I've seen — the accuracy and variety of actions he can do with it is unmatched.

Both Bozsik and Rivera had tons of assists like that — I don't want to overload the thread with videos further since I'm already going to post quite a lot of them, but take a look at any Rivera compilation.

And another point — while the height advantage is obvious, it's not going to be the only tactic. But with so many attention towards it — and your center backs will always need to be in a state of a high alert, you'll have more space and opportunities to break through using different ways of playing.

For example — here's Bozsik intercepting the ball and instantly finding Kocsis running into space. This is from the World Cup final, no less.

harms

Staff
To put the focus on the other team's defense as well - @harms what about Zico and the wing threat?
Robson plays a very important role here, because his job is both keeping an eye on Zico & helping out Carlos. It sounds insane, but Robson really was one of the few players, like Matthäus, who could somehow combine and perform different complicated tasks during one game. At the back, Chumpitaz, who I've been watching quite a lot over the last few days, is a very decent fit to Zico (stylistically), as he's very tough to beat one-on-one using agility or dribbling. Van der Sar is probably the smartest keeper of all-time, which allowed him to compensate the gap in talent between him and other all-time greats — and he's going to be the main organiser of my backline, sweeping a lot of the balls that come his way. Campbell has a very easy instructions — just be himself, an athletic beast who can outmuscle and outran pretty much anyone. Bozsik is a deep-lying playmaker, who does more intercepting than tackling. Leandro & R. Carlos aren't gung-ho wingbacks, so they won't be found out constantly in the defensive phase, but they're the reason that I have a few contingency plans in Robson & Gullit.

Robbo being Robbo against Maradona & Schuster. And this is in the position when he was required to overcome the goal deficit as well!

Overall, this is a game where both defences don't look strong enough to completely stop the opposition. But I feel that my attack is more suited to exploit the more obvious weaknesses that 2mufc0's backline has than his attack is suited to exploit mine.

harms

Staff
As for the central defenders being poor in the air I've seen no justification for this apart for their height. But this point is often false, lower height does not always automatically mean poor heading ability and there are plenty of players in history that prove this, Kocsis and Cannavaro are good examples.

I've never come across Picchi or Gentile being poor in the air, as I've already pointed out both have played successfully in some of the most physical era's, if it was an issue it would be evident. With regards to Gentile he played a lot of his career covering for Scirea as the tucked in centre back, who wasn't known for being dominant in the air, and won everything in such a setup.
I mean, what more do you need? I doubt that you'll find any evidence of Picchi or Gentile being great in the air, it was never their strength and even if you don't know them enough (I've seen tons of Inter/Juve/Italy games with them featuring and I'm basing this on my personal opinion), you can judge it by his partners and set-ups that all compensated for their relative weaknesses. All information is already in the thread. There are very very few examples of relatively short players being fantastic in the air. Kocsis is, Passarella, Cannavaro, Seeler, I don't remember many more on their level, really. Billy Wright maybe, although I haven't seen that much of him.

In Herrera's system, Picchi was never competing for the aerial balls in the first place — it was mostly a quite rigid system, with stopper stepping up and fighting for the ball Picchi covering at the back (fighting for rebounds). Gentile is often paired with Scirea in mythology, since they're pretty much the complete opposites of each other, but Gentile rarely played centrally with him (although there were cases when he did, but there were more of an exception), he started as a left-back and later spent most of his career as a right back, usually marking quick and agile wingers instead of competing with physical number 9's.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I mean, what more do you need? I doubt that you'll find any evidence of Picchi or Gentile being great in the air, it was never their strength and even if you don't know them enough (I've seen tons of Inter/Juve/Italy games with them featuring and I'm basing this on my personal opinion), you can judge it by his partners and set-ups that all compensated for their relative weaknesses. All information is already in the thread. There are very very few examples of relatively short players being fantastic in the air. Kocsis is, Passarella, Cannavaro, Seeler, I don't remember many more on their level, really. Billy Wright maybe, although I haven't seen that much of him.

In Herrera's system, Picchi was never competing for the aerial balls in the first place — it was mostly a quite rigid system, with stopper stepping up and fighting for the ball Picchi covering at the back (fighting for rebounds). Gentile is often paired with Scirea in mythology, since they're pretty much the complete opposites of each other, but Gentile rarely played centrally with him (although there were cases when he did, but there were more of an exception), he started as a left-back and later spent most of his career as a right back, usually marking quick and agile wingers instead of competing with physical number 9's.
So there isn't any evidence. You say Gentile was a right back, but this wasn't a traditional right back position, some of his best football came as a tucked in right back in a zona mista system which is pretty much a third cb. I'm not expecting Picchi to cover the heading, I think most of the responsibility will be on Gentile in this respect and Maldini to assist when necessary which is more than enough.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Robson plays a very important role here, because his job is both keeping an eye on Zico & helping out Carlos. It sounds insane, but Robson really was one of the few players, like Matthäus, who could somehow combine and perform different complicated tasks during one game. At the back, Chumpitaz, who I've been watching quite a lot over the last few days, is a very decent fit to Zico (stylistically), as he's very tough to beat one-on-one using agility or dribbling. Van der Sar is probably the smartest keeper of all-time, which allowed him to compensate the gap in talent between him and other all-time greats — and he's going to be the main organiser of my backline, sweeping a lot of the balls that come his way. Campbell has a very easy instructions — just be himself, an athletic beast who can outmuscle and outran pretty much anyone. Bozsik is a deep-lying playmaker, who does more intercepting than tackling. Leandro & R. Carlos aren't gung-ho wingbacks, so they won't be found out constantly in the defensive phase, but they're the reason that I have a few contingency plans in Robson & Gullit.

Robbo being Robbo against Maradona & Schuster. And this is in the position when he was required to overcome the goal deficit as well!

Overall, this is a game where both defences don't look strong enough to completely stop the opposition. But I feel that my attack is more suited to exploit the more obvious weaknesses that 2mufc0's backline has than his attack is suited to exploit mine.
I think Robson is capable but this frees up space for my other attackers, and also for Schweinstieger to push up to team up on Bozsik. We obviously won't agree, but I don't believe your defence has the quality to stop my attack.

harms

Staff
So there isn't any evidence. You say Gentile was a right back, but this wasn't a traditional right back position, some of his best football came as a tucked in right back in a zona mista system which is pretty much a third cb. I'm not expecting Picchi to cover the heading, I think most of the responsibility will be on Gentile in this respect and Maldini to assist when necessary which is more than enough.
Zona Mista was built to face other Zona Mistas and the difference between right and left back roles were mostly decided by the difference in the roles of the opposing right winger (who played deeper) and left winger/forward, who played further up. When Hamburg mirrored their formation, everything went shit for Juve for exactly that reason. The draft interpretation of that formation is a bit too rigid by the way and doesn't fully recreate the nature of that formation.

I'm not sure what evidence do you want. You don't write about a short-ish right back that he was shit in the air — especially since he wasn't, he was just alright. But he's facing literally the deadliest header of the ball — and you try to argue that maybe Gentile and Picchi were great in the air, because there are handful of short players who are considered great in the air? They're just proving the opposite — the fact, that you and I can only think of a few names proves that generally shorter players are worse in the air. Especially when there's 20cm between, say, Picchi and Gullit.

The same can be said about Chumpitaz on my side by the way. Was he shit in the air? Not particularly. Is he going to be exposed on that front when facing the likes of Kocsis, Cristiano & Vieri? Yes.

harms

Staff
I think Robson is capable but this frees up space for my other attackers, and also for Schweinstieger to push up to team up on Bozsik. We obviously won't agree, but I don't believe your defence has the quality to stop my attack.
You're literally quoting the post where I'm saying that my defence is not good enough to completely stop your attack, and vice versa. Both of our teams clearly have better attacking units than defensive ones, the question is, on which side the margin will be bigger.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Zona Mista was built to face other Zona Mistas and the difference between right and left back roles were mostly decided by the difference in the roles of the opposing right winger (who played deeper) and left winger/forward, who played further up. When Hamburg mirrored their formation, everything went shit for Juve for exactly that reason. The draft interpretation of that formation is a bit too rigid by the way and doesn't fully recreate the nature of that formation.

I'm not sure what evidence do you want. You don't write about a short-ish right back that he was shit in the air — especially since he wasn't, he was just alright. But he's facing literally the deadliest header of the ball — and you try to argue that maybe Gentile and Picchi were great in the air, because there are handful of short players who are considered great in the air? They're just proving the opposite — the fact, that you and I can only think of a few names proves that generally shorter players are worse in the air. Especially when there's 20cm between, say, Picchi and Gullit.

The same can be said about Chumpitaz on my side by the way. Was he shit in the air? Not particularly. Is he going to be exposed on that front when facing the likes of Kocsis, Cristiano & Vieri? Yes.
I've already acknowledged Kocsis is a threat in the air against any defence, you haven't brought anything compelling forward that Picchi supported by Gentile and Maldini would be particularly exposed in the air. And who are also backed up by Schmeichel behind them. I think this argument has been exhausted.

harms

Staff
That can't be correct. There were no zona mistas before the first zona mista :D
Fair enough :lol:

Still, the system had evolved to face similar teams — and when Hamburg mirrored the system horizontally in the European Cup final, it caught them by complete surprise.

harms

Staff
I've already acknowledged Kocsis is a threat in the air against any defence, you haven't brought anything compelling forward that Picchi supported by Gentile and Maldini would be particularly exposed in the air. And who are also backed up by Schmeichel behind them. I think this argument has been exhausted.
Well, that's for the others to decide :)

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You're literally quoting the post where I'm saying that my defence is not good enough to completely stop your attack, and vice versa. Both of our teams clearly have better attacking units than defensive ones, the question is, on which side the margin will be bigger.
I think it's a good summary, but my full backs are superior and so is my keeper. I would also back Big Dunc and Bastian to win that midfield battle in both attacking and defensive phases. Jairzinho and Rivaldo vs those wing backs I would back the attackers to get something out of them too.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It seems complimentary at first sight, but I would like a more selfless runner on either side of Zico (Suarez is a very good fit upfront though). Also, didn't Rivaldo hate playing on the left-wing?

For harms, Bozsik and Rivera in the same side offer more than enough of playmaking. Maybe a pure holder instead of Bozsik would fit better. Everything else looks pretty damn good. Same for 2mufc0, aside for that remark above.

harms

Staff
For harms, Bozsik and Rivera in the same side offer more than enough of playmaking. Maybe a pure holder instead of Bozsik would fit better. Everything else looks pretty damn good. Same for 2mufc0, aside for that remark above.
I thought so, but after rewatching all of the Hungarian highlights* from the 50's, I figured that he'd provide enough defensively from that position. Although I'm open to twitching the balance of that trio going forward.

*By the way, this is, quite possibly, the best football playlist on YouTube :drool:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It seems complimentary at first sight, but I would like a more selfless runner on either side of Zico (Suarez is a very good fit upfront though). Also, didn't Rivaldo hate playing on the left-wing?
That's what I was thinking

harms

Staff
Also, didn't Rivaldo hate playing on the left-wing?
That's what I was thinking
I share your concerns, and, as @fontaine once rightly noticed:

RIVALDO WAS A GREAT PLAYER BUT A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH LVG BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING EVENTHOUGH HE WON BALLON DO'R IN THAT POSITION
TOUGH PERSONALITY ? HE STILL WON PLENTY CLUB AND NATIONLEVEL
NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
SORRY ITS THE PHONE

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

He's not really playing out and out left winger here, the idea is to be flexible and allow interchangeablity, like Rivaldo did in 98 and 2002. Zico and Jairzinho played with similar flair players throughout their careers, I think think they would work nicely together.